Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Skrtel up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Newsflash: we've qualified for the CL for the first time in 4 years whereas other teams are staples. Man U even have more legite claims to top players than we do. So we can only do what we are doing ie taking educated punts on potentially the next big things. That's all the capacity we have, so I'd appreciate if you and the rest like you round here would get ****ing real.

um, chill the fúck out.

I wasn't commenting on our squad at all. in fact, Lovren is a great and needed signing.

I was merely saying that Real's front 5 or 6 is fúcking incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    Kroos, Rodriguez, Bale, Benzema, Ronaldo.

holy mother of fúcking hell.

Modric as well.

It's fairly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Blatter wrote: »
    Modric as well.

It's fairly ridiculous.

DiMaria still there for now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

According to Twitter Liverpool due to sign Lovren and Remy by Tuesday!

Moreno supposed to be close too apparently.

Be interesting to see who else gets snapped up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

um, chill the fúck out.

I wasn't commenting on our squad at all. in fact, Lovren is a great and needed signing.

I was merely saying that Real's front 5 or 6 in fúcking incredible.

Fair enough, but I do think you've been one of the cynical and dour types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Kroos, Rodriguez, Bale, Benzema, Ronaldo.

holy mother of fúcking hell.

Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta say hollllllaaaaaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fair enough, but I do think you've been one of the cynical and dour types.

all I've ever said is we need to get the finger out and get signing some quality players, because the clubs around us at the top of the EPL are dining at the top table.

I'm not sure how that makes me cynical and dour, but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

slingerz wrote: »

If true very impressive buisness by the club this window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ricero wrote: »
    If true very impressive buisness by the club this window

Hardly very impressive. This is what we needed outside of Suarez leaving. More is required. Hopefully it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Any rumblings as to what's going on with Borini, Has he definately headed off with the squad, seems a bit odd considering he looked all but gone yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Colemania wrote:
    I assume he meant 20 million EURO

Not bad, reputable source too.

Then it's bloody twitter, but we aren't hanging about here are we. 7 players signed by the end of July a possibility.
    Saw something on *twitter earlier but cant find the link. Basically saying we are in for Di Maria, Reus and Isco. And Rodgers is confident of getting one of them.

* Pinch of salt

Faints.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

gafferino wrote: »
    Hardly very impressive. This is what we needed outside of Suarez leaving. More is required. Hopefully it happens.

True but to get all these in before augest even is very pleasing

ricero wrote: »
    True but to get all these in before augest even is very pleasing

Would like to see another wide attacking player brought in as well as defensive reinforcements

There is talks of Vorm or Darlow for GK as well as Johnson heading to QPR

Bakkali of PSV supposedly in negiotating as well. Talks of Origi has gone quiet too, would like to see him come in. Di Maria/Isco/Reus supposedly the marquee signing but I'd nearly prefer a centre mid signing really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

all I've ever said is we need to get the finger out and get signing some quality players, because the clubs around us at the top of the EPL are dining at the top table.

I'm not sure how that makes me cynical and dour, but whatever.

Players that aren't in our bracket because as I said, we're not CL staples like Arsenal, Chelsea and even Man U. You're (and you're not the only one) expecting too much too soon. We're doing the only thing we can; going after players potentially on the cusp of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Would like to see another wide attacking player brought in as well as defensive reinforcements

There is talks of Vorm or Darlow for GK as well as Johnson heading to QPR

Bakkali of PSV supposedly in negiotating as well. Talks of Origi has gone quiet too, would like to see him come in. Di Maria/Isco/Reus supposedly the marquee signing but I'd nearly prefer a centre mid signing really

Vorm and Davies gone to spurs apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Always thought that £20m seemed a bit excessive for Lovren. £16m seems like a fairer price.

Him and Remy seem good business. You could say the squad is pretty much done and dusted at that point, there'd be a huge amount of strength in depth.

Moreno possibly being back on is good news too as we need further strength cover here.

The goal after getting these three (if we do end up getting them) would be to try and attract a real quality 'marquee' player like Di Maria to the club if possible. If not possible then I guess we wait until January and see what's available, but at this point I don't see the point in signing more players that don't offer an obvious improvement on what we have.

Still, at the moment the squad could be shaping up as follows:

Mignolet Reina

JohnoFlan--LovrenSkrt--SahkoAgger--MorenoEnriq

GerrardCan

HendersonAllen
    CoutinhoLallana

SterlingIbe
    SturridgeLambert
    MarkovicRemy

The likes of Toure, Kelly, Lucas and some of the youngsters to provide further cover.

Quite a lot of options and strength in depth. Maybe Lallana or Coutinho more likely to start in one of the wide roles at first instead of Markovic. The ideal would be to sign Di Maria or another high quality attacker and loan out Ibe.

We should have a bench with plenty of options and should be able to deal with most injury worries.

That bit more genuine class in the front 3 would have me more confident though, Markovic still looks very raw and we don't know how he'll adapt. Remy and Lambert know the league and should play their roles well, but again it's hard to know with a new club. Hopefully something materialises from the Isco or Di Maria rumours. While the latter is a longshot, I see no reason why Isco wouldn't be gettable, especially on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Right back still looks a weak area. At this stage I have lost hope in Johnson regaining the form of a few years ago, and for all of Flanagan's heart and desire to fight for the club, I would hope he is only viewed as a back-up full back.
    We could still do with another midfielder, as was mentioned before Strootman, Witsel or Vidal would be dream signings but Sissoko or Gonalons would be very good players that Liverpool could get that would easily slot into the team.

Yep, you can see a bit of depth to the squad especially compared to last year when we only really had numbers at the back. There's lots of versatility in that front 4 or 5 and the back up, and still plenty to spend.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

um, chill the fúck out.

I was merely saying that Real's front 5 or 6 is fúcking incredible.

it is incredible, but Barca's is even better imo. Neymar, Messi, Suarez, Iniesta, pedro.
    gafferino wrote: »
    Suarez, Neymar, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta say hollllllaaaaaaa

Xavi is going in search of oil money tho isnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Lovren is a good signing, and the fact he's coming from Southampton should be of little concern (in the context of Lambert & Lallana) as a good few people would have taken a punt on him from his Lyon days. We know he can adapt to the PL from the season gone, and will be used to the type of system that Liverpool will probably adopt for the 14/15 season.

The thoughts of himself and Sakho pairing up are good, but it will mean zip if either the system isn't calibrated correctly, or the personnel manning aren't changed.
    I wonder how much of the defensive frailties of last season were down to the constant changing of the backline, and how much down to the lack of protection in front, and/or to the side of it? If there was a back 4 at ease with itself, in equilibrium <so to speak> then maybe the system would be better. Maybe if LFC signed the two full-backs that it requires, then there would be a natural improvement on the defensive front.
    The worry is that this is what the coaching ticket believe, and that this is identified as the kernel of the season ahead. The problem will lie when/if those signings are made, and after a settling in period, the old problems resurface, the imbalance between defence and attack, and essentially a soft underbelly, without this problem having being addressed adequately at all. That is my worry, because realistically I think that Gerrard's position is not being aimed at being upgraded upon, which I believe will be a serious problem.

Liverpool don't need two amazing full backs, but two that are competent and efficient. Two 2014 versions of Steve Finnan's for what it's worth would do just nicely.
    I just don't believe in Flanagan long-term. I think that he had an amazing 6 months to finish last season, and I congratulate him and the coaching staff for it, but for me, his place of birth and the absolute dearth of options around him helped his cause a whole lot more. As a backup, he's shown his worth, but for me he should be that and no more.

The argument that Liverpool don't need to replace Suarez' 30 goals but need to replace his qualities - work-rate, technique, etc - and tighten up at the back is a viable theory. However as I've mentioned above, if the tightening up doesn't happen, and at this juncture I'm not sure it's going to be, then Liverpool are going to have a huge problem on their hands this season.

It's a very, very, tricky tightrope to walk when making signings or when evaluating your squad when you've lost a huge quality like Liverpool have, but this is (in my opinion) is the last shot for a while in solidifying a CL spot Top 4 needs to be the priority again this season, City, Chelsea and probably Arsenal are going to be there again. Finish behind United, and out of the top 4, and with the money and prospects those clubs have, it will make qualifying for the CL very difficult for years to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Very curious to see how much of the Suarez money will be used especially seing as you could still recoup a lot of money from potential outgoing players.

I reckon The three Southampton players will be good signings. Lovern, Lambert and Lallana (and that is the order id rate them in terms of how good a deal it was) all have different attributes imo that make em good additions and obviously Prem experience is one. Lovern is a really good player in my eyes and would be good in a 2 or 3 man CB selection. Lambert knows where the net is and only cost a few million and gives you really good squad depth especially if you also get Remy. Then there is Lallana who im still not fully sold on (as im not convinced if he will be a starter the whole time like Allen when he signed) and he does the English player tax in his fee but one reason for that is I don't think he will ever look for a move away.

I think if you are to sign a few more players I would worry a little about getting them all to gel too but but again having these lads used to each other and the premiership might help. Still think it would be huge if you could dangle your CL football carrot and get even one already established big name in like a Di Maria etc as unlikely as that might be as there are a few who may be leaving Madrid for example as things stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Can "panda saps" stop being a thing from the start of the new season? Its fckin brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Can "panda saps" stop being a thing from the start of the new season? Its fckin brutal.

529526782_internet_memes_soon_panda_xlarge.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I think that's the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

€81m for Rodriguez?! Bloody hell...surely this paves the way for an Isco/Di Maria departure now

Barsa got the better deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think that's the idea.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Have the Borini and Assaidi deals been finalised yet?

Kingdom wrote: »
    I wonder how much of the defensive frailties of last season were down to the constant changing of the backline, and how much down to the lack of protection in front, and/or to the side of it? If there was a back 4 at ease with itself, in equilibrium <so to speak> then maybe the system would be better. Maybe if LFC signed the two full-backs that it requires, then there would be a natural improvement on the defensive front.

I'm trying to remember now as the MOAR goals part kind of took away the emphasis from the back 4:

Sakho was out till mid Feb,
    Johnson a bit longer
    Flanagan a regular from Dec/Jan on.
    We had loads of different CB partnerships pre Jan due to injuries.

I suppose what I'm getting at is, I don't think we were defensively as bad when we changed personnel at the back, more goals seemed to leak in when we were more settled. Again playing such attacking football ahd to play a part. I could be wrong on that, that's my general impression.

Very curious to see how much of the Suarez money will be used especially seing as you could still recoup a lot of money from potential outgoing players.

If Reina, Borini, Agger/Skrtel, Lucas and Johnson go, that's maybe £40 Million, add Suarez, over £100 Million. We were supposed to have £60/70 Million on top, I don't know, I find it hard to believe we'd spend that much.

My suspicion is Johnson will stay out of those but that still leave a serious transfer fund.
    I think if you are to sign a few more players I would worry a little about getting them all to gel too but but again having these lads used to each other and the premiership might help. Still think it would be huge if you could dangle your CL football carrot and get even one already established big name in like a Di Maria etc as unlikely as that might be as there are a few who may be leaving Madrid for example as things stand

That's the worry but the squad is so small it has to be added to for CL. Tbh out of those 5/6 players named none were guaranteed starters last season for various reasons, so it isn't as bad as it seems, not a Spurs anyway.

• Advertisement

None of the players signed so far I'd class as certain first teamers. You could make a case for Lallana I suppose.

It's early days but at least 2 first team defenders have to come in as well as a forward.

Have the Borini and Assaidi deals been finalised yet?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rarnes1 wrote: »
    None of the players signed so far I'd class as certain first teamers. You could make a case for Lallana I suppose.

It's early days but at least 2 first team defenders have to come in as well as a forward.
    Lovren I would class as a certain 1st team starter.

MD1990 wrote: »

Lallana is a first team starter also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Glad we are getting Dejan Lovren. He will lead the back line big time.

Also, I think the signing of Lambert is going to be inspired, in terms of squad rotation over the course of a season.
    I saw comments/interview attributed to him last week, whereby he dismissed accusations that he was returning to pre-season early, but actually he was returning to training at the time Ricky Lambert needed to return to training, given that he's learned his body takes a little longer than most to adjust to the traditional pre-season and that this has impacted on his career in the past.

It's obvious the guy is chomping at the bit, and what I think we'll see is a guy who when he gets game-time will make the most of it. He's technically good and will score if given a chance. What impresses me is that even rotating the squad for the league cup or fa cup or dud games of the group stage won't mean having to unnecessarily risk a front-liner.
    Plus you know with Lambert that you'll get the same desire, no-nonsense approach that you'd get from a Suarez or Gerrard, and the career experience he carries means he won't get cowed down on a poxy away trip to CArlisle or the like, that you could expect from a youngster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

K-9 wrote: »

If Reina, Borini, Agger/Skrtel, Lucas and Johnson go, that's maybe £40 Million, add Suarez, over £100 Million. We were supposed to have £60/70 Million on top, I don't know, I find it hard to believe we'd spend that much.

My suspicion is Johnson will stay out of those but that still leave a serious transfer fund.

That's the worry but the squad is so small it has to be added to for CL. Tbh out of those 5/6 players named none were guaranteed starters last season for various reasons, so it isn't as bad as it seems, not a Spurs anyway.

I would think Johnson will stay too but still that sounds like it would still be around 30m brought in from player sales to add to the Suarez money and what you had to spend to begin with.

Honestly I would think that up to and potentially more than 50m of that won't get touched though, well at least not on transfer, it could go straight into redeveloping Anfield which is huge in itself. Now that might sound bad but as said I doubt everyone would want such huge numbers of new players trying to gel anyway.

It's a pity you didnt get Xherdan Shaqiri as he seemed a believable target imo. Perhaps it would be too many Southampton players but schneiderlin could be an option if people think another CM is needed which I guess could be the case if Lucas is gone out the door. Its possible this signing might wait till January or next summer though as personally I think Can will develop into a very good signing for you in CM but he will be there to phase out Gerrard while I guess and Henderson and Allen will fight it out (Henderson starts) for
    the 2nd CM spot.

If Remy is signed I wouldnt expect another out and out CF but I wonder if any of the Milan players could be tempted by CL football and Milans penny pinching atm Stephan El Shaarawy for example would mean that say Sterling wouldn't have to start every single game and could be rested from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What are peoples thoughts on making a bid for Seamus Coleman? I think he would fit in well with Rodger's system seeing how well he played last year under Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

dogbert27 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on making a bid for Seamus Coleman? I think he would fit in well with Rodger's system seeing how well he played last year under Martinez.

I'd love if LFC signed him. He signed a 5 year contract last month so he's going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Our scouting network must have just lived in Southampton last year.

He'd never join us. His life wouldn't be worth living in Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i would like our starting CBs to be lovren and sakho. id have that!

MD1990 wrote: »

He hasn't signed yet. He should be if he signs alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 28s
    Divock Origi has told Liverpool he wants to join them and could also travel to Boston for a medical later this week

Loic Remy is due to fly to Boston tomorrow to undergo a medical ahead of an £8m move to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

What was this place like during the transfer window before twitter? Were we feeding of scraps from the redtops gossip columns or what? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rarnes1 wrote: »

Lallana will be a first team starter without a doubt imho. I know I have said this already but I am really looking forward to seeing him play for us, and think that he is a genuine upgrade to our starting XI.

Personally speaking, I think he'd be perfect in the Liverpool team of last season, and if that's the way Rodgers is going then yes, he'd suit us really well. When the Arsenal rumours surfaced, I was excited for him, because I think he'd really fit in well there as he's a good footballer. I wonder if he's too much of a bye-line merchant for a team like Arsenal though...

I'd never really thought about the money Liverpool could recoup from player sales, but I think it's fair to say that Liverpool potentially have stupid money to throw at the squad, in terms of fees and wages, and if Vorm has indeed gone to Spurs, then I'd love to throw a few quid in the direction of Hugo Lloris. He's been star quality for a long time, and a few dodgy moments settling into a new league with a new language and a basket case of a season at a mental club doesn't change that for me. He'd go a huge way to improving things at the back through organisation and communication - with the greatest of respect to Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What was this place like during the transfer window before twitter? Were we feeding of scraps from the redtops gossip columns or what? :pac:

Mike used to host a weekly session, whereby he'd type out the latest headlines from the teletext.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I think he'd be perfect in the Liverpool team of last season, and if that's the way Rodgers is going then yes, he'd suit us really well. When the Arsenal rumours surfaced, I was excited for him, because I think he'd really fit in well there as he's a good footballer. I wonder if he's too much of a bye-line merchant for a team like Arsenal though...

I'd never really thought about the money Liverpool could recoup from player sales, but I think it's fair to say that Liverpool potentially have stupid money to throw at the squad, in terms of fees and wages, and if Vorm has indeed gone to Spurs, then I'd love to throw a few quid in the direction of Hugo Lloris. He's been star quality for a long time, and a few dodgy moments settling into a new league with a new language and a basket case of a season at a mental club doesn't change that for me. He'd go a huge way to improving things at the back through organisation and communication - with the greatest of respect to Mignolet.

Lloris signed a new contract at Spurs last week and said he was looking forward to working with Pochetino so he won't be going anywhere. Great keeper tho.

Remy, Lovren and Origi deals supposedly set for this week. Good week for Liverpool fans if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pre-internet was brilliant in terms of transfers.

You would come home from school or from being out playing with mates, and there would be something on the radio saying a player had just signed and that would be the first you heard of it.

Some of the bigger transfers back then had very little by way of advance notice. Sure the redtops would carry speculation about players back then, but moves could still be announced seemingly out of the blue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement