Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

slingerz wrote: »
    Cant go signing first team starters all of the time. Liverpool need to build a squad and the likes of Bertrand/Richards would be squad options rather than first name on the teamsheet signings.

With the extra games due to the CL next season as well as a renewed focus for progress in the cups the squad needs to be improved to cope with the extra games. These players will do that and provide options to Rodgers.

Who are Bertrand/Richards better than what we already have in the squad?

We need better than what we already have in the squad!

Flanagan, Johnson, Enrique, Kelly, Wisdom are all equal too or better than those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Flanagan, Johnson, Enrique, Kelly, Wisdom are all equal too or better than those two.

Flanagan must be worth at least £25 million at this stage......flog him off to Real and use the proceeds to buy Moreno and pay off the rest of Johnson's contract

This is the point Flanagan & Enrique become the squad players and we buy two first team starters!

This is why buying Bertrand & Richards to me is a complete waste of money as neither of them are better than Flanagan & Enrique!

This needs to be done in every postition unless we are buying better than what we already have then don't buy anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gbear wrote: »
    If he had a release clause, this statement doesn't make any sense.

Yes, it does, if both trigger the release clause then Liverpool are forced to sell but then it would have become a bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, it does, if both trigger the release clause then Liverpool are forced to sell but then it would have become a bidding war.

Surely it would just come down to Suarez deciding which team he wanted to join for 75m?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Evans:"Real and Barca entered into a bidding war with Suarez, but after the bite, Madrid walked away. He could have been a £100m player"

Annoying. There were more options potentially in obtaining players from Real Madrid in swap + cash deal - Varane, Illarramendi, Isco, Di Maria and Carvajal compared to just Sanchez at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Eh I'm not so sure about that tbh. Take kelly for example. Richards has a similar injury record to Kelly recently but wasnt always a sicknote, not sure the same could be said for Kelly. i like him as much as the next guy but to say he is equal or better than Richards is just plain wrong imo. Kelly has managed 33 appearances for us to date and has one england cap. Richards has played 179 times for city and has 13 england caps despite only being 2 years older than Kelly. Not to mention he has had to compete with expensively purchased international players in his position almost all his career, unlike Kelly. I would have thought Kelly as some catching up to do before you can say he is equal to Richards. Plus richards can cover at centre back, something we have all heard Kelly can do but have never actualy seen at senior level, bar maybe once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Odd that Real Madrid would walk away after the bite. This is the club that has Pepe and Ramos on the books?! :eek:

Although maybe they didn't want the hassle of so many players suspended at the one time!

Had a quick glance at the access requests and spotted a few people who posted in here during the WC, which is good. Might have a few more contributors soon.

Then I remembered Grayditch's request once more, and I laughed.

Its a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Gbear wrote: »
    If he had a release clause, this statement doesn't make any sense.

Doesn't it? If there's, say, an £80m clause which Barcelona meet but Real Madrid then offer £90m can't LFC just sell to Madrid?

If someone meets the clause they can still be outbid before a deal is completed.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Surely it would just come down to Suarez deciding which team he wanted to join for 75m?

Technically, yeah. But I'd imagine LFC could deliberately act the knob over payment structures, or Ayre having his Harley break down on the way to the airport in order to delay the low bidder, if it came down to that.

Suarez didn't seem to have a preference either way and left on good terms so I personally don't think he'd have kicked up much of a fuss over the club wanting the highest fee possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Surely it would depend on the wording of any such clause in his contract.

You think Liverpool's lawyers would be stupid enough to put a clause in place which removes the possibility of a bidding war?

It could easily say that Liverpool must listen to and accept offers above 75m, but in the event of multiple interested parties it is the highest bid which determines the ultimate price regardless of which team ends up buying him.

Doesn't it? If there's, say, an £80m clause which Barcelona meet but Real Madrid then offer £90m can't LFC just sell to Madrid?

If someone meets the clause they can still be outbid before a deal is completed.

Technically, yeah. But I'd imagine LFC could deliberately act the knob over payment structures, or Ayre having his Harley break down on the way to the airport in order to delay the low bidder, if it came down to that.

Suarez didn't seem to have a preference either way and left on good terms so I personally don't think he'd have kicked up much of a fuss over the club wanting the highest fee possible.

If its a legal contract stating that any sum of 75m, or more, must be accepted, then there is no reason for any team to bid over that 75m. The door is already opened, so to speak.

Edit: Reading spockety's post. Perhaps. But there's a lot of speculation there!

mormank wrote: »
    Eh I'm not so sure about that tbh. Take kelly for example. Richards has a similar injury record to Kelly recently but wasnt always a sicknote, not sure the same could be said for Kelly. i like him as much as the next guy but to say he is equal or better than Richards is just plain wrong imo. Kelly has managed 33 appearances for us to date and has one england cap. Richards has played 179 times for city and has 13 england caps despite only being 2 years older than Kelly. Not to mention he has had to compete with expensively purchased international players in his position almost all his career, unlike Kelly. I would have thought Kelly as some catching up to do before you can say he is equal to Richards. Plus richards can cover at centre back, something we have all heard Kelly can do but have never actualy seen at senior level, bar maybe once.

That's fair enough but that's just one player of the five Liverpool players who can play fullback. on the CB we already have 4 Internationls there and maybe 5 if Lovren joins.

Is he better than Flanagan, Johnson the players he would have to compete with for the RB slot? So we are buying Richards then as third choice RB maybe second?

The same can be said for Bertrand is he better than what we already have?
    Is he better than Enrique, and a right footed Flanagan who made role is last season? So we are buying Bertrand to be third choice LB?

That ticketing system is terrible.

It was better when they used to reward supporters who go to certain games with a number that wasn't crazy, ie 14 games.

They still do for Everton and Utd tbf.

So after everything else selling out I still manage an Everton ticket. Picked up 3 yesterday but was really hoping for more.

The current stadium size is an embarrassment. Thankfully it's being addressed albeit 30 years too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I honestly think that there is a very good attacking fullback inside Richards, the same way I always thought there was huge potential in Sturridge. If anyone can get the best out of Richards it will be Rodgers, so I honestly think he's worth a punt for the 5/6m being quoted.

If we don't get Moreno, Flanno will probably be cover for both RB and LB, so let Richards and Flanno put pressure on Johnson for his place. Don't know where Kelly fits in though. Kept as cover for CB too maybe.

Edit: I don't think we should be going anywhere near Bertrand fwiw.

Atleti have opened up negotiations with Seville to sign Moreno to replace Filipe Luis supposedly.

In short, if true, smh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That's fair enough but that's just one player of the five Liverpool players who can play fullback.

Is he better than Flanagan, Johnson the players he would have to compete with for the RB slot? So we are buying Richards then as third choice RB maybe second?

Is he better than Enrique, and a right footed Flanagan who made role is last season? So we are buying Bertrand to be third choice LB?

Well you'll get no argument from me regarding Bertrand. I simply have not seen enough of him. Richards I would argue could be better than Johnson and Flanno at right back yes. Johnson has been poison for over a season now, and on many people wishlists to get rid of so i don't think i even need to debate that with you. Flanno on the other hand was very good last season. Essentially his first full season as a starter for us, let's just see how he gets on next season and develops before making a final assessment on him. Many players have failed to live up to their first full season as starters in many different scenarios. The other thing would be that Richards can play centre back so he could be cover for two positions, something which Rodgers seems to like in a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Atleti have opened up negotiations with Seville to sign Moreno to replace Filipe Luis supposedly.

In short, if true, smh.

Have to think that's that then. Not getting him and going for Bertrand doesn't make much sense to me, money is there to go for upgrades. It's a bit puzzling tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

If signing Richards means we step off Bertrand, I approve. Richards is a decent defender who's lost his touch, which I'm sure Brendan can re-kindle. I think he can also play CB, which is decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Bertrand is a better LB than what we have at present.

Richards is a better RB than our RB's bar Johnson on top form.

Flanagan's versatility to cover both positions should see him being kept in the squad or maybe sent on loan for experience. Kelly and Wisdom IMO are not good enough for the required level.

As for centre half, I am not Sakho's biggest fan. Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Kolo are not good enough IMO. The jury remains out on Ilori

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Richards is a better RB than our RB's bar Johnson on top form.

Flanagan's versatility to cover both positions should see him being kept in the squad or maybe sent on loan for experience. Kelly and Wisdom IMO are not good enough for the required level.

As for centre half, I am not Sakho's biggest fan. Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Kolo are not good enough IMO. The jury remains out on Ilori

Yes Johnson is a great player on form but right now he is poison to the team and was a lucky man to be going to the World Cup .

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Why would Madrid do that when they could just match the 80m bid and offer the extra 10m to Suarez to insure he picks them? We were never gonna get more than his buyout clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Rafa rated Bertrand very highly for what its worth.

I have to strongly disagree with this.

Enrique is a better LB than him even a right footed Flanagan is better than him at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bertrand better than Enrique?

Enrique really is underrated here.

I find it very hard to have any opinion on Bertrand's quality. He just hasn't played enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Robbie Keane scores a peach.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bertrand better than Enrique?

Enrique really is underrated here.

Overrated here by some IMO. If he was so good you would wonder why Rodgers has been trying to replace him in recent seasons.

Flanagan was passable in that position last year but often his performances were enhanced by fans due to his homegrown background.

5live wrote: »
    Robbie Keane scores a peach.

Lolz. Newspaper article linked as a YouTube video.

You're losing it, 5live :pac:

• Advertisement

Overrated here by some IMO. If he was so good you would wonder why Rodgers has been trying to replace him in recent seasons.

Flanagan was passable in that position last year but often his performances were enhanced by fans due to his homegrown background.

You would wonder about a lot of things 'The Rodgers' does....Victory Moses being one.

Agree about Flanagan though, both him and Henderson were overrated last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Had a quick glance at the access requests and spotted a few people who posted in here during the WC, which is good. Might have a few more contributors soon.

Then I remembered Grayditch's request once more, and I laughed.

Its a good day.

I just got access at last. Where do I go to get my panda kit and a pack of 10p crisps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Why would Madrid do that when they could just match the 80m bid and offer the extra 10m to Suarez to insure he picks them? We were never gonna get more than his buyout clause.

Going back to Spockety's post, I doubt the club would have been foolish enough to deny themselves a potential bidding war. It would have been quite shortsighted not to have some bold print stating the high bidder gets first refusal if more than one club meets the clause. Evans' quotes make it that bit more plausible.

Anyway, he's gone so it's pointless talking about what might have happened if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If siing Richards means we stp off Bertrand, I approve. Richards is a decent defender who's ltst his touch, which I'm sure Brendan can re-kindle. I think he can also play CB, which is decent too.

Is there an evidence that Rodgers can rekindle careers?

One thing I have noticed is that Rodgers is very quick to drop and isolate players he believes isn't doing a job for him: sahin, assaidi,Carroll, aspaz, Moses, Enrique etc

Another thing Liverpool have a great chance at attracting quality young players that could make a name for themselves, with the appeal of cl football but Rodgers seems to be going for players in a lower bracket.

Enrique was always very good to excellent defensively, and while he had his moments when attacking, that was as a LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Another thing Liverpool have a great chance at attracting quality young players that could make a name for themselves, with the appeal of cl football but Rodgers seems to be going for players in a lower bracket.

Surely that describes Markovic almost exactly? Possibly even Can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Its only my opinion but yes, if he could sort out his injury problems he's better than any that we have. Hes also extremely experienced for his age which will be vital next season. I'd welcome him ahead of a number if others we've been linked with

(Yay they let me into the soccer forum)

I haven't seen much of Bertrand but Enrique isn't a bad LB, 360 turns and lack of a right foot aside. I wouldn't see much point in loaning Flanagan either. Very early to be saying Wisdom wont make it either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Surely that describes Markovic almost exactly? Possibly even Can.

And Aspaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Is there an evidence that Rodgers can rekindle careers?

One thing I have noticed is that Rodgers is very quick to drop and isolate players he believes isn't doing a job for him: sahin, assaidi,Carroll, aspaz, Moses, Enrique etc

Sturridge is the main man that comes to mind. Henderson and Coutinho as well, to a certain extent. Henderson looked certain to be on his way out and Coutinho wasn't even a starter at Inter (I think).

tritium wrote: »
    Its only my opinion but yes, if he could sort out his injury problems he's better than any that we have. Hes also extremely experienced for his age which will be vital next season. I'd welcome him ahead of a number if others we've been linked with

(Yay they let me into the soccer forum)

That's the problem!

We have a stupid history in recent history of buy players with injury problems granted we spent alot more money on them Carroll and Aquilani cost a combined £52m and both were signed injured.

So we spend £7/8m on Richards and hope he doesn't break down something he hasn't be able to do for over 2 seasons now.

We could go for players like Aaron Cresswell and Kieran Trippier for the same kind of money and they would be a better gamble than Richards and Bertrand.

That money can be used better is all I'm saying.

We can and should be buying better than Richards and Bertrand!

• Advertisement

Rodgers did well with Henderson and Flanagan and excellent with Sterling. Moses and Aspas just weren't good enough really. Sahin probably the strange one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

QUOTE=Calvin Leong;91316164]Sturridge is the main man that comes to mind. Henderson and Coutinho as well, to a certain extent. Henderson looked certain to be on his way out and Coutinho wasn't even a starter at Inter (I think).[/QUOTE]

I think themain reason Henderson looked out was because Rodgers tried to sell him for 2 million, coutinho was a very promising young player but he suffered a lot with injury and never really got started at inter. Sturidge had a lot of promise too but wasn't good enough for money bags Chelsea or city.

Granted he did get them all playing very well and in Daniels case exceptional so there is some merit to the argument.

K-9 wrote: »
    Rodgers did well with Henderson and Flanagan and excellent with Sterling. Moses and Aspas just weren't good enough really. Sahin probably the strange one!

My brain processed the full stop as a comma for a second, and I laughed out loud. :D

And Aspaz.

Aspaz is it?

You would wonder about a lot of things 'The Rodgers' does....Victory Moses being one.

Agree about Flanagan though, both him and Henderson were overrated last year.

Victory Moses was brought in to add depth to a painfully thin squad without relying on youth players.

Henderson is much further along the lines in terms of development as a player than Flanagan and has much greater scope for improving to an elite level IMO.

Liverpool need a squad of 22-24 players for the coming season. The likes of Richards/Bertrand make it a stronger 'squad' than what exists there already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

QUOTE=Calvin Leong;91316164]Sturridge is the main man that comes to mind. Henderson and Coutinho as well, to a certain extent. Henderson looked certain to be on his way out and Coutinho wasn't even a starter at Inter (I think)

I think themain reason Henderson looked out was because Rodgers tried to sell him for 2 million, coutinho was a very promising young player but he suffered a lot with injury and never really got started at inter. Sturidge had a lot of promise too but wasn't good enough for money bags Chelsea or city.

Granted he did get them all playing very well and in Daniels case exceptional so there is some merit to the argument.

Source?

Victory Moses was brought in to add depth to a painfully thin squad without relying on youth players.

Henderson is much further along the lines in terms of development as a player than Flanagan and has much greater scope for improving to an elite level IMO.

Liverpool need a squad of 22-24 players for the coming season. The likes of Richards/Bertrand make it a stronger 'squad' than what exists there already

But he loaned out a better player than Moses to bring Moses in.

Despite all that stuff Henderson was still overrated last year.

Additions to the squad should be brought in to be starting in their position, or with the view to being long term replacements for who we currently have in those positions, while being able to contribute now if required.

They should also be better than Bertrand and Richards.

K-9 wrote: »

Hindsight.

Serious lack of game time over the past year before moving to us, including missing out on two consecutive pre-seasons with Madrid and Liverpool. Always playing catch up fitness wise, and that's not forgetting the bad injury while in Madrid.

Buying Allen for big money was always going to see him get priority in the CM role.

Lucas getting injured forced Nuri to play as a destroyer at times which I said he wasn't capable of doing and saw him get criticised by some Liverpool fans. The Stoke game springs to mind. At Dortmund, he had Sebsatian Kehl or Sven Bender being the all out DM. Think Xabi and Mascherano for us.

Anyway, he's back in Dortmund and was one of our best players last season, was in Kicker's half way team of the year too, so it's all good now. :D

edit - and on that last point I almost forgot, he performed to a very high standard with basically half our team missing the entire season and most of the other midfielders out for lengthy periods of time.

Additions to the squad should be brought in to be starting in their position, or with the view to being long term replacements for who we currently have in those positions, while being able to contribute now if required.

They should also be better than Bertrand and Richards.

I don't think he was at all, tbh. Towards the end of the season after he picked up that red card against Man City, the midfield was not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I don't think he was at all, tbh. Towards the end of the season after he picked up that red card against Man City, the midfield was not the same.

I agree with Nuri. The heat is obviously getting to ya Turty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement