Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Can't be having that, why would you be talking about easing him onto the bench when he's our best midfielder? Until someone steps up and actually displaces Gerrard based on form, then Gerrard is a first name on the team sheet for me.

Which is why the only way to replace him at present would be to bring in a high quality midielder to directly compete with him for his position.

We don't have that player in the squad atm, and would sooner have that sort of player brought in now when Gerrard is still around to share the role/compete for the role rather than waiting for Gerrard to retire and then try to bring a player in to fill the role.

Given we will be competing on four fronts this season, we would have the game time to allow Gerrard and another player to compete for that deeper role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

joe123 wrote: »
    The starting 11 is still pretty weak all things considered especially compared to last season.
    Yep, Suarez is irreplaceable, don't care what anyone says. The only thing is that like Kess has just pointed out, our bench is much, much better. Also, you never know, the likes of Sterling, Countinho or Markovic might yet step up to the next level. If so, then we might end up being stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

mosstin wrote: »
    According to Sky - never fully reliable - we've agreed an 8.5 million fee for Remy.

Sturrigde , Lambert and Remy is a good strike force to have . As good as Suarez was LFC have three proper options upfront now .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kess73 wrote: »
    Which is why the only way to replace him at present would be to bring in a high quality midielder to directly compete with him for his position.

We don't have that player in the squad atm, and would sooner have that sort of player brought in now when Gerrard is still around to share the role/compete for the role rather than waiting for Gerrard to retire and then try to bring a player in to fill the role.

Given we will be competing on four fronts this season, we would have the game time to allow Gerrard and another player to compete for that deeper role.

between gerrard, can, allen, henderson we have enough players for that role. 2 upgrades at full back is the most immediate purchase for now.

klose wrote: »
    Id say markovic might take a while to settle in. Doubt he has a word of english and nobody speaks serbian.? at the club like unlike if a south american comes in theres a already a group of them here already etc..

He has some english going by his interviews, and was able to give TV interviews in Portuguese when at Benfica.

Plus if we sign Lovern he will have someone else to chat to as Croatian and Serbian speakers can understand each other due to their languages being linguistically compatible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does it not concern you that we seem to be focusing on upgrading our squad players rather than our first teamers? Especially considering we have just lost our best player and Gerrard is one year older.

between gerrard, can, allen, henderson we have enough players for that role. 2 upgrades at full back is the most immediate purchase for now.

Would disagree.

Yes we have players that could be a body in the position, but we do not have any players that would, imo, excel in that role for a sustained period of time if Gerrard were to be injured, or any players that currently could compete for the role enough to displace Gerrard.

In terms of first team quality, we basically have one player for the deep lying midfield role. Everyone else is either back up, or future potential.

I do agree that we need to get in some first team quality along the back line, and my thinking would be that we need a CB and FB this window and then another full back next summer.

Tusky wrote: »
    Does it not concern you that we seem to be focusing on upgrading our squad players rather than our first teamers? Especially considering we have just lost our best player and Gerrard is one year older.

The bench and squad need some serious injection of talent . At the end of the day it was the lack of options that lost Liverpool the league . Your only as strong as your worst player .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Your only as strong as your worst player .

Well that's clearly not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

we're gunna win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Your only as strong as your worst player .
    If that was true I think Moses or Aspas would have gotten us relegated :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Happy with Remy, I think we got away with murder with 8.5 Million for a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flanzer wrote: »
    One look at his physique and we should have ran a mile

Ha! My first thought was 'he doesn't look like a professional athlete'

Would disagree.

Yes we have players that could be a body in the position, but we do not have any players that would, imo, excel in that role for a sustained period of time if Gerrard were to be injured, or any players that currently could compete for the role enough to displace Gerrard.

In terms of first team quality, we basically have one player for the deep lying midfield role. Everyone else is either back up, or future potential.

I do agree that we need to get in some first team quality along the back line, and my thinking would be that we need a CB and FB this window and then another full back next summer.

In an ideal world ye we would get a player to compete with gerrard but I just feel its a fair bit down the proirities for now. I seem to be in the minority in that Ive no problem with gerrard in the DM role whereas a fair few on here dont think Gerrard should be in the team. Obviously we will need to manage him as he shouldnt start every single PL game and shouldnt feature in either domestic cup competitions. Despite his advancing years Gerrard would still feature regularly in every other team in the leagues midfield bar Chelsea and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

it'll be mad to have a situation where if our forward gets injured we will have a capable replacement of two to fit in. we've been very light barring our main man up front for too long. used to dread ngog coming in for torres.

• Advertisement

Not yet it doesn't.

We have about six weeks or so left in the transfer window, and we have seen signs that we are looking to improve both the squad and first team.

Losing Suarez is a blow, but he was never going to be replaced by one player. If we can concede less goals this season, and bring in a number of players who can share some goals between them, then we can absorb the loss of the goals Suarez would get.

If we can make the team unit stronger as a group, then we may be able to counter the loss of the genius Suarez could provide.

A lot of us on here are old enough to remember how many times we lost a player that was supposedly too good for the team to recover from his loss.

The list of world class players that we have lost over the years to injuries, retirement, or through being sold on is a long one. I can remember being worried many times in my younger days when a legend or world class player stepped down or moved on. Funny thing is that there is always a new player waiting to fill the void. That player may not play like the player that left, but in his own way becomes just as important to the team and supporters.

Suarez is gone, but I have no doubt that we will soon have another hero to pin our hopes on. He might be at the club already, or he may yet arrive this summer. But I'm not concerned in any way with regards to our transfer activity this summer. Maybe it is down to having a glowing ember of hope fanned into a flame of belief by the past 18 months under Rodgers, but I think we are going to finish this window with a very strong team and squad.

I know come the end of the window that there will be players of whom I will say "oh why did we not sign him?" or "not sure why we signed him". But that happens every season. What I am liking is the fact that our signings and targets make sense, and they all point towards a strong team and an attacking style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

He really should blow a wad of it on top players this season with the aim of us getting as far as we can in the champions league this season and securing champions league football again next season. That should be the main aim this summer.
    Then I imagine the top top players will be easier to sign

I think we'd all love that. More quality in this summer means greater chance of solidifying CL.
    My theory is that players, if given the choice of Liverpool or an annual cl side will opt for the latter.
    Maybe Rodgers feels he'll have to overspend too much this summer.
    Chances are, the wad at his disposal now is greater than anything he'll see for a while. Whenever he spends the Suarez money the signings have to stick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Chelsea now reportedly in for Varane while we fúck about with Lovren.

fingers out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

SlickRic wrote: »

fingers out please.

While we reportedly fúck about with Lovren.

Suarez - £75m.
    Borini - £14m.
    Assaidi - £8m.

= £97m without even taking into account our transfer budget, Champions League income or new tv money.

I can see us turning a profit this transfer window. I don't know why we aren't being more ambitious with our targets. We almost won the league, are in the Champions League next year and have bags of cash.

Spot on. Lots of work required before August. There are few excuses imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Am i the only one not really impressed with Remy?

Fee and wages aside he's not that big of an upgrade on Borini and not as versatile a player i would be hoping we'd bring in. We have 3 players in Lambert, Sturridge and possibly Remy who are best through the middle and not nearly effective in different positions.

All i can really take from that is Sturridge will be the main man with Remy/Lambert as backup. I dont think you'll see any of them play much together.

In an ideal world ye we would get a player to compete with gerrard but I just feel its a fair bit down the proirities for now. I seem to be in the minority in that Ive no problem with gerrard in the DM role whereas a fair few on here dont think Gerrard should be in the team. Obviously we will need to manage him as he shouldnt start every single PL game and shouldnt feature in either domestic cup competitions. Despite his advancing years Gerrard would still feature regularly in every other team in the leagues midfield bar Chelsea and City.

If it came down to a choice between bringing in a world class player to play in Gerrard's role or getting in a top class CB and FB. Then the latter choices would win every time for me.

But I think that with the Suarez money and any other money raised from sales this summer, we are in a rare position for LFC. One that could allow us to strengthen the obvious needs first, and then possibly have the luxury of being able to being able to bring in a quality midfielder that could be blooded in alongside Gerrard in the squad rather than waiting for Gerrard to go before bringing in that kind of quality.

Lets just say that we go out in the next two or three weeks and bring in that quality CB and FB.

And then we found ourselves with a genuine chance of being able to get a Pogba, a Strootman, a Vidal. None of whom are players that are copies of Gerrard in terms of playing style, but who would have the ability to potential become mainstays in their own way.

I sure as hell would like to see how we could fit such a midfielder into our team while Gerrard is still around because those kind of midfielders could just as easily play in the same team as Gerrard as they could in a team without Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

NukaCola wrote: »

Fee and wages aside he's not that big of an upgrade on Borini and not as versatile a player i would be hoping we'd bring in. We have 3 players in Lambert, Sturridge and possibly Remy who are best through the middle and not nearly effective in different positions.

All i can really take from that is Sturridge will be the main man with Remy/Lambert as backup. I dont think you'll see any of them play much together.
    He's a much better player than Borini. Better finisher,pace & has good link up play. He also played on the Right wing for Marseille during the 10/11 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Borini scored 17 League goals in the last three seasons, Remy scored 32.

So in short, yes Remy is an upgrade on Borini.

One thing about Remy, I don't think he'll be too happy if he has to sit on the bench on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lambert has taken the number 9 apparently

SlickRic wrote: »

fingers out please.

Easy to say fingers out, but we could be making enquiries about such players and getting told the players have no interest.

Now I would love a player like Varane, or Hummels, and would prefer that level of quality over the likes of Lovern, but as with what happened with Sanchez, if a player has no interest at all in coming to Liverpool then not much the cluib can do to force that interest.

Remy is okay. I wouldn't go much further than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Kevin strootman or witsel would be a dream signing for midfield. Obviously strootman is injured and witsels wages would be a problem, but either would see a massive improvement on our defensive side.

I still don't trust skrtel at all. He's too prone to error to be starting every game and I think we badly need an upgrade.

How Johnson is still at the club is beyond me. Disgraceful performances last year and he was basically carried by 10 other players almost every week. If we'd won the league, it would have been on par with, if not more amazing, than winning the champions league with djimi traore. I'd actually rate Paul konchesky as a better full back than Johnson at this stage.

Really need 2 upgrades there.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He's a much better player than Borini. Better finisher,pace & has good link up play. He also played on the Right wing for Marseille during the 10/11 season.

Thats three years ago. Good option to have but definitely more of a squad player rather than first team material.

he played off the right for QPR the odd time aswell

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Borini scored 17 League goals in the last three seasons, Remy scored 32.

So in short, yes Remy is an upgrade on Borini.

One thing about Remy, I don't think he'll be too happy if he has to sit on the bench on a regular basis.

Goals don't tell the full picture. I agree he's an upgrade just not as big as many are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thats three years ago. Good option to have but definitely more of a squad player rather than first team material.
    I can see Remy making the first 11. I still think we will use the diamond formation for certain games or Remy & Sturridge can rotate position in a 4-3-3. We need goals to replace Suarez & Remy is a very good finisher.

he played off the right for QPR the odd time aswell

He's better through the middle as i said though.....why play him out wide just to fit him in where Sterling is a far better option.

Goals don't tell the full picture. I agree he's an upgrade just not as big as many are making out.

Goals for a forward are vital.

Many made the same argument when Downing was at the club. 'He provides great cover for the full back'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Can't be having that, why would you be talking about easing him onto the bench when he's our best midfielder? Until someone steps up and actually displaces Gerrard based on form, then Gerrard is a first name on the team sheet for me.

He's our best midfielder but what age is the chap? 32? You can't be asking a 32 year old to be a regular starter with the amount of games we're facing.

That's why we need another midfielder as well as, as you pointed out, for the likes of Hendo, Allen and Can to step up. Stevie G is at a stage where he can be still be used as an asset, but we need to be smart about how we deploy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Remy had a run on the left wing last season too, with Ben Arfa through the middle.

I can see Remy making the first 11. I still think we will use the diamond formation for certain games or Remy & Sturridge can rotate position in a 4-3-3. We need goals to replace Suarez & Remy is a very good finisher.

Cant see both of them playing together a whole lot. Wouldn't be too happy with the transfer if he is seen as a starter being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone want to throw up a best line up? So many options I can't think of a guaranteed starter besides Sturridge

I'll guess

Mig
    Johnson
    Agger
    Sakho
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lalana
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Sterling

Depending on form that Porto guy will play instead of remy or cout

He's better through the middle as i said though.....why play him out wide just to fit him in where Sterling is a far better option.

TBH I wouldnt start him but would be happy to see him centrally if sturridge was injured.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Goals for a forward are vital.

Many made the same argument when Downing was at the club. 'He provides great cover for the full back'.

The last 3 years.

He scored 20 goals in France 3 years ago.
    The last 2 years he scored 22 goals.

I get what your saying but he's not exactly banging them in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Friendly v Preston on at 3pm today, on BT Sports, Lambert and Can starting apparently .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Friendly v Preston on at 3pm today, on BT Sports, Lambert and Can starting apparently .

I'm banned from making match threads :P

klose wrote: »
    Lambert has taken the number 9 apparently

If he does that's a name going on the back of a jersey for sure !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The last 3 years.

He scored 20 goals in France 3 years ago.
    The last 2 years he scored 22 goals.

I get what your saying but he's not exactly banging them in either.
    Playing for poor teams with the creativity at lfc I can see him getting 20 goals

I'm banned from match threads :P

Banned from MAKING them ;)

• Advertisement

Confirmed #LFC team v Preston: B Jones, Kelly, Flanagan, Skrtel, Wisdom, Lucas, Allen, Can, Coutinho, Lambert, Borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's our best midfielder but what age is the chap? 32? You can't be asking a 32 year old to be a regular starter with the amount of games we're facing.

That's why we need another midfielder as well as, as you pointed out, for the likes of Hendo, Allen and Can to step up. Stevie G is at a stage where he can be still be used as an asset, but we need to be smart about how we deploy him.

Stevie is 34.

10393799_10152695642047573_8575816961028201022_n.jpg?oh=b67d795cc38e8cf62dc0d00d9e592947&oe=543D8C0F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ricero wrote: »
    Playing for poor teams with the creativity at lfc I can see him getting 20 goals

I think Remy could get 20 if you knew he was going to play every game. He'll probably start on the bench for a good chunk of games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Eh.....why is borini starting? If he picks up a bad injury the deal will be off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement