Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tusky wrote: »
    We obviously can't replace Suarez with another Suarez. That player doesn't exist. We also can't replace him with a player as good as Suarez, because that player would be too expensive. But the players we seem to be replacing him with are too far below his level in my opinion. When we signed Suarez he was 23/24 and already an excellent player, with the potential to be one of the best. That is the type of player we should be going for, but none of our targets fall into that category. Maybe Markovic is in that bracket, but he doesn't seem nearly as established as Suarez was when we signed him.

When we signed him the casual fan knew who Suarez was, Can and Markovic seem like the type of player that only those who pretend to watch obscure football would have good knowledge of.

I don't think we will go for a Suarez type signing again. Looking at the players 'The Rodgers' has used after they were signed, I think he sees/wants his legacy to be someone who can develop young cheap talent, or get the best out of them where others have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Turtyturd wrote: »
    When we signed him the casual fan knew who Suarez was, Can and Markovic seem like the type of player that only those who pretend to watch obscure football would have good knowledge of.

I don't think we will go for a Suarez type signing again. Looking at the players 'The Rodgers' has used after they were signed, I think he sees/wants his legacy to be someone who can develop young cheap talent, or get the best out of them where others have failed.

That was under much tighter budget constraints though. What has he spent in 4 transfer windows up to this? £80/90 Million something like that. Not massive money for a top 4 club. He'll have that and what we normally spend in 1 window this Summer.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Being reported now that our interest in Moreno is over

Where?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

dobsdave wrote: »
    Where?

****e Sports. Don't see it mentioned anywhere else.

We did go after Mk, Willian and Sanchez. Just need to close one out for a fecking change!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

mormank wrote: »
    Ya know, the funny thing is, we might not even need to replace his 30 PL goals next season. If we improved our defence and team we might not concede as many as we did last year and in fact could win the league (or secure top 4) with just 71 goals scored, which I believe is 30 less than we scored last season. In theory you only need 38 goals to win 38 matches. This logic has made me feel alot better about him leaving anyway. :D
    This.... no need to replace all 30 goals if we leak 20 goals less in the coming season.

Suppose i agree with you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Right, who have we signed in the last 24-48 hours? Just Markovic? Or have we signed anyone at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

kfallon wrote: »
    Right, who have we signed in the last 24-48 hours? Just Markovic? Or have we signed anyone at all?

Reus, by all accounts.

*This may not be true

We obviously can't replace Suarez with another Suarez. That player doesn't exist. We also can't replace him with a player as good as Suarez, because that player would be too expensive. But the players we seem to be replacing him with are too far below his level in my opinion. When we signed Suarez he was 23/24 and already an excellent player, with the potential to be one of the best. That is the type of player we should be going for, but none of our targets fall into that category. Maybe Markovic is in that bracket, but he doesn't seem nearly as established as Suarez was when we signed him.

When we signed Suarez we didn't have another 20-30 goal a season striker on the books either like we do now. We didn't have a 19 year old Sterling looking like he has the world at his feet. No Coutinho, their counterparts at the time I believe were Downing, Carroll and Joe Cole in the team lineup. My point is that while obviously Suarez will be a massive loss we are still in a much better position now imo than the day we signed him. Two years after we signed him we almost won the title so who knows where we might be in another two starting from a better position than Jan 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Knex. wrote: »
    Reus, by all accounts.

This makes sense now. The Moreno interest has ended because we have Reus in the back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

This.... no need to replace all 30 goals if we leak 20 goals less in the coming season.

Hell if you could even leak 10 less goals next season in the league that would be a big improvement .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Reus, by all accounts.

That'll do for me.....

*goes off to order 'Reus 21' home, away and third kits*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

kfallon wrote: »
    That'll do for me.....

*goes off to order 'Reus 21' home, away and third kits*

Don't forget the Reus 2014/15 Premier League Champion shirt ;) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Reus has been left out of Dortmund's press release photo's for the new jersey!

Proof that he is leaving to join us :pac:

Turtyturd wrote: »

Whoa whoa whoa, wait there just a minute!! The only reason the 'casual fan' knew about Suarez before we signed him was because of his handball against ghana in the world cup. They knew we had signed the guy who handled on the line in the world finals to deny Ghana a spot in the next round, not due to his footballing efforts, although quite measurable at that point, I can assure you!

When we signed Suarez we didn't have another 20-30 goal a season striker on the books either like we do now. We didn't have a 19 year old Sterling looking like he has the world at his feet. No Coutinho, their counterparts at the time I believe were Downing, Carroll and Joe Cole in the team lineup. My point is that while obviously Suarez will be a massive loss we are still in a much better position now imo than the day we signed him. Two years after we signed him we almost won the title so who knows where we might be in another two starting from a better position than Jan 2011

The glass is half full, excellent post. As football fans we tend to want things now and forget the bigger picture. Jesus when you put it that way, Carroll, Downing, Adam and Cole for what we have now is a big upgrade. Testament to Rodgers and the committee and owners. It also shows FSG have largely delivered on what they promised, after getting a bit carried away the first Summer!

The other thing is we all knew Suarez was away next Summer at the latest, all the club can do is use the money to get badly needed additions to the squad (let's face it, we over achieved last season and things went our way) and leave us ready to try and cement top 4, but more importantly leave us in good stead for the future. The club has a stadium to redevelop which will affect finances for the foreseeable future, Chelsea and Spurs have to do that too but United, City and Arsenal don't.

We also have an excellent manager who seems to be able to get the best out of players, some who many gave up on like Henderson, Sterling, Cissokho and Flanagan, and has used the limited resources he had brilliantly, showing adaptability and learning from mistakes.

Remember Kyriakos mentioned last night (Cult hero he was), we've come a long way since H&G and the early mistakes of FSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

We had Torres who was then sold (Suarez was bought to play alongside Torres)! We didn't have Carroll at that stage and Downing was signed the following summer!

But yes we had just had "that" summer transfer window and Hodgson had just left, so we are in an immeasurably better place now than we were the day Suarez signed!

Whoa whoa whoa, wait there just a minute!! The only reason the 'casual fan' knew about Suarez before we signed him was because of his handball against ghana in the world cup. They knew we had signed the guy who handled on the line in the world finals to deny Ghana a spot in the next round, not due to his footballing efforts, although quite measurable at that point, I can assure you!

I only started posting here around the time Suarez signed. I think I remember people saying that Rebel had been raving about him for ages, and was delighted when he signed.

This happen, or am I making it all up? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Did you genuinely believe suarez had the potential to be the best striker in the world when he signed? I can honestly say I never would have predicted the freak out in form he showed over the next 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I only started posting here around the time Suarez signed. I think I remember people saying that Rebel had been raving about him for ages, and was delighted when he signed.

No, you definitely post on here alright;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

That's irrelevant. We've lost one of the best in the world - we should replace him with an excellent player who has the potential to go on to be one of the best. Our targets/signings do not fit into that category so far.

And Sturridge has never scored 30 in a season.
    delaney001 wrote: »
    Did you genuinely believe suarez had the potential to be the best striker in the world when he signed? I can honestly say I never would have predicted the freak out in form he showed over the next 2 seasons.

It was always clear he had enormous potential.

5live wrote: »
    No, you definitely post on here alright;)

I'm getting sick and tired of your jib, 5live.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is anyone else overwhelmed by our signings so far?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is anyone else overwhelmed by our signings so far?

Overwhelmed?

I'd be surprised!

Overwhelmed?

I'd be surprised!

Sure Reus like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Let me ask you a question, you, you never really remember the beginning of a dream do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's going on.

Think about it Knex.. how did you get here!? :p

Sure Reus like!

Bit of a *whoosh* moment for myself.

tok9 wrote: »

Don't get me started on that.

I'll be quoting Alan Watts bollocks and we'll be here for days. :pac:

taidghbaby wrote: »
    We had Torres who was then sold (Suarez was bought to play alongside Torres)! We didn't have Carroll at that stage and Downing was signed the following summer!

But yes we had just had "that" summer transfer window and Hodgson had just left, so we are in an immeasurably better place now than we were the day Suarez signed!

Ya ok, you caught me on some semantics. I haven't slept in two days, sue me! But you very much get the thrust of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I don't get the opportunity to post here much. But I have to in order to try and put some doubts to rest about Markovic. I was convinced last year (and posted here) that Suarez would be gone this summer. As most have agreed here, replacing him was impossible.

I spent a good bit of last season watching European football (admittedly not having half the knowledge of Kess, or indeed Nuri, who's opinions on players I both respect greatly) and the one attainable player I was hoping we'd go for was Lazar Markovic. I thought he'd an excellent season for Benfica, and the Portuguese League, despite being weaker, can be brutally physical at times, and a great learning curve for the EPL, compared to La Liga, in my opinion anyway.

It's very hard to compare him to anyone because he is very good at a lot of things, yet not reliant on one factor in particular. He is very quick. He pulls defenders all over the place. His scoring could be better, but his assists levels are good, and even better because a few of the times I've seen him, his through ball may not have been the assist, but the crucial ball in the move. He can definitely pick a pass too, and in this regard he will suit the current LFC style perfectly.

In a way he's not dissimilar to Andrei Kanchelskis, and he is hardy, well able to ride a tackle. While very few here hold the Europa League in any sort of regard, I think it's a fine competition and he was good last season. Benfica definitely missed him in the final.

If I was told Lallana and Markovic were being signed both for €25m I'd have been disappointed with the Lallana fee, purely because there is more room for improvement on Markovic. Plus I thought Markovic was nearer 24, I didn't realise he's only just turned 20. As it turns out, Lallana appears to be €16m, so to effectively get Lallana & MArkovic for €40m,I think that will proven to be shrewd business by the club. 5 high level intensity years with great technique from Lallana.

Karlson is right on this one for me. We could get easily 5/6 great seasons from Lazar Markovic, and then sell him for a Bale/Ronaldo/Suarez-esque fee. He could be Liverpool's Ronaldo.

It is a huge worry that a proper destructor/stopper hasn't been identified though. Definitely the defensive side of the game will need to be tightened losing Suarez. I don't believe that Steven Gerrard was a success in the role last season, and to me it's a huge weak link in a very good line-up. His offensive attributes are excellent, but for me there was just too much fraility in the middle of the pitch, and if it isn't resolved, then I just don't see the season past being replicated, this is compounded by the signings Liverpool's rivals have made, because these teams will exploit this weakness next season.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »

I beginning to doubt it all, to be honest. What with the possibility of us all being rarnes1 and now you doubting your very existence.

K-9 wrote: »
    The glass is half full, excellent post. As football fans we tend to want things now and forget the bigger picture. Jesus when you put it that way, Carroll, Downing, Adam and Cole for what we have now is a big upgrade. Testament to Rodgers and the committee and owners. It also shows FSG have largely delivered on what they promised, after getting a bit carried away the first Summer!

The other thing is we all knew Suarez was away next Summer at the latest, all the club can do is use the money to get badly needed additions to the squad (let's face it, we over achieved last season and things went our way) and leave us ready to try and cement top 4, but more importantly leave us in good stead for the future. The club has a stadium to redevelop which will affect finances for the foreseeable future, Chelsea and Spurs have to do that too but United, City and Arsenal don't.

We also have an excellent manager who seems to be able to get the best out of players, some who many gave up on like Henderson, Sterling, Cissokho and Flanagan, and has used the limited resources he had brilliantly, showing adaptability and learning from mistakes.

Remember Kyriakos mentioned last night (Cult hero he was), we've come a long way since H&G and the early mistakes of FSG.

Yeah, agreed. We are in a much better place now than we were and on a much better road, losing Suarez is a blip on the way so to speak. I'm not being optimistic or anything, I am simply refusing to fear the worst, there are plenty on here doing that already enough for me!
    Oh and the glass is half full if it was in a state of being empty before it became half full/half empty. Likewise voca versa, not all that tricky a puzzle when you think about it! :p

Cheers for that, Kingdom.

You've certainly helped make the signing that bit more exciting for me, anyway.

I beginning to doubt it all, to be honest. What with the possibility of us all being rarnes1 and now you doubting your very existence.

Calm down there Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Cheers for that, Kingdom.

You've certainly helped make the signing that bit more exciting for me, anyway.

Likewise, very reassuring Mr Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

That's irrelevant. We've lost one of the best in the world - we should replace him with an excellent player who has the potential to go on to be one of the best. Our targets/signings do not fit into that category so far.

Absolutely Suarez had the potential to be top 5 in the World, his finishing was somewhat arguable, but unlike Kezman, Afonso Alves and their ilk (great Eridivisie goalscorers) Suarez play, skill and desire was very obvious.

What worries me, or disappoints me slightly, is that the high bracket players that have moved to England this season, or those that could be moving this season, have never even remotely been linked to Liverpool.
    In a simple world City were the only team to finish ahead of Liverpool, and realistically thely're close to the finished product. As a club choice, given the season LFC have had, Champions League to come, and with a squad that can only get better, LFC should be an enticing proposition. But either location or finances aren't right, because there is definitely some obstacle. Maybe things will change if we can repeat or consolidate last seasons trick.

I suppose United getting Herrara and looking serious contenders for Vidal as well as a couple of defenders despite no CL is annoying, and that probably is fuelling my angst more than anything. Plus Arsenal getting Ozil, Kheidara and Sanchez. When you see so many players being touted, and realistically we're as good as anyone outside the money 8 (Madrid, Barca, Bayern, City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco ,United) and there being only so many positions available, it would be nice to think of LFC being genuinely in for a genuinely world class player such as those mentioned. Ah well, I guess.

If you were to come up with a list of say the top 10 players of their position in Europe, and then the next 10, and finally another list of the top 10 potentials in their position, how many would Liverpool have in each catagory? Zero in the first, possibly 3 in the next, and probably two in the next.

Reus isn't going to happen

Ya that all totally happened. I remember Rebel goin on about Suarez for a couple of seasons before we actualy signed him. He was bang on the money!

Kingdom wrote: »
    Absolutely Suarez had the potential to be top 5 in the World, his finishing was somewhat arguable, but unlike Kezman, Afonso Alves and their ilk (great Eridivisie goalscorers) Suarez play, skill and desire was very obvious.

What worries me, or disappoints me slightly, is that the high bracket players that have moved to England this season, or those that could be moving this season, have never even remotely been linked to Liverpool.
    In a simple world City were the only team to finish ahead of Liverpool, and realistically thely're close to the finished product. As a club choice, given the season LFC have had, Champions League to come, and with a squad that can only get better, LFC should be an enticing proposition. But either location or finances aren't right, because

I suppose United getting Herrara and looking serious contenders for Vidal as well as a couple of defenders despite no CL is annoying, and that probably is fuelling my angst more than anything. Plus Arsenal getting Ozil, Kheidara and Sanchez. When you see so many players being touted, and realistically we're as good as anyone outside the money 8 (Madrid, Barca, Bayern, City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco ,United) and there being only so many positions available, it would be nice to think of LFC being genuinely in for a genuinely world class player such as those mentioned. Ah well, I guess.

Here come the bank balance posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ya ok, you caught me on some semantics. I haven't slept in two days, sue me! But you very much get the thrust of my post.

Ah now I wasn't being pedantic! Just helping you out before someone else came in and made a song and a dance about it!

Also I would prefer if you would refrain from "thrusting" me with your "post" in future!

It's not irrelevant, it's a different point. I am comparing our position now to that of when we signed the guy. I'm fairly confident no one outside of Rebel would have predicted Suarez to be such a phenomenon for us. Of course we will be weaker without him and it would be great to replace him with Rues or someone of that ilk but that is simply stating the obvious. Can't we for once just get past the obvious please??
    I realise Sturridge has never scored 30, that's why I said 20-30. He scored that last season and he will again this season injuries permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kingdom wrote: »

In a simple world City were the only team to finish ahead of Liverpool, and realistically thely're close to the finished product. As a club choice, given the season LFC have had, Champions League to come, and with a squad that can only get better, LFC should be an enticing proposition. But either location or finances aren't right, because

The cold hard reality of it, is that Liverpool FC are not a huge draw anymore for the top European talent. Once established as a consistent Champions league force then we will have a say in taking established/top tier in demand younger talent to our club.

The best players usually have more than one club interested. And we will never win a bidding war when it comes to wages.

We have been out of the Champions League for 5 years, this season we have the chance to try and consolidate our return rather than allow it be a once off achievement ala Spurs.

Even with the promise of regular champions league football, Liverpool (like Man Utd) will be victims of their own geography. Man Utd have been knocked back alot of times also when it comes to signing established stars (Ronaldinho and Arjen Robben being 2 notable cases).

Its hard to take yes, but continental players do prefer London for various reasons. Easy access to a wider choice of flight destinations, more shopping for the wife, better activities to be had in London during downtime etc...

Sure you can slate a player for "choosing London because of the wife", but where you have 2 clubs offering pretty much the same as Liverpool and United can offer historically (champions league football, chance of trophies) then these lifestyle benefits of living in the capital are understandable lures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Simple but effective
    fanjoke.png

Refreshing to see Spurs make the first move, for once. Probably heard a Liverpool scout recommend jumping first, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The cold hard reality of it, is that Liverpool FC are not a huge draw anymore for the top European talent. Once established as a consistent Champions league force then we will have a say in taking established/top tier in demand younger talent to our club.

The best players usually have more than one club interested. And we will never win a bidding war when it comes to wages.

We have been out of the Champions League for 5 years, this season we have the chance to try and consolidate our return rather than allow it be a once off achievement ala Spurs.

Even with the promise of regular champions league football, Liverpool (like Man Utd) will be victims of their own geography. Man Utd have been knocked back alot of times also when it comes to signing established stars (Ronaldinho and Arjen Robben being 2 notable cases).

Its hard to take yes, but continental players do prefer London for various reasons. Easy access to a wider choice of flight destinations, more shopping for the wife, better activities to be had in London during downtime etc...

Sure you can slate a player for "choosing London because of the wife", but where you have 2 clubs offering pretty much the same as Liverpool and United can offer historically (champions league football, chance of trophies) then these lifestyle benefits of living in the capital are understandable lures.

Players are still people, susceptible to the same persuasions as the rest of us. I would rather be millionaire in a capital city than in Liverpool. Money, wives and opportunity to spend that money talks. We can diffferentiate by selling potential, stadium plans, back in Europe, progressive manager etc...that pitch plays better to players who are breakthrough prospects rather than established stars.

I do think that the end of the market we might ignore at our peril are those players later on in their career who still have a lot to offer. If we could sign a 33 to 35 yr old midfielder to guide Can, to offer an immediate to Gerrard (who will be drained after the WC, predicting a difficult season for him) I really think that would help stabilise our squad. Big match experience is invaluable. A modern day, slightly younger Gary Mcallister if you will !...only with champs league experience. A new Didier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Gandalph wrote: »
    Simple but effective
    fanjoke.png

"The Liverpool"?

I think I might know who that fan was.

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Ah now I wasn't being pedantic! Just helping you out before someone else came in and made a song and a dance about it!

Also I would prefer if you would refrain from "thrusting" me with your "post" in future!

Ah cheers so, you're a fine lad! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

So...

Marcovic - provides the trickery, speed and assists/chance creation that we would associate with Suarez.
    Lallana - provides the work rate as well as some assists and goals.
    Remy/Bony - goals & general forward play. Bony also providing decent defensive capabilities.

Seems the club have an idea of how to replace him...it only took 3/4 players :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

brevity wrote: »
    So...

Marcovic - provides the trickery, speed and assists/chance creation that we would associate with Suarez.
    Lallana - provides the work rate as well as some assists and goals.
    Remy/Bony - goals & general forward play. Bony also providing decent defensive capabilities.

Seems the club have an idea of how to replace him...it only took 3/4 players :)

Now just to convince the FA/FIFA/UEFA that we must play 13 players in each match.
    FIFA shouldn't be a problem, they seem to bend over backwards when it comes to accomodating Suarez :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Seen some tripe on an American site that Pool are offering $75mil for Reus.

"However the Metro states that Liverpool are ‘baffled’ by the suggestion they are chasing Reus. Take this rumor with a pinch of salt."

Why would they even publish that then haha? Trying to get as many clicks on their page as possible I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Gandalph wrote: »
    Seen some tripe on an American site that Pool are offering $75mil for Reus.

"However the Metro states that Liverpool are ‘baffled’ by the suggestion they are chasing Reus. Take this rumor with a pinch of salt."

Why would they even publish that then haha? Trying to get as many clicks on their page as possible I presume.

I think Tony Barrett has already said it was him who used the word "baffled" and it's now being reused everywhere as a supposed quote from a Liverpool source

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement