Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

It seems that they're holding up giving Lambert and Markovic numbers until certain numbers free up. Unless we are signing another striker for the first XI, I expect Lambert to take Aspas's no. 9 shirt and once Assaidi moves on to Stoke, Markovic will probably take no. 11.

Surprised to see Phillips in the tour squad and not Rossiter. He must be regarded highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see that Robbie Fowler has been announced as an official club ambassador this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Colemania wrote: »
    It seems that they're holding up giving Lambert and Markovic numbers until certain numbers free up. Unless we are signing another striker for the first XI, I expect Lambert to take Aspas's no. 9 shirt and once Assaidi moves on to Stoke, Markovic will probably take no. 11.

Surprised to see Phillips in the tour squad and not Rossiter. He must be regarded highly.

Heard markovic wants number 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Morzadec wrote: »
    Heard markovic wants number 50

*checks Liverpoolfc.com to see who no. 50 is*

That's Brannagan off to Madrid then......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Colemania wrote: »
    *checks Liverpoolfc.com to see who no. 50 is*

That's Brannagan off to Madrid then......

Pesky Spaniards raiding the team for our best players, next thing you know they'll want our England superstar glen Johnson.........

(Hurriedly finishes packing his suitcase.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Thoughts on Bakkali that we are being linked to a lot?
    Searing pace, plays anyway across the front three and a knock down fee of £5m being mooted because he has 1 year on his contract and has fallen out with his coach
    At 18 years old it would seem very smart business even if its just to sell on in a few years

Bsu-VZkCEAAcZyA.png

Usual rubbish from the Mirror today, Pogba, Vidal and Reus targets apparently. Zero chance

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-hit-list-now-includes-3875539#.U8hCasBlSzg.twitter
    Liverpool will smash through the £100million spending barrier in a single summer this year for the first time in the club's history.

Manager Brendan Rodgers has already spent £60m and still has QPR striker Loic Remy, Southampton defender Dejan Lovren and Ben Davies, the exciting young Swansea full-back, in his sights.

Rodgers will use the cash received from Barcelona for Luis Suarez to finance the Reds' next batch of moves, and said: “We are working hard behind the scenes to find players, but it will not be a direct replacement [for Suarez].

"We are looking for several players who can add to what we have and improve us again.”

Tottenham were destabilised last summer when they brought in seven players using the £85m Real Madrid paid for winger Gareth Bale.

Manager Andre Villas-Boas lost his job four months later, after the north London club failed to keep up with the title challengers and saw their Champions League qualification hopes fade too.

However, as Rodgers prepares to spend the Suarez money, he argued cashing in on the Uruguayan will only make Liverpool stronger because it offers them the chance to compete with domestic financial superpowers Manchester City and Chelsea.

The Northern Irishman, who steered the Kop club to a surprise second place last season, said: “Obviously, Luis going gives us the clout to go and spend more and we are getting the right type of player in.

“We certainly won’t spend just for the sake of spending. It has to be the sort of player who is going to improve us. But we will definitely be stronger this season - no doubt.”

The Anfield giants have already signed Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Emre Can and Lazar Markovic this off-season, but appear certain to more than DOUBLE that outlay before the window closes at the end of August.

As well as Remy, Lovren and Davies, Rodgers will also target a top class midfielder - with names such as World Cup stars Arturo Vidal and Paul Pogba on the radar.

Rodgers added: “The signings we have made have no relation to Luis going. Absolutely. These are players that were always earmarked to come in.

“We felt last year we just never had the depth, and we are in the Champions League this year, so we have to ensure we have a strong as squad as possible. That is what we will do, no question.”

Liverpool tried to use some of the Suarez cash to attract one of the real stars of the World Cup in Chile icon Alexis Sanchez, but the versatile Barcelona forward chose instead to join Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal.

That has already provoked fears among some Reds fans that the club no longer has the allure to attract the top echelon of stars - men who have their pick of the world’s leading clubs.

Rodgers though, begs to differ.

He will show his intent by paying £20m for Lovren, and will also target Remy - who will be available for around £8m because of a clause in his contract - after accepting any pursuit of Swansea striker Wilfried Bony is simply too complicated.

He will also target a genuine big hitter in midfield, with even Germany’s Marco Reus on his wish list.

Rodgers argued that losing out on Sanchez to Arsene Wenger's Londoners was simply a question of location, location, location.

“I don’t think we will struggle to attract players,” he said. “Sanchez was one where geography dictated where he wanted to go, simple as that.

“It’s been the other way [too]. Lots of players are really impressed by what we are doing as club and really excited about coming here.

"It wasn’t a lack of ambition, far from it. The player and his family simply wanted to choose to live where they did.

"He’s a fantastic player. He would have suited us. His profile would’ve been great. But it was not to be and we move on.”

That is exactly what Liverpool will do as they adjust to life after Suarez, and the Anfield manager will calmly go about the business of replacing a man who provided the impetus for a sustained title challenge with 31 goals last season.

He will not though, obsess over a search for a direct replacement, but instead try to spread the goalscoring burden throughout his new signings.

Remy is an attractive target because his proven Premier League track record almost guarantees 20 goals a season.

And with Lambert and Lallana also proven top-flight scorers, Rodgers is confident his side will have the firepower and creativity to thrive without Suarez - especially as Daniel Sturridge showed during England's brief World Cup campaign that he's now nudging towards the elite level.

“In the times Daniel’s played up there without Luis, he has shown his qualities, but the onus is not really on one player - the strength of us has been the team,” he explained.

“When I came in here, Luis was talked of as someone who didn’t score regularly, didn’t get enough opportunities - or take them. Over the last two years, he proved that with the number of chances we created, you can get goals.

“But it is not just about him. We scored 101 goals last season and he got 31 of them - we have goals all across the team and will bring in players we think can assist with making them.

“The club will be stronger without him - absolutely."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give Lambert the number 7 shirt considering he won't start every game.

If he scores 20 league goals this season then maybe he gets it.
    Let players earn iconic shirts.

Like Iago Aspas did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

djPSB wrote: »
    Like Iago Aspas did.

Aspaz earned it by not being Andy Carroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Thoughts on Bakkali that we are being linked to a lot?
    Searing pace, plays anyway across the front three and a knock down fee of £5m being mooted because he has 1 year on his contract and has fallen out with his coach
    At 18 years old it would seem very smart business even if its just to sell on in a few years

Bsu-VZkCEAAcZyA.png

He is a player that I mentioned on here some time back as one I thought would do well and that I would like to see at Liverpool.

I think the guy has massive potential, and would be delighted if we signed him, even if it were a case that he were loaned back/out at first.

Usual rubbish from the Mirror today, Pogba, Vidal and Reus targets apparently. Zero chance

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-hit-list-now-includes-3875539#.U8hCasBlSzg.twitter

Imagine though,

The pace, oh children the pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

El Inho wrote: »
    10478173_10152691375317573_6661793006585090182_n.jpg

Ya know, when ya look at this list, ya realise we don't need much more.

It's great to see Pepe back in the running. Truly hope we keep him there to keep pressure on Mingolet. But overall thats a decent list of players. Considering this 33 man list gets cut down to 25, excluding those outside selection terms (ie young lads), we've a strong potential 25. Maybe some defensive reinforcements would be welcomed and another attacking option.

I think it's just refreshing to see the squad on paper. I also trust that if there's more signings, Rodgers can combat the whole Spurs-Bale syndrome.

Disagree. Our squad is stronger but our srarting 11 is considerably weaker if that makes sense.

Really feel people are under estimating how big of a loss Suarez is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

joe123 wrote: »
    Disagree. Our squad is stronger but our srarting 11 is considerably weaker if that makes sense.

This sums up our transfer winder thus far.

It's early days yet but I believe that Rodgers will want to have his business done before we kick off against Southampton.

Remy would be a great addition and is a complete no brainer for the price involved. I like Borini but I know who I would prefer as an option to get something from a game.

Hopefully we can get quality reinforcements at the back. We may have had a settled team last year but the number of changes at the back was quite high due to injuries and loss of form. Hopefully we can get players in that improve our starting 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Aspaz earned it by not being Andy Carroll.

I love it!, someone spelt Aspas wrong yesterday, now you're gonna keep spelling it Aspaz, so funny, your wit is legendary Sir! Keep it up along with 'The Rodgers' stuff all top top banter, hopefully the thanks should keep pouring in for you.

0028673 wrote: »
    This sums up our transfer winder thus far.

It's early days yet but I believe that Rodgers will want to have his business done before we kick off against Southampton.

Remy would be a great addition and is a complete no brainer for the price involved. I like Borini but I know who I would prefer as an option to get something from a game.

Hopefully we can get quality reinforcements at the back. We may have had a settled team last year but the number of changes at the back was quite high due to injuries and loss of form. Hopefully we can get players in that improve our starting 11.

Maybe if we keep buying all Southampton's players, they won't have a team to play us?

Shortsighted approach but a guaranteed 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I love it!, someone spelt Aspas wrong yesterday, now you're gonna keep spelling it Aspaz, so funny, your wit is legendary Sir! Keep it up along with 'The Rodgers' stuff all top top banter, hopefully the thanks should keep pouring in for you.

You're upset about harmless in-jokes?

Now_15d62e_2958061.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wahey!

Top Banter.

Baton down the hatches, here comes the cavalry.

• Advertisement

Been a while since we had a meltdown, in fairness.

Knex. wrote: »

Hopefully it's a top top meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd class the now semi-regular hysterics about falling behind in the transfer markets as meltdowns tbh.

Woah, meltdown? Why?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Woah, meltdown? Why?

Grammar Nazism.

Hopefully it's a top top meltdown.

I don't know if you could call it 'World Class' tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

djPSB wrote: »
    Maybe if we keep buying all Southampton's players, they won't have a team to play us?

Shortsighted approach but a guaranteed 3 points.

Pretty sure this is how Ian Ayre sees Southampton right now. Also my very first post in the Soccer forum! :D

BrMJAPvCEAE2JTw.jpg

Grammar Nazism.

God, we could fill a thread real quick with that kinda crap :P

x43r0 wrote: »
    I don't know if you could call it 'World Class' tbh

But the World Class potential is there, it just needs someone to coax it out.

Kinda like 'The Rodgers' coaxing world class talent out of Aspaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You're upset about harmless in-jokes?

Now_15d62e_2958061.jpg

Truth is that this place is awash with in-jokes, much to the detriment of quality posts.

Let's talk tactics lads, I firmly believe that if you want your post to be thanked then a great way to go about it is to thank everyone elses posts, then they will hopefully return the favour, thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

joe123 wrote: »

I was thinking the opposite. Think it's being blown out of proportion. Sure he's a big loss, but we've got the second best striker from last year...who missed a large section through injury.

People thank what they deem to be either interesting or funny. There's no science to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've never made a panda, sap or Doni joke.

I'm currently working on a whole new bunch of Spurs and Fellaini stuff, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

People thank what they deem to be either interesting or funny. There's no science to it.

6n6GEL.jpg

El Inho wrote: »
    I was thinking the opposite. Think it's being blown out of proportion. Sure he's a big loss, but we've got the second best striker from last year...who missed a large section through injury.

How many of sturridges goals were the result of Suarez?
    This stat sums up his contribution to the team
    Luis Suarez scored and assisted 43 of Liverpool's 101 Premier League goals last season - An incredible 42.57%

Suarez also won 5 penalties which are not included as assists

I think its completely impossible to over estimate how important he is to Liverpool. He is double marked constantly which gives other players far more space leading to easier chances for other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah come on lads and lassies , if you are going to have a meltdown where is the net spend argument ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I think its completely impossible to over estimate how important he is to Liverpool. He is double marked constantly which gives other players far more space leading to easier chances for other players.

Time to let go man...he's gone :(

Time to let go man...he's gone :(

One more cry and ill let it go
    Then another month of depression when I see him play for Barca in September

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Southampton (H)
    Man City (A)
    Spurs (A)

That is a tough start to the season and underlines to me that it's vital to get the W against Southampton because it's conceivable that we will have no wins after 3 games. Sorry but I'm a pessimist at heart ;)

I can see United get off to a rocket of a start. Very possible to see them on 18 points after 6 games.

Swansea (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Burnley (A)
    QPR (H)
    Leicester (A)
    West Ham (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

As others have pointed out if we can stabilise at the back then we don't need 101 goals. If we can get half of the goals he contributed to back but ship a lot less then we'll do OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I still don't get all the disappointment about Suarez leaving. Sure, he was an amazing player and his goals will be sorely missed, but we've recovered from far bigger blows than this. When Alonso was sold in 2009, the spine was ripped out of our team and our midfield fell to pieces. The difference here is, that we just need someone to bang in the goals, and Sturridge can fill that role with the service of Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho and Gerrard.

0028673 wrote: »
    Southampton (H)
    Man City (A)
    Spurs (A)

That is a tough start to the season and underlines to me that it's vital to get the W against Southampton because it's conceivable that we will have no wins after 3 games. Sorry but I'm a pessimist at heart ;)

After what we did to Spurs away last season I'd be confident enough to get some sort of win there again albeit Pochettino will have them organised better

I'd expect at least 6 points from those opening three games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Also a brilliantly executed gif can be good for a lot of thanks too .

martyos121 wrote: »
    I still don't get all the disappointment about Suarez leaving. Sure, he was an amazing player and his goals will be sorely missed, but we've recovered from far bigger blows than this. When Alonso was sold in 2009, the spine was ripped out of our team and our midfield fell to pieces. The difference here is, that we just need someone to bang in the goals, and Sturridge can fill that role with the service of Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho and Gerrard.

Your optimism is infectious....

I dont like it. That can get you flamed in here!

Let's talk tactics lads, I firmly believe that if you want your post to be thanked then a great way to go about it is to thank everyone elses posts, then they will hopefully return the favour, thoughts?

No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.

After what we did to Spurs away last season I'd be confident enough to get some sort of win there again albeit Pochettino will have them organised better

I'd expect at least 6 points from those opening three games

I would expect a reaction from Spurs after last year's spanking. There was a lot of upheaval there last year and I would expect Poccettino to get the best out of them.

6 points I'd rip your hand off for that.

But obviously I'm gonna bitch and moan if we lose to Spurs having beaten Southampton and Spurs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Jesus, you'd swear we had to play all games with 10 players this season the way some lads are going on about Suarez.
    Super player and made a massive contribution to LFC but its not like whoever plays in his place is going to do absolutely nothing.
    Going on and on about Suarez's goals and assists completely ignores that there was goals throughout the team last season.
    He's a massive loss but we are not the one man team we are being made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I think the thing I'll miss most about Luis Suarez is his song tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm concerned that all of the players we are signing are players we could have signed without Champions League football - apart from maybe Markovic.

• Advertisement

Also a brilliantly executed gif can be good for a lot of thanks too .

Actually, the art of a well placed gif is almost a science.

I take my previous statement back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement