Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

NukaCola wrote: »
    They should ban the use of roll eyes on boards. Too many people use it because they cant construct a decent argument to an opposite point of view.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roy%20Hodgson%20at%20the%20Spotlight%20on%20Swimming%20party%20at%20the%20Omega%20Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Suarez was Barca's second choice after Reus.

Dortmund wouldn't deal with Barca.

Not sure if it's just twitter or if there is truth to it.

Edit found this.
    BORUSSIA DORTMUND'S Marco Reus is furious that Barcelona have chosen Liverpool's Luis Suarez ahead of him after he turned down Manchester United to join the Spanish club
    http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488170/Marco-Reus-FURIOUS-with-Barcelona-for-ruining-Man-Utd-chance-by-chasing-Luis-Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gutted today we lose Suarez, Chelsea have gained Costa and Cesc , Arsenal have Sanchez who do we sign Lambert we are a joke of club have we learnt nothing from the past years. It will be an even longer way back to the summit.

Yeah agreed. Landing Sanchez would have softened the blow significantly. Compared to others we don't seem to be having a great transfer window.
    Knex. wrote: »
    If you think that you're gutted, imagine how Gerrard feels right now.

Poor bastard is never winning a league.

I bet the whole squad is gutted. You just know when you have a player like Suarez in the team that trophies won't be too far away. His departure makes that aim seem less realistic right now.
    spockety wrote: »
    When Suarez inevitably wins World Player of The Year at some point in the next few years, we will probably look back and think it's slightly unreal that he ever actually played for us.

He is going to go to stratospheric levels now.

I think he'll do well at Barca provided he gets on well with Messi. I'm not sure how Luis will take being in the shadow of Messi, it will probably drive him on to out score him if he can. however Barca are set up to run everything through Messi so he's not going to be the main man at Barca.

I secretly hope Luis falls out with Messi and that Ian Ayre was smart enough to insert a first refusal buy back clause. Wishful thinking I know because it's hard to see Suarez being anything other than a success at Barca but you never know what the future holds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So Suarez was Barca's second choice after Reus.

Dortmund wouldn't deal with Barca.

Not sure if it's just twitter or if there is truth to it.

Edit found this.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488170/Marco-Reus-FURIOUS-with-Barcelona-for-ruining-Man-Utd-chance-by-chasing-Luis-Suarez

He's should join us and teach them all a lesson.

That'll learn 'em good and proper :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As a Brazilian liverpool fan with garth brooks tickets the sooner this week is over the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Am I the only one who thinks Markovic looks pants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I can't be the only one hoping Suarez at Barca will be as bad or worse than Torres at Chelsea..? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the most important question!

Who get's the number 7 jersey?

If we don't get a marquee name I'd nearly give it to Lambert till we get a player who desreves to wear with.

Giving it to Lambert gives it to a kid of the Kop who could only ever dream of wearing it.

But it shouldn't be wasted on just any player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So the hacks got there wish, one of the finest foreign imports has left for Spain. It will be a poorer league without him for the good and the bad.

He never made it easy on himself but that was Luis always making the best out of a difficult situation on the pitch. Never have I seen a player in that red shirt play with a smile on his face and such desire. His talent coupled with his will to win made for a truly exciting player.

We wont see another like him but hopefully we will see one as good.

Adios Suarez and thanks for the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can't be the only one hoping Suarez at Barca will be as bad or worse than Torres at Chelsea..? :p

It's the goal that he sets up for Kuyt from a yard against United that makes me think he'll do well. Faced with a wall of defenders and running out of space, he got past them all. That's what Barca need.

If we don't get a marquee name I'd nearly give it to Lambert till we get a player who desreves to wear with.

Giving it to Lambert gives it to a kid of the Kop who could only ever dream of wearing it.

Sterling?

No more iconic numbers to duds.

Let them earn the jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

That's good thinking ! I say give it to lambert . Also take the number 9 jersey and give it to Sturrigde .

dfx- wrote: »
    It's the goal that he sets up for Kuyt from a yard against United that makes me think he'll do well. Faced with a wall of defenders and running out of space, he got past them all. That's what Barca need.

On yeah he should do well, I just hope he doesn't because I'm a bitter aul cúnt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The Daily Fail showing it's classlessness again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/index.html

• Advertisement

I hope he does great tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No I don't I wish him every success and hope he can go onto win the Ballon D'or before his career ends. Torres was a sulk, gave up after 2 seasons and were in a much better standing then. While Suarez tried to force his way out last season he still put his head down and gave one of the greatest seasons we are likely to see from a player.
    I couldn't care less if Torres kicked a ball again, I will be watching Barca very closely next season now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Tevez would be a great replacement for suarez. Seems to not like the UK though.

The tabloids are secretly gutted he is gone. He sells papers to chumps who lap it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

All i want to say is " Thanks Luis " and the very best of luck to you and your family in Spain YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

something to think about...

Arsenal have bought Sanchez and are targeting Khedira. top end.

we've sold Suarez.

Lallana, Lambert, Can are decent signings, but it's not even approaching the same ball park.

the finger needs gotten out and fast now.

The big thing that stood out from the statement that BR gave today

If there is one thing the history of this great club teaches us , it is that Liverpool FC is bigger than any individual .

My thoughts on the whole Suarez thing are the bloke is world class but I don't think you can class him as an LFC legend . As much as I like what he did for the club you can't call him that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 trainslaughing

you can win with kids but not with second rate squad players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    something to think about...

Arsenal have bought Sanchez and are targeting Khedira. top end.

we've sold Suarez.

Lallana, Lambert, Can are decent signings, but it's not even approaching the same ball park.

the finger needs gotten out and fast now.

Agreed. We really seem to be going down the route of signing lots of good player rather than established top end talents.

Daily mail nonsense

Who buys this crap? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

What's the feeling on Bony for £19? He cost £12m a year ago and has since scored 25 goals in 48 games at a very average Swansea side.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    What's the feeling on Bony for £19? He cost £12m a year ago and has since scored 25 goals in 48 games at a very average Swansea side.

For an extra 7 million I think it's a good deal, shows that he can play well in the premier league at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Have to keep the faith with Rodgers. I am sure he would have liked to have kept Suarez but circumstances change. Markovic looks like a very exciting young player. The defense definately needs some money spend on as well as spending money on a new number 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Sappy404 wrote: »

I feel it would be a pragmatic and clever signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Was always gonna happen that Suarez was gonna leave once Barcelona were interested I reckon.

Tell ye what's really important for ye now, that's to strengthen in the other half of the field.
    Need serious defensive improvements if a CL place is to be maintained.

• Advertisement

Ball bag is saying that it was 64 million . That means it was 75 million pound .

MPgwrxW9w7l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭fliball123

Is there any merit in throwing a cheeky bid in for Michu? Anyone know if the 2 ukraine lads Kono and Yarmo are anywhere near Brenners thinking? Also we should be looking at Lukaku and Remy..These are targets we can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

suarez will be a massive loss

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lets not do a Spurs re signings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

donfers wrote: »
    suarez will be a massive loss

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

BMMachine wrote: »
    Lets not do a Spurs re signings

How would you spend the money? The closest like-for-like player has gone to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I personally don't care one way or the other whether he goes on to great success or failure at another club. His attitude and application on the pitch in the red shirt of Liverpool was incredible but I don't for a second believe it was out of any special loyalty or feeling for the club. It's just the way he is and the way he plays the game. He played the same way for Ajax, the same way for Uruguay and I'm sure it will be the same at Barcelona. Just a different signature on the paycheck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Reshaping our defence is going to be Brendan Rodgers biggest headache this season.

Imo a RB RCB and LB are needed. Mig and Sakho are starters for me. Even if we manage to get 3 quality additions to our defence it's going to take time for the defence to gel together and given the way we set up with our midfielders pressing high up in attack this leaves our defence exposed, so it's going to be a big challenge for BR to get the balance right in defence.

We need a vocal leader to martial and organise the defence I think Sakho can make this step up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

0028673 wrote: »
    Reshaping our defence is going to be Brendan Rodgers biggest headache this season.

Imo a RB RCB and LB are needed. Mig and Sakho are starters for me. Even if we manage to get 3 quality additions to our defence it's going to take time for the defence to gel together and given the way we set up with our midfielders pressing high up in attack this leaves our defence exposed, so it's going to be a big challenge for BR to get the balance right in defence.

We need a vocal leader to martial and organise the defence I think Sakho can make this step up..

This is why the club are eager to sign Lovren, they feel he can be the defensive leader.

If I was totally honest I think Mignolet could be improved upon, he's not great in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/index.html

Holy $hit! That is possibly the most bitter headline I've ever seen

So much for journalistic integrity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

x43r0 wrote: »
    Holy $hit! That is possibly the most bitter headline I've ever seen

So much for journalistic integrity

Slander perhaps?

I would love Khedeira personally, talk of Arsenal stalling over 20m, go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Slander perhaps?

I would love Khedeira personally, talk of Arsenal stalling over 20m, go for it!

For it to be slander it needs to be untrue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Torres was just turned 23 and had a 1 in 2 record for athletico when we signed him

Suarez had just turned 24 and had over 100 goals in his time at ajax.

That problem is who's available at the right age & class to sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Fair well the best player I have seen in the flesh after going to anfield for over 20 years.

Sad he is going and no amount of money will compensate for losing a player like that, we will waste that money over the next four years for various reasons while he will be in his prime for Barcelona.

Its funny I don't think he suits them or Madrid, he really suited Liverpool from a playing point of view and a character point of view, he will never be replaced but I am just grateful I have seen him in the flesh on so many occasions in a Liverpool shirt.

• Advertisement

Torres was just turned 23 and had a 1 in 2 record for athletico when we signed him

Jackson Martinez? Personally haven't seen much of him but his record looks good and I've heard great things about him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Fescue wrote: »
    This is why the club are eager to sign Lovren, they feel he can be the defensive leader.

If I was totally honest I think Mignolet could be improved upon, he's not great in my opinion.

I think we'll see Sahko being more commanding now, his English was holding him back last year, hopefully his grasp of the language will be better now.
    For France he is constantly talking and directing the defensive unit.

I read recently that we are looking for a Mig replacement. I highly rate him, but it's something like the club thinking that he's not vocal enough which leads to confusion between him and the line in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Slander perhaps?

Yep, dunno where this racist thing comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Fescue wrote: »

To be fair it was Sakho's first year in the EPL, he had a bad run with injuries and his dealing with a new language but he has all the hallmarks of a leader for me. He was captain of PSG so I think the ingredients are there but I agree with you he needs a partner and I would be very happy with Lovren.

I think £25m is outrageous but if he can forge a good partnership with Sakho than it will be worth it.

say we start out next year with a back 5 of

Mignolet

Aurier Lovren Sakho Moreno

My concern would be that regardless of the talent of these players that it will take time for these players to bed in and even longer for them to be a cohesive defensive unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bony has a 1 in 2 record for Swansea and over the course of his career, 25 years old.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement