Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Shame Moyes wasn't still there! Van Gaal makes up for a big part of that, but even then I think United are finding out CL football is an important factor for the top players.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Preferably when they are in the last year of their contract.

We could be the TK Maxx of the PL! Bargains everywhere!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Don't fall on the hook.

Same (type of) poster laughs at us for thinking we could sign any top class talent without Champions League football, saying it's a must.

We get Champions League football, and same (type of) posters laugh at for thinking we can't sign any top class player WITH Champions League football, saying it's now not as important hence why they can sign top class players like Shaw and Herrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

1. No CL Football for one season isn't the end of the world.
    2. United's future is very much stable after signing MASSIVE commercial deals recently.
    3. He probably does have his pick of top clubs.
    4. money being the significant factor certainly doesn't remove City and Chelsea from the equation. Far from it.
    5. it's not clear yet where he's going (if he is going)

Why though, if you're in a position like Vidal, take the risk of assuming Man United will instantly get back into the CL? Why bother when you could walk into any club of your choosing who are regular CL fixtures?

Commerical and revenue stability does not equate to or guarantee on field success.

If the Shaw transfer rumours are to be believed, Manchester United can still very much blow anyone out of the water in offering the best financial package (Chelsea bowed out once they realised how much Man U were offering in both fee and wage).

By the by, Manolas is available for £8-10M apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Why though, if you're in a position like Vidal, take the risk of assuming Man United will instantly get back into the CL? Why bother when you could walk into any club of your choosing who are regular CL fixtures?

Commerical and revenue stability does not equate to or guarantee on field success.

If the Shaw transfer rumours are to be believed, Manchester United can still very much blow anyone out of the water in offering the best financial package (Chelsea bowed out once they realised how much Man U were offering in both fee and wage).
    Bout time they start spending the Ronaldo money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He is quoted as saying United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, maybe he just wants to play for United. Oil money clubs can still pay silly money, as we've seen with Di Maria, who probably would have come to United had PSG not bid way over the odds for him, and he will likely go there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Maybe he believes that United's team with Van Gaal in charge is good enough to get back into the CL.

United are regular CL fixtures. This is the first season in many years we have been absent.

Commercial success and revenue stability provide a very solid base for any club/business.

Nothing in this world guarantees on field success.

What Shaw rumours? From what I've read he chose united back in January. Before the details of the deal were decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Anyone know when the Champions League draw is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So we loan Aspas to Sevilla but we are not getting Moreno. We sell Suarez to Barca & Sanchez goes to Arsenal.
    I think we should get a new negotiator asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Maybe he believes that United's team with Van Gaal in charge is good enough to get back into the CL.

United are regular CL fixtures. This is the first season in many years we have been absent.

Commercial success and revenue stability provide a very solid base for any club/business.

Nothing in this world guarantees on field success.

What Shaw rumours? From what I've read he chose united back in January. Before the details of the deal were decided.

The thing though is why move this year when United don't have Champions League. As you said they're a regular fixture in it. I can move next year when they probably will be back in it.

If I'm worried United won't sign me next year, the chances are they won't play me next year when they sign someone better. If I want the money, I'll move but I'm not sure how motivated players are by money. Some are but I don't think the majority notice the difference between 100k and 150k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

MD1990 wrote: »
    So we loan Aspas to Sevilla but we are not getting Moreno. We sell Suarez to Barca & Sanchez goes to Arsenal.
    I think we should get a new negotiator asap.

The outcome of the Moreno deal is still unclear.

Re: Sanchez - Barca can't make him go to a club he doesn't want to join. I'd say they tried and he said no. Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

NoelJ wrote: »
    The thing though is why move this year when United don't have Champions League. As you said they're a regular fixture in it. I can move next year when they probably will be back in it.

If I'm worried United won't sign me next year, the chances are they won't play me next year when they sign someone better. If I want the money, I'll move but I'm not sure how motivated players are by money. Some are but I don't think the majority notice the difference between 100k and 150k.

Maybe the majority, or even some of them, are not solely motivated by playing in the CL. It's not the be all and end all of football. Sure, he might not even leave Italy. Enjoy your evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Christ if we cant agree a deal on moreno and go for bertrand it will be bitterly disappointing. Back in the cl and we are aiming for a lad who was on fcukin loan at villa last year.

Edit: apparently the article says we will switch our attention to other targets including bertrand. What the fcuk are we at, loan them a player they want and still cant hammer out a deal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd in their first year out of the CL is at least as attractive as LFC in their first year back in the CL even aside from wage considerations imo.

I hope it's a longer absence for them of course but I don't think it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anyone know when the Champions League draw is?

August 28th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_UEFA_Champions_League#Round_and_draw_dates

Nice table there for the Champs league fixtures and draw dates.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    The outcome of the Moreno deal is still unclear.

Re: Sanchez - Barca can't make him go to a club he doesn't want to join. I'd say they tried and he said no. Case closed.
    Moreno deal is dead according to The Echo.
    Looks like we are going for Ben Davies as we have had a 8m bid rejected.

Stench of Dani Alves MK II over Moreno. Either we're squabbling over payment structure or it's we're underbidding yet again by a few million which would secure of the most promising young full backs in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Has there been a youtube clip of all the Markovic 'best bits' that make him look unbelievable posted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

5starpool wrote: »
    BsnI3p4IcAEpXQJ.png
    Had to quote and fix to see your image :)

Yeah I was doing it on the mobile site and I forgot the /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Moreno deal is dead according to The Echo.
    Looks like we are going for Ben Davies as we have had a 8m bid rejected.

In all fairness I'd believe a paper saying the deal is off as much as I'd believe it saying it was all but done a few weeks ago. None of them know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems like there was a 4M difference in Moreno valuation between Liverpool and Sevilla. We offered 16M and they want 20M. Now given all the funds we have available I can't imagine it would be difficult to throw in the extra 4M but we seem to be sticking very close to our valuations these days. Either that or we are hoping that Sevilla will cave in on the price.

In all fairness I'd believe a paper saying the deal is off as much as I'd believe it saying it was all but done a few weeks ago. None of them know what they're talking about.
    The Echo & Barrett are both who I believe. It looks like we have moved on from Moreno & now after Davies. Disapointing to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Echo can only go on what happens at any particular moment of time! I think they said it was dead, Aspas got loaned shortly after and we all assumed that signaled something. Moreno seems to be the Mk saga again and we did pay big money for Markovic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ayre flew to spain to loan out a player, christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

a question for Kess/Nuri...
    In terms of a central midfielder, holding midfielder, destroyer, what would you make of these players?
    Hector Herrera
    Tino Susic
    Granit Xhaka
    Aranguiz

and this guy who I thought was very good for the Costa Rican's in the Wold Cup: Yeltsin Tejeda

Just thinking about it, Medel would be ideal. Very similar to Mascherano, is almost certainly out of Cardiff, at a reduced price due to their relegation, and has had a year settling in to British life.

I wouldn't be happy with Davies. Good footballer but would get destroyed for pace against top class wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I wouldn't be happy with Davies. Good footballer but would get destroyed for pace against top class wingers.

Are we really setting our ambitions so underwhelming low on a pile on Swansea and Southampton players after coming 2nd last year and getting CL. We negotiate for weeks with a Spanish team for one of their players and they end up with them taking one of ours for free. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seems like there was a 4M difference in Moreno valuation between Liverpool and Sevilla. We offered 16M and they want 20M. Now given all the funds we have available I can't imagine it would be difficult to throw in the extra 4M but we seem to be sticking very close to our valuations these days. Either that or we are hoping that Sevilla will cave in on the price.

Seriousy, do you think responsible businesses just throw £4m or 25% extra away?

If he did that Ayre would be called careless.

Also, we don''t know all the details of other negotiation points, add-ons etc.

Really think Ayre gets a poor wrap from punters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Slattsy wrote: »
    Has there been a youtube clip of all the Markovic 'best bits' that make him look unbelievable posted yet?

This is surely one of the most entertaining. Nice goal plus mental continental commentator and suitably insane funderland laser type sound effects.

This is surely one of the most entertaining. Nice goal plus mental continental commentator and suitably insane funderland Lazar type sound effects.

fyp

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriousy, do you think responsible businesses just throw £4m or 25% extra away?

If he did that Ayre would be called careless.

Also, we don''t know all the details of other negotiation points, add-ons etc.

Really think Ayre gets a poor wrap from punters.
    Ayre leaving Melwood early on transfer dealine day 2012 was a huge mistake. From that day on Ayre was always given a poor wrap from the fans.He also has failed to pull off any top class signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kingdom wrote: »
    In terms of a central midfielder, holding midfielder, destroyer, what would you make of these players?
    Hector Herrera
    Tino Susic
    Granit Xhaka
    Aranguiz

and this guy who I thought was very good for the Costa Rican's in the Wold Cup: Yeltsin Tejeda

Just thinking about it, Medel would be ideal. Very similar to Mascherano, is almost certainly out of Cardiff, at a reduced price due to their relegation, and has had a year settling in to British life.
    If i may, Xhaka isnt a holding or destoyer type player and Aranguiz's rights have been further bought out by Internacional in Brazil and Udinese are involved there somewhere too as is a third party investor.

Hector Herrera
    Tino Susic
    Granit Xhaka
    Aranguiz

Xhaka can do a bit of everything and someone I named in my transfer wishlist of doom. Before the second part of last season, I had him down as a deep lying playmaker with the occasional run forward, but he showed when he got back into the team he is very capable of playing as an attacking midfielder.

Aranguiz was on my underrated players of the World Cup, and for me now, he shone more than Vidal. Biggest compliment I could pay him was that he was reminded me of Iniesta at times with his intelligent attacking play, but that's not to say he ignored the defensive side in which he was a pest to the opposing teams players he was matched up with.

Herrera along with Layun (another player I had mentioned a couple of months ago now), Ochoa and the striker who started ahead of Hernandez were excellent. Very much a box to box midfielder. I didn't realise it was the same Herrera who was impressive at the Olympics till a mate mentioned it.

Had to Google who Susic was, tbh :pac: If he started for Bosnia in the World Cup, I was probably too angry at them costing me money to take notice of any one player's performance for them. :D

Couldn't comment on Tejeda, tbh. Gonzalez caught the eye for me from a Costa Rica POV though.

Mentioned here and in other threads, but Medel as CB > Medel as DM for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Why not go for Cavani? Wages would be an issue, but he wants a PL move and possibly only Arsenal want a striker out of the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ayer is grand and all be we should probably get an actual Fredo style pimp/ entertainment guy mixed with a Jen Chang gun-pointed-at-balls type lad.

Or just... something more realistic like...

I dunni... Ian Ayer?

An English fullback I would like to see us sign would be Clyne. Very underated full back & was superb at Anfield last season.
    Layun who Nuri mentioned above would be an excellent signing. Incredible energy & pace he has got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

An English fullback I would like to see us sign would be Clyne. Very underated full back & was superb at Anfield last season.

Lambert and Lallana have already joined and Lovren seems to be kicking up a fuss over a transfer. Can you imagine their faces if Ayre shows up again? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ayre leaving Melwood early on transfer dealine day 2012 was a huge mistake. From that day on Ayre was always given a poor wrap from the fans.He also has failed to pull off any top class signings.

Why was it a huge mistake. No deals were on and no money forthcoming from FSG.

Also, what has been wrong with Sturridge and Coutinho?

Seriously, what do people expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Didn't the Echo piece mentioning Bertrand say "other targets which may include Bertrand" or something similar? I read it 2nd hand. Sounds like whoever wrote it is just rehashing old links without any new info. I'm guessing it wasn't Pearce?

And in fairness to Ian Ayre on the Moreno thing, we don't know for sure that he went to Spain, and if he did we don't know that the Moreno negotiations didn't take place as well as the Aspas stuff. Also we've just landed one of the highest rated prospects in world football for £20m. Maybe lay off him?

Layun who Nuri mentioned above would be an excellent signing. Incredible energy & pace he has got.

I had him down as RB on the wishlist a couple of months ago, but my mate clarified by saying he plays RB for club and LB for country, apparently he's much better at RB too. An added bonus to signing him.

I like Clyne too, but am sick to my teeth of dealing with Southampton :pac:
    No hindsight or anything of the sort, but he would have started for England for me, Flanno would have been second choice and Johnson would have been home doing his multiplication tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan went to Brazil everyone wondered who he was scouting. Turned out he was scouting the hotties on the beach.

Ayre goes to Spain everyone wondered who he was buying or selling for all we know he was on a beach as well.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why was it a huge mistake. No deals were on and no money forthcoming from FSG.

Also, what has been wrong with Sturridge and Coutinho?

Seriously, what do people expect?
    Because we literally had no attacking options apart from Suarez which resulted in us being about 10th before we got in Sturridge & Coutinho. Plenty of transfers happen in the last few hours of transfer deadline day but Ayre going home looked terrible on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has "LazarIsTheMan" made an appearance yet?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I had him down as RB on the wishlist a couple of months ago, but my mate clarified by saying he plays RB for club and LB for country, apparently he's much better at RB too. An added bonus to signing him.

I like Clyne too, but am sick to my teeth of dealing with Southampton :pac:
    No hindsight or anything of the sort, but he would have started for England for me, Flanno would have been second choice and Johnson would have been home doing his multiplication tables.
    It was a mistake buying Lambert & Lallana. As it makes any deal for Lovern or Clyne(If we are interested) alot more difficult. We seem to want Rodriguez too lol. I think he would be a good signing but I would leave it until next Jan/Summer to try & sign him as he will only have 1 year left on his contract & is recovering from his ACL injury. If we are smart we should advise Rodriguez not to sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Brendan went to Brazil everyone wondered who he was scouting. Turned out he was scouting the hotties on the beach.

Ayre goes to Spain everyone wondered who he was buying or selling for all we know he was on a beach as well.

You just reminded me of the Newcastle chant back when Jones played for Sunderland.

"Kenwyne Jones sells watches on the beach,
    Watches on the beach,
    Watches on the beach.
    "

As bad as it is, it made me laugh.

As things stand now, below is the players from midfield on that I think will be first choice

Sturridge
    Sterling ---- Lazar

Lallana
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    Enrique Sakho Skrtel Johnson
    Mignolet

With the replacements being

Lambert
    Coutinho
    Teixera

Can
    Allen
    Lucas
    Flanagan Agger Toure Kelly
    Reina

For me, it just shows how much money still needs to be spent on the defensive side if Liverpool are going to keep up. I would say that we need to upgrade three of the back 4 still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

brevity wrote: »
    So...

Marcovic - provides the trickery, speed and assists/chance creation that we would associate with Suarez.
    Lallana - provides the work rate as well as some assists and goals.
    Remy/Bony - goals & general forward play. Bony also providing decent defensive capabilities.

Seems the club have an idea of how to replace him...it only took 3/4 players :)

Now if they only let us play 13 players next season we will be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As things stand now, below is the players from midfield on that I think will be first choice

Sturridge
    Sterling ---- Lazar

Lallana
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    Enrique Sakho Skrtel Johnson
    Mignolet

With the replacements being

Lambert
    Coutinho
    Teixera

Can
    Allen
    Lucas
    Flanagan Agger Toure Kelly
    Reina

For me, it just shows how much money still needs to be spent on the defensive side if Liverpool are going to keep up. I would say that we need to upgrade three of the back 4 still.

i think Coutinho will start more than Lazar to begin with - reckon Lazar will com on in most games against tired legs until at least christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement