Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Do any of Remy or Origi also play WF positions?

any potential Liverpool lineup ive seen has seen you guys line up with only 1 CF and although Sturridge can play that role I think people want to see him centrally which is where he has excelled too and Lambert also only seems a CF to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pre-internet was brilliant in terms of transfers.

You would come home from school or from being out playing with mates, and there would be something on the radio saying a player had just signed and that would be the first you heard of it.

Some of the bigger transfers back then had very little by way of advance notice. Sure the redtops would carry speculation about players back then, but moves could still be announced seemingly out of the blue.

Better times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lambert, Lallana, Can and Markovic already signed Remy, Lovren and Origi maybe in the next week.

Then with player sales to come we could still have a transfer kitty close to £100m.

So far so good at building a first team squad. Now time to use that near £100 to bulk up the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Do any of Remy or Origi also play WF positions?

any potential Liverpool lineup ive seen has seen you guys line up with only 1 CF and although Sturridge can play that role I think people want to see him centrally which is where he has excelled too and Lambert also only seems a CF to me.

Remy has played in the WF role a number of times in his career, and has been quite effective there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Lovern speaking French should help with sakho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Lambert, Lallana, Can and Markovic already signed Remy, Lovren and Origi maybe in the next week.

Then with player sales to come we could still have a transfer kitty close to £100m.

So far so good at building a first team squad. Now time to use that near £100 to bulk up the starting 11.

Buy back Luis Suarez............. (gets coat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like it's going to be a busy week with comings and goings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I was thinking the same thing myself. Should definitely help, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He would help Markovic also as their native languages are mutually intelligible.

This language thing should help Mignolet then as well.

If the CB's in front to him both speaking French the understanding will grow.

But saying that I just reading that Mignolet is fluent in five languages that is impressive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2264744/Simon-Mignolet-interview-On-pressure-injury-degree.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Better times.

I'd imagine they were. Just hearing transfers instead of going on twitter to see:

BREAKING: Daniel Agger has put his house up for sale, fueling spectulation he is about to leave #LFC

Remy has played in the WF role a number of times in his career, and has been quite effective there.

Pardew played him on the left (?) wing last year and played Ben Arfa up front once or twice. Playing the winger as a CF and the natural CF on the wing. No wonder they're so bad.

Lallana will be a first team starter without a doubt imho. I know I have said this already but I am really looking forward to seeing him play for us, and think that he is a genuine upgrade to our starting XI.

Gerrard

Henderson Lallana

Coutinho could be the one to miss out?

I guess it depends on who else signs.

I'm presuming Sturridge and Sterling start btw on current players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Saw pictures of Ayre in the states with the team.

So ....who is doing deals for us now?

Why would Origi fly to Boston for a medical? Surely that would be Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Coutinho for me is undroppable based on end of season form. When we really needed it, he and Sterling stepped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ideally we will be playing 50+ games (cl group qualification & cup runs i hope) so there will be plenty of games so rotation will be needed, cou/lallanna/markovic etc.. might not be nailed on starters every game and thats fine as thats what we need, quality to step in when its needed instead of trying to play the same players game after game and knackering them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard

Henderson Lallana

Coutinho could be the one to miss out?

I guess it depends on who else signs.

I'm presuming Sturridge and Sterling start btw on current players
    I think with the champions league, the cups and the league we are playing everyone is going to get a good run out.

I think coutinho will have a big year this year. Rogers obviously fancies 3/4 players that can put intense pressure on the opposition in their own half and break very quick. It is impossible for player to do this consistently....see southamptons great start and then faded last season so I think it that respect I think you will see rotation of the three behind sturridge
    Example
    Game 1 Lallana, coutinho, sterling
    Game 2 Lallana, Sterling, Lazer
    Games3 Sterling,Coutinho, Laser
    hendo will move in the central positon the odd time. I think you will see 2/3 subs we will make for the majority of the games will be for the three positons behind sturridge/remy
    We will only get 30 games out of sturridge. the rest will be remy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Buy back Luis Suarez............. (gets coat).

Like what happened with Rush.
    We can but dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Nothing to say Sterling won't develop into a goal-scoring forward similar to Bale or Ronaldo

I don't mean on their level (yet) but in the way that they are classed as wingers even though they're essentially forwards. Maybe it won't be as structured up top for Liverpool this season, maybe it will be a free for all with 3 places up for grabs, hence Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Lazar, Remy, (and Isco if there's any truth to it) playing hide and seek with the opposition on a weekly basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gafferino wrote: »
    Saw pictures of Ayre in the states with the team.

So ....who is doing deals for us now?

Why would Origi fly to Boston for a medical? Surely that would be Liverpool.

Unless they specifically want the medical done by Zaf, who I presume is with the team.

Incidentally, I only realised today that we stole Zaf from Spurs - no wonder they've been trying to rob our targets since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Stoic Remy

Loic_Remy_2635694b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Is Lallana better than Coutinho? Time will tell but I still think Coutinho is currently a better player and will be a far better player when he reaches Lallana's age.

Both will possibly be seen as starters with the squad as it is at the moment, with one maybe playing in the midfield 3 and the other wide in the front 3.

But if we did manage a marquee signing in the front 3 such as Di Maria then Lallana would certainly not be in my first eleven.

It is a squad game and im hopeful that Lallana will have an important part to play over the course of the season, but I'm not sure if I'd agree with the assertion that he's a nailed on starter or an obvious improvement on any of the players who play similar positions/roles in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This Origi guy doesn't score a lot of goals for a striker.

7 goals from 45 career matches. I'd manage that.

This gets said every season after the first few signings and never materialises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He was 18 years of age last season.

7 goals from 4 career matches. I'd manage that.

This gets said every season after the first few signings and never materialises.

7 in 45 last season in the French league

James Rodriguez had 9 in 40 last seaon in the French league and he is about to go for €80m.

I'm not in anyway comparing them but seeing the pace of the guy and how highly rated he is by some £10m really isn't a huge risk when you see a player come off a great World Cup going for €80m and we are getting one who had a good World Cup for £10 it's a lot better than buying Andy again.

Coutinho for me is undroppable based on end of season form. When we really needed it, he and Sterling stepped up

Yeah he improved incredibly.

Who would you drop then if Lallana comes in?

Or more importantly who will Rodgers drop?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

James Rodriguez had 9 in 40 last seaon in the French league and he is about to go for €80m.

I'm not in anyway comparing them but seeing the pace of the guy and how highly rated he is by some £10m really isn't a huge risk when you see a player come off a great World Cup going for €80m and we are getting one who had a good World Cup for £10 it's a lot better than buying Andy again.

Origi played 45 games in the french league last year? That seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hard to say, nice problem to have though isn't it?

mayordenis wrote: »
    Origi played 45 games in the french league last year? That seems unlikely.

Sorry 35... 30 league games and 5 cup games.

45 games for Lille in total

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divock_Origi

http://www.transfermarkt.com/divock-origi/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/148368

I read recently Origi started 12 league games last season and had 5 goals

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Hard to say, nice problem to have though isn't it?

Great problem to have.

With a few good defensive signings and perhaps another midfielder and forward we could have a very decent squad for the coming season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Well we dont have Suarez anymore, so I imagine at the moment we're looking at one of Lallana or Coutinho to join Sturridge and Sterling in the front 3 and the other to accompany Henderson in midfield.

I imagine Lazar will begin his Liverpool career from the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Origi will be a better fit for us than borini would ever have been he looks an excellent prospect and I am very happy to see us splash money on young raw potential like him. Again it's a very low risk signing.

Lovren and remy this week also. Get moreno in, a replacement for johnson and one big marquee player it will have been a great window and we should look to challenge again next season.

We wanted sanchez so there is definitely an ambition to get a so called big player in.

He was 18 years of age last season.

Look I'm writing him off and that is that Utopia Parkway.
    Ibe will amount to not much either.

James isn't a striker. 9/40 is a good/excellent return from a midfielder, 7/45 for a striker?

I read recently Origi started 12 league games last season and had 5 goals

His cousin Arnold currently plays for Lillestrøm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

The Guardian is running with the Lovren & Remy story.

2 great additions. Sort out First team Full backs and it's a very good window considering we lost our best player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/liverpool-dejan-lovren-loic-remy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I imagine this plays around the building every time we unveil a new player:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would think Johnson will stay too but still that sounds like it would still be around 30m brought in from player sales to add to the Suarez money and what you had to spend to begin with.

Johnson is well....meh! He's on big wages though which he doesn't come near justifying for me. Anyway, Borini was on loan so if he decides to go, it isn't going to make a difference to last years squad, Agger or Skrtel both have their uses, though there was talk Toure could be away to Turkey, so maybe we'll have 4 good CB options and little change from last year. It seems a lot to me but then Ilori will probably be loaned and well Coates just didn't work out. Lucas just isn't the player he was and is upgradeable, was mostly a squad player second half of the season.

They are significant changes to the squad, not really the first team. I think this is where people start comparing Spurs to us and forget we only had about 14/15 players we could depend on last season and Glen Johnson! It's inconceivable to go into a CL campaign without adding at least 3 or 4 players when all the deals are done.
    Honestly I would think that up to and potentially more than 50m of that won't get touched though, well at least not on transfer, it could go straight into redeveloping Anfield which is huge in itself. Now that might sound bad but as said I doubt everyone would want such huge numbers of new players trying to gel anyway.

I'd agree with you, I can't see them spending £150/160 Million unless they get maybe 2 big names, £60 Million which was always reported plus the Suarez money seems fine to me. Henry has said to reputable journalists that the Anfield money is separate so who knows.
    If Remy is signed I wouldnt expect another out and out CF but I wonder if any of the Milan players could be tempted by CL football and Milans penny pinching atm Stephan El Shaarawy for example would mean that say Sterling wouldn't have to start every single game and could be rested from time to time

Sturridge, Remy, Lambert, Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Henderson aren't bad options for the front 4, I'm not sure if he's what we need.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

K-9 wrote: »
    Johnson is well....meh! He's on big wages though which he doesn't come near justifying for me. Anyway, Borini was on loan so if he decides to go, it isn't going to make a difference to last years squad, Agger or Skrtel both have their uses, though there was talk Toure could be away to Turkey, so maybe we'll have 4 good CB options and little change from last year. It seems a lot to me but then Ilori will probably be loaned and well Coates just didn't work out. Lucas just isn't the player he was and is upgradeable, was mostly a squad player second half of the season.

They are significant changes to the squad, not really the first team. I think this is where people start comparing Spurs to us and forget we only had about 14/15 players we could depend on last season and Glen Johnson! It's inconceivable to go into a CL campaign without adding at least 3 or 4 players when all the deals are done.

I'd agree with you, I can't see them spending £150/160 Million unless they get maybe 2 big names, £60 Million which was always reported plus the Suarez money seems fine to me. Henry has said to reputable journalists that the Anfield money is separate so who knows.

Sturridge, Remy, Lambert, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Henderson aren't bad options for the front 4, I'm not sure if he's what we need.

if only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

0028673 wrote: »
    I'd love if LFC signed him. He signed a 5 year contract last month so he's going nowhere.
    Suarez signed a new contract with Liverpool last December!:pac:

That was the encouraging thing towards the end of last season, when Sturridge and even the Suarez goals dried up a bit.

Well his first season, he looked not bad for his age in the WC, plus its a long term thing, ideally be a squad player season after next.

As for the squad, we never had this much De Niro to spend before. We could end up spending more than Rodgers has had in his time here, in one Summer.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Well we dont have Suarez anymore, so I imagine at the moment we're looking at one of Lallana or Coutinho to join Sturridge and Sterling in the front 3 and the other to accompany Henderson in midfield.

I imagine Lazar will begin his Liverpool career from the bench

I do think we'll be starting with most of the regulars last season and easing the new signings in as much as possible, makes sense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

if only

:D I left Lambert out the last day, even more unforgiveable, I'm not used to having to list attacking options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He'd never join us. His life wouldn't be worth living in Liverpool.
    Unless he said "it was always my dream to one day play for a big club!" I don't see why.
    Obviously he'd get some stick but Everton are not going to crack the top four.
    He'd get CL football straight away by joining this summer and I'm sure if Kenwright was offered 20 million for a player he paid half a million for he'd bite your hand off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'm sure if Kenwright was offered 20 million for a player he paid half a million for he'd bite your hand off!!!

50k or 70k depending on who you listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Di Maria looks set for PSG..would it be worth it to throw a bid at Lucas Moura or Lavezzi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

So 3 more players to come in, still none of them are really getting me excited, it can't be that hard to convince one top class player to come to us, we're in the CL, and came second last year, maybe im being too greedy but id love another great player to come in and take that number 7 shirt, if Sterling keeps his form up it's his for the taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So 3 more players to come in, still none of them are really getting me excited, it can't be that hard to convince one top class player to come to us, we're in the CL, and came second last year, maybe im being too greedy but id love another great player to come in and take that number 7 shirt, if Sterling keeps his form up it's his for the taking

Possibly Rodgers wants to get the squad players in before he makes the "Big" signing.

Well, I hope so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He would be a rotation player for me. As our squad currently stands:

Easier home matches

Gerrard
    Henderson

Sterling---Coutinho----Markovic

Sturridge

For trickier games

Gerrard
    Allen----
    Henderson

Sterling----Sturridge----Coutinho

Those would be my default lineups.
    Obviously we have Remy, Markovic, Lallana, Lambert, Can and others who could potentially come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I think a lot of people might be surprised by Lallana. He's not coming to Anfield to make up the numbers, I can see him starting a number of games in midfield alongside Henderson and Gerrard, giving us extra pace and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think a lot of people might be surprised by Lallana. He's not coming to Anfield to make up the numbers, I can see him starting a number of games in midfield alongside Henderson and Gerrard, giving us extra pace and running.

I think it'll be a Lallana - Henderson - Gerrard - Markovic for the most part.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement