Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

marno21 wrote: »

BREAKING: Daniel Agger has put his house up for sale, fueling spectulation he is about to leave #LFC

Any source for that because Agger was quoted a few days saying this
    Agger: My restaurants were sold four years ago and I’ll be surprised and very sad if anyone has put my house up for sale.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think a lot of people might be surprised by Lallana. He's not coming to Anfield to make up the numbers, I can see him starting a number of games in midfield alongside Henderson and Gerrard, giving us extra pace and running.

Lallana will be coming in as a first team starter. If anything it'll be Coutinho that will miss out. There is already speculation linking Coutinho with a move away sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have we finished buying Southampton yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Ah we can't sell Coutinho. He's deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Surely Allen is the one to miss out?

Not sold on him at all, 15m players should stand out more agsint weaker opposition than he does. Hes a "fine" player, no more no less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

slingerz wrote: »
    Lallana will be coming in as a first team starter. If anything it'll be Coutinho that will miss out. There is already speculation linking Coutinho with a move away sure

Speculation where?

Unless it's anywhere reputable, it's hardly worth comment.

They can't all be starters. Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, Remy will all have some claim to a first XI berth, but for me Lallana has to earn that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Ah we can't sell Coutinho. He's deadly.

:eek:We're selling Coutinho!?! Not the first thing I needed to hear on a Monday morning, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Speculation where?

Unless it's anywhere reputable, it's hardly worth comment.

They can't all be starters. Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic, Remy will all have some claim to a first XI berth, but for me Lallana has to earn that spot.

The first team starters are for me the guys who would be picked to play in the biggest games.

The front 6 would be Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge and Markovic IMO

I'm sure that Coutinho will feature in a large number of games either as a starter or from the bench, similar to Remy, Allen, Can and Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Look I'm writing him off and that is that Utopia Parkway.
    Ibe will amount to not much either.

James isn't a striker. 9/40 is a good/excellent return from a midfielder, 7/45 for a striker?
    Origi played LW for Lille last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People keep going on about the first 11 but surely it's different with CL games this season.

Squad needed to be built up for extra games and the likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Can and Lallana are just not going to play every game.

So many people on here seem to think we just need 11 players and when a player is brought in it means someone has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

murpho999 wrote: »
    People keep going on about the first 11 but surely it's different with CL games this season.

Squad needed to be built up for extra games and the likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Can and Lallana are just not going to play every game.

So many people on here seem to think we just need 11 players and when a player is brought in it means someone has to go.

Our team we field in the Carling Cup (or whatever its called this year) should be a mix of 1st eleven, squad and maybe 1 or 2 youth/reserve players. In recent years its been mainly youth/reserve and first eleven because there hasn't really been a squad.
    There are plenty of games for everyone.

I also think that each week there will be a different team sheet depending on who we are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Any source for that because Agger was quoted a few days saying this
    The best poster to ask about any move away by Agger is Aggeristheman:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

The first team starters are for me the guys who would be picked to play in the biggest games.

The front 6 would be Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge and Markovic IMO

I'm sure that Coutinho will feature in a large number of games either as a starter or from the bench, similar to Remy, Allen, Can and Lambert.

Not sure I'd be so quick to put Coutinho behind a new signing with zero premiership experience. Exciting as Markovic is it will take him a while to get up to speed. I suspect we'll actually be doing a 6from 8 system for that front 6 for the most part, depending on if we get a marquee name or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Coutinho!! The lad is going to be an absolute superstar in a couple of years he will be one of the top players in the league. No way would we sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seems to be a bit of talk over the Lovern fee.

Lot of European outlets are reporting that it is a 20m (circa 16m pound) euro bid that was accepted by Southampton rather than the £20m figure that many British journos are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

it'll be Coutinho that will miss out. There is already speculation linking Coutinho with a move away sure
    Coutinho is going absolutely nowhere this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ian Ayre using Jedi mind tricks to get them to agree to €20m

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of talk over the Lovern fee.

Lot of European outlets are reporting that it is a 20m (circa 16m pound) euro bid that was accepted by Southampton rather than the £20m figure that many British journos are saying.

Unless there is a set release clause I always take a reported fee with a pinch of salt. Take a big fee and knock £5m off it to the real figure is how I look at it. Lallana cost £16m as Bournemouth received £4m exactly 25%, but you will still hear he cost £20m. Henderson cost £16m from Sunderland, you always hear he cost £20m, the same now with Lovren.

We all love a bargain but if the player is a success the fee is irrelevant.

Lets be honest while Madrid can buy a Toni Kroos for £20m the rest of us have to pay the real inflated market prices, £20m really doesn't get you much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lovren is an excellent signing. One of the best CB's in the premier league. We are mostly signing proven Premier League players which is smart.

2011 called, it wants its failed transfer approach back.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Difference is we all knew how limited Carroll and Downing were, I still shudder that we spent £55m on those two. Lambert, Remy, Lovren and Lallana are a much better calibre of player.

I still believe we are just building the squad and we will still sign 1 or 2 players who can walk into the first eleven. Rodgers knows we need a name to fill that big Suarez void, you cant rely on young potential and standout players from mid table sides.

rob316 wrote: »
    Difference is we all knew how limited Carroll and Downing were, I still shudder that we spent £55m on those two. Lambert, Remy, Lovren and Lallana are a much better calibre of player.

I still believe we are just building the squad and we will still sign 1 or 2 players who can walk into the first eleven. Rodgers knows we need a name to fill that big Suarez void, you cant rely on young potential and standout players from mid table sides.

:confused:

There was huge optimism about both signings on this thread, the argument was about the fees concerned. Downing especially was accepted as a good acquisition and I think it would be fair to say that his seeming inability to beat a player or score a goal for much of his time in a Liverpool jersey was a huge surprise.

Suarez
    Borini
    Assaidi
    Lucas
    Agger
    Aspas

Lambert
    Lallana
    Can
    Markovic
    Lovren
    Remy

I'd say we'd have more work to do, yes. As of right now I don't think we can afford to lose Lucas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

rob316 wrote: »

Pity the club didnt.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I seem to remember you lot were pretty happy with all those signings, something about moneyball and winning the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I seem to remember you lot were pretty happy with all those signings, something about moneyball and winning the league.

No doubt,

But boy did we eat some humble pie the following 3 years....

I really don't think many were happy with the Downing signing.

His signing was worse than the Carroll one in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

SlickRic wrote: »
    um, chill the fúck out.

I wasn't commenting on our squad at all. in fact, Lovren is a great and needed signing.

I was merely saying that Real's front 5 or 6 is fúcking incredible.

Had a few on me yesterday and was wound up, so I'd just like to apologise to Slick over this.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't think many were happy with the Downing signing.

His signing was worse than the Carroll one in my opinion.

Sigh, you're going to make me trawl through archives and post quotes aren't you? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Charlie Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well Downing sorted me out. Can remember wanting the likes of Turan over him, but then tried to rationalise the buying of Downing by getting myself to believe that he would be steady rather than spectacular.

Then Downing went out of his way to prove that in a Liverpool shirt that his default performance did indeed start with the letter S, but that word sure as hell was not steady. :(

I was even pro Carroll for a bit. Then I got to see him play in front of me on a regular basis and soon realised the horrible truth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Sigh, you're going to make me trawl through archives and post quotes aren't you? :(

No need to on my part...will happily admit that I was VERY wrong on Downing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Quote from Agger apparently:

"It is no secret that I had problems last season and I am considering things."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Big difference the players we are signing are better imo. I was never happy with our summer 2011 business. The players we signed all should fit into our system too . I still think & hope we will try to sign a proven world class player too.

Ah sure go on Lloyd, name and shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Poor Charlie Adams gets an awful rap. He wasn't all that bad. On par with the Enrique signing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Poor Charlie Adams gets an awful rap. He wasn't all that bad. On par with the Enrique signing for me.

Most controversial post in boards history...

Adam was insanely bad for us. Slowed the game down to a snails pace.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Big difference the players we are signing are better imo. I was never happy with our summer 2011 business. The players we signed all should fit into our system too . I still think & hope we will try to sign a proven world class player too.

Maybe - or maybe not. There are similarities anyway, I'll say that much.

Downing had been considered a very good player at Premiership level for a few seasons before we came in for him. The issue was that at Boro and Villa he wasn't expected to produce week in and week out, and hadn't been tested in scenarios where he's up against teams parking the bus on a regular basis.
    Adam was the main man at Blackpool and was universally recognised as having had a brilliant season before we acquired him. I think Adam is a very talented player actually, great left peg. The issue was that fleeting moments of excellence stood out for a struggling team with low expectations. He didn't have the drive or desire required at a club like Liverpool where the pressure is on week in, week out.
    Carroll had 18 months of consistently strong performances under his belt before he transferred for us between their promotion campaign and first half of the 10 / 11 season. I think the fee hung like a noose around his neck to be honest. He remains a good player, just not aligned with the football we wish to play.
    Henderson was young and English and overhyped on that basis. He has come good, but it hasn't been easy.

We're taking in three players from Southampton who have done well there by all accounts - just as Downing / Adam / Carroll / Henderson were all considered to have done well in the seasons before they were signed for us. Southampton lost 12 league games last season and drew 11. They lost 15 and drew 14 the season before. They've had third and fifth round finishes in the cup, only winning games against lower league opposition. The step up is huge. The context within which they have impressed is radically different to the pressure they will now play under on a weekly basis.

That's not to say they are doomed to failure. Many players do make the step up successfully. But the notion that 'we are signing a totally different calibre of player this time round' is nonsense. It's the same idea. Let us hope we get a different result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boom_Bap wrote: »

How to defend, hopefully.

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Claiming Downing was worse than Carroll is a worse call.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »

That's a lie. He had some good games for us and added something to the mix. His dead ball delivery was of a very high quality, and he is the type of player to make plays. A couple of items I remember are a superb whipped delivery from the left touchline against City at home in the League Cup semi; and there were a few occasions where he had a go at players and would beat one or two creating an opening from nothing. The issue was consistency - he struggled to maintain a level of performance over a full 90 minutes, never mind a stretch of games.

Charlie Adam and players like him are the reason Kevin Kilbane has 100 International caps. Adam is clearly talented, a natural footballer. He is also not as fit as he could be; and doesn't bring the same level of intensity to every game he plays in. If he was driven to be all that he could be and all players were the same then it would mean the Spearings and McShanes of this world would be forced to ply their trade at much lower levels.

I don't rue his absence, but I'm not going to pretend Adam was awful for us. Downing and Joe Cole - that's what awful is.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Agger was brilliant during 2011 / 12. He's been poor since to be frank. If he was to move on I'd have no real regrets. He's behind Skrtel and Sakho in the pecking order for me anyway.

Also scored a cracker in that Blackburn game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Also scored a cracker in that Blackburn game.
    My only Anfield visit thus far - thumped it home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Just spent the weekend in the north west of England. Sudden impetus into Liverpool's transfer dealings. Coincidence?

Yes.

Lloyd nailed it. Adam was brilliant for Blackpool and Stoke because those clubs don't expect to win the vast majority of their games. If Adam is brilliant for just 50% of his games, then that's probably enough for Stoke to secure a mid-table finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Adam was a scapegoat for that seasons transfer activity. Much like Joe Allen was. Both players put in good performances but not regularly enough.

They also missed out on having Lucas around them as he was either injured or Gerrard was preferred over him.

Agger was brilliant during 2011 / 12. He's been poor since to be frank. If he was to move on I'd have no real regrets. He's behind Skrtel and Sakho in the pecking order for me anyway.
    Same story with himself and Reina. During Rafa's days, they were two top class players, but for whatever reason, it's been a long time since they were at that kind of level. While anyone can have a poor/mediocre season, to go through that kind of form 2-3 season in a row, then you're going to rightfully lose patience. I think if Rafa picked him up, he would still be an absolute star in Serie A. His lack of physicality/pace would be less exposed, and his ability on the ball would be enhanced. After a pretty rubbish time with us in the last few years, I think he deserves a few good seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sure didn't some 'expert' say he was worth £10m for his corner talking alone;)

• Advertisement

Didn't Adam play in a three man midfield at Blackpool?

I remember watching him in horror in a 2 man midfield for Liverpool on a few occasions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement