Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Kirby wrote: »
    Good points tbh.

And I find it curious that Rodgers publicly criticised the Spurs scattergun approach spending the Bale money last season and seems to be repeating exactly what they did.

Not that I don't think some of these signings will be successful, but he has done exactly what he said he wouldn't.....buy several 20 million pound players instead of one 50 million pound one.

why buy someone who will improve your starting 11 when you can buy a bunch of aspas' :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

So we are going into meltdown mode then yeah? Ill put it in my diary so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Turtyturd wrote: »
    No match thread?

Match thread in memory of Mike65 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Some people really need to chill the fūck out.

We have no idea what's going on behind closed doors and none of us have any idea just how difficult even the simplest of transfers can be. People who talk about how we should just throw more money at players as if multiple millions of pounds mean nothing and can be conjured up out of thin air. A club has to be run, wages have to be paid - not just to players - and bills have to be paid. I don't know about you, but I'm much happier knowing that our club is being run responsibly and this will work in our favour in the long run. Relax, the results will come.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Good points tbh.

And I find it curious that Rodgers publicly criticised the Spurs scattergun approach spending the Bale money last season and seems to be repeating exactly what they did.

Not that I don't think some of these signings will be successful, but he has done exactly what he said he wouldn't.....buy several 20 million pound players instead of one 50 million pound one.

Weren't a few of the signings of Baldini and Levy's doing near if not all entirely?

Lamela it's well known wanted to stay in Rome by all accounts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm just a little deflated to be honest.

It was always going to happen I suppose, it's a bit like 'back to reality' after the dream of last season.

Maybe I'm being defeatist, but you look at Chelsea and City and the calibre of players they go after and ultimately deliver, and then compare them to our punts and bargain-basement shopping, you start to feel that it's impossible to compete. I mean, they just signed a 29 year-old left-back for £20m. I totally understand the club not being able to sanction something like that, but at the end of the day Chelsea now have a truly top quality left-back for the next few years while we're looking at the likes of Davies and Bertrand.

The team Chelsea are putting together now is a bit ridiculous, and obviously City have that type of team too. Can we compete? Very, very difficult imo.

Having the best player in the league gave you that glimmer of hope - Suarez offered us something others clubs, even with all their millions, could only dream of. But now he's gone.

Call me cynical but I think we will be waiting a long time for the type of title challenge we had last year, which makes missing out last year all the more disappointing, as I don't feel like it's a chance that's going to come around again in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

joe123 wrote: »
    Please don't assume for me thanks.

If people believe that Gerrard will be able to maintain a high standard week in week out with Champions league matches in between then I dont know what way they are looking at it.

We leaked goals last season partly down to the fact we had no defenisve midfield cover. If Khedira is available we should be going in for him.

Lucas showed last season he is struggling. Lallana cannot play defenisve mid either.

By all accounts Lucas is surplus to requirements. Think it was James Pearce of the Echo who stated that we are willing to listen to offers.

Assumed incorrectly did I?

Morzadec wrote: »
    Well Felipe Luis is far more proven/better than Moreno, let's not forget that

Fare more proven? Not sure really. At 28/29 he only really came to the fore under Simeone this season and didnt establish himself as a regular in the Brazil side either.

I could well be wrong but flavor of the month to me it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Good points tbh.

I can't think of a single player we could pay £50m on, without being massively ripped off.

Apart from Reus, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

slingerz wrote: »
    Fare more proven? Not sure really. At 28/29 he only really came to the fore under Simeone this season and didnt establish himself as a regular in the Brazil side either.

Well Coutinho couldn't get into the Brazil side and I think we can all recognise that he surely would have brought something severely lacking to them. I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat him with.

As for one good season, I would disagree also. I would say he's had 3 very good seasons, with the last one being the standout one, but really just a culmination of a string of solid performances over the two previous years.

Moreno on the other hand only really has one full season under his belt, a season not as impressive as Luis' one.

Don't get me wrong, from a long-term view, considering finances etc... signing Moreno for 20m makes a hell of a lot more sense than Luis at 20m.

My point is that as a current player now, everything would suggest that Luis is currently superior and is ready to play to the highest level right now. Chelsea have the luxury of being able to spend big on players like this, we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Is the time fixed yet? Afternoon works for me.

Coz i wouldn't want to miss it just for the sheer novelty of a meltdown on thread:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lets thrash the gaf.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Seaba wrote: »
    Chelsea pay 20 million (football365.com) for 28 year old Filipe Luis (29 next month)
    Liverpool won't pay 20 million for 22 year old Moreno (22 two weeks ago)

I'm a 27 year old left back should someone spend 20 million on me? the players are worth what they are worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm just a little deflated to be honest.

It was always going to happen I suppose, it's a bit like 'back to reality' after the dream of last season.

Maybe I'm being defeatist, but you look at Chelsea and City and the calibre of players they go after and ultimately deliver, and then compare them to our punts and bargain-basement shopping, you start to feel that it's impossible to compete. I mean, they just signed a 29 year-old left-back for £20m. I totally understand the club not being able to sanction something like that, but at the end of the day Chelsea now have a truly top quality left-back for the next few years while we're looking at the likes of Davies and Bertrand.

The team Chelsea are putting together now is a bit ridiculous, and obviously City have that type of team too. Can we compete? Very, very difficult imo.

Having the best player in the league gave you that glimmer of hope - Suarez offered us something others clubs, even with all their millions, could only dream of. But now he's gone.

Call me cynical but I think we will be waiting a long time for the type of title challenge we had last year, which makes missing out last year all the more disappointing, as I don't feel like it's a chance that's going to come around again in the foreseeable future.

Here's a sad fact. Unless Liverpool moves to London we're always going to be at a significant disadvantage to Chelsea and Arsenal and even Spurs if they ever manage to break into and stay in the CL positions. It's not a co-incidence that the "massive" teams in the major European leagues are in capital or "destination" type cities e.g. PSG, Monaco, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan etc. There are some exceptions like Manchester but it's increasingly difficult for the exceptions to command the attention of the really top players unless they are prepared to pay them a premium over and above what the capital/destination cities will pay them and that requires oil/arab type ownership or a foundation of mega success (Man U) which produces sponsorship deals like the Addidas £75m per annum deal Man U just completed. That's a Suarez like sale every single year for the next 10 years!!!

Whether we like it or not LFC are in the 2nd tier of football clubs when it comes to financial clout and short of being taken over by an Arab who'll mess with the club for a few years and then pull the plug leaving us in a Portsmouth type situation there's nothing we can really do about it. We just have to outsmart our competition and buy cleverly which is why throwing another €4m at Moreno over and above the €16m LFC values him at just isn't viable. We simply don't have that sort of bottomless pit of cash.

I'd still rather support a club which has true heritage and works hard for it's success than one which simply buys it's success.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

BenThere wrote: »
    Here's a sad fact. Unless Liverpool moves to London we're always going to be at a significant disadvantage to Chelsea and Arsenal and even Spurs if they ever manage to break into and stay in the CL positions. It's not a co-incidence that the "massive" teams in the major European leagues are in capital or "destination" type cities e.g. PSG, Monaco, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan etc. There are some exceptions like Manchester but it's increasingly difficult for the exceptions to command the attention of the really top players unless they are prepared to pay them a premium over and above what the capital/destination cities will pay them and that requires oil/arab type ownership or a foundation of mega success (Man U) which produces sponsorship deals like the Addidas £75m per annum deal Man U just completed. That's a Suarez like sale every single year for the next 10 years!!!

Whether we like it or not LFC are in the 2nd tier of football clubs when it comes to financial clout and short of being taken over by an Arab who'll mess with the club for a few years and then pull the plug leaving us in a Portsmouth type situation there's nothing we can really do about it. We just have to outsmart our competition and buy cleverly which is why throwing another €4m at Moreno over and above the €16m LFC values him at just isn't viable. We simply don't have that sort of bottomless pit of cash.

I'd still rather support a club which has true heritage and works hard for it's success than one which simply buys it's success.

Ben

I went into shock for a moment as I thought you said "buy cleverley"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We could do worse than signing Cleverly... We could sign kess, Nuri or rarnes. I would say me but I was majestic on the Astro last night.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We could do worse than signing Cleverly... We could sign kess, Nuri or rarnes. I would say me but I was majestic on the Astro last night.

Rarnes is Steven Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He was excellent for Deportivo and has been for Atletico for years. People are only hearing about him know because of the brilliant season Atletico had. I wouldn't hold it against him not being in the Brazil squad he definitely should have been in it, Scolari just had his favourites regardless of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cleverly... rarnes.

*cough* *cough*

• Advertisement

Well Coutinho couldn't get into the Brazil side and I think we can all recognise that he surely would have brought something severely lacking to them. I wouldn't use that as a stick to beat him with.

As for one good season, I would disagree also. I would say he's had 3 very good seasons, with the last one being the standout one, but really just a culmination of a string of solid performances over the two previous years.

Moreno on the other hand only really has one full season under his belt, a season not as impressive as Luis' one.

Don't get me wrong, from a long-term view, considering finances etc... signing Moreno for 20m makes a hell of a lot more sense than Luis at 20m.

My point is that as a current player now, everything would suggest that Luis is currently superior and is ready to play to the highest level right now. Chelsea have the luxury of being able to spend big on players like this, we don't.

I agree in general, but the Count comparison is a little off given the ages of the players and the various amount of playing time they would have had to give themselves the exposure to make the team.

Thing is a 28/29 I find it hard to fathom how he could be such a late bloomer to warrant a £20M fee but I could be wrong!

Johner wrote: »
    He was excellent for Deportivo and has been for Atletico for years. People are only hearing about him know because of the brilliant season Atletico had. I wouldn't hold it against him not being in the Brazil squad he definitely should have been in it, Scolari just had his favourites regardless of form.

If he was excellent for Deportivo and for Athletico for years then there must have been more managers than just Scolari overlooking him.

His price is a misnomer anyway as it involves Chelsea which is going to inflate the price naturally and he is coming off the back of a good season.

Its just a fee and a signing that I dont see the logic too really, in that the saving on wages from Cole departing plus the improvement in ability would be minimal at best for me with Luis not having the scope to improve really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They've fallen in that regard too, in the past. Kerzhakov being a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm a 27 year old left back should someone spend 20 million on me? the players are worth what they are worth.
    Are they really? David Luiz is worth 50 million? The selling club decide what the player is worth and it is up to the buying club if they want to match this valuation.
    While I don't believe it is worth paying significantly over the odds for any player if you have to pay an extra 4 million to get a 22 year old left back, a position where we have been left exposed in the past, then you pay it and you smile on match day when you see Moreno running out to left back rather than Bertrand or Davies.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    *cough* *cough*

Well rarnes would cost so much in wages. Having to pay 32 separate boards.ie accounts would kill our budget.

And we can't sign you cause you'd get in a row with Danny.

de4fa796ad2cd304fb68cc879df6fc96.png
    9fd8b0ff61b30d166419a6f9a24157b8.png
    bb879e9b0e1a10805dbd81ac23ed9428.png
    fb2b03734f1ff48b81371d2020ac2bc3.png

No 360 spin dribble stat unfortunately, and lol at Johnson having a positive defensive score. As a whole, I refuse to believe anything positive towards Johnson. Also got to remember that Flano was a RB covering at LB last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If he was excellent for Deportivo and for Athletico for years then there must have been more managers than just Scolari overlooking him.

His price is a misnomer anyway as it involves Chelsea which is going to inflate the price naturally and he is coming off the back of a good season.

Its just a fee and a signing that I dont see the logic too really, in that the saving on wages from Cole departing plus the improvement in ability would be minimal at best for me with Luis not having the scope to improve really

He went to Atletico for €13.5 million just months after recovering from a horrific leg break and probably would have went to the World Cup in 2010 if it wasn't for that break. The logic is he's a world class left back that will slot in and improve Chelsea's back 4 allowing Azpilicueta to go back to his natural position at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well rarnes would cost so much in wages. Having to pay 32 separate boards.ie accounts would kill our budget.

And we can't sign you cause you'd get in a row with Danny.

My foot is back in action and I was linked with the club before, to fill the void left by one of Suarez's suspensions.
    The may make the move now, as I'm starting to push on a bit.
    Also the club needs a big sap signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We should be focusing all of our energies in producing more young talent like Sterling, as our financial limitations mean that our youth products and players we can develop are more significant than the type of signings that some believe we should be making. That's where we are as a club now.

I'd like to see Ibe go out on a really solid loan this year, maybe Texeira too. Not sure that we have anyone else (Wisdom maybe) that hasnt already significant featured that would be ready for 1st team premiership football.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

No 360 spin dribble stat unfortunately, and lol at Johnson having a positive defensive score. As a whole, I refuse to believe anything positive towards Johnson. Also got to remember that Flano was a RB covering at LB last season.

I vote for the guy plaing in Germany.

Jan Hagen @PortuBall · 3h
    Fun fact on Markovic: Nicknamed A Borboleta[The Butterfly] by his teammates because of his size and that he was almost impossible to catch.

nobody_ever_suspects____by_elyonsan-d329i39.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I trust what BR and the club want to do and sign, people just think signing names is the way forward, why can't we sign Fabregas, why can't we sign Vidal, eh I think It's because we are not financed by oil money.

All the doom and gloomers were proved unbelievably wrong after last January window when we didn't sign anyone, here's hoping that egg and their face come into alignment again next season. I almost get the feeling that people have been duped by our phenomenal season last season into thinking we should be competing for the league this season even after losing Suarez, get a hold of yourself and look around at the competition, it will be tough to make the top 4 and a good achievement if they do.

I can actually picture BR getting plenty of grief next season off the naysayers, soon as we hit a bump, they'll be waiting to pounce, I'm already embarrassed thinking about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

joe123 wrote: »
    If Khedira is available we should be going in for him.

Not a hope lad. Supposedly looking for near 200k a week. That's what Suarez was on! You need to want realistic players, not pipe dreams.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Chelsea signing players from Atletico. While we are signing them from Southampton. Probably shows where we are at in terms of transfer dealings. We just don't seem to want players who would command huge wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

MD1990 wrote: »
    Chelsea signing players from Atletico. While we are signing them from Southampton. Probably shows where we are at in terms of transfer dealings. We just don't seem to want players who would command huge wages.

Wake up and smell the coffee, we dont have a Russian billionaire. We dont have the same revenue stream and funding as Utd do, we dont have an oil baron and we dont have a stadium built and paid for to generate income like Arsenal do. We arent based in a "desitination" city.

Your pipe dream players dont want to come here, and we dont have the money to pay their wages.

It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I am pie wrote: »
    Wake up and smell the coffee, we dont have a Russian billionaire. We dont have the same revenue stream and funding as Utd do, we dont have an oil baron and we dont have a stadium built and paid for to generate income like Arsenal do. We arent based in a "desitination" city.

Your pipe dream players dont want to come here, and we dont have the money to pay their wages.

It's not rocket science.

Sign up Iain Dowie as an assistant manager. Dowie apparently has a post-grad degree in aeronautical engineering.

Then it becomes rocket science! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am pie wrote: »

It's not rocket science.

I just don't get it, we are never signing Khedira, it would be madness.

As the great Peter Finch said in Network: I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Reports that spurs have a £10m bid accepted for Davies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

5live wrote: »

Yes, but they're buying Simon Davies back from a few years ago!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apparently thier are pictures of him around the Spurs training ground from today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Ayre: Brendan, we've hit a wall on this Moreno deal. They're holding out for the asking price.

Brendan: Damn. We could pretend to turn our attentions elsewhere til they fold, but you just know Spurs are going to meet the asking price any day now!

Ayre: If only there were a left back we could feign interest in so we can get some leverage on Sevilla and at the same time bait Spurs into a bid to distract them...

ian_ayre.jpg

• Advertisement

So, we've spent 2 months more or less trying to sign Moreno, and with Davies off to Spurs (not particularly fussed) and it's looking like Betrand is a real possibility again :o

I rather just keep Enrique at no.1, hope he doesn't relapse into spending thousands on ultimate team packs in FIFA 15, and if Johnson has to stay because no one is dumb enough to sign him, he can be Enrique's back up as he's better at LB than RB. We also have Flano just incase. Strengthen RB in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So, we've spent 2 months more or less trying to sign Moreno, and with Davies off to Spurs (not particularly fussed) and it's looking like Betrand is a real possibility again :o
    /QUOTE]

We might get our 3rd choice left-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Any news on starting XI for the game at 5?

We might get our 3rd choice left-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Getting pipped by Spurs was acceptable when we didn't have CL football....going to be interesting to see how we end up regarding the LB position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Assumed incorrectly did I?

Yes bud. Where did I ever say we should be signing Pogba, Vidal etc? Khedira is the only "big" name that has been mentioned as being close to joining Arsenal and used him as an example. Or are you saying we shouldn't be going for that type of quality?

You might not know this but in the world of football, usually the best footballers are names we all know.

If that's your contribution to the forums then Id advise ya not to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

K-9 wrote: »
    Not a hope lad. Supposedly looking for near 200k a week. That's what Suarez was on! You need to want realistic players, not pipe dreams.

If he is looking for 200k then I agree it would be crazy to pay him that. Read a report today saying he was looking for 100k so not sure whats true there.

If 100k were his wages then we should be going for him.

LFC v Brondby

Jones, Kelly, Illori, Agger, Smith, Lucas, Rossiter, Coutinho, Suso, Borini, Texeira

Subs

Ward, Allen, Ibe, Coady, Skrtel, Flanagan, Adorjan, Phillips, Wisdom, Lloyd Jones, Peterson, Stewart

• Advertisement

Really, really interested in seeing how Illori looks this pre season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement