Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

were being left in the dirt by the clubs around us signing actual decent players. arsenal are reported to have agreed a deal to sign khedira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

NukaCola wrote: »
    The only way for a sustained CL presence is to get in quality players.
    Sometimes you need to overpay to get quality. We are overpaying on average to decent players. Here's a list of linked and signed players.

Markovic
    Bony
    Origi
    Lallana
    Moreno
    Can
    Lovren

Whats the one thing in common other than they wont walk into our first 11. They've all had 1 maybe 2 good seasons under their belt. Yet they will cost approx £100m-120m combined. I know we need to bulk our squad but theres a balance to be met in terms of quality.

And that in a nutshell is the big problem. Thats a truly underwhelming list of the players for a staggering amount of money. We have lost our best player and our tailsman while chelsea got it Cesc and costa, Arsenal likely have Khedira and Sanchez and United look likely to get Vidal among others. They are fantastic , established quality players and we have signed no one of that level and lost the best player of them all. Was gutting to see Arsenal get Sanchez and Liverpool confirm Suarez exit in the space of 24 hours.

Bony was 10m or so last season, Markovic was about 7m and Louvren 10m yet 1 year on we are speeding potentially 65m on these guys.Its so wastful it hard not to feel very worried about how good our scouting network is and for me still leave continued questions marks on the one area i feel BR has still not proven himself--transfers.(Coutinho and Sturridge aside). We have strengthened the team depth but have no where near replaced the void left by suarez . Bony is handy player but a strikerforce of borini, lambert and Bony is not anywhere near top 4 to support sturridge. Lallana aside im not convinced by any of the transfers so far. We are way off the level and quality of player the teams around us are siging its worrying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

5live wrote: »
    Alan Hansens last broadcast as well tonight.

Superb player and analyst.

A class apart.

Haha. Funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thiink Markovic, Bony, Lallana and Lovren would go straight into the team.

So Sterling and Coutinho are out for Markovic and Lallana. Bony replacing Suarez? All for approx 60 mil that doesn't improve us. Gives us options all right but as i said for money paid we need a balance.

Bony and Sturridge playing together doesn't seem like a good partnership either based on their styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I would be hugely underwhelmed if we signed Cavani. Hugely. Thankfully, there's nothing to suggest that we're in for him.

Completely agree with you on that. Without constant trophies been won, he's be crying to go to spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

BsgU3U6CMAAMJ-Q.jpg

Mascherano should be Argentina's captian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

When we signed Suarez he wasn't an established star but that worked out well. Even the likes of Alonso were similar. This is the market of players we go for now. We're not going to be raiding the likes of Real and Barca. We just can't pay those wages with a tiny stadium. People need to understand that. It's up to the scouts to find players with high potential and the coaching staff to help them reach that.

The reason the players we've signed were expensive is that their clubs didn't want to sell them. That's cause they're good players who will hopefully improve our team.

I'd still love us to make a move for a guy like greizeman as I think he's gettable but we may already had tried and been rebuffed who knows. Do people want the club to come out and state stuff like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I would be hugely underwhelmed if we signed Cavani. Hugely. Thankfully, there's nothing to suggest that we're in for him.

Good job we are linked with Bony and Jay Rodriguez so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We need to be building a first 17/18, not allowed on the pitch but you know what I mean. Last year we had maybe 12/13 players we could depend on and Glen Johnson. Lallana and Lambert fit that category for me, Can and Markovic I don't know enough about, I'd be worried about age and experience but hopefully at least 1 is that type of player next season. Origi is different and not really in the equation. I suppose we want at least 1 player who'd be one of the first on the team sheet. Barret IIRC did say Rodgers was after one so it's early days to be worried yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

The attitude towards our actual signings so far in here is strange. We've bought players who are obviously talented, thus giving us some good depth which we've been lacking for quite some time. Technically proficient players on the bench in a number of positions no matter what the starting 11 may be. We also seem to be targetting defenders in areas we all want strengthened (hopefully some RB is linked soon too) in Moreno and Lovren.

Suarez has been gone less than a week and we're already moaning that he hasn't been replaced. I'm in no way happy about this link to Bony, but according to Swansea no offer has been made. Surely people need to see that the window has actually been rather successful. We won't be bringing the likes of Sanchez or Fabregas to Liverpool, but we can be bringing in the next Suarez. We also don't need to bring in a load of first team players. Are people forgetting that we narrowly missed out on the title with a worse squad than what we have after the first few weeks of this window?

There's a long way to go yet and we've got a lot of money left to spend. Let's just hope we use it well.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

joe123 wrote: »
    Good job we are linked with Bony and Jay Rodriguez so....

I think all three would be on the same level of 'meh' for me. Cavani was obviously immense for Napoli in his last season, but - and it might be due to injury / Zlatan - he never looked as impressive at PSG.

There's a long way to go in this window still. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

punk_one82 wrote: »
    The attitude towards our actual signings so far in here is strange. We've bought players who are obviously talented, thus giving us some good depth which we've been lacking for quite some time. Technically proficient players on the bench in a number of positions no matter what the starting 11 may be. We also seem to be targetting defenders in areas we all want strengthened (hopefully some RB is linked soon too) in Moreno and Lovren.

Suarez has been gone less than a week and we're already moaning that he hasn't been replaced. I'm in no way happy about this link to Bony, but according to Swansea no offer has been made. Surely people need to see that the window has actually been rather successful. We won't be bringing the likes of Sanchez or Fabregas to Liverpool, but we can be bringing in the next Suarez. We also don't need to bring in a load of first team players. Are people forgetting that we narrowly missed out on the title with a worse squad than what we have after the first few weeks of this window?

There's a long way to go yet and we've got a lot of money left to spend. Let's just hope we use it well.

/rant

The fact is we are weakened without Suarez. He is a huge huge loss. Add in the Champions league schedule on top of that which is going to take a lot out of the likes of Gerrard and an injury prone Sturridge. Thats why people are craving some first 11 type players.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just seen this on the F365 blog...it would explain why things have gone quiet
    Bayern Munich are insisting that Switzerland playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri will not be sold following an impressive World Cup campaign.

Matthias Sammer, Bayern’s sporting director, is adamant that the midfielder will play a big role in the club’s plans.

“Xherdan is an important player for the future,” the former Germany international told Kicker. “We are not going to sell."

With Kroos packing his bags, there may be a midfield re-shuffle at Bayern and Shaqiri would be fitting in a bit better and get more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/9381799/transfer-news-stoke-boss-mark-hughes-still-wants-liverpool-winger-oussama-assaidi

However, so far they been unable to agree a fee with Liverpool for the 24-year-old and Hughes insists the situation remains deadlocked.

"We are where we are on that one," Hughes told the Stoke Sentinel. "Ideally, if we can do something, then yes we will.

"He's someone we know and someone we know can have an impact, so yes we would like to see if something can be done with Ossie.

"But obviously he isn't our player and that means the ball is in Liverpool's court."

@Nuka Cola, that would be my worry about Bony, good player, can be a bit infuriating at times, so can Sturridge but I can't see them as an effective partnership. I do think Rodgers will want the option of going 2 up front, obviously we had Suarez last season and as all the best managers do, he had to adapt the system to suit your best players and Suarez is irreplaceable, but having 2 complimentary strikers would be something he'd want. One thing we know about Rodgers is he wants options.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Linked with Kalou now.. It's the mirror so you know yourself.
    Kalou would love a move to Arsenal but that now seems unlikely. However, he is open to a move to another Premier League club with Everton and Liverpool both interested.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/salomon-kalou-eyes-premier-league-3851198

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

The fact is we are weakened without Suarez. He is a huge huge loss.

There's no doubt we're weakened without Suarez, but what I'm saying is he's only gone a few days and people are writing this transfer window off. We have lots of money to spend and I'm hoping we get at least one definite first teamer.
    Add in the Champions league schedule on top of that which is going to take a lot out of the likes of Gerrard and an injury prone Sturridge. Thats why people are craving some first 11 type players.

This concern is addressed by the point I made about our squad being much better than last year already. By all accounts Emre Cans best position is DM and he definitely seems box to box. He probably won't be pinging balls 60 yards like Gerrard but it seems like he can play that position quite well. An injury prone Sturridge is a worry, but the window is by no means closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The only way for a sustained CL presence is to get in quality players.
    Sometimes you need to overpay to get quality. We are overpaying on average to decent players. Here's a list of linked and signed players.

Markovic
    Bony
    Origi
    Lallana
    Moreno
    Can
    Lovren

Whats the one thing in common other than they wont walk into our first 11. They've all had 1 maybe 2 good seasons under their belt. Yet they will cost approx £100m-120m combined. I know we need to bulk our squad but theres a balance to be met in terms of quality.

Yup I agree with this.

These type of players are fine to sign if it's three from the above list and them maybe 2 or 3 more established/more obvious upgrade options.

At the moment it seems ALL our signings are going to be of this ilk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think all three would be on the same level of 'meh' for me. Cavani was obviously immense for Napoli in his last season, but - and it might be due to injury / Zlatan - he never looked as impressive at PSG.

There's a long way to go in this window still. Unfortunately.

Cavani the same level of meh as Jay Rod and Bony?

He was played wide right most of last season yet still scored a goal every two games in his first season in a new league. He is probably in the top 5 strikers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The papers really go into diarrhoea mode this time of the year with speculation.

• Advertisement

Looking at Arsenal or United signings and saying why can't we do that is pointless though. United want to splash the cash after the Moyes debacle and Arsenal, after years of fans calling for marquee signings bit like us, don't have the financial constraints we have any more. Plus I'd say more importantly, they got a big shock last year competing with Everton for 4th so need to spend big. We just aren't that level, Sanchez probably our best hope as we'd a bit of leverage over the club, but sadly not the player. Still, early days yet and I do expect us to get 1 first teamer we'll all be happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

He was played wide right most of last season yet still scored a goal every two games in his first season in a new league. He is probably in the top 5 strikers in the world.

Yes.

I'm not questioning his past records or achievements, but rather what appears to be the beginning of his decline. I like that we're looking for players on their way up, rather than - potentially - on their way down.

I would have no issues being proven wrong if we do end up signing him though, unlikely as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

in the fifth or sixth best league in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

The papers really go into diarrhoea mode this time of the year with speculation.

Same could be said of this thread :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

K-9 wrote: »
    Looking at Arsenal or United signings and saying why can't we do that is pointless though. United want to splash the cash after the Moyes debacle and Arsenal, after years of fans calling for marquee signings bit like us, don't have the financial constraints we have any more. Plus I'd say more importantly, they got a big shock last year competing with Everton for 4th so need to spend big. We just aren't that level, Sanchez probably our best hope as we'd a bit of leverage over the club, but sadly not the player. Still, early days yet and I do expect us to get 1 first teamer we'll all be happy with.

That's all I ask for at this point - just 1 really top proven player.

If Arsenal add Khedira to their ranks I could see them as genuine title contenders if they get a bit if luck with injuries. They are starting to put together a squad choc a bloc with quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Please say it ain't so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Echo reports;

10 of #LFC's opening 13 PL fixtures selected for live TV coverage, including opening game v Saints at Anfield on Sunday, Aug 17 (1.30pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

So Sterling and Coutinho are out for Markovic and Lallana. Bony replacing Suarez? All for approx 60 mil that doesn't improve us. Gives us options all right but as i said for money paid we need a balance.

Bony and Sturridge playing together doesn't seem like a good partnership either based on their styles.

I think last season it would have been greatly beneficial to have a quality player to replace/alternate with Couthinho.

While there were games where he was outstanding like Arsenal and Man City, he was inconsistent. Problem was though a sever lack of quality to come in for him.

My guess is some games Lallana will play wide left with Couthinho dropped or playing AM. Other games will see Lallana playing a deeper role, closer to CM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

@Nuka Cola, that would be my worry about Bony, good player, can be a bit infuriating at times, so can Sturridge but I can't see them as an effective partnership. I do think Rodgers will want the option of going 2 up front, obviously we had Suarez last season and as all the best managers do, he had to adapt the system to suit your best players and Suarez is irreplaceable, but having 2 complimentary strikers would be something he'd want. One thing we know about Rodgers is he wants options.

Agreed, but I think Rodgers would like someone that can play as a 2 striker partnership with Sturridge or somewhere along the LF, AM or RW.
    Ideally that player could also act as a lone striker if Sturridge is out.

That level of adaptability would be a brilliant boost, sure if can slot in LB as well all the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

djPSB wrote: »
    Echo reports;

10 of #LFC's opening 13 PL fixtures selected for live TV coverage, including opening game v Saints at Anfield on Sunday, Aug 17 (1.30pm).

http://www1.skysports.com/news/11661/9381737/premier-league-fixtures-live-on-sky-sports-top-four-kick-off-unrivalled-season

There ya go, full list of Sky's televised games up to the end of November :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Opening game can be billed as New Southampton vs Old Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

BsgU3U6CMAAMJ-Q.jpg

Mascherano should be Argentina's captian

At another point before Extra Time, the Argentinian Manager was giving a team talk and Messi literally walked away, had no interest in it. He's a remarkable player, but didn't seem like he was part of the team to me...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

And in an added bonus, all seven Sky Sports channels will be free to every Sky, Virgin Media, TalkTalk and UPC household on Saturday August 16.

Our first game is on the Sun.... balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't Sky give the whole weekend free last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I think last season it would have been greatly beneficial to have a quality player to replace/alternate with Couthinho.

While there were games where he was outstanding like Arsenal and Man City, he was inconsistent. Problem was though a sever lack of quality to come in for him.

My guess is some games Lallana will play wide left with Couthinho dropped or playing AM. Other games will see Lallana playing a deeper role, closer to CM

+ 1

I have great time for Coutinho but he had a lot of poor games last year particularly away from home. His talent and eye for a pass are second to none and I think that's why nobody climbed on his back when his performance levels dipped last season. I think the greater competition for places and squad rotation will really benefit Coutinho.

Hopefully we sent him off to school Camp for people who don't shoot so good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Morzadec wrote: »

If Arsenal add Khedira to their ranks I could see them as genuine title contenders if they get a bit if luck with injuries. They are starting to put together a squad choc a bloc with quality

I do think arsenal are shaping up nicely but they have shown you can have a decent season with 20 million players . Hell look at carzola . He was got for fairly cheap and is a hell of player .
    I do think they are in with a shot of the title but they really need to fix their mental weakness . Once that has been fixed they are in much better shape .

Morzadec wrote: »

In fairness Arsenal were genuine contenders for me last season, injuries played a big part in their collapse as well as the drop in form in he who cannot be named or mention his drop in form! We've 135 million to spend though, I'd be very worried about next season if we can't get at least one first teamer with that, otherwise we are back to a transition phase again and 6th/7th place finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

jasonb wrote: »
    At another point before Extra Time, the Argentinian Manager was giving a team talk and Messi literally walked away, had no interest in it. He's a remarkable player, but didn't seem like he was part of the team to me...

J.

Some people just aren't leaders.

Masch being happy to give him the armband further cements his position as the true leader of that team.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gbear wrote: »
    Some people just aren't leaders.

Masch being happy to give him the armband further cements his position as the true leader of that team.

Messi is apparently a really difficult person to deal with at times.

0028673 wrote: »
    + 1

I have great time for Coutinho but he had a lot of poor games last year particularly away from home. His talent and eye for a pass are second to none and I think that's why nobody climbed on his back when his performance levels dipped last season. I think the greater competition for places and squad rotation will really benefit Coutinho.

Hopefully we sent him off to school Camp for people who don't shoot so good :)

Actually Coutinho had the season I expected which is a good thing! He started of poor as teams marked him well but adapted and got better and better as the season went on. His stats are as good as any and if he can add goals we've a 30/40 million pound player we'd be drooling over. I'd expect similar from Sterling this season, think he'll really miss Suarez, but he showed last season he can develop and move to the next level.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It's the drugs, Barca and FIFA hooked him up to an IV when he was in the womb so he would be better than 'Ronnie'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Booked flights in hope for the match being changed to Sunday (1st game of the season) due to work commitments.

Flying out on Saturday evening and will hopefully pick up 2 tickets online. Can't believe I'm saying this but..... Thanks Sky Sports :D

Ye reckon Markovic will take the number 7 shirt?

I'd prefer if he didn't and said the same last year when Aspas took the number 9.

Adds unnecessary pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Some Arsenal fans had their Jimmies severely rustled by the new BT sport ad.

One even made his own version as payback :rolleyes:

lets-get-ready-to-rustle.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me to see Sterling or Reus get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd expect similar from Sterling this season, think he'll really miss Suarez.

Ya, I think this as well. I'd say Suarez was a huge factor in him knuckling down and focusing on his football.

Would be nice for us to get in some experience in that area so that Sterling could continue to grow.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Sterling or Reus get it.

A left back as number 7.

That would be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

djPSB wrote: »
    Ye reckon Markovic will take the number 7 shirt?

I'd prefer if he didn't and said the same last year when Aspas took the number 9.

Adds unnecessary pressure.

Apparently hes asked for the number 50 shirt that he wore at benfica. Heavy shirt indeed after its predecesor adam morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Actually Coutinho had the season I expected which is a good thing! He started of poor as teams marked him well but adapted and got better and better as the season went on. His stats are as good as any and if he can add goals we've a 30/40 million pound player we'd be drooling over. I'd expect similar from Sterling this season, think he'll really miss Suarez, but he showed last season he can develop and move to the next level.

Unfortunately I agree with you I think Sterling will get a lot of attention from defenders this season and I'm expecting a slight dip in form but I hope I'm wrong.

The Count has it all in his locker and what impressed me the most about last season that even though he had some poor games he never stopped trying, never hid or didn't just take the safe option he still had the courage to keep looking for that killer pass. A great player who can kick on to another level this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It must be really annoying constantly havin to play with inferior players with inferior in game intelligence etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement