Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think its true he wants to stay. He put in alot of effort today & look disapointed coming off too. He has a great attitude & I wouldn't mind him staying at all.

Why was he risked today I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Because he wants to stay id say. Rodgers seemed coy about the Sunderland move too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'd imagine Sunderland want him to get game time!

I'd imagine Sunderland want him to get game time!

Slightly risky no? Despite being a friendly you never know what could happen. Awkward fall, bad tackle etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Mickalus wrote: »
    Morata away to Juve, £15.8 mil / 20 million euro, Real with a buy back option.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2014/0719/631848-morata-joins-juventus-in-20m-deal/

That's why it can be tough to buy young talent from big clubs because they might want those sort of clauses inserted into contracts .

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Fair play to Borini if he wants to stay and prove himself.

That was the point of his loan move - send him away to get games and impress. He's kept to his end of the bargain.

I'd be delighted if this is the case. I''ll allow myself the odd romantic notion of a player that wants to be here and wants to prove himself.

His demeanour when taken off didn't strike me of a lad that doesn't want to be in this team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Obviously he had a slight ankle injury but what are people opinions on the role that Emre Can will play for Liverpool this year? I've seen people saying that Gerrard will be phased out this year and that a new DM is needed but is this not what Can was bought for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

klose wrote: »
    First half was ok, preston are actually a decent side in fairness to em and had the better chances, coutinho was our best player and ibe came on after 20 for can who came off as a precaution. He also did well, we conceded just before half time from a corner and goal mouth scramble.

Two changes at ht kelly and lambert off, suso and robinson off. Suso again made an impression and bagged a goal, lovely left footed curler into the corner. Made changes pretty much throughout the half and peterson put us ahead after some impressive work from ibe down the left hand side. It was a very young side for the second half but were surprisingly comfortable in possession and dictated play, granted preston changed their xi completely at half time so it was probably a weaker side from them too. Rossiter, for a boy was very impressive it must be said, still a long way to go but we could have a very good centre mid on our hands here.
    Cheers klose,good to hear Ibe played well again.
    With Saurez gone i wonder will Coutinho shine this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I'd be delighted if this is the case. I''ll allow myself the odd romantic notion of a player that wants to be here and wants to prove himself..

Romantic notions I'd be over the moon with 14m and use 8 for remy. I certainly wouldn't be delighted if he stays, that's too good a deal to pass up. Il really hope deal goes through

Borini is one of those players that's needs to play week in and week out to get the best from him. He simply won't get the game time required to do himself justice next season in a Liverpool shirt.. Think it do him to world of good going to Sunderland where he'll b the main man leading the attack. Good move for both parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Lucas didnt play well & I wouldn't mind seeing him let go. But the abuse he is getting lately is disgraceful. Its as if some fans didn't learn from when Lucas recieved alot of abuse when he irst arrived.

Maybe they did learn, but they learned the wrong thing. They learned that if they abuse Lucas he will get better! :o

Would love us to sign Yedlin. Very good prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not sure if we want to be signing lots of very good prospects, perhaps 1 or 2 but look at the prospects that we have signed over the last 5-6 years. Where are they? Was henderson a prospect? If he was then perhaps he could be classed as a success but looking at the rest, is a big gamble..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any "prospect" means the prospects for the club are better than starting the season with Glen Johnson at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Big difference between playing out of your skin in the biggest games of your life at the world cup and doing the business week in week out.

tok9 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Suso get more gametime this year. Hopefully he can take his chance.

So is he a full squad member then, or still a chance he will be loaned back out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Big difference between playing out of your skin in the biggest games of your life at the world cup and doing the business week in week out.

Exactly people see these player doing well in tge World Cup and covet them
    Can the perform week in week out
    Brian luiz perfect example looked good in Brazil but was poor with Fulham

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

120 minutes of action at the world cup its like judging somebody based on 1 game.

Remy deal is seriously good business at $8m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Remy deal is seriously good business at $8m.

Is he leaning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thought it was £8.5m? Only about twice as much. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly people see these player doing well in tge World Cup and covet them
    Can the perform week in week out
    Brian luiz perfect example looked good in Brazil but was poor with Fulham

Davids brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Davids brother?

tumblr_mas0ozYZSL1qdlf3ro1_r5_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Reportedly being linked with a move for the most boring man in football...

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/07/reports-liverpool-move-james-milner-fabio-borini-makes-sunderland-wait/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd take Milner if we got him for the same price Everton got Barry.

Barry is the Bargin of the transfer window so far I think on free even at 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

garra wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that Wisdom has secured a loan deal with WBA, just hope he gets plenty of premiership game time and develops well. Will be interesting to see if they deploy him at centre half or full back. Hope he does a job on our competitors a la Assaidi and Borini last year :P

Yep, can see a good few loan deals as the window goes on. I was thinking about Suso and Alberto and was wondering are they Rodgers type players now. Alberto was bought before Rodgers changed his more tiki-taka style to fast, counter attacking. Alberto doesn't really suit that for me, Suso neither. I'd like to see more of Suso personally, but I can see Ibe getting more game time if he's not loaned out.
    Obviously he had a slight ankle injury but what are people opinions on the role that Emre Can will play for Liverpool this year? I've seen people saying that Gerrard will be phased out this year and that a new DM is needed but is this not what Can was bought for?

It would seem he might be more a Lucas replacement/competition, hard to know yet. I'm hoping we'll sign one more CM yet, competition/upgrade on Gerrard type player.
    Not sure if we want to be signing lots of very good prospects, perhaps 1 or 2 but look at the prospects that we have signed over the last 5-6 years. Where are they? Was henderson a prospect? If he was then perhaps he could be classed as a success but looking at the rest, is a big gamble..

I suppose Coutinho counts as you are counting Henderson, though Coutinho didn't have a lot of experience either, but probably a higher level than the likes of Alberto, Ilori and Coates. We haven't had many 18/19 year olds that we signed making the grade, or at least becoming squad players.

On the other side I do think our own youth graduates are doing fine, and hopefully more to come.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Barry is the Bargin of the transfer window so far I think on free even at 32.

If we got him for decent money, £15 Million odd, hard to say no.

This speculation stuff is getting annoying. Unless trusted journos say it people should just ignore it as itk nonsense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunday Times:

0d7bb284703448fef87d101de750fe22.png

Presuming the 'over £5m basic' refers to Remy's wage, that would be around £100,000 a week. Hefty. Where will he fit in? As one of the wide strikers I guess with Sturridge as the main striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

a friend put me onto the anfield index podcast. I listen to the AW each week. The AI is hit and miss but the ones with Paul Tomkins are worthwhile. great research one the first one with transfers.

Basically he said 40% of players were transfer neutrals. The arrived for a certain price, played a certain amount of games and left for a certain price. 10% were markable successes and 50% performed below par. This was a rule for Wenger, Ferguson and the bottom of the league. Spending a lot for a player did increase success but only by 10% or so. The top 10 transfers in the PL were 50% successes.

It's interesting because he's gone through every transfer for decades and based it on relative to transfer record at the time, inflation and appearances.

Basically all transfers are a massive risk, 50% will never play enough games relative to their fee, another 40% will just match their fee and 10% of all signings will be Suarez, Hyypia & Dagleish.

Paully D wrote: »
    Sunday Times:

0d7bb284703448fef87d101de750fe22.png

Presuming the 'over £5m basic' refers to Remy's wage, that would be around £100,000 a week. Hefty. Where will he fit in? As one of the wide strikers I guess with Sturridge as the main striker?

Don't know if Castles is that reliable on Lfc stuff. I'd be surprised if he's on that much, would be top 3 or definitely 4 in wages. Gerrard and Johnson are the only 2 about or above that IIRC. I suppose though with the reduced buy out clause he had a better bargaining position than similar players, and the other players we signed are probably 60k a week at most, maybe considerably less.

As regards positions, I'd say interchangeability again. When you look at Sturridge, Lambert, Remy, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana and even Henderson (he often drifts into the front 3/4 giving options) we have a hell of a lot of attacking options, the most I can remember in a long time. I don't think even Rafa had that many options, plus Rodgers is going for mostly adaptable players.

Have to go with Kess on the window so far, I'm genuinely excited with the attacking options we now have and it's hard to argue with the logic of the transfer policy. Obviously I'd prefer a player that is very likely to score 20 PL goals a season but I think Sturridge and Remy can get near that each. I expect Coutinho to improve his strike rate (wouldn't be hard in fairness and Sterlings is very good anyway based on stats posted earlier (surprised as anybody on that).

If Remy goes through we'd still have maybe £60 Million to spend.

The other thing I just thought of is with Borini going, which wasn't expected, they'd more room on wages than they thought.

a friend put me onto the anfield index podcast. I listen to the AW each week. The AI is hit and miss but the ones with Paul Tomkins are worthwhile. great research one the first one with transfers.

Basically he said 40% of players were transfer neutrals. The arrived for a certain price, played a certain amount of games and left for a certain price. 10% were markable successes and 50% performed below par. This was a rule for Wenger, Ferguson and the bottom of the league. Spending a lot for a player did increase success but only by 10% or so. The top 10 transfers in the PL were 50% successes.

It's interesting because he's gone through every transfer for decades and based it on relative to transfer record at the time, inflation and appearances.

Basically all transfers are a massive risk, 50% will never play enough games relative to their fee, another 40% will just match their fee and 10% of all signings will be Suarez, Hyypia & Dagleish.

Yep, his article was linked to in the past, he goes into some detail so it's pretty well researched.

Suarez is the obvious top 10%, I'd say Coutinho and Sturridge based on money paid aren't far off.

Over the last few years Allen (for me), Mignolet (just fine so far, not great or terrible), Toure and Cissokho (fine for loans/frees)

Didn't work out, unfortunately Borini, Assaidi (though for £3 Million it was a punt), Aspas, Alberto (still to see but I'm not convinced he's a fit) and Sahin wasn't a loan success.

Sakho and Ilori too early to tell for me.

So I'd say Rodgers/the Committee have done ok to reasonably well.

Suarez, Henderson and Bellamy for free were successful from Kennys time so as to count FSG, Enrique not bad, Carroll, Adam and Downing poor to not great. Coates was just unlucky and we all know what a legend Doni turned into!

Not that bad, but the money spent on Carroll and Downing taints it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

martyos121 wrote: »

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/07/reports-liverpool-move-james-milner-fabio-borini-makes-sunderland-wait/

I'd also take a punt on Milner, you'd have the work rate of Allen and that bit extra of having an eye for the odd goal. Realistically I just cant see it being a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ibe and sterling potentially the 2 best attacking talents England have produced in a long time and they belong to liverpool, very exciting.

I hope Rodgers keeps ibe and brings him on from the bench in games he is too good a talent to loan out and trust anyone to develop.

Ibe reminds me of Barnes with his speed and power, I just hope he can be even half as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ibe is still very raw, a loan with regular football could be the making of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rob316 wrote: »
    Ibe and sterling potentially the 2 best attacking talents England have produced in a long time and they belong to liverpool, very exciting.

I'd have Barkley and Oxlade-Chamberlain ahead of Ibe tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

barone wrote: »
    ibe is still very raw, a loan with regular football could be the making of him

who was the last young liverpool player to spend periods on loan and later go on to have a great liverpool career?

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd have Barkley and Oxlade-Chamberlain ahead of Ibe tbh

That's why I said potentially, if they realise there potential. Barkley and chamberlain are almost 21, sterling and ibe are 19 and 18 respectively those couple of years make a huge difference so they would be the better players at this moment.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    who was the last young liverpool player to spend periods on loan and later go on to have a great liverpool career?

Exactly sterling didn't go out on loan. Jamie or Stevie never did either. Done them no harm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Seen an article there that says salah has to go and do his military service so could be 3 years out of the game. Looks like we dodged a bullet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Seen an article there that says salah has to go and do his military service so could be 3 years out of the game. Looks like we dodged a bullet

Would be really stupid if Egypt went through with it. He's an ambassador for the country by playing for a team like Chelsea, far more valuable there than as another body in the army. Hopefully they strike a deal and get it sorted so he can play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ibe went to Birmingham last season and did nothing. I would be keeping him with us this season. We are crying out for a player who we can bring on from the bench to change a game.

Ibe went to Birmingham last season and did nothing. I would be keeping him with us this season. We are crying out for a player who we can bring on from the bench to change a game.

Put it this way I'd have prefered ibe coming on over victor moses last season he would actually try a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

No in my opinion he's still too raw. A season on loan somewhere would do him the world of good. He needs to learn some composure and better decision making. Serious potential there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

8-10 wrote: »
    Would be really stupid if Egypt went through with it. He's an ambassador for the country by playing for a team like Chelsea, far more valuable there than as another body in the army. Hopefully they strike a deal and get it sorted so he can play

They want him for the army team in the south west cairo division 3

martyos121 wrote: »

Signing Milner after selling Suarez would mean we would have no choice but to sign Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rob316 wrote: »
    Exactly sterling didn't go out on loan. Jamie or Stevie never did either. Done them no harm.
    A loan period only makes sense if the player is going to a club that plays a decent brand of football. Looking at Suso for example, I think the loan period at Almeria has actually damaged him. He definitely isn't retaining possession as well as he did before we sent him out.

If a player is good enough, then if he's given a chance for the senior team, he will take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Fair play to Borini if he wants to stay and prove himself.

That was the point of his loan move - send him away to get games and impress. He's kept to his end of the bargain.

Not so sure abut that. He was put in the shop window last season.

We are playing some fairly top teams in pre season so we will be able to assess ibe much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Salah. Military service. Dodging bullets. Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Dodging Bullets is a great horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pun intended? :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement