Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Why did Liverpool not go for Mandzukic when he was available to go? He's a beast.

imo he's brutal

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gbear wrote: »
    I presume you meant this one:

Bayern won the league at a canter last season. If Dortmund get lucky and don't get injuries (because that's what's required when there's such a gulf in strength in depth and financial muscle), they're still massive underdogs. Maybe they'd not be quite as far outsiders as us (because there's really no other competition for the league whereas there's conceivably 5 teams who could win the EPL next season) but they'd still need to have an unimaginably strong season.

If Pep had floundered a bit and really lost a lot of ground on the previous season's tally (and won with say 75-80 pts) I'd feel a lot more confident in Dortmund winning, but they got 90 pts, which is just insane in a 34 game season.

Lucky? Seriously, just look at last season's injury list. Even it if it was anywhere near the norm for a team competing on all fronts, they'll be more than fine.

I don't quite think you realise the severity of Dortmund's injury woes last season, it was like Arsenal's annual injury woes times x2 or x3, and despite that, they finished second in the league and were somewhat unlucky in the end not to knockout the eventual champions in Real Madrid in the quarter finals. If you have the time, just read through the thread from my optimism pre-opening game last year to the very end at FINALLY getting some strength in depth (word of caution for Liverpool there perhaps), to a near weekly basis moaning at how we'd pick up medium - long term injuries to key starting XI players - Hummels, Piszczek, Subotic, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Bender, Kuba, Aubameyang, Reus, Subotic and Kehl. Players regarded as the best position or damn close to it at one time or another in Hummels, Piszczek, Reus and Gundogan. One of the best CB partnerships in football in Hummels and Subotic. There were times Dortmund had to field 3 midfielders in their defence, occasionally being forced into playing 3 at the back, a system Klopp has said he's rarely used.

Every few years, Bayern have a new team of perceived invincibles, and yet a Sturrgart, Wolfsburg, Werder Bremen or if you wish, Dortmund come along and win the league.

Klopp is still one of the very best coaches.

They'll win the Bundesliga in the next 2 seasons, bookmark it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

One thing I'll miss more than Suarez is his chant...god that had such a ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sabat wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling he'll be a flop and wind up heading to an oil club next summer for £60M...

I have a non funny feeling he won't. Will probably have 3-4 years there, before a final payday in Serie A.

There is nobody they can upgrade on him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thats no easy task.

it sure aint,but i think its all we can hope for right now.. we simply cant spunk 80m on one player like other clubs,even 50m .. 20m player these days is just a good player,but could become a great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the biggest thing we'll miss from Suarez IMO is his will, nay, his desperation to win.

that is the part that will be hardest to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

One thing I'll miss more than Suarez is his chant...god that had such a ring to it.

Luis Suarez, you know what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Big Talk of Di Maria to United this evening. On top of sanchez to arsenal and suarez leaving that would be a real killer. Surely we should be all over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

SlickRic wrote: »
    the biggest thing we'll miss from Suarez IMO is his will, nay, his desperation to win.

that is the part that will be hardest to replace.

That desperation has worked for and against. We got the most we could out of it and I'm happy he's gone tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think we need some perspective re signing a replacement for Suarez in terms of a striker position. If we look around, Chelsea have spent a while looking for one and been unsuccessful until they paid for Costa (a player i dont really rate that highly but im sure nobody really cares what i think of him :pac:).

I think someone like Bony is about as 'standard' a replacement we could hope to get in this window, given we remove those we definitely cannot get from the equation.

I think the idea now is to gain some of Suarez work rate from wide and deeper positions from Lallana, and to a lesser extent Markovic et al. That would leave someone like Bony to play the more traditional striker role, lets face it theres barely any player i can think of who could really replace the Suarez factor in the team. The grit, the free movement etc he naturally does.

That said, i worry about no apparent look at a DM,.....again. Seems that wont be really addressed until its uber obvious, like not having a single defensive minded player in midfield. Totally unfair to leave that at Can's door imho and also the fact Lucas seems to be on the way, i dont get it personally.

Edit...........we should try for Lucas Moura, just for the craic like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Alexandre Lacazette from lyon might be worth a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Alexandre Lacazette from lyon might be worth a bid.

I'd hope we could do better than that. Would a decent signing if we didn't already have Borini and Lambert, but we need someone who can compete/rotate with Sturridge. I don't think Lacazette is at that level. He can play out wide too but, again, we have enough backup options there.

Not too gone on Bony, but I'd have him over Lacazette every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Bony has an excellent record, but he doesn't seem to be a Rodgers player, in that his touch isn't great, and not pacey at all.

Seems like Lambert is there to fulfil our Plan B, so Bony is a bit of a puzzler.

That said though, competent strikers are thin on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Somebody tell PSG that they don't actually want Lavezzi. In fact, the really want to give him to us.

We got the most we could out of it and I'm happy he's gone tbh.

while I can understand him being let leave, while we got top dollar, while we won't have to worry about him creating another 'incident'...I can never with a straight face claim to be happy he's gone.

he gave everything, he was talented as fúck and was pure box office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Seems Lovren has gone on strike to force through his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hate that carry on, if it was one if our own we'd be raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Will miss Saurez terribly but when everything is taking into consideration you know it makes sense for all parties.
    Really disgusted when Torres left despite the worries of his form at the time. Fowler to Leeds was probably the one that hurt most at the time.

Who's the star player now?

Every club has one.

You'd probably say Sturridge but I don't think there's even a chant about him! Need to get one asap

Hate that carry on, if it was one if our own we'd be raging.

Wouldn't be the worst fans if we didn't encourage it.....g'wan Lovren you hero.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who's the star player now?

Every club has one.

You'd probably say Sturridge but I don't think there's even a chant about him! Need to get one asap

Reus....give him the no. 7 shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Not due back to Southampton until Sunday?
    Do you have a source?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the worst fans if we didn't encourage it.....g'wan Lovren you hero.

I hope it's a dirty protest. Piss and **** everywhere.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Not due back to Southampton until Sunday?
    Do you have a source?

I do indeed. I just heard Koeman on SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I said it before and I'll stay it again Brendan Rodgers doesn't want to buy a marquee/star player he wants first team squad players who will be happy to rotate.

I can see him being like Wenger wanting to be the manager who makes a £10/20m player into a £50m player instead of buying a £50m player.

He kind of said that today in what he said...
    Luis is a very special talent and I thank him for the role he has played in the team in the past two years, during my time at Liverpool.

"I think he would be the first to accept he has improved as a player over that period, along with the team and has benefited from being here, as we have benefited from him.

No Star names are coming!

I'm on board with Bony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I doubt very much that he wrote that, probably told some lad just tell em they are in my heart blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

£75m for a chap who just signed a new contract, who is in his peak and will remain so for years to come.

If it wasn't for the bite his fee would have smashed what Bale and Ronaldo cost. There's no reason why we couldn't have commanded such a fee.

I'm in my garden with some cold bulmers and watching YouTube vids of our new and potential signings, it's a coping mechanism really.
    I had a long arsed post written but my transfer from lOS to android on this very day has bettered me. I don't have the Suarez-like heart to reconstruct my post so I''ll attempt to convey my thoughts by way of a few bullet points.
    • Luis gets bitey again, think he's off.
    • Watching game with friends, "That just cost the club 15 million.
    • It's an unusual type deal that suits both clubs imo. If/when he does it again he''ll prob get an eightish game ban, that's not the end of the world and a gamble Bar a can make.
    • We can't afford to take that same gamble, he gets all bitey in a Liverpool shirt again and I''ve no doubt it'd be a season long ban and he becomes practically worthless to us.
    • Adios Luis, You''ve been incredible for us. I wish him well and would love to see him jump ahead of the other two lads and get the gong for best player on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Reus....give him the no. 7 shirt.

Don't be silly.

A LB with a number 7 shirt just won't work, i tells ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Id give Sterling the #7 shirt. Im expecting him to have a really great season. He is the best teenager in the world imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I didn't know Bony had a trial with us...
    Then one game our forward got injured, I went up front, scored twice and the coach said, "You're not a stopper any more". In 2006, aged 17, he joined his first professional club, Issia Wazi in the Ivory Coast, and a few months later was invited for a trial at Rafa Benitez's Liverpool.

It was my first time abroad. Steven Gerrard - he was the best. They said I was quite good but young. They said, "OK, you can train and we will see you again, see if you are improving and then maybe we'll sign you".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537375/Wilfried-Bony-interview-Why-I-Swanseas-Daddy-Cool.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Do not watch Suarez's ten best goals article on Daily Mail, it's like watching your partner blow off your neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Mostar just threw this up.

Every Suarez goal for Liverpool backed by the brilliant Oblivion OST.

Just watched this

Fcuk me it is worse than looking at old photos after a break up

Do not watch Suarez's ten best goals article on Daily Mail, it's like watching your partner blow off your neighbour!

Why would you watch or read ANYTHING on The Daily Mail site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Why would you watch or read ANYTHING on The Daily Mail site?

More importantly, has he watched his missus blow his neighbour?!!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I doubt very much that he wrote that, probably told some lad just tell em they are in my heart blah blah blah

Yeah he looked like he hated every second of playing last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if the incident with Cellini hadn't happened would he have stayed at Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hitchens wrote: »

Not a chance I'd say. Think negotiations started before the tournament. And the fee is rumoured to be the release clause so that wouldn't be any different either. Sure even a FIFA transfer ban on Barcelona couldn't stop it happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hitchens wrote: »

No after the season he had he was always leaving. The top clubs in europe sit up and take notice when a player is performing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

If it wasn't for the bite his fee would have smashed what Bale and Ronaldo cost. There's no reason why we couldn't have commanded such a fee.
    From who? Suarez wanted to go to Barcelona (both the city to be close to family and the team) and Barcelona wanted him. Who was bidding against them to push the price up? Suarez had a buy out clause, Barcelona met it, end of and before you say the buyout clause should have been higher if we'd insisted on a higher clause when the new contract was signed last year maybe Suarez wouldn't have signed it and we'd have ended up with a pissed off Suarez, no CL and Barcelona offering us a £40,000,002 take it or leave it deal.

We got a good deal and made a £50m profit.

Thank you Louis for helping restore LFC to the CL and for making us dream.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭Hitchens

even from non Liverpool supporters point of view it's a pity he decided to leave, world class players to watch week after week only come along once in a rare while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lewis Swarez is basterd man. Sexy passes and attractive goal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Twitter Twatter that Rodgers has boarded a jet to Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Scouting Reus...and Messi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Why ? Maybe hes just going to the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the Brazil thing, not the risk we need right now, but i'm surprised noone has taken a chance on Ganso. Could get him pretty cheap, and he's just had a pretty decent 2013 (though has apparently had discipline issues since). Relocating outside of Brazil may force him to knuckle down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

ricero wrote: »
    Why ? Maybe hes just going to the final

See 5Live's post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Working for ITV or BBC for the Final more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Marquee signing on the way..........

or maybe just Fred:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

See 5Live's post

He's got it all wrong!
    He's gone to personally oversee their medical (he bought a degree in medicine online so it's all good) and get them to sign a contract. Deals have already been made. Discussions started before the world cup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement