Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm warming to bony more and more definitely think he would score lots of goals it's just he's very slow and to me doesn't fit into how rodgers plays. Saying that the team was built around suarez so inevitably rodgers will look to change the system again as you can't replace suarez with an inferior player in the same set up and hope for it to work.

What does speed actually do when it comes to strikers? All they need to do is score goals. You will never see Bony play as a winger so how do you know he is slow anyway? Regardless - strenght > quickness as far as I'm concerned. Especially with defences sitting as deep as they are in the PL.

I know it's likewise, but he will get goals in many games in where Suarez could not - i.e. like Chelsea for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The farewell to Hansen is on the BBC right now for anyone who missed it the other night.

Thanks watching this now. What a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

klose wrote: »
    Might want to re read the article there mate :P

My bad. Had a few too many lastnight :)

It's a good move for him, hopefully he can nail down a place and get some EPl experience under his belt and come back a better player.

I hope this a sign that we're in the market for a RB that I don't know does RB stuff unlike our GlenJo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I mentioned before that having been browsing an Everton thread they were very split on whether they wanted to keep Lukaku or not, he can be very frustrating and donkish with the ball just bouncing off him, so with that in mind IF it came down to a choice I'd take Bony, I'd prefer to get neither but I could get on board with Bony quicker than Lukaku!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

I think Rodgers will go back towards his system of his swansea days with two very quick wide forwards and one central guy who is an out and out finisher. Danny Graham even did well as the centre man in this system and Bony would be very suited to it and pool have quick wide forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

What does speed actually do when it comes to strikers? All they need to do is score goals.

Speed helps strikers get away from defenders. It's a lot easier to score goals when no defenders are near you, and it's a pretty great attribute to have as a striker because it makes you a nightmare to mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Expect Vorm to come in as soon as Reina leaves via Sunday People

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Tottenham are preparing to fight Liverpool for Wilfried Bony by tabling an £18m bid for the Swansea striker.

And if you look to your left you'll see the obligatory Tottenham bid for a Liverpool target.

Source--it's Metro, no idea if they're reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think Rodgers will go back towards his system of his swansea days with two very quick wide forwards and one central guy who is an out and out finisher. Danny Graham even did well as the centre man in this system and Bony would be very suited to it and pool have quick wide forwards.

Think we'll see a lot more of the diamond.

Apart from Sterling, we don't really have any out and out wingers. Nor have we been linked with any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With suarez gone would people be happy if our strikers next season were (presuming borini is sold)

Remy, Bony, Sturridge and Lambert?

I would be very happy with that. While we loose our one world class talent we would have for the first time in a very long time 4 very good strikers to pick from. As good as most in the league still.

You need 4 strikers to win the league, United always have and city now have.

• Advertisement

What does speed actually do when it comes to strikers? All they need to do is score goals. You will never see Bony play as a winger so how do you know he is slow anyway? Regardless - strenght > quickness as far as I'm concerned. Especially with defences sitting as deep as they are in the PL.

I know it's likewise, but he will get goals in many games in where Suarez could not - i.e. like Chelsea for example.

I was pointing it out because rodgers likes pace in the current system that's how we destroyed teams last season we pressed them high up the pitch and broke forward at devestating pace.

Suarez wasn't the quickest player around but bony is alot slower there will need to be a change in playing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

djPSB wrote: »

Apart from Sterling, we don't really have any out and out wingers. Nor have we been linked with any.

Wingers? Do we want out and out wingers?

Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge, Markovic, Borini, Suso, Ibe can all play in the two WF positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

With suarez gone would people be happy if our strikers next season were (presuming borini is sold)

I would be very happy with that. While we loose our one world class talent we would have for the first time in a very long time 4 very good strikers to pick from. As good as most in the league still.

Would be very happy with those 4 strikers

Sturridge - 21 goals/29
    Bony - 16/34
    Remy - 14/26
    Lambert - 13/37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I think bony is 25 and lukaku 21 , bony will cost 19 mil and lukaku 26 ,bony is after a very good year and lukaku had a poorer year than the year before.Presuming wages are similar i think lukaku could be the better option if we take the price difference as being nullified by age difference.With some stability he has massive potential for many years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

billy2012 wrote: »
    Wingers? Do we want out and out wingers?

Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge, Markovic, Borini, Suso, Ibe can all play in the two WF positions.

All the players are better through the middle which is why I think we'll se alot more of the diamond formation. So no we don't need wingers.

Gerrard or Can as the holding midfielder.

Mixture of Henderson, Lallana, Can, Allen in the centre.

Sterling, Coutinho or Markovic at the tip of the diamond.

Mixture of Sturridge, Sterling, Markovic, Borini, Lambert and other signings up top.

All the players are better through the middle which is why I think we'll se alot more of the diamond formation. So no we don't need wingers.

Gerrard or Can as the holding midfielder.

Mixture of Henderson, Lallana, Can, Allen in the centre.

Sterling, Coutinho or Markovic at the tip of the diamond.

Mixture of Sturridge, Sterling, Markovic, Borini, Lambert and other signings up top.

Maybe.

For me the diamond was really used so we could play with both Sturridge and Suarez upfront.

With Suarez gone, I think we will play with only one main striker, Sturridge or Bony and with 2 players playing wider of them.

Lallana is class in AM and WF positions like alot of the above players so I think we will see lots of floating as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

If we are sticking with the diamond we will need the full backs to start upping their deliverys etc... Johnson is poison and flanno wouldnt be great going forward either. Will be kind of pissed if wisdom goes on loan straight away on that note. Think we will revert back to 433 in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

I'm struggling to see how we will line up for the first game of the season with the players we're bringing in. Not short of options though which is no bad thing. We know what we are getting in Lallana & Lambert so there shouldnt be many surprises there but Emre Can & Markovic still look a bit raw for me. Hopefully they make the transition to English football fairly quickly & im looking forward to seeing what Rodgers can do with them. Going to be an interesting season

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3hx3n

As things stand I'd imagine it would be something like this.
    I'm struggling to see how we will line up for the first game of the season with the players we're bringing in. Not short of options though which is no bad thing. We know what we are getting in Lallana & Lambert so there shouldnt be many surprises there but Emre Can & Markovic still look a bit raw for me. Hopefully they make the transition to English football fairly quickly & im looking forward to seeing what Rodgers can do with them. Going to be an interesting season

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd be happy, but not overly happy. Why? I rather spend the money on a player with the world at his feed in a Griezmann. And then you see the likes of Vidal being linked with United, us fluffing are lines over a few million in regards to Moreno, it's head off wall stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

gosplan wrote: »
    The only reason IMO is that the players Arsenal have tried to sign over the last 12 months are Suarez, Higuain, Ozil, Bender, Draxler, Sanchez.

If you're asking a player to make a step down from Madrid or Barca, that would be crucial IMO.

This isn't a pop at Liverpool, I'm sure Rodgers will have them competing but Arsenal have the financial advantage.

Location or finance is crucial?

Of course arsenal have the advantage at present, bigger stadium & more success in recent times but if we can maintain that champions league spot, everything else is just an excuse. If in two years time we lose out on a player to arsenal, I'll tend to beleive as I do now that just maybe this player wants to play for arsenal and not Lfc. If the guy is departing Barca / Madrid will only live in a capital city, maybe there is good reason he's on the move.

Attitude is key, if you want to play for us great, if not, have a nice life.

We lost out to BVB on mikhaterian * last summer. He scored a goal v Germany just before the world cup and almost apologiesd to his Germany colleagues. No celebration. I thought it strange at the time, Suarezs celebration v England confirmed it. This stuck in my mind, I guess it highlights the difference in mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'd be happy, but not overly happy. Why? I rather spend the money on a player with the world at his feed in a Griezmann. And then you see the likes of Vidal being linked with United, us fluffing are lines over a few million in regards to Moreno, it's head off wall stuff.

It would be if it was the 20th of August.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=3hx3n

As things stand I'd imagine it would be something like this.

Going to be so pissed off if he starts the season as our number one RB.

As for the rest, if we went with that, I'd expect a lot of interchanging of positions between the front four, even more so than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

sword1 wrote: »
    I think bony is 25 and lukaku 21 , bony will cost 19 mil and lukaku 26 ,bony is after a very good year and lukaku had a poorer year than the year before.Presuming wages are similar i think lukaku could be the better option if we take the price difference as being nullified by age difference.With some stability he has massive potential for many years

Wasn't as impressed with Lukaku last season, think he had a couple of spells out though and still young. Bonys stats are impressive in a team that struggled last year. Early days yet and we haven't been linked by reputable sources yet, I do think if we end up with 4 good striker options playing with 2 up at times will be an option Rodgers will use at times.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

I don't mean wingers. Wing forwards is what I meant. Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho, Borini, Lallana, Sturridge could all fill this role with Lambert oe Bony (if signed) more of a central striker.
    I do have a concern or two with this
    1. Sturridge was never happy out wide at Chelsea. However with the amount of games this year he will get time wide and centrally I would say. Also the systemnwill be fluid and he would be rotating within games.
    2. I dont have stats for this, but Bony seemed to score from crosses an awful lot. Pool dont throw in a lot of crosses so would that suit Bony?
    The bottom line is if Rodgers believes Bony is going to fit he has earned enough of my trust to be happy about the signing.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Not entirely blaming FSG but we haven't been holding onto our best players now for the last few years.. Suarez, Torres, Masch, Reina(looking for a move to Barca) Alonso and Arbeloa.

Not forgetting, Carroll, Downing and Adams

Really those players prove it's very hard to fight of Real/Barca though, Torres was mad money at the time and he wanted out. We aren't that much different in that regard to United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Vidal won't sign for Man United. Just paper ****e talk akin to the Kroos link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bony after having one good season is not the answer, I watched a few Swansea games and he never really impressed me, not a striker to maintain a top 4 finish.

In similar vain to Bentekke, Newcastle's Cisse, ba etc , though I reckon Ba is available and could do a good job.

Bony is not the answer. Ba is

Should be an interesting season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

T-K-O wrote: »
    Location or finance is crucial?

Of course arsenal have the advantage at present, bigger stadium & more success in recent times but if we can maintain that champions league spot, everything else is just an excuse. If in two years time we lose out on a player to arsenal, I'll tend to beleive as I do now that just maybe this player wants to play for arsenal and not Lfc. If the guy is departing Barca / Madrid will only live in a capital city, maybe there is good reason he's on the move.

Attitude is key, if you want to play for us great, if not, have a nice life.

We lost out to BVB on mikhaterian * last summer. He scored a goal v Germany just before the world cup and almost apologiesd to his Germany colleagues. No celebration. I thought it strange at the time, Suarezs celebration v England confirmed it. This stuck in my mind, I guess it highlights the difference in mentality.

So just because a player may not want to sign for LFC straight off, he should be casted off?
    There were some reports that Juve were Samchez's pteferred choice. If so should Arsenal simply have said fair enough off with you?

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bony is not the answer. Ba is

Should be an interesting season

I said could do a good job, there is no answer for Suarez but football and lfc goes on, I'd be happy with Ba at arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ba is nearly 5 years older than bony, has ****ed knees & scored less in two seasons than bony did last season. He is 100% not the answer.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I said could do a good job, there is no answer for Suarez but football and lfc goes on, I'd be happy with Ba at arsenal.

I'd be happy if Arsenal sign him too if I'm honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hidalgo wrote: »
    So just because a player may not want to sign for LFC straight off, he should be casted off?
    There were some reports that Juve were Samchez's pteferred choice. If so should Arsenal simply have said fair enough off with you?

Who said that?

If player doesn't want to sign, so be it. We move on. Of course we pay guys to negotiate the deals as do the players. I would imagine Sanchez never once said no to arsenal.

Where as him signing for us never seemed likely if we beleive the papers. Q the meltdown in here, blaming everything from the location of the club to Ian Arye's dress sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd be happy if Arsenal sign him too if I'm honest
    Is that you Turty?:D

Ba would be 3rd or 4th choice. Bony would be at a higher level. Simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ASOT wrote: »
    Ba is nearly 5 years older than bony, has ****ed knees & scored less in two seasons than bony did last season. He is 100% not the answer.

So.........you're saying........ there's no chance?

Bony after having one good season is not the answer, I watched a few Swansea games and he never really impressed me, not a striker to maintain a top 4 finish.

In similar vain to Bentekke, Newcastle's Cisse, ba etc , though I reckon Ba is available and could do a good job.

What about Bony at Vitesse?

Okay go ahead buy bony, It's a sorry state of affairs when bony is the answer, higher level than ba? Probably Yes

High enough level to challenge in the top 4? I'll let your fans answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Okay go ahead buy bony, It's a sorry state of affairs when bony is the answer, higher level than ba? Probably Yes

He's better than Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So let me get this right... You would take Ba over Bony but Bony isn't good enough for top 4 and Ba is? But you say Bony is at a higher level?

No can't get it right at all really. I am totally lost now.

Fescue wrote: »
    He's better than Giroud.

Okay, and is bony the level you want at your club, he has good stats but have you ever watched him play?

Okay, and is bony the level you want at your club, he has good stats but have you ever watched him play?

Can be a bit infuriating from the bits I've seen. Hard to argue with those stats in a team that really struggled last season.

I was out last night and chatting about Liverpool I made a statement that if carragher had stayed last season we would of won the league. I got laughed at by Liverpool and rival fans. Is it an outrageous statement or something? It's stonewall obvious we lacked a defensive leader last season something Jamie a always offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He has a brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Jay Riley @Jay_78_ · 31m
    I know he's meant to have a buyout clause that can't be activated until 2015. But strong whispers that were trying hard for Marco Reus #LFC
    Jay Riley @Jay_78_ · 26m
    Like any 'big' signing, its never easy to seal the deal for them. But FSG are trying hard to get one in after the loss of Suarez.
    ay Riley @Jay_78_ · 19m
    I must stress, Im not saying we'l be signing him, before all the dickheads start jumping on it. But the club are trying, theres a difference
    ay Riley @Jay_78_ · 14m
    So all I suggest is, sit back & see what now develops. If we do manage to pull this one off for Reus, it would be a major coup. Lets see.
    Jay Riley @Jay_78_ · 11m
    Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I'll only tweet something if/when I hear it. So save all the ****e about me making stuff up. Cheers

Big o' fun for a lazy Sunday afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I was out last night and chatting about Liverpool I made a statement that if carragher had stayed last season we would of won the league. I got laughed at by Liverpool and rival fans. Is it an outrageous statement or something? It's stonewall obvious we lacked a defensive leader last season something Jamie a always offered.

His legs were gone.

Maybe, I think he'd really have struggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So players still linked.

Lovren & Rodriguez
    Davis & Vorm
    Bony & Origi

No really awe inspiring really if I'm being honest but goes along with what I have being saying about Brendan Rodgers not looking for marquee name but looking for good first team squad players.

If buy whatever miracle we sign a player of the status of Reus even Arda then the above would very good but without the marquee name it will look like a weak transfer window if not a poor one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

brevity wrote: »
    Big o' fun for a lazy Sunday afternoon...

im sure Dortmund would take 30 or 35 million for Reus this summer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement