Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Telling Suarez he cant go to Arsenal is one thing but blocking a move to Barcelona would almost certainly be dragged through the courts. Henry isn't a foolish man he got away with it once he won't go that route again. If Barcelona are willing to pony up the £75m he is gone, it's a great fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'd take him, but not at £40m. I don't think he's better than Sturridge.

Yeah but is he better than Giroud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah but was there a clause last summer?
    Who knows.

But there was a santa clause last christmas

christmas_animated2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Not sure he's worth £40M but I'd be happy with us getting players of that quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gafferino wrote: »
    Yeah but is he better than Giroud?

He's good, but he's not THAT good

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

every day that goes by in the transfer window and glen Johnson remains a Liverpool player makes me more and more suicidal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Bony is a beast lads. He won't replace Luis but who would. If be delighted with him. I think people looking for Jackson Martinez over him are almost basing that solely on the fact he plays in a different league. Bony is a far better player IMO.

Bony could be our Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

joe123 wrote: »
    Wilfred Bony. Good god almighty.

Not worth near 19 million and is one of the slowest players in the league to boot. Lambert can do what Bony does.

I just don't understand whats going on with our transfer dealings. Overpaying for average players is our game it seems.

I would love Martinez. Even Remy at this stage.

From what I've seen I think Lambert is better than Bony.

I refuse to believe there is any meat on this rumor.

Remy is on a different level to Bony and comes with a very low price tag. A no brainer surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wilfred Bony...good god. When are we going to sign those top tier players that being in the Champions League allows you to sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Benzema for £40 million is way too much imo and that's coming from someone who likes him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Benzema is not leaving Madrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Bony is Suarez's replacement :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Actually, a question I've never seen asked. How much do ye all think Sturridge is worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Benzema is worth every penny of 40M. Fabulous player, who would be devastating in the PL. This is the standard of player Liverpool should be looking at to replace Suarez. Not Bony M.

Edit: As a United fan, I think you should sign Bony. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Saptimus Prime hit the nail on the head yesterday....thread has crossed the line into Naked Gun/Airplane territory

As long as we don't slide into Naked Gun 33 and a third territory, I'd be content.
    Now if we somehow go into the Pink Panther remake zone, I'd be worried.

Good player but I'd be concerned about his work rate and his motivation. To lose the work rate of Suarez and replace with his would be a big drop in harassment of opposition defenders.

edit: I like him as a player too but would question his work rate in our system and most of the players that the club are linked with and buying have high work rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wilfred Bony, I like him but to replace Suarez is pretty underwhelming. I reckon he would get a lot of goals, that Swansea team he was in last season was awful, they were lucky to avoid relegation. They had so much possession in match but created nothing, he was starved of service anytime I watch them.
    To score 25 in that team is impressive.

My issue with him is he isn't creative, he's slower than Suarez, I just don't see where he fits in with Rodgers. He isn't versatile to play across the front 3 which Rodgers likes.

Its gut wrenching but there isn't a single player out there to replace Suarez. I would have had Sanchez but I wouldn't be a fan of Benzema.

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Actually, a question I've never seen asked. How much do ye all think Sturridge is worth?

Hard to say. Diego Costa went for £32 million and Sturridge is younger and has had a better goalscoring record for the last 2 seasons.

Opinions on players are mad. I'm a striker who has scored goals all my life (double hat-trick once at under 12's) I know a good striker when I see one.

I've never rated Benzema yet I think Higuain is a world beater.

And to put the fear of God into you I'd also have Bertrand, Micah Richards and Remy in a heartbeat. Lost all cred now I'm sure but that's opinions for ya. They would cost lest than £20 million combined and I reckon that would be great business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can't agree with this at all. He made a significant contribution to us last season and was there, and playing very well, in some of our best performances.

He had injury problems at the start of the season, but he was there when Gerrard was out injured (excellent performances away to Spurs and City amongst others), when Henderson was suspended and when we wanted to go 3 in midfield he was a much better performer than Lucas

When you add to that the fact that he can ably cover for Gerrard in the deep midfield role, for Henderson in the CM role and can play further up effectively when we are playing an intense pressing game, then I think he is extremely valuable to us.

I see you changed your sig. I was worried that would happen but I see it's a Blackadder quote so, Woof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Bony is a beast lads. He won't replace Luis but who would. If be delighted with him. I think people looking for Jackson Martinez over him are almost basing that solely on the fact he plays in a different league. Bony is a far better player IMO.

Bony could be our Drogba.

Bonys level is Swansea. He doesnt have the pace or technical ability the likes of Drogba had. Nowhere near it.

Chelsea sign Costa.Arsenal sign Sanchez. liverpool sign Bony and lose Suarez. Thats nightmare stuff.

• Advertisement

From now on, I only want fast players.

Our downfall in the Houllier and Benitez years was always a lack of pace in the team. Now, we see how devastating it can be. More fast players please. That's one reason why I don't want Bony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Griezmann anyone?

I wouldn't mind having him in the team. Play a front 3 with Sturridge up front and Sterling and Griezmann playing behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Benzema is worth every penny of 40M. Fabulous player, who would be devastating in the PL. This is the standard of player Liverpool should be looking at to replace Suarez. Not Bony M.

to be fair I don't think we'd have a hope of signing Benzema if were to become available and I don't think Ancelotti wants to offload him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bony would not be a direct replacement for Suarez though. Outside of signing Messi or Ronaldo there is probably no one player that would replace Suarez in the Liverpool first team.

Would see Bony as being the main back up to Sturridge when we want to go with one striker, and the Suarez goals/assists will be looked for from a number of players. If Bony comes in, then it would be down to Bony, Lambert, Lallana, and Markovic (if he signs) to try and make up a good % of the goals/assists that Suarez would have provided. Throw in higher hopes for players like Sterling and Coutinho, and there will be a much higher focus on the team sharing the Suarez shaped hole imo.

Having said all that, I would not be keen on us signing Bony as I think we could put the typoe of money being suggested for him to much better use.

Trying to stem the amount of goals we leaked last season is possible a bigger job than trying to replace a decent % of what Suarez brings to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Few rumours on twitter and Spanish fox sports that we could be signing Enner Valencia from Pachuca. Cracking goal scoring record lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Until it's one of the more reputable journalists I wouldn't worry about it.

Allen is perfectly fine as a squad player, been unlucky with 2 long injury spells out but exactly the quality we need as a squad option. I expect him to step up this season, he's still young enough too.

Don't know what Coutinho and Sturridge have to do at this stage, Coutinho is one of the bargains of the PL over the last 2 seasons, if he can add more goals as good as any AM in the PL. Sturridge must have a goal or assist in every game and has done it with Suarez out, for £12 Million absolute bargain when you look at some of the other players bought at that price, hell compares favourably with players double or three times the price, yep, I'm looking at Soldado in particular. He's no Giroud though definitely.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Good shout, Bony does love scoring against Utd.

ibuBdeDWJQ47XA.gif

Kess73 wrote: »
    Bony would not be a direct replacement for Suarez though. Outside of signing Messi or Ronaldo there is probably no one player that would replace Suarez in the Liverpool first team.

Would see Bony as being the main back up to Sturridge, and the Suarez goals/assists will be looked for from a number of players.

Trying to stem the amount of goals we leaked last season is possible a bigger job than trying to replace a decent % of what Suarez brings to the team.

I'm shocked we are not trying to buy a monster DM destroyer. When watching Argentina it's easy to see just how important this is.

Somebody to sit beside Gerrard (as Rodgers will not be dropping him) and break up anything that comes at us. That's it. One job only. Don't go past halfway line. If we get this type of player then I'll be happy but if not then we will leak as many goals next season.

It's been unfair to blame our defence when they have little protection.

Would see Bony as being the main back up to Sturridge when we want to go with one striker, and the Suarez goals/assists will be looked for from a number of players. If Bony comes in, then it would be down to Bony, Lambert, Lallana, and Markovic (if he signs) to try and make up a good % of the goals/assists that Suarez would have provided. Throw in higher hopes for players like Sterling and Coutinho, and there will be a much higher focus on the team sharing the Suarez shaped hole imo.

Having said all that, I would not be keen on us signing Bony as I think we could put the typoe of money being suggested for him to much better use.

I thought that Lambert would be the backup to Sturridge.

Unless we will continue to play two up top, Bony and Sturridge, with Lambert as reserve/replacement for Sturridge when he gets injured.

We havent even been linked with a player in the mascherano mould. It would be one of the first areas I would have looked to.

I can only assume that Rodgers thinks Emre Can is this player? Im not even sure. James Pearce of the echo said we are looking to sell Lucas too.

A cheeky bid for Medel? Was poor at Cardiff but always looks good for Chile.

On the suarez replacement front, A friend of mine said to me why don't we at least try for Reus. I laughed at first but it got me thinking, if we went to Dortmund with 45 million, do you think the club/player would be interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Just echoing more or less what Kess said...

We cannot replace Suarez so we have to think about how not to have to rely on him. This means not being lazy at the back and leaking goals. It also means buying some defenders and a Masch type player (although I dont think Rodgers will ever buy a Masch type player)...

We do need a striker/forward that will get us 20 goals/assists, if we can get Benzema, or a player of is ilk, then I'd be a lot more confident heading into next season.

throw the ****in kitchen sink at reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don't forget we are probably going to get £€75m in the coming weeks.

Every single agent of a half decent forward will be leaking to the press that Liverpool are looking as his player.

We will be linked to alot of players now just because of this €£75m coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Will everybody please shut the fcuk up saying "he's a good player but won't replace Suarez" to every player being linked.

Suarez won't be getting replaced with one player. As we've seen so far, it'll be 2 or three attacking players to try and fill the hole left by him.

At the end of the day, a team with a perfect balance will beat a team with no balance and one world class player, every time.

5live wrote: »
    I thought that Lambert would be the backup to Sturridge.

Unless we will continue to play two up top, Bony and Sturridge, with Lambert as reserve/replacement for Sturridge when he gets injured.

My own feeling is that Lambert will be the back up to Sturridge, but could easily see him being the 3rd choice striker behind Sturridge and another. Hence my comments in my other post

Lambert will, imo, prove to be a canny buy, and I can see him being a very useful squad player, but with the amount of games we will hopefully be involved in this coming season, even a 3rd choice striker should get plenty of game time.

Personally I don't think we are going to buy another striker but rather another player who can play anywhere across the front three.

bicboy6666 wrote: »
    throw the ****in kitchen sink at reus

Whilst I don't think we would have a realistic chance of getting them, I would chuck the Suarez money at Dortmund for Hummels and Reus to see if there is any interest.

Hummels would be an immediate upgrade to our back line, and Reus would add real quality to our attacking options. But those two will probably have to remain FIFA14 options rather than real world ones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Could be worse, you could have replaced Ronaldo with Valencia..... £50m of the Suarez money should be spent on a new forward

tomaussie wrote: »
    I'm shocked we are not trying to buy a monster DM destroyer. When watching Argentina it's easy to see just how important this is.

Somebody to sit beside Gerrard (as Rodgers will not be dropping him) and break up anything that comes at us. That's it. One job only. Don't go past halfway line. If we get this type of player then I'll be happy but if not then we will leak as many goals next season.

It's been unfair to blame our defence when they have little protection.

Would love to see a quality playbreaker that can also play come in, but that is not going to happen until Gerrard retires.

Bringing one in to play alongside Gerrard would mean that we lose a player in the other team's half

I'd rather Mascherano than another striker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My own feeling is that Lambert will be the back up to Sturridge, but could easily see him being the 3rd choice striker behind Sturridge and another. Hence my comments in my other post

Lambert will, imo, prove to be a canny buy, and I can see him being a very useful squad player, but with the amount of games we will hopefully be involved in this coming season, even a 3rd choice striker should get plenty of game time.

Personally I don't think we are going to buy another striker but rather another player who can play anywhere across the front three.

Last season we had something like 14 regular starters that understood the fundementals of how we play and our different systems. That number needs to be around the 20/22 mark .
    The players we are buying fit the mould of the systems, are adaptable and are already in training with some of the 14 from last season that know the system. They also give us more flexibility in what we lacked last year against the extremely defensive teams, someone to put thier back to the goal, take the ball and bring the rest of the team into play. Lambert can do that, and if Bony comes in, he's not afraid of that either.
    When that was asked of Suarez of Sturridge last year, most of the time the would end up flat on thier face on the ground, or lose the ball pretty quickly by trying to turn to face the goal.
    That would be particularly more useful in the cup games against lower league teams where we struggle to play a fluent passing game, and in the Champions league where teams set out to draw.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been harping on about getting him back every window since he left.

Who do you drop from midfield for him assuming Gerrard starts alongside him (a pairing that never looked all that cohesive when they last played together at Liverpool).

Would probably be one from Lallana or Henderson that gets dropped, and it would mean a change on how our midfield gets set up compared to last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im not assuming Gerrard will start next year.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Last season we had something like 14 regular starters that understood the fundementals of how we play and our different systems. That number needs to be around the 20/22 mark .
    The players we are buying fit the mould of the systems, are adaptable and are already in training with some of the 14 from last season that know the system. They also give us more flexibility in what we lacked last year against the extremely defensive teams, someone to put thier back to the goal, take the ball and bring the rest of the team into play. Lambert can do that, and if Bony comes in, he's not afraid of that either.
    When that was asked of Suarez of Sturridge last year, most of the time the would end up flat on thier face on the ground, or lose the ball pretty quickly by trying to turn to face the goal.
    That would be particularly more useful in the cup games against lower league teams where we struggle to play a fluent passing game, and in the Champions league where teams set out to draw.

No arguement from me that those players can do that and do it very well, but I think what attracted Rodgers to Lambert was how well Lambert fitted into a playing style that was similar to that of Liverpool. I think Lambert is a clever player who uses the ball well, and brings an awful lot more than goals with him. His link up play with Lallana in particular was very noticeable last season and I see it as no conincidence that Rodgers went after both.

Good luck to Brendan dropping him.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Thats fair enough but if sturridge gets injured you would be left with lambert and Bony both of very similar styles and Borini who is nowhere near the level needed to be in the starting 11.

Would be very surprised if he does not begin the season as a nailed on starter. The only way I would start to doubt if he was a nailed on starter would be if we went out and bought someone like Strootman (just picked him due to his style of play and where he has often played in terms of position) this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Would love to see a quality playbreaker that can also play come in, but that is not going to happen until Gerrard retires.

Bringing one in to play alongside Gerrard would mean that we lose a player in the other team's half

This.

Like Kess said, we won't get one until Gerrard retires.

Bringing in a Specialized DM to play alongside Gerrard means, we don't have a CM that can Run with the Ball and be our Link to our Forwards.

Not to mention, the Kind of Domino Effect it has on how we play. Since we will be Sitting Deeper to accommodate those 2.

Then imagine the Kind of Work an AM for us would need to do, in that Kind of Setup. Every play will need him dropping back just to get the Ball, instead of using his Energy to Orchestrate our Offense and Penetrate the Opposition's Defense.

In other words, we would Lose the Fluidness of our Attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If football manager taught me nothing else, it's that it's no fun winning the league by buying established stars. It's all about buying the wonder kids and winning it all. Brendan knows it'd be too easy for him if he went out and bought Sanchez and Benzema etc. I'd say he went onto the editor saw that lazar has -2potential (he plays the updated champ man 01/02 like all pros) and reckons he can get him up to 190+

RasTa wrote: »
    Could be worse, you could have replaced Ronaldo with Valencia..... £50m of the Suarez money should be spent on a new forward
    Look, we have told you before.

We are NOT buying Welbeck:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement