Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"I can say that, apart from Ronaldo and Messi, Markovic is one of the best talents I've ever seen at 19 years of age" - Avram Grant

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3921/transfer-zone/2014/07/15/4961075/the-best-talent-at-19-since-messi-ronaldo-meet-lazar

Tee hee hee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Welcome Lazar Markovic.
    Looking forward to seeing this guy play. I think he will play a lot of games this coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The Mig wrote: »
    Lots of people on twitter saying his name is pronounced as 'Lazza'

I'm going with "Ray"

Here all week, try the chicken....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Apparently he's quite pacey and direct, but a bit raw when it comes to shooting. A bit similar to Raheem Sterling, should fit nicely into our quick-breaking counter-attacking style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At least we'll actually have game changing options on the bench this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Amazing how fast these transfers happen. You start with a link and then just four short weeks later we're announcing the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ugh, you just know the rags are gonna be all over it;

"Lazer shoots Liverpool to victory"

But lasers don't shoot, they emit don't they?? Makes no sense. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

rob316 wrote: »
    Nuri I don't think I have seen your opinion on Lazar, I would be interested to hear from you as you know your stuff about the European players out there.

Posted it before a week or two ago. I don't know really have much of a solid opinion on him as I've not seen many full games of Benfica and I rather give a definite opinion on players I've seen properly a handful of times before commenting, tbh. Typically I'd have Benfica games on in the background last season, be it in work or gaming as 1) I'd have money on them, and some books showed I'd say 75% of all their games on their website, so it was just handy and 2) in Portugal, one from the big 3 (Benfica, Porto and Sporting Lisbon) feature in their late KO games during the weekend, so barring a big game in La Liga, they were easier to catch their games.

I did see the entire game against Porto, Inter and Spurs last season and he was impressive, but going by the games I half kept an eye on, I didn't really take much notice of him. In those three games though he was sensational with the ball at his feet and running at their respective defences. He showed up everywhere, from the left, centrally and predominately on the right, though he looks adept in anywhere on the pitch. Won't lie in that I was hoping we'd sign someone like Griezmann instead as I have been very high on him over the past years and he's a bit further on in his development, but I trust those in the Portuguese media I follow on Twitter, including Hagen above. Those who have watched him like Kingdom seem to rate him too. Benfica fans are genuinely gutted to have lost on him too. I think from what I've seen the best comparison for Markovic is someone like Valbuena, one of my favourite players since seeing him play live for Marseille at Anfield and he scored a gem against us, but faster and more direct. I think people don't quite realise how quick he is. He is quick off the ball as he is on it, there is a massive difference. Suarez wasn't naturally quick, but on the ball, he had another gear. Lallana is kind of similar in that way too. Markovic looks to have both. One thing's for sure, on the break with the likes of Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic is a tantalising prospect. What we have in the likes of Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and Sterling is one of the most versatile group of attacking players around.

The one slight against him is that he is just that, slight. He needs to add some muscle, but at the age of 20, I'm sure management will help him along in that. Look at Sterling even two seasons ago compared to last season and see the difference as he was able to fend off the strongest of defenders.

Overall, I think Kingdom's opinion is worth noting far more than mine on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ugh, you just know the rags are gonna be all over it;

"Lazer shoots Liverpool to victory"

Would happily read that every week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Seems Rodgers is still in Brazil

BsmnBumCAAAs253.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So who picks the team for tomorrow night?

Lazar

Lazar

enhanced-buzz-30866-1270680807-39.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Conte has quit as Juve coach.

Rumours are its cause the club are going to selling Vidal against his wishes to united. Would be another fantastic signing for them as he a world class midfielder. Be gutted if he ends up at united of all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Even though "that" transfer window went horribly, we still got Henderson out of it. While £16M looked a lot, he is definitely proving his worth now!!

It's the problem with that type of player, it can take a season or two to start delivering. Can and Markovic could well be similar, which is fine, but moar first team regulars please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

The excellent Tom Kundert on Markovic a couple of months ago -
    Scouted: The Serbian dribble wizard who could be Premier League bound

The 60-second story

Labelled a global star in waiting, Lazar Markovic arrived at Benfica as a 19-year-old last summer from Partizan Belgrade via a convoluted transfer involving Chelsea (more on that below). He has lived up to the billing.

He whetted the appetite in pre-season with some dazzling displays, opened his account in Benfica’s second game of season, and announced himself in style with a stunning goal after a mesmerising run in the Lisbon derby against Sporting one week later. The memorable goal in one of the biggest games in the Portuguese football calendar highlighted a characteristic that is set to stand the young Serbian in good stead – everything points to him being a big-game player.

Picking the ball up deep, either on the flanks or in the middle of the pitch, Markovic is a nightmare to defend against, running at full tilt, jinking one way then the next, always on the lookout for an incisive pass or a quick combination play to burst through on goal himself.

Why you need to know him

He may have hit the ground running, but Markovic’s form then went into something of a lull. Several analysts and many Benfica fans questioned Jorge Jesus’ perseverance with him as a starter after a series of non-descript performances. “Markovic is a football rebel and people have to show patience with players like him,” responded Jesus.
    He was proved right. Since the turn of the year the young Serbian has been far more consistent and is now one of the “darlings” of the Estádio da Luz faithful. Such a thrilling player to watch was always going to be a crowd-pleaser provided there was an end product. Seven goals and numerous assists in 39 games are remarkable statistics for an attacking midfielder who was still a teenager in March, especially when one considers it is his debut season in a foreign country.

Strengths

A wonderfully skilful dribbler, his goal against Sporting early in the season, when he danced past five opponents, drew comparisons with Maradona. With lightning speed and tight control, Markovic is almost unstoppable if given space to run into.

He is a creative and accurate passer of the ball, even when travelling fast. In one-on-one situations he is a nerveless finisher even when space and time is at a premium, as shown by another sublime goal – his audacious chip over lanky Vitória de Guimarães stopper Douglas from all of 10 yards out.

Weaknesses

Yet to fully fill out, he is somewhat frail and often struggles to complete the 90 minutes, especially in physically demanding matches. Like many overtly gifted players, Markovic has a tendency to “go missing” for periods in games and some coaches may consider him a luxury player, especially as he offers little defensively.

They said...

Ljubinko Drulovic, Serbia coach: “Markovic is a huge talent and has the ability to be one of Europe’s top players in the next few years. He has special talents in terms of speed and technique. He can decide a game on his own. He’s set to become a very important player for Serbia.” Avram Grant, ex-Chelsea coach: “I can say that apart from Ronaldo and Messi, Markovic is one of the best talents I’ve ever seen at 19 years of age.”

Did you know

Markovic does not celebrate his goals. “I never celebrate my goals. I don’t know how it began, I just never have, even when I was a kid. Maybe one day I’ll change, but to be honest I don’t waste time thinking about the subject. Every goal I score is enormously significant for me, even if I don’t celebrate it.”

As well, unlike Boards.ie Turtyturd, he is not a closet Gooner.

What happens next?

The mysterious mechanics of Markovic’s transfer to Benfica last year have never been explicitly explained by an official source - it was initially reported that the player had arrived in Lisbon on loan from Chelsea, although hours later a statement was released by Benfica confirming he had signed a five-year deal. Portuguese sports paper Record provided a plausible explanation recently, reporting that Benfica purchased 50% ownership for €6.5 million, with the other 50% in the hands of a fund managed by the Israeli agent Pini Zahavi. Chelsea are said to have been included in the negotiations and have an option to buy Benfica’s share for just €7.5 million, while if Benfica sell to another club they are free to set any price.

The full story will probably only be clarified (or maybe not) when Markovic moves on. Benfica fans will be hoping that is not any time soon.

Talentspotter ratings

Shooting 7 • Heading 6 • Passing 8 • Tackling 5 • Pace 9 • Dribbling 9 • Creativity 8 • Work-rate 5

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/scouted-serbian-dribble-wizard-likely-turn-out-chelsea-one-day#QfDAXhgmP19P8AUs.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The excellent Tom Kundert on Markovic a couple of months ago -

A "Serbian Dribble Wizard" sounds like some sort of niche sex act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Just thinking about Sterling, wouldn't surprise me to see him step it up another gear next season and become one of the best in the league. Have a feeling he will start banging in the goals and wouldn't put it past him to be hitting near enough 15 - 20 goals.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

45237600.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

billy2012 wrote: »
    Just thinking about Sterling, wouldn't surprise me to see him step it up another gear next season and become one of the best in the league. Have a feeling he will start banging in the goals and wouldn't put it past him to be hitting near enough 15 - 20 goals.

His finishing improved as the season went on but I would still consider a fairly weak finisher. If he can improve that he will be unstoppable his strength and tactical awareness has come on so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5starpool wrote: »
    45237600.jpg

Am I a Buzz Killington by not seeing how you can confuse "Lazar" with "Laser"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Accord7ng to eurosport news we are about to trigger arda turans 32m release clause

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Accord7ng to eurosport news we are about to trigger arda turans 32m release clause

£ or € or $

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

£ or € or $

£ :o

I love Arda but my god thats alot if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

murpho999 wrote: »

Gonna be some good songs/chants with his name lol :D

Better?

KICTInL.jpg

The one thing we know about Arda is he would love to play for Liverpool as much as I think it's to much money I really would love to see in in red.

So I can come out and say it for sure now...I was Lazar's teacher in Lisbon for the last couple of days and then he goes all the way to Liverpool and does his interview in Serbian! ha! We practiced all these questions, tactics, footballing language etc but I guess he doesn't feel ready to speak in English yet. Two weeks are really nothing to be honest to get ready.

At least he got one sentence of English in at the end and shows I'm a better teacher than the fake one Emre Can had.

We're not signing Arda Turan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Galatasary have first refusal on Turan according to Wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems Rodgers is still in Brazil

BsmnBumCAAAs253.jpg

Considering we are playing brondby tomorrow i imagine thats a photo from a few days ago.? Lost a fair bit of weight too fair play to him.

klose wrote: »
    Considering we are playing brondby tomorrow i imagine thats a photo from a few days ago.? Lost a fair bit of weight too fair play to him.

I'd say that's from the horizontal jogging with the new quare one!

If tonight's stories are true about United and Vidal, and if there is any truth to the Arda stories, can we please abandon that and sign Vidal? :pac:

If tonight's stories are true about United and Vidal, and if there is any truth to the Arda stories, can we please abandon that and sign Vidal? :pac:

£75m should get us both.

I'd say that's from the horizontal jogging with the new quare one!

LOL, haven't heard that description in years. Have to say I'm genuinely excited by the signing of Markovic, interesting to see how he gets on. We've no shortage of talented young lads from our own youths and reserves along with Coutinho and him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What's the latest on Vidal?

£75m should get us both.

We won't have enough for Moses or Johnson's new contract in which he doubles his current wages!

But seriously though, similar talent wise, but Vidal > Arda when it comes to needs, then strengthen the defence and I'd be ecstatic with this summer. Arda just makes that bit little less sense after signing Markovic.

K-9 wrote: »
    What's the latest on Vidal?

United are denying contact with Juventus and Vidal, he (Vidal) is not even on their radar according to some English journos. Maybe they're interested in Moses, in which case, it's a war for his signature!

A war in which Man U wins hands down comfortably.

We won't have enough for Moses or Johnson's new contract in which he doubles his current wages!

But seriously though, similar talent wise, but Vidal > Arda when it comes to needs, then strengthen the defence and I'd be ecstatic with this summer. Arda just makes that bit little less sense after signing Markovic.

Agreed a player like Vidal is what we need in midfield more than Arda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'm still struggling to see why Vidal would go there. The likes of Chelsea and Man City would be more stable options in the PL alone right now.

There could only be two factors that make it happen: wages and no other big hitter in all of Europe being in for him. I highly doubt the latter to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

A midfield with hendo and vidal in it, and not a single blade was not covered that day.

Not that that will happen in any case...

Vidal quoted as being happy enough with Juventus so he might not go anywhere. Very good player.

Thought he was younger than 27 actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Tello has joined Porto on a two year loan, so we can put that constant link to bed for now.

BsnI3p4IcAEpXQJ.png
    Edit: not my actual tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

We should really start selling our best players to teams in the premiership!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I'm still struggling to see why Vidal would go there.

2sXFRn.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

taidghbaby wrote: »
    We should really start selling our best players to teams in the premiership!

Preferably when they are in the last year of their contract.

BsnI3p4IcAEpXQJ.png

Edit: not my actual tweet

Had to quote and fix to see your image :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

inane gif

Cute. :) Here's a couple of reasons against:

1. No CL football
    2. Other top clubs in a more stable position.
    3. Seemingly one of the most coveted midfielders in the world right now who should have the pick of where he wants to go.

Manchester United are the most successful team in PL history but are very much in a transitional phase. Vidal could well end up going there, but in my humble opinion if he does, the monetary factor will the be significant variable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Cute. :) Here's a couple of reasons against:

1. No CL football
    2. Other top clubs in a more stable position.
    3. Seemingly one of the most coveted midfielders in the world right now who should have the pick of where he wants to go.

Manchester United are the most successful team in PL history but are very much in a transitional phase. Vidal could well end up going there, but in my humble opinion if he does, the monetary factor will the be significant variable.

1. No CL Football for one season isn't the end of the world.
    2. United's future is very much stable after signing MASSIVE commercial deals recently.
    3. He probably does have his pick of top clubs.
    4. money being the significant factor certainly doesn't remove City and Chelsea from the equation. Far from it.
    5. it's not clear yet where he's going (if he is going)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement