Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I am pie wrote: »
    By the time Real Madrid finished laughing at us the transfer window would probably shut.

When are people going to realise that a lot of things have to come together for a transfer to work out. Club has to want to sell, Madrid dont. Player has to want to move, Varane wont want to leave Madrid for Liverpool and is getting game time. Will he make more money at Liverpool? Probably not.

The only way he would even make mildly positive noises about Liverpool would be to get a few more zeros added to his contract.

Time to be realistic.

well feck your sound logic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

suarez 110 league games 69 league goals
    torres 102 league games 65 league goals

* both spent 3.5 seasons at the club.
    * both missed significant amount of playing time, suarez to suspension and torres through injury
    * neither player scored a penalty for liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

rossie1977 wrote: »

* both missed significant amount of playing time, suarez to suspension and torres through injury

Daniel Sturridge 43 League games 31 goals.

We have this covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he owes us nothing, we owe him nothing.

he fired us to the Champions League, but with the unequivocal backing we've shown him it's the least he could have done. and he did it.

Suarez is a club great and rightfullly so.

I'll miss him, but we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SlickRic wrote: »

he fired us to the Champions League, but with the unequivocal backing we've shown him it's the least he could have done. and he did it.

No one is bigger than the club. We've always maintained that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I am sorry to see him go, but I will always remember what he did and be interested in the rest of his career. When Owen left I thought screw you but Luis was different, I don't think he is leaving for money or even for medals, I really believe it's more about climate and language and family.
    Does anyone think he might come back when messi gets pissed off because Luis is better than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Something to cheer us all up on this sad day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

suarez was not the world beater he is now when he signed, people saying we need to sign top of the pile players, we dont, we need to sign players who will become great,like luis,because we are not a top of the pile club right now,just below,they dont really wanna come here, and if they do its for money ..

id prefer players who wanted to become better join tbh, id love a reus etc..wont happen,not yet.

get behind the managers decisions,im sure he knows who is willing to join and who is not,whereas we think we can sign anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Something to cheer us all up on this sad day. :)

YOUTUBE

"It's humiliating that we lost... It's okay for Paulinho, he's used to it at his club" :pac:

On a completely off-topic note... Why are Spurs the only club have their own forum on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

"It's humiliating that we lost... It's okay for Paulinho, he's used to it at his club" :pac:

On a completely off-topic note... Why are Spurs the only club have their own forum on here?

Do you want to see them scouting out all the players we are after . I certainly don't .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

was the money spent already dependant on the suarez deal or do we still have that to play the market with ?? bit like wat spurs spent last yr knowing bale was off

locked 1 wrote: »
    was the money spent already dependant on the suarez deal or do we still have that to play the market with ?? bit like wat spurs spent last yr knowing bale was off

All the money spent before today was not out of any potential Suarez money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Goodnight sweet prince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I think Lovren is worth a bit more than that! :pac:

25m is way too much for him though. Whatever way you look at it.

IF he's the best available, then £25m is worth paying. We cannot go into this season with only our current central defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Wow, I'd forgotten how good Torres' record with us was

If anything that just shows that goalscorers can always be replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

All the money spent before today was not out of any potential Suarez money.

Has that been confirmed by anybody at the club? I'd be surprised if the signings made haven't been bought with his transfer fee in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Its just a shame we never got to see king luis on a champions league night at anfield. Il put my life on it now and say we will get barca in our group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Has that been confirmed by anybody at the club? I'd be surprised if the signings made haven't been bought with his transfer fee in mind.

I'll be honest and imagine that with the clause and inevitabiltiy of the whole thing that all it has certainly been in mind, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be honest and imagine that with the clause and inevitabiltiy of the whole thing that all it has certainly been in mind, alright.

I would have thought so too. Sure we've still got the "Ronaldo money" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rossie1977 wrote: »

Big difference in performance in Torres' last season to Suarez last season I would imagine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Why did Liverpool not go for Mandzukic when he was available to go? He's a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think it was Barrett that said all the signings so far we're not dependant on the Suarez money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

The real liverpool related news today is that it looks like dani pacheco has signed for real betis from his last club, decent move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I'll miss Luis Suarez :(

But life goes on at Anfield and im looking to Champions League football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Think it was Barrett that said all the signings so far we're not dependant on the Suarez money

So Can, Lallana, and Lambert? Am I missing anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

I think whoever the replacement is, the forward has to be suitable to Rodger's game. A technical forward would be the best fit. There's rumours of interest in Benzema, who would be a decent replacement.

Liverpool have other areas they need to strengthen, it's important that a good squad is built for next season as it looked a little thin last year, despite the fact that Liverpool weren't hit with too many injuries.

So Can, Lallana, and Lambert? Am I missing anyone?

Think it was mentioned markovic and origis fees were apart from the suarez money

dfx- wrote: »
    Big difference in performance in Torres' last season to Suarez last season I would imagine...

Chalk and cheese comparing the players tbh.

Suarez is a good few levels above Torres at his peak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

klose wrote: »
    Think it was mentioned markovic and origis fees were apart from the suarez money

I dont think it was tbh, it may have been implied...

Imo the likelihood is they are not done as we were waiting on Suarez to go officially...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

barone wrote: »
    we need to sign players who will become great

Thats no easy task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

£75m for a chap who just signed a new contract, who is in his peak and will remain so for years to come.

If it wasn't for the bite his fee would have smashed what Bale and Ronaldo cost. There's no reason why we couldn't have commanded such a fee.

£75m for a chap who just signed a new contract, who is in his peak and will remain so for years to come.

If it wasn't for the bite his fee would have smashed what Bale and Ronaldo cost. There's no reason why we couldn't have commanded such a fee.

£75m was his release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Release clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Bale and Ronaldo were also 'in their peak' and were both 3-4 years younger than Suarez. The likes of Barrett and Pearce have said that talks had begun before the World Cup, I doubt the bite had much of an effect on the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh, and the 4 month ban is fully justified by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

oh, and the 4 month ban is fully justified by the way.

So long as it's part of a new direction in punishing serial offenders.

But it won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    The real liverpool related news today is that it looks like dani pacheco has signed for real betis from his last club, decent move for him.

We should have put in a buy back clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Suarez, did the work of 2 players with goals and assists. Impossible to be replaced by one player.

I'll miss the Suarez song next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

billy2012 wrote: »
    Suarez, did the work of 2 players with goals and assists. Impossible to be replaced by one player.

I'll miss the Suarez song next year!!

The echo had a good article recently where it compared the Situation to losing Rush. We didn't try to replace like for like. Instead we put our faith in a trio of Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge.

It does have scary similarities to what Rodgers is seemingly doing.

I mean scary in a good, exciting, way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The echo had a good article recently where it compared the Situation to losing Rush. We didn't try to replace like for like. Instead we put our faith in a trio of Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge.

It does have scary similarities to what Rodgers is seemingly doing.

I mean scary in a good, exciting, way.
    Exactly.

But it would be cool to sign Tevez just for the 'Welcome to Merseyside' banner:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's 28 at the end of the year and that along with his, let's be honest, awful disciplinary record means Liverpool probably did well to get what they did for him. As great a player as he is he probably only has a few years left before he starts to decline. His value was only going to decrease not increase. That said I would love if he had stayed.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Suarez just Tweeted this.

@luis16suarez · 40s
    I want to share with all the Reds this letter from me and my family. @LFC @HFSG_Official #JFT96

BsSDpmsIEAElHJs.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Suarez just Tweeted this.

A very honourable exit for a good guy IMO.

He really helped Liverpool by signing a new deal last year too. I'm sure he had discussed it being his last season with the hierarchy and if he was a mercenary he could have made himself a lot cheaper.

I'll really miss him and will probably think that Wenger not going higher last year was a massive mistake - though tbh it looks like he had his eyes on Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm wanting to be polite here, as I do for the most part like your posts, but what you are saying is the equivalent of those fools that are saying Liverpool choked down the stretch. The likes of the Daily Fail and people who don't even watch the Bundesliga would believe.

I can't be arsed to look for it myself, but it's there, I wrote a very lengthy piece (even for my standards) on Dortmund's season and aspirations in the Bundesliga thread that I'd recommend checking out.

I presume you meant this one:
    Speaking for myself here.

The outlook, despite what much of the media in England and fans of EPL clubS think is in fact good so long as we secure CL football, which we will barring another injury crisis.. err... upon the current injury crisis.

When talking about the future, it starts with Zorc (Sporting Director) and Klopp.

etc...

Bayern won the league at a canter last season. If Dortmund get lucky and don't get injuries (because that's what's required when there's such a gulf in strength in depth and financial muscle), they're still massive underdogs. Maybe they'd not be quite as far outsiders as us (because there's really no other competition for the league whereas there's conceivably 5 teams who could win the EPL next season) but they'd still need to have an unimaginably strong season.

If Pep had floundered a bit and really lost a lot of ground on the previous season's tally (and won with say 75-80 pts) I'd feel a lot more confident in Dortmund winning, but they got 90 pts, which is just insane in a 34 game season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I just remembered this, and it made me laugh. Might make a few sad pandas here chuckle!

Years back when I was in secondary school, around the time Saha had dreadlocks and was playing for United, a lad in my school decided he was going to be one of those white guys who attempted to pull of such dreadlocks.

Walks into the first class of the day in front of a farmer/GAA Kerryhead, who turns around and in an awkward bogger tone says, "Christ, lad. Louis Saha, is it? More like Louis Haha"

It was so bloody awkward, and the 'locks were gone within a few days. :pac:

Id be worried if i was a villareal supporter with suarez in la liga now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Knex. wrote: »
    I just remembered this, and it made me laugh. Might make a few sad pandas here chuckle!

Years back when I was in secondary school, around the time Saha had dreadlocks and was playing for United, a lad in my school decided he was going to be one of those white guys who attempted to pull of such dreadlocks.

Walks into the first class of the day in front of a farmer/GAA Kerryhead, who turns around and in an awkward bogger tone says, "Christ, lad. Louis Saha, is it? More like Louis Haha"

It was so bloody awkward, and the 'locks were gone within a few days. :pac:

Haha but I can go one worse !! I have had a mullet I mean that's a travesty of a haircut . Thank you for that one fernando .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have a funny feeling he'll be a flop and wind up heading to an oil club next summer for £60M...

sabat wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling he'll be a flop and wind up heading to an oil club next summer for £60M...

Like Chelsea? :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement