Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I think Stevie is more of an assist machine now . He had 14 of them last season as defensive midfielder .
    I have to say the way LFC are shaping up for the coming season there will be absolute bags of pace in the team . Sturrigde , sterling , markovic and Henderson . That to me looks fairly formidable in terms of raw pace . I wonder was that all part of BR's plans for how his LFC team would play .

I think there is a very clear pattern in the signings made so far, aside perhaps from Lambert. They are all energetic, quick and have good stamina. Lallana and Can are supposed to be real workers. This all points to a high intensity pressing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Arguably Gerrard as well..

Well he did change that one in Chelsea's favour....lol....burn.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Been in contact with some player who has NEVER been linked with us before in Arda Turan according to Eurosport Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arda will join us someday but I think he will be in a walker by then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Been in contact with some player who has NEVER been linked with us before in Arda Turan according to Eurosport Turkey.

How fast is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Navas to replace/compete with Mignolet would be a good idea if we want to play a high line.
    Mignolet is stuck to his line & isnt good at playing a sweeper role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ive seen it posted a lot about how luis tarnished the club,embarrassed the fans etc etc in his time at lfc ,

id like to go on record to say ive never felt anything but delight that luis suarez played for lfc,watching him play you knew literally that anything could happen, nothing was impossible ,and quite regularly we,and everyone else were in awe at what we just seen him do,or what he did to assist a goal.

never felt he embarrassed me,or the club,not once. he let himself down yes,but i doubt it bothers him that much so why should anyone else care .

i will continue to support luis at barca, just not when he plays lfc,because he made me fckin smile and roar with delight watching lfc,something id not done in a long long time.

adios amigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

with the squad as is, a lot of pressure is on Sterling to be our big, game changing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone thing Sterling could sit into the Suarez role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Anyone thing Sterling could sit into the Suarez role?

Well there's a challenge.....

Maybe he could, but that's one big ask for a 19 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

barone wrote: »
    ive seen it posted a lot about how luis tarnished the club,embarrassed the fans etc etc in his time at lfc ,

id like to go on record to say ive never felt anything but delight that luis suarez played for lfc,watching him play you knew literally that anything could happen, nothing was impossible ,and quite regularly we,and everyone else were in awe at what we just seen him do,or what he did to assist a goal.

never felt he embarrassed me,or the club,not once. he let himself down yes,but i doubt it bothers him that much so why should anyone else care .

i will continue to support luis at barca, just not when he plays lfc,because he made me fckin smile and roar with delight watching lfc,something id not done in a long long time.

adios amigo.

no no, this won't do at all. how dare you deal with reality. The accepted line amongst the entitled 90s kids is that we are too upset with him leaving to function properly and we are all really really mad. and we are all super embarrassed about his antics, so much so that we are openly shamed in work, school, college, on da streetz. I mean, this has to be the case, if it isn't than how else will people rack up victories and score points in their head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I am always mad when I get super embarrassed on da streetz.

Wait ... what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I could see Sterling ending up as a striker but it may take a few years.

I'm coming round to the idea of signing Bony but i'm more interested in getting quality defenders.

Rb is more of a priority than Lb for me.

Glenjo was poison last year and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Anyone reckon that maybe moving for Bojan would be a good move?

When he was starting up front for Barca he was on fire, then he got pushed to the wing and fell away our of the squad.

He was the next big thing not so long ago and sort of flopped on his loan spells in Milan and Ajax but might be good for the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Unfortunately you read this type of nonsense too frequently on boards.

Of course you would take 95 million and run, I'd do the same but we're not football clubs.

You know what I meant by saying this. I meant the football club done the right thing. It is a childish way to debate something by twisting words when you know what the other person meant.
    Very few footballers show loyalty to any clubs, and few clubs show loyalty to players.

The ones known as club legends usually do. My comment was directed at comments like "King Luis" and "Suarez the legend"...I'd disagree stongly with these titles in the context of Liverpool.
    Don't think he demeaned the club last year. Biggest disappointment was the lack of ambition he showed if he really was considering going to Arsenal, although I think he knew a big club would make a move.

You can package it up whatever way you like. He demeaned the club by going public. If having a go at Arsenal makes you feel better, that's fine. But think about it...you state you were disappointed that he would choose Arsenal. Surely,in your mind, you must view this as an even more demeaning to your club....
    Fairly sure he signed the contract, not 'signed' it.

Ad hominem creeping in here again...Stick to the debate. I highlighted "signed" to represent my argument. He never had any intention of seeing it out. Hence, my no loyalty conclusion.
    He is replaceable alright, maybe we should have asked Barca to swap the best player in the world for him.

All players are replaceable. My argument was that in the cases of players like this, a club is nearly always better actually replacing them.
    You very rarely heard of this stuff under Fergie? It's an exact replay of the 'Ronnie' situation.

You may have missed my "you very rarely" part. But to say that this is an exact replay of the Ronnie situation is absurd. Ronaldo never showed Man Utd this level of disrespect. You might also look at the Rooney incident to debate this. However, my point that you VERY RARELY heard of this at Man Utd still stands.
    I don't think any club has ever had a team of world class players.

United came very close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As it is though, with him gone and us seemingly unwilling to push the wage structure or gamble I think a long disappointing season is sure to follow. I'd be delighted with 4th place at this point.

Our wage structure is fine. Suarez and Gerrard were both on very high wages by any standard.

I can't think of a single attainable player who would warrant such massive wages as Suarez was on.

Do bear in mind that had we signed Snjeider or Soldado a year ago and paid them big bucks you yourself would have seen that as a statement of intent and a sign of our ambition. It's not always as simple as picking the most well known talent or the players who have performed in the past and paying them loads of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cjs21 wrote: »

When he was starting up front for Barca he was on fire, then he got pushed to the wing and fell away our of the squad.

He was the next big thing not so long ago and sort of flopped on his loan spells in Milan and Ajax but might be good for the squad?

He is a terrible player. Since leaving Barcelona he has 15 goals in 96 appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

How much would Vertonghen cost would ya reckon? £25M? £30M??

Reckon if he and Lovren cost £50M for both and Liverpool sold Agger and Skrtel for £15M it would be great business then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

He is a terrible player. Since leaving Barcelona he has 15 goals in 96 appearances.

Game to goal ratios means nothing if your not playing in your position?

In my comment I said he hasn't started up front since his first couple of seasons at Barca??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Most recently been linked to Stoke City. That's still too good for him.

If we're going for players who once looked like that might be pretty good before falling off the face of the earth I'd rather have Dani Pacheco back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

funtime93 wrote: »
    Tall,rangy runs well with the ball at his feet but he will have no time on the ball in the premier league and his lack of physicality is evident.I can see him being easily bullied by experienced wing-backs.

So cliché cliché cliché?

Hopefully we'll get to see what he can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You know what I meant by saying this. I meant the football club done the right thing. It is a childish way to debate something by twisting words when you know what the other person meant.

The ones known as club legends usually do. My comment was directed at comments like "King Luis" and "Suarez the legend"...I'd disagree stongly with these titles in the context of Liverpool.

You can package it up whatever way you like. He demeaned the club by going public. If having a go at Arsenal makes you feel better, that's fine. But think about it...you state you were disappointed that he would choose Arsenal. Surely,in your mind, you must view this as an even more demeaning to your club....

Ad hominem creeping in here again...Stick to the debate. I highlighted "signed" to represent my argument. He never had any intention of seeing it out. Hence, my no loyalty conclusion.

All players are replaceable. My argument was that in the cases of players like this, a club is nearly always better actually replacing them.

You may have missed my "you very rarely" part. But to say that this is an exact replay of the Ronnie situation is absurd. Ronaldo never showed Man Utd this level of disrespect. You might also look at the Rooney incident to debate this. However, my point that you VERY RARELY heard of this at Man Utd still stands.

United came very close to it.

You were doing fine until the last sentence.

I admit i gave an unmanly giggle at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

If our midfield can get 15 more goals next season and we replace Suarez with someone able to score 15 in a season then we can pick up where we left off. Bony would do the trick.

Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson should be getting more goals next season, they can only improve. Plus there's more competition for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Looking at a Squawka comparison (Dzeko, Immobile, Benzema, Higuain), seems that Bony is quite good at the defensive clearances.

This could be because of him simply playing for Swansea (all hands on deck when it comes to defence) but I'd say its something that the transfer committee have noticed about him and no doubt will come in handy next season.

Here is the comparison...

Office-no.gif

When the Bojan hype from years ago ceases to exist, I'll shed a tear of joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's going to Stoke. I'd hate to ruin that transfer.

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    If our midfield can get 15 more goals next season and we replace Suarez with someone able to score 15 in a season then we can pick up where we left off. Bony would do the trick.

Coutinho, Sterling and Henderson should be getting more goals next season, they can only improve. Plus there's more competition for them now.

The way I look at it is that if we build from the back, we can offset Suarez production numbers somewhat, that plus the midfield having to step up too, namely the likes of Sterling, Henderson and Coutinho as you said. I think Lallana will be a double - double guy for us depending on the number of games and position, likewise Markovic. Perhaps Can can pop up with a few goals and assists himself, role and number of games depending. He's certainly capable of playing that killer pass and his athleticism will see him arrive in the box late. Gerrard just needs to maintain a steady assist line as far as I am concerned, I think he had 14 assists someone mentioned earlier last season, I'd like 10 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No thank you. Was useless last year. He'd be dreadfully disappointing. Better players already at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Thanks for that will be here soon so when I get it sorted. Excited! I'm going to be a panda sap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

If we can't get Bojan I'd like us to look at Freddie Adu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The way I look at it is that if we build from the back, we can offset Suarez production numbers somewhat, that plus the midfield having to step up too, namely the likes of Sterling, Henderson and Coutinho as you said. I think Lallana will be a double - double guy for us depending on the number of games and position, likewise Markovic. Perhaps Can can pop up with a few goals and assists himself, role and number of games depending. He's certainly capable of playing that killer pass and his athleticism will see him arrive in the box late. Gerrard just needs to maintain a steady assist line as far as I am concerned, I think he had 14 assists someone mentioned earlier last season, I'd like 10 next season.

The back 4 got harshly criticised last season IMO. Our style of play puts more pressure on the defence making us concede more. Can will hopefully be able to contribute the same way Henderson does for tracking back, which should take some pressure off the back.
    Would be good to see Johnson replaced/upgraded, but Sakho / Skrtel are good enough. As it stands, I reckon this could work:

Johnson/Flanagan -- Sakho & Skrtel -- Enrique

Gerrard/Can -- Henderson/Can

Lalanna

Sterling -- Sturridge -- Coutinho

With Sterling / Lalanna / Coutinho interchangeable.

Another striker, then replacement for Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

taidghbaby wrote: »
    If we can't get Bojan I'd like us to look at Freddie Adu!

Nah your only man would have to be Cherno Samba surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Bring back Anthony Le Tallec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Sinama Pongolle

Zak Whitbread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Sean Dundee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    The back 4 got harshly criticised last season IMO. Our style of play puts more pressure on the defence making us concede more. Can will hopefully be able to contribute the same way Henderson does for tracking back, which should take some pressure off the back.
    Would be good to see Johnson replaced/upgraded, but Sakho / Skrtel are good enough. As it stands, I reckon this could work:

Johnson/Flanagan -- Sakho & Skrtel -- Enrique

Gerrard/Can -- Henderson/Can

Lalanna

Sterling -- Sturridge -- Coutinho

With Sterling / Lalanna / Coutinho interchangeable.

Another striker, then replacement for Johnson.

There is a lot of truth in that. Skrtel in particular got harshly criticised. I think he was our standout defender under difficult circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Niall Mellor!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Nuri Sahin!

T-K-O wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin!

What actually happened with him at Liverpool? He didn't seem too bad at all imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bring back Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah that's why we re-signed him

I2O3j2h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

:D Best not to mention his name around these parts. However IMO, he wasn't up for the challenge at LFC and/or possibly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I think Liverpool should sign me.
    Granted, I haven't played since U12's but I'm sure I could do a job on the wing. I'd do it for only £10k a week also.
    Anyone have B-Rod's number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

sh__93 wrote: »
    I think Liverpool should sign me.
    Granted, I haven't played since U12's but I'm sure I could do a job on the wing. I'd do it for only £10k a week also.
    Anyone have B-Rod's number?

If you don't get through to B-rod, and don't mind travelling, then Ronald Koemann is looking for players (anyone) at Southampton ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Bernard Diomede world cup winner 1998...Legend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Fescue wrote: »
    There is a lot of truth in that. Skrtel in particular got harshly criticised. I think he was our standout defender under difficult circumstances.

Far, far too many mistakes to be confident in him. He's a squad player if we keep him but he won't be happy with that. We need to upgrade him, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lets face it we have never been the same since we failed to replace istvan kozma!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Our confirmed signings so far -

Lallana - Will walk into the team and should settle straight away.
    Lambert - Good backup striker who cost pennies, he can play ball and score goals. Again should settle straight away.
    Can - Very highly rated young German midfielder. (I actually like him at LB)

Think they are 3 very good signings TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

billy2012 wrote: »
    Our confirmed signings so far -

Lallana - Will walk into the team and should settle straight away.
    Lambert - Good backup striker who cost pennies, he can play ball and score goals. Again should settle straight away.
    Can - Very highly rated young German midfielder. (I actually like him at LB)

Think they are 3 very good signings TBH.

Step away from the light good Sir, doom and gloom is only permitted round here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement