Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Things are starting to take shape even at this early stage. The ideal is 3 starters at the back, sub keeper, striker who can also play out wide and a DM/boss CM. Gerrard and Lucas don't convince and it's asking a lot of Can to step in straight away. Rodgers could be back to using different formations on the fly to make up for DM weaknesses. That's all doable with the reported budget we have.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I wonder how many more will we see coming in, and of course leaving, mid July and we have four players in already, last time we got a large amount of players was in the dark days of Roy, at least these players are a tad bit exciting! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Word is the Reus deal is on the brink of collapse because Lahm is insisting on joining him but we told him to bog off. Despite the fact they don't even play for the same club. Mindboggling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Word is the Reus deal is on the brink of collapse because Lahm is insisting on joining him but we told him to bog off. Despite the fact they don't even play for the same club. Mindboggling stuff.

That sounds made up by somebody who didn't realise that not all Germans play for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriousy, do you think responsible businesses just throw £4m or 25% extra away?

If he did that Ayre would be called careless.

Also, we don''t know all the details of other negotiation points, add-ons etc.

Really think Ayre gets a poor wrap from punters.

^^^ 100% correct

We think like fans i.e. all we want is the best players and if that means over paying then so be it but that's not the real world. If something is worth €16m why pay more than that? If you're going to pay €20m why not buy a player you value at €20m?

We need to have a lot more faith in the whole management team not just BR.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

BenThere wrote: »
    ^^^ 100% correct

We think like fans i.e. all we want is the best players and if that means over paying then so be it but that's not the real world. If something is worth €16m why pay more than that? If you're going to pay €20m why not buy a player you value at €20m?

We need to have a lot more faith in the whole management team not just BR.

Ben

If you're in the desert and need a drink do you refuse to buy the bottle of water because he is charging €4 for a €3 bottle of water ?

It's all about necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

John W Henry didn't become a very wealthy man by paying over the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well...going by Ben's post, he may end up with a bigger bottle of water for €4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Arsenal with Khedira and Sanchez? Chelsea with Fabregas? Utd with Van Gaal?

You can all sit around and stroke your chins about value and clever long term transfer approaches, but our competition is moving forward. We're not, and we'll be left behind quicker than you think. Last season is meaningless now. 2009 / 10 should have thought us all that.

tomaussie wrote: »
    If you're in the desert and need a drink do you refuse to buy the bottle of water because he is charging €4 for a €3 bottle of water ?

It's all about necessity.

Two things:-

1. LFC are not in the desert, we have CL football and a load of cash.

2. There is a big difference between value and price. Value is driven by objectivity, price is driven by supply and demand. I for one am very happy we have owners and a management team who understand value and keep their cool rather than than allow themselves get shafted by the sort of panicked behaviour you are advocating.

If we pay £4m over the odds for just two players that takes £8m out of the transfer kitty for other acquisitions.

£8m = Couthino

QED

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Anyone get tickets for the sales this morning? Looking to head over to Hull or Stoke games myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So I can come out and say it for sure now...I was Lazar's teacher in Lisbon for the last couple of days and then he goes all the way to Liverpool and does his interview in Serbian! ha! We practiced all these questions, tactics, footballing language etc but I guess he doesn't feel ready to speak in English yet. Two weeks are really nothing to be honest to get ready.

At least he got one sentence of English in at the end and shows I'm a better teacher than the fake one Emre Can had.

You serious?

Someone help me with my Calculations:

Money in:

-CL = 40M
    - Suarez = 75M

Money out:

Markovic = 20m
    Llalana = 25m (lets say)
    Lambert = 6m
    Can = 10m

Leaves us with 55m left to my mind assuming the owners don't fund anything using thier "own" cash.

What have I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wahey....we're on the box tonight! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You can all sit around and stroke your chins about value and clever long term transfer approaches, but our competition is moving forward. We're not, and we'll be left behind quicker than you think. Last season is meaningless now. 2009 / 10 should have thought us all that.

Panic!

noodler wrote: »
    You serious?

Money in:

-CL = 40M
    - Suarez = 75M

Money out:

Markovic = 20m
    Llalana = 25m (lets say)
    Lambert = 6m
    Can = 10m

Leaves us with 55m left to my mind assuming the owners don't fund anything using thier "own" cash.

What have I missed?

The CL income can't be taken as 100% profit. We have additional costs such as a larger squad of players drawing higher wages etc to net off against it before we can spend it on transfers. On the flip side we'd also have some more income from ticket sales for CL games and perhaps bonus payments from sponsors for CL exposure etc.

It's certainly a nice problem to have though!!

Ben

LFC's starting eleven according to the Indo today - I don't think the writer knows too much about LFC - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/what-will-be-liverpools-best-starting-xi-next-season-30434066.html

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

ush wrote: »
    Panic!

Don't think it's panic at all.

Suarez is a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

John W Henry didn't become a very wealthy man by paying over the odds.

Reminds me of this :

bill-gates.jpg

Don't let the haircut fool you, I am exceedingly wealthy.
    Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

BenThere wrote: »
    The CL income can't be taken as 100% profit. We have additional costs such as a larger squad of players drawing higher wages etc to net off against it before we can spend it on transfers. On the flip side we'd also have some more income from ticket sales for CL games and perhaps bonus payments from sponsors for CL exposure etc.

It's certainly a nice problem to have though!!

Ben

The increase in wages is offset against the increased sponsorship deals , as per PL financial fair play rules (increase 4m year on year naturally with any increase above that allowable from increased commercial deals) - plus take the rumoured 200k+ a week from Suarez on his last deal and thats the wages of 3 of our new arrivals sorted already - (admitedly I'm not taking into account any contracted bonuses/pay rises)

Plenty left in the kitty.

In terms of what we have to spend on transfer fees - theres
      The PL money from last year (over what was budgeted for - so 100m minus whatever the club expected for last season)
      The CL qualification money
      Then the 75m from Suarez

If the rumours on transfer budget are true Rodgers had 60-75 (depending on who you listen to) plus sales

So far we've spent 16m+ for Lallana, 4 for Lambert, 20 for Lazar, 10 for Can.... so if the rumours are true - We haven't even touched the Suarez money yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Got a ticket to the Stoke game on the members sale, tomorrow will be a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Panic!

On the streets of London? Panic on the streets of Birmingham?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Got a ticket to the Stoke game on the members sale, tomorrow will be a nightmare

It's always bad - Just gotta get in and out as quick as you can and try to block out the horror afterwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

How long did you have to wait? I am still in the queue. Trying for the same game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Because we literally had no attacking options apart from Suarez which resulted in us being about 10th before we got in Sturridge & Coutinho. Plenty of transfers happen in the last few hours of transfer deadline day but Ayre going home looked terrible on his part.

There was obviously no money forthcoming or targets identified.

Do you think Ayre sits in his office identifying targets on transfer deadline day?

Exiled2NY wrote: »
    How long did you have to wait? I am still in the queue. Trying for the same game!

I was on the site from 8 and did not get in until about 9, got a seat in the KOP but its out in the wing sort of block 203.

Hull game is sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

I was on the site from 8 and did not get in until about 9, got a seat in the KOP but its out in the wing sort of block 203.

Hull game is sold out
    I got on after 8:15 and both hull and Stoke sold out now...Oh well, til the next one. Have to get in sooner the next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My mate hoping to get tickets for the Chelsea & Everton games tomorrow :)

There was obviously no money forthcoming or targets identified.

Do you think Ayre sits in his office identifying targets on transfer deadline day?

That's a strange one to blame Ayre for, Henry apologised for that in his infamous letter. Ayre just can't go and write cheques himself!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

My mate hoping to get tickets for the Chelsea & Everton games tomorrow :)

Well for Everton he needs to have 8 games from last season

• Advertisement

So far we've spent 16m+ for Lallana, 4 for Lambert, 20 for Lazar, 10 for Can.... so if the rumours are true - We haven't even touched the Suarez money yet
    If you are only going to take the initial cash outlay into consideration and ignore the deferred payments and future add ons etc you need to factor in the deferred payments and add ons due this year from previous player acquisitions. Those amounts don't just disappear you know!!

Ben

x43r0 wrote: »
    It's always bad - Just gotta get in and out as quick as you can and try to block out the horror afterwards ;)

must log onto the site tomorrow from 7:30 with a few browser windows open lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Just can't wait for the season to get goin now! That world cup was disappointing after the group stages. Although I was probably spoilt watching Liverpool all last season....last season really was some of the most exhilerating football I have ever witnessed from a Liverpool team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Jesus the Liverpool website is truly awful to navigate. Been in a queue since this morning trying to get tickets but they are already sold out.

Can anyone tell me what are the requirements to be eligible for Category B games? Can't find any information on the website at all.

joe123 wrote: »
    Jesus the Liverpool website is truly awful to navigate. Been in a queue since this morning trying to get tickets but they are already sold out.

Can anyone tell me what are the requirements to be eligible for Category B games? Can't find any information on the website at all.

Tomorrow's CAT A and B is a free for all apart from Everton game you need 8 from last year.

Don't forget these were already on sale for those with 14 of more from last season so will be even harder to get tickets for some games like Arsenal and Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166399-lambert-why-i-came-back-early

"This [early start] is what I have to do now; it's no longer a choice for me, really. I know my body and know what I've got to do, to get into the same shape as everybody else and it tends to be that I need to do a little bit more.

"It was always my intention to come back earlier, whether I was at Southampton or Liverpool - but obviously I am desperate to hit the ground running and do well for Liverpool.

"I thought it was massively important I come back early, and make sure I'm in the best shape possible for when the season kicks off, because that's what all this is for."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Panic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Well for Everton he needs to have 8 games from last season

Yeah he has 10 from last season. Also hoping to get the Utd game when they on sale next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Panic!

There should be a sense of urgency about the club this summer for sure. The time is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Tomorrow's CAT A and B is a free for all apart from Everton game you need 8 from last year.

Don't forget these were already on sale for those with 14 of more from last season so will be even harder to get tickets for some games like Arsenal and Chelsea

To be honest I wanted to get tickets for the Stoke game as it fell in with time off at work. Signed in at 9 this morning, was in a queue and they sold out while in the queue :(

Guess I'll try again tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I see Wisdom linked with a loan move to WBA in a few gossip columns - would be a good move for him I reckon....don't think he's quite ready to challenge for the first XI at Anfield just yet.

Anyone know if Kelly is fit these days? Maybe a season loan might do him good as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

On the Reus links:

3904670-5574892453-523e0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Truth is, we were listening to the same stuff last summer - we made no progress, we were going to be left behind, a valiant top 4 challenge was our best hope.

Most of us have no idea how we are going to fare next season.

With Suarez leaving, our first 11 was always going to weaken on paper. No way around that. We tried to buy Alexis Sanchez, so there is no shortage of ambition.

For all we know, Markovic could realise the potential that plenty say he has and could quickly become one of the best attacking players in the PL. Given that we already have 2/3 of the better attacking players in the league in Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana, we still definitely could still have one of the most fearsome attacks in the league next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

noodler wrote: »
    You serious?

Money in:

-CL = 40M
    - Suarez = 75M

Money out:

Markovic = 20m
    Llalana = 25m (lets say)
    Lambert = 6m
    Can = 10m

What have I missed?
    Not much, only the probable loss that the club made. Iirc we made a £50m loss in a 10 month financial year from the last reports. Now there may be some income due later on in the 12 month financial year(start of the new financial year) but the facts are that the club was running at a loss for the last accounting period.

I believe FSG have stated that the club will have to stand on its own and not be bailed out by millions each season, which is important considering we will be borrowing some £150m to redevelop the stadium which will have to be paid by LFC alone.

It also leaks into the clubs buying policy. We probably will continue buying potential, even if the risk of failure of those we are buying is lower than previously.

As someone said previously on here, the club will not risk having a large number of high earners on the books in case we do not qualify for next years CL. If we qualify next year again then i would hope that position would change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Truth is, we were listening to the same stuff last summer - we made no progress, we were going to be left behind, a valiant top 4 challenge was our best hope.

Most of us have no idea how we are going to fare next season.

With Suarez leaving, our first 11 was always going to weaken on paper. No way around that. We tried to buy Alexis Sanchez, so there is no shortage of ambition.

For all we know, Markovic could realise the potential that plenty say he has and could quickly become one of the best attacking players in the PL. Given that we already have 2/3 of the better attacking players in the league in Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana, we still definitely could still have one of the most fearsome attacks in the league next season.

Whatever about having a good attack, it was our midfield and defence that let us down last season.

Hopefully some proper defenders and a controlling midfielder are on the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

joe123 wrote: »
    To be honest I wanted to get tickets for the Stoke game as it fell in with time off at work. Signed in at 9 this morning, was in a queue and they sold out while in the queue :(

Guess I'll try again tomorrow morning!

You need to be on and waiting at 8.15 to have any decent shot of getting tickets

Mirror reporting in their transfer gossip section that the Moreno deal is off (take with pinch of salt) but saying we are in for Griezman (it's on) but so are Monaco (grabs salt cellar again).

€30 Million buy out clause apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

K-9 wrote: »
    Mirror reporting in their transfer gossip section that the Moreno deal is off (take with pinch of salt) but saying we are in for Griezman (it's on) but so are Monaco (grabs salt cellar again).

€30 Million buy out clause apparently.
    The echo were saying the moreno deal was off yesterday, and I would trust that a lot more than the mirror one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No mention of Reus which surely means it's a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No mention of Reus which surely means it's a formality.

[URL="Report: Liverpool to bid $75 million for Marco Reus"]http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/15/report-liverpool-to-bid-75-million-for-marco-reus/?utm_source=FB - NBC Sports - NBC Sports Soccer&utm_network=facebook&utm_post=2861092&utm_tags=[/URL]

According to multiple reports Liverpool are considering a monster bid for Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus.

With the $128 million they received for Luis Suarez burning a hole in their pocket, the Reds are reportedly contemplating a $75 million offer for the German international according to the Daily Express.

5live wrote: »
    Not much, only the probable loss that the club made. Iirc we made a £50m loss in a 10 month financial year from the last reports. Now there may be some income due later on in the 12 month financial year(start of the new financial year) but the facts are that the club was running at a loss for the last accounting period.

I believe FSG have stated that the club will have to stand on its own and not be bailed out by millions each season, which is important considering we will be borrowing some £150m to redevelop the stadium which will have to be paid by LFC alone.

It also leaks into the clubs buying policy. We probably will continue buying potential, even if the risk of failure of those we are buying is lower than previously.

As someone said previously on here, the club will not risk having a large number of high earners on the books in case we do not qualify for next years CL. If we qualify next year again then i would hope that position would change.

Could do your head in going too in depth on finance stuff! IIRC the last accounts showed a loss but better than the previous 10 month accounts. We'll have the PL and CL money in along with new sponsorship deals.

Obviously as you say FSG will not splash it all in one shop (well Southampton excluded!) but I'd hope with Suarez gone we'd be able to splash out on one player and offer big enough wages. The rest of our signings so far and the likes of Moreno and Lovren aren't going to be big wage earners, so there should be some room.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement