Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Suarez,Assaidi & Borini cost £35m to buy and looks like we're selling them for £95m.

Good business in anyone's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Rumblings about Di Maria...

Against my better judgement my hopes are very slightly up

What an exciting signing that would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

di maria would be a serious piece of business, god damn you twitter for your glorious false hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

0028673 wrote: »
    Fernando says hi :)

So do Rush, Fowler and Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Just heard the Borini news there.

Must say I'm a bit disappointed to see him go. He looked out the door last season and took his chance on loan and I felt he should have been given this season at least to prove his worth to us as he seems desperate to make it here.

I still believe he's a very talented player and his work rate only adds to that. He seemed to be happy to be a squad player as well and I believe his fresh legs would cause problems in the latter stages of games and he would also be an ideal player to start games when fatigue kicks in around December and January.

If things had gone different for him he could have went the same way as Henderson. Only for injury and being played out of position.

If he goes I wish him all the best and hope he proves most people wrong by leading the line for Sunderland.

All the best fabio :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

hefferboi wrote: »

Must say I'm a bit disappointed to see him go. He looked out the door last season and took his chance on loan and I felt he should have been given this season at least to prove his worth to us as he seems desperate to make it here.

I still believe he's a very talented player and his work rate only adds to that. He seemed to be happy to be a squad player as well and I believe his fresh legs would cause problems in the latter stages of games and he would also be an ideal player to start games when fatigue kicks in around December and January.

If things had gone different for him he could have went the same way as Henderson. Only for injury and being played out of position.

If he goes I wish him all the best and hope he proves most people wrong by leading the line for Sunderland.

All things considered, making a profit of about 3 million on a player who didn't look like adding anything special to the team is great business. I'm happy that we seem to be becoming a club that no longer undervalues its players. 21 million for Borini and Assaidi? That is superb business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

14 million for borini is a fantastic deal no club in the world would pay that for him but sunderland(maybe fat sam) as he is so popular with their fans
    Would much rather bony than remy
    Transfer window has been great so far but still believe we need a marque signing

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Considering we've lost Suarez it can hardly be considered as a great transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So do Rush, Fowler and Owen.

Mickey Owen actually did well when he left and had a very good scoring record at Madrid given he was coming on from the bench a lot of the time. He even had a decent record with Newcastle taking injuries into account.

Then of course he did the unspeakable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    Considering we've lost Suarez it can hardly be considered as a great transfer window.

Any window when you lose a star player is a lame window.

We just have to make sure we make the best of Suarez leaving early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Mickey Owen actually did well when he left and had a very good scoring record at Madrid given he was coming on from the bench a lot of the time. He even had a decent record with Newcastle taking injuries into account.

Then of course he did the unspeakable.

Bench, injuries and Stoke. The boy done good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Definitely will top the Lowest Net Spend table anyway, which is where the true glory is.

We will do the double with topping that and winning the best hair cup*.

*formally known as the best moustache cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

hefferboi wrote: »

Was his loan move o Sunderland not partly influenced by his insistence on not being a squad player and his desire to play games?
    I'm sad to see him go as I really think he could have probed to be very useful for us over the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The way reactions are going you would think that making a profit on a player is the new measure of success.
    I'd rather trophies myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The way reactions are going you would think that making a profit on a player is the new measure of success.

No trophies in July.

mosstin wrote: »
    All things considered, making a profit of about 3 million on a player who didn't look like adding anything special to the team is great business. I'm happy that we seem to be becoming a club that no longer undervalues its players. 21 million for Borini and Assaidi? That is superb business.

Don't get me wrong, fantastic piece of business. I was just fond of him.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Was his loan move o Sunderland not partly influenced by his insistence on not being a squad player and his desire to play games?
    I'm sad to see him go as I really think he could have probed to be very useful for us over the next season.

I think he wanted to go on loan to prove he could cut it in the pl playing regularly. I think he's been fairly vocal about his desire to give it a go at liverpool this season and see if he can become a regular.

He could still refuse to agree personal terms and stay for the season. Similar to Henderson going to Fulham I think, if reports around the time are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Remy comes in, you'd have to imagine that's our business in the attacking half of the pitch done.

AM - Coutinho, Lallana, Henderson, Teixeira
    Wingers - Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, Ibe, Suso
    Strikes - Sturridge, Lambert, Remy

That's 11 players for 4 positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

ush wrote: »
    No trophies in July.

Ye had none in May either :pac:

Sorry I will close the door on my way out... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Quick question, is there any substantial evidence pool are after Remy other than twitter talk?

8 million is a no brainer really for a man that can do a decent job

Even with the high wages say 90k over 4 years plus the transfer cost works out at under 27 million.

It's the equivalent of spending 14 million on a player and paying him 60k a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Quick question, is there any substantial evidence pool are after Remy other than twitter talk?

livinginkorea has been giving him English lessons.

5starpool wrote: »

Considering we lost our best player and haven't addressed our main issues at the back it's a average to poor window so far imo.

If Remy comes in, you'd have to imagine that's our business in the attacking half of the pitch done.

I'd like to think we will add a top striker . Having only 3 with the extra games would be very risky. Sturridge tends to be miss games too.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Considering we lost our best player and haven't addressed our main issues at the back it's a average to poor window so far imo.

Problems at the back are due to tactics not personnel. As I said before, you could have peak Maldini and Cannavaro back there and we'd still leak goals.

There's no protection at all so I see a DM as a priority before another CB.

Problems at the back are due to tactics not personnel. As I said before, you could have peak Maldini and Cannavaro back there and we'd still leak goals.

Glen Johnson says hello. The man was a disgrace last season

Glen Johnson says hello. The man was a disgrace last season

RB is a problem, I can accept that. But in terms of cb I reckon we're fine, dm is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Another quality forward on top of remy and ill be ok with our attacking needs, i would then like to turn our attention solely to defence firstly and then midfield. Moreno seems to be back on and i would throw a large amount of cash at a midfielder too ala khedira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

RB is a problem, I can accept that. But in terms of cb I reckon we're fine, dm is more important.

But by bringing in a defensive midfielder, do you have to sacrifice either gerrard or Henderson from the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I reckon Suso will be on his way. A loan deal for teixeira and possibly Ibe though I could see the latter staying around.

Considering attacking midfielders, Henderson will more than likely play slightly further back. lallana is more likely to play there than Henderson.

The starting 11 is still pretty weak all things considered especially compared to last season.

• Advertisement

But by bringing in a defensive midfielder, do you have to sacrifice either gerrard or Henderson from the team?

Stevie G should be eased onto the bench anyway starting from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Been saying that for a while and said similar last week.

And it would not have to be an out and out DM to take the deep playing midfield slot.

It could be a player with a similar skillset to the likes of Strootman. The type who can playmake from a deeper role, who can organise, but who also has a good defensive side to their game.

Another option would be the guy that I suggested a ciuple of seasons back before he made the move to Cardiff, Gary Medel. Very different player to Strootman, but could play in the deeper role and is not exactly a poor distributer of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What are peoples thoughts on Daniel Agger becoming a defensive midfielder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Moreno for LB
    Richards for competition at RB
    A top top DM
    Remy for CF

I'd be happy enough with that tbh, see how we get on til January.

Obviously a marquee signing like DiMaria would be more than welcome. I think a signing like that gives everyone a boost, the club, the supporters, and it also adds a fear factor when opposition sees the team sheet. We don't have that now Suarez is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd like to think we will add a top striker . Having only 3 with the extra games would be very risky. Sturridge tends to be miss games too.

I think 3 strikers is enough as I feel without suarez we will very rarely play 2 up top. A few years ago all the big teams would have 4 strikers as they would be playing 2 up top I don't think there is a need for 4 now as atleast 1 of the strikers will hardly ever play . Most teams playing a 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

dogbert27 wrote: »

Was gonna throw up that exact question yesterday but then thought nah I'm not really in the mood for receiving a pile of abuse.

• Advertisement

That is something that has been mentioned a number of times over the years, and I could see it being an awful move.

As good a player as Daniel Agger is, he is not mobile enough for midfield, and I think he would get brutally exposed in a DM role.

Quality midfielders often get moved back into deeper positions as their legs start to go as their reading of the game can often compensate for declining mobility, but you will not find too many examples of 29 yo (30 later this year) centre backs being moved into a more advanced postion on a full time basis.

I can see the logic behind thinking about Agger playing in a DM role, but my own opinion is that it would end badly for him and more importantly for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Kess73 wrote: »
    Been saying that for a while and said similar last week.

And it would not have to be an out and out DM to take the deep playing midfield slot.

It could be a player with a similar skillset to the likes of Strootman. The type who can playmake from a deeper role, who can organise, but who also has a good defensive side to their game.

Another option would be the guy that I suggested a ciuple of seasons back before he made the move to Cardiff, Gary Medel. Very different player to Strootman, but could play in the deeper role and is not exactly a poor distributer of the ball
    That is the need in the team atm, rather than an out and out DM. We have nobody in the squad to replace Gerrard or even come close to approximating his skill-set.

Throwing a DM like Mascherano would totally wipe out our attacking threat as he would have to pass to a creative player to set up an attack and those 2 or 3 seconds are vital to our attacking play.

I think the 3 midfielders will be a first choice of Lallana, Gerrard and Henderson with Lallana adding to Hendersons harrying of the opposition which will relieve a lot of the defensive pressure on Gerrard and the CBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The long term replacement of Gerrard would be an ideal signing.
    Buying this player would allow him to be eased into Gerrards role rather than parachuted in when Gerrard is as good as retired.

Was also thinking re the £90-100m available to spend.
    Will Rodgers risk holding on to a lot of it for now. Hope they can get back into CL again next season which might make Anfield a more attractive destination. Right now they could be viewed as one season wonders and still a risky destination.

Risky strategy but one I wouldn't be overly syrprised to see Rodgers use to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The long term replacement of Gerrard would be an ideal signing.
    Buying this player would allow him to be eased into Gerrards role rather than parachuted in when Gerrard is as good as retired.

Was also thinking re the £90-100m available to spend.
    Will Rodgers risk holding on to a lot of it for now. Hope they can get back into CL again next season which might make Anfield a more attractive destination. Right now they could be viewed as one season wonders and still a risky destination.

Risky strategy but one I wouldn't be overly syrprised to see Rodgers use to some extent.

He really should blow a wad of it on top players this season with the aim of us getting as far as we can in the champions league this season and securing champions league football again next season. That should be the main aim this summer.
    Then I imagine the top top players will be easier to sign

5live wrote: »
    That is the need in the team atm, rather than an out and out DM. We have nobody in the squad to replace Gerrard or even come close to approximating his skill-set.

Throwing a DM like Mascherano would totally wipe out our attacking threat as he would have to pass to a creative player to set up an attack and those 2 or 3 seconds are vital to our attacking play.

I think the 3 midfielders will be a first choice of Lallana, Gerrard and Henderson with Lallana adding to Hendersons harrying of the opposition which will relieve a lot of the defensive pressure on Gerrard and the CBs.

That is why I think it would have to be a player with a skillset similar to that of Strootman. Basically a guy who is an excellent passer over short and long distances, who can release a ball quickly but who can also set a tempo, but that also has the defensive nous to organise/intercept when his team is on the back foot.

Do agree that Gerrard in the deeper role with Henderson and Lallana ahead of him looks the most obvious starting trio for midfield. Though in the last few days I have started to wonder about Lallana being pushed into a more advanced attacking role if a top notch midfielder was brought in.

Must say that I am really looking forward to watching Lallana play for Liverpool this season. Think he is a smashing player and that any folk doubting him are in for a very pleasant surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I wrote about not liking Agger as a DM, a few times, and ultimately, the thought of him getting the ball while facing his own goals, with the opposition harrying him, terrifies me.

Not mobile enough at all. Nor does he have the legs for it. Would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really excited by remy coming in, with the way we setup I think he will score 20 league goals easy I have been really impressed with his contributions to poor sides the last 2 seasons.

He's a rodgers player too, a very versatile attacker who can play left, right or centre. Him and Sturridge upfront could be a serious handful for any defence. While we loose the trickery of Suarez we will gain a very direct forward and a good finisher to boot.

rob316 wrote: »
    Really excited by remy coming in, with the way we setup I think he will score 20 league goals easy I have been really impressed with his contributions to poor sides the last 2 seasons.

He's a rodgers player too, a very versatile attacker who can play left, right or centre. Him and Sturridge upfront could be a serious handful for any defence. While we loose the trickery of Suarez we will gain a very direct forward and a good finisher to boot.

If we get Remy, I don't think he will come close to getting 20 league goals.

But if the likes of Lallana, Lambert, Lazer, and any other new attackers can get 20 to 25 league goals between them, and our defence can conceded between 10 to 25 less goals, then we should be able to genuinely compete for a top 4 place again this season, and maybe even add a little bit of silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Don't be stupid! Everyone knows sponsorship deals are better than trophies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »

Yep would be a serious bargain, He's quick and a very cool finisher, Even if hes only a squad player he can come on and get goals which we really didn't have last year.

The time for trying out Agger in midfield was earlier in his career. To try it now with him turning 30 would probably be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

According to Sky - never fully reliable - we've agreed an 8.5 million fee for Remy.

Can't be having that, why would you be talking about easing him onto the bench when he's our best midfielder? Until someone steps up and actually displaces Gerrard based on form, then Gerrard is a first name on the team sheet for me.

If Remy does come in, then there has been some very serious upgrading of the back up brigade this window.

Remy > Borini

Lambert > Aspas

Can > Lucas (granted Lucas is not gone, but think Can csan offer more than Lucas is able to anymore save for experience)

Markovic > Moses

Of course it is open for debate as to whether Markovic will start the season as a back up or a first teamer.

And when the first team is looked at then Lallana is an upgrade on Allen, and quite possibly on Coutinho at this stage of Coutinho's career.

Throw in a few more upgrades for the starting XI, and it could potentially turn into one of the best transfer windows that we have had in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Id say markovic might take a while to settle in. Doubt he has a word of english and nobody speaks serbian.? at the club like unlike if a south american comes in theres a already a group of them here already etc..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement