Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I suppose FIFA's reasoning will be they are punishing the player, regardless of who they play for. I can actually see the point of view.

However as someone says the premeditated tackles/ elbows etc. don't seem to make the same headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

That makes no sense, how can they dish out a ban that effects the club, yet the club have no say at all? :confused: What a farce.

Yeah I'm not sure FIFA have fully checked the legality of their decision.

eg : Admisitration duties ( transfer block) is against EU laws

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ban seems fair to me if not a shade on the lenient side!

However this total football ban is a bit strange! Will complete football bans now become a regular occurrence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Confirmed: He can't even train with the club.

Whatever about playing in games , that's just off the wall sh1te . FIFA making the rules up as they go along , cannot see the Liverpool ban for 4 months standing tbh .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool football club will obviously issue a press release at some point in the next 24 hours, it may be little more than a holding statement noting the FIFA action.

I'd reckon the board will go one of two ways at either end of the spectrum

- A) cancel Suarez contract and release him
    - B) appeal with everything they have

The first might seem very unlikely but as written down through the books Suarez is already about 80% "accounted for", so letting him go for nothing would cost far less than the Carroll transfer did. I'd love to see the most recent contract extension, did it include anything about actions which damage the club I wonder? Can the club sue Suarez? Doubt it myself as he was playing for Uruguay.

An appeal is obviously risky as if you fail, you get punished again as a rule. FIFA presumably feel confident as they didn't have to issue a blanket ban but felt they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

on the plus side, it's less likely we'll get a bid for him that will make us sell.

on the negative side, it's an awful long time to wait for him to come back. i hope we're not out of contention in the Champions League by the time he returns.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

**BREAKING NEWS**
    Dublin have just signed the first Uruguayan to play GAA on a four month contract.

weird that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    BrD_nLtCIAA-9Iy.png:medium

If its 4 months from date of the offence he should be back for Hull and the cup game (though of all the ones he's missing that's proably the 2 that matter least...........)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

mike65 wrote: »

= give some other team an £80m gift...not likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool football club will obviously issue a press release at some point in the next 24 hours, it may be little more than a holding statement noting the FIFA action.

/QUOTE]

That would just about be the daftest thing possible. There would be a queue a mile long of clubs willing to sign him in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The first might seem very unlikely but as written down through the books Suarez is already about 80% "accounted for", so letting him go for nothing would cost far less than the Carroll transfer did. I'd love to see the most recent contract extension, did it include anything about actions which damage the club I wonder? Can the club sue Suarez? Doubt it myself as he was playing for Uruguay.

An appeal is obviously risky as if you fail, you get punished again as a rule. FIFA presumably feel confident as they didn't have to issue a blanket ban but felt they should.

Why would we let him go for nothing?

He is still one of the most valuable players on the planet. Could still see Barca or Real wanting to buy him if we were willing to sell.

Could not blame the owners for thinking about cashing in, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

why would they cancel his contract when if they wanted rid they could just sell him in January?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

not the date of the offence, the date of the punishment being communicated, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Agueroooo wrote: »
    **BREAKING NEWS**
    Dublin have just signed the first Uruguayan to play GAA on a four month contract.

weird that.

Parnells ??

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Liverpool Football Club has released the following statement in response to the FIFA Disciplinary Committee's decision regarding Luis Suarez.

Ian Ayre, chief executive officer, said: "Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/165444-liverpool-fc-statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

**BREAKING NEWS**

weird that.

That's cause gaa player must wear gum shields

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liverpool FC statement

Liverpool Football Club has released the following statement in response to the FIFA Disciplinary Committee's decision regarding Luis Suarez.

Ian Ayre, chief executive officer, said: "Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Has this decision caused some kind of mental break mike? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No training...he will look like that fat imposter Arsenal nearly signed last season by November.

Will this stand up in court? What jurisdiction do FIFA have over Suarez being in Melwood?

I imagine Liverpool will be getting the lawyers ready on this one.

I'm honestly not sure how to feel. He deserved a ban/fine etc, but banning him from Liverpool way more than for Uruguay, and banning him from training, is surely a piss take?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

This seems to affect Liverpool more than Uruguay and we can't even appeal the 4 months :/. I hope Suarez learns his lesson this time and punches or use the elbow instead of the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Have Liverpool Football Club made a statement yet? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I feel just the smallest bit sorry for him.

Fifa show absolutely no consistency with these matters. I've seen a couple of full on assaults so far that haven't had a mention as soon as the game finished but because there is a media outcry Fifa scrambles to throw the book at him, they invent a few more books and throw them too.

It's a dangerous precedent tbh, Fifa can just do as they please and make it up as they go along.

No pressure Ricky.

Sanction doesn't cover transfers

Sanction doesn't cover transfers

they actually has to run off and consult...making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure how to feel. He deserved a ban/fine etc, but banning him from Liverpool way more than for Uruguay, and banning him from training, is surely a piss take?

I know exactly how I feel, not been this angry since my namesake got a long racing ban in UK (for nothing!) in 2006!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Do you know if that appeal rule is a FIFA one or are you just going on the English FA one

• Advertisement

35cent wrote: »
    This seems to affect Liverpool more than Uruguay and we can't even appeal the 4 months :/. I hope Suarez learns his lesson this time and punches or use the elbow instead of the teeth.

The problem now is that Suarez is clearly being treated by the authorities as a delinquent case who refuses to learn. So if he throws an elbow or does something equally mad, the bans are just going to get worse. This isn't about biting anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

huh?

He will miss first 2 months of the premier league season.

Lovely?

Well the rest last year helped quiet a bit. We have the players as long as the defense improves to play for us. He was an idiot could have been a whole lot worse and I agree with it even the world wide ban. They do it with doping why not something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would we let him go for nothing?

He is still one of the most valuable players on the planet. Could still see Barca or Real wanting to buy him if we were willing to sell.

Could not blame the owners for thinking about cashing in, to be honest.
    why would they cancel his contract when if they wanted rid they could just sell him in January?
    Has this decision caused some kind of mental break mike? :confused:

They could just ban him from playing for the club again and sell him in January but if he stays and plays they might fear he'll have the chance to do it again! A forth time and even Millwall would baulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

**BREAKING NEWS**

weird that.

Would it not be hurling Due to the mask :pac::pac::pac:

I don't feel sorry for Suarez.

I do think FIFA is continuing to show itself to be a joke.

Squawka Football @Squawka
    Liverpool points per game since 2012/13 WITH Luis Suarez: 1.85 pts.

Liverpool points per game since 2012/13 WITHOUT Luis Suarez: 2.3 pts.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Suarez fought so hard to get CL football with Liverpool, and now he's potentially missing half the games.

lolz/tears

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Hopefully Aspas gets a decent run in the team now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't know what to make of this news. On one hand it means the power in the Suarez-LFC relationship has shifted towards the club and makes a transfer less likely. On the other he is going to miss the first few months of the PL and also three Champions League fixtures. We play Tottenham and Man City away during that time, these are games we need someone like Suarez in who can be the difference between the two teams.

I'm a bit annoyed by the total ban. This didn't happen on Liverpool's watch so there is a valid legal argument that the responsibility for discipline in the Uruguayan team lay with the Uruguayan team management. Luis Suarez was under their supervision, not ours yet we are being punished for their failings. I know well that is shifting the blame from Suarez to the Uruguayan team set up but that is exactly what the LFC lawyers will try to do.

I'm also not happy about him not being able to train with the team, like wtf? Is stopping him playing competitively not enough ? Why do they have to go so far as stopping him training, that's just bang out of order IMO. Stop him competing, fair enough, but stopping him even training is just childish and pedantic and completely unfair on a player trying to rehabilitate themselves. They might as well of given him a dunce hat and told him to sit in the corner facing the wall for four months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That's an insane ban...

Not long enough in my opinion

The first might seem very unlikely but as written down through the books Suarez is already about 80% "accounted for", so letting him go for nothing would cost far less than the Carroll transfer did.

Do you provide accounting services by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How long did Cantona get for the kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

The Mig wrote: »
    Hopefully Aspas gets a decent run in the team now!

I hear he has been practicing his corners over the summer

They could just ban him from playing for the club again and sell him in January but if he stays and plays they might fear he'll have the chance to do it again! A forth time and even Millwall would baulk.

Ah, I was arguing this yesterday, whether he could be trusted to not do it again and that maybe we should get rid.

But I was saying that with the assumption that there would be no club ban. No-one will touch him now and you'd have to be concerned about just how many times he can come back in the right frame of mind.

Disaster.

SaveUs.Y2JAspas

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

The problem now is that Suarez is clearly being treated by the authorities as a delinquent case who refuses to learn. So if he throws an elbow or does something equally mad, the bans are just going to get worse. This isn't about biting anymore.

Yeah that makes sense. It would preferable if he didn't do anything at all, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Well he proved that 10 games didn't teach him a lesson so it was always going to be more severe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Absolute bullsh*t that he is banned playing for his club.

Errr well..

Uruguay Representative claims the federation is considering not playing vs Colombia because of the Suárez ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I hope Liverpool appeal this decision by FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I bet Liverpool are kicking themselves that they didn't think of announcing the Alberto loan until after this report. Wasted opportunity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement