Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

brevity wrote: »
    Adam was a scapegoat for that seasons transfer activity. Much like Joe Allen was. Both players put in good performances but not regularly enough.

They also missed out on having Lucas around them as he was either injured or Gerrard was preferred over him.

Jesus, almost forgot about Joe Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Carroll was insanely good in his final season at Newcastle.

11 goals in the first 19 games before he signed for Liverpool. And there were some good goals. He was actually unplayable - like Christian Vieri - only he was 21 or so.

35 million was a lot but he was a great player to get at the time. Injuries, disclipine, his head, whatever it was it didn't work out but every big club feared Liverpool a bit more when he first signed.

Obviously now everyone knew at the time it wouldn't work and we're all experts but you were a fool if you weren't sticking him straight in your fantasy football team back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't Adam play in a three man midfield at Blackpool?

I remember watching him in horror in a 2 man midfield for Liverpool on a few occasions.

Especially when that other man was Jay Spearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was very very underwhelmed with the Downing and Adam signings, didn't really know a lot about Henderson at the time tbh and had hoped that if Carroll really knuckled down and applied himself he could be a useful asset upfront.

This year? Know zero about Can and Markovic tbh but they sound promising by all accounts; Lallana could be very good for us I think - has a much higher ceiling than Downing or Adams ever had imho.

Slightly bemused by the Lambert love in - seems a bit premature being that he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for us yet....when he cracks in a couple of injury time winners in front of the Kop he'll have earned his cult hero status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I think the problem with a few of those signings was they were signed without any real idea how to fit them into how the team needed to play. Carroll isn't a bad footballer but signing him stank of desperation to get a replacement for Torres to get us into top four (I think we had similar bids of £35m in to Bayern, anything to get a target man to eke out a few points). Adam was a decent footballer but tbh we were never going to play a game that suited him (slow) and he lacked the determination to make it work.

Hopefully that lesson has been learned. The fact we've raided Southampton who play a similar pressing style gives me some hope but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

What's the fantasy football code does anyone know??

And can anyone post those 2 sterling videos that nuri posted a few days ago? On the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Remy is gonna be a great signing for us, the transfer of the summer for £8.5m

Now ye can all bookmark this post for when he turns into the second coming of Sean Dundee/Eric Meijer :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Pity Maxi Rodriguez wanted to go home, i'd have kept him no question about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Was very very underwhelmed with the Downing and Adam signings, didn't really know a lot about Henderson at the time tbh and had hoped that if Carroll really knuckled down and applied himself he could be a useful asset upfront.

This year? Know zero about Can and Markovic tbh but they sound promising by all accounts; Lallana could be very good for us I think - has a much higher ceiling than Downing or Adams ever had imho.

Slightly bemused by the Lambert love in - seems a bit premature being that he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for us yet....when he cracks in a couple of injury time winners in front of the Kop he'll have earned his cult hero status

Think he is a very good squad buy. He looks a very clever player when the ball is played in to his feet, and he appeared to be very good at dropping deep to collect the ball with his back to goal. His link up play, with Lallana in particular, reminded me a hell of a lot of how Teddy Sheringham used to do it or, for even older heads, of how Kerry Dixon was able to bring midfoelders into the attacking third with hold up play and lay offs.

Think what impressed me the most about Lambert was his range of passing. Now he is no Alonso on that front, but he seems very comfortable on the ball and is well able to pick a pass be it short or long range.

Can see him working very well in allowing quick players like Markovic, Sterling, Lallana etc to run onto a pass as they break from deeper positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kfallon wrote: »
    Remy is gonna be a great signing for us, the transfer of the summer for £8.5m

Now ye can all bookmark this post for when he turns into the second coming of Sean Dundee/Eric Meijer :P

He is the signing/potential signing that I have the most doubts about. Think he is an ideal player for a counter attacking team, but can see a hell of a lot of attacks and moves breaking down through his Cisse- esque understanding of the offside rule.

Really not sure how well he will do in a team like Liverpool that is not primarily a counter attacking one.

His pace will cause some teams problems, and he is a very tidy finisher, but damn does he get caught offside and out of position a lot.

Then again at £8m or so, he is not a massive gamble and probably worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When we signed players in 2011/12 we signed players with good stats.

Some proper sh1te players have good stats. Thats the problem with using stats in general.

Whatever about Downing and Adam, i remember lads in here telling me off for saying Jovanovic and Voronin were sh1te even before they joined, give them a chance i was told. They were a whole new level, well below what Adam and Downing were. People forget how bad we had it prior to them lads. In fairness, things had got that low near the end of G&H that signing a player that would improve us was cause for celebration. Fact is Downing and Adam did improve us from where we were.

Anyone remember Kenny walking through the door having to play Jovanovic and Poulsen away at Blackpool in a shop window situation?. Thats how bad it got, never forget it, as much as we'd like to. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

hefferboi wrote: »

And can anyone post those 2 sterling videos that nuri posted a few days ago? On the phone!

19044-27157

Sterling Post

hefferboi wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91322653&postcount=7516

Can someone edit the code into the OP? or not?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't Adam play in a three man midfield at Blackpool?

I remember watching him in horror in a 2 man midfield for Liverpool on a few occasions.

Charlie Adam played in an attacking midfield role . He didn't really have to do a lot of running when he played for Blackpool . That helped him a lot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think he is a very good squad buy. He looks a very clever player when the ball is played in to his feet, and he appeared to be very good at dropping deep to collect the ball with his back to goal. His link up play, with Lallana in particular, reminded me a hell of a lot of how Teddy Sheringham used to do it or, for even older heads, of how Kerry Dixon was able to bring midfoelders into the attacking third with hold up play and lay offs.

Think what impressed me the most about Lambert was his range of passing. Now he is no Alonso on that front, but he seems very comfortable on the ball and is well able to pick a pass be it short or long range.

Can see him working very well in allowing quick players like Markovic, Sterling, Lallana etc to run onto a pass as they break from deeper positions.

Added to this he takes a mean penalty and has belted in some cracking free kicks. We can't really go wrong with the Lambert signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He wasn't good enough and definitely isn't anymore. He contributed very little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cartman78 wrote: »

There has been excitement about him, but I haven't seen anyone alluding to him being already a cult hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Correct. I was always underwhelmed by Maxi Rodriguez - in fact he contributed so little to most games I used to refer to him as Mini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Downing had been considered a very good player at Premiership level for a few seasons before we came in for him. The issue was that at Boro and Villa he wasn't expected to produce week in and week out, and hadn't been tested in scenarios where he's up against teams parking the bus on a regular basis.
    Adam was the main man at Blackpool and was universally recognised as having had a brilliant season before we acquired him. I think Adam is a very talented player actually, great left peg. The issue was that fleeting moments of excellence stood out for a struggling team with low expectations. He didn't have the drive or desire required at a club like Liverpool where the pressure is on week in, week out.
    Carroll had 18 months of consistently strong performances under his belt before he transferred for us between their promotion campaign and first half of the 10 / 11 season. I think the fee hung like a noose around his neck to be honest. He remains a good player, just not aligned with the football we wish to play.
    Henderson was young and English and overhyped on that basis. He has come good, but it hasn't been easy.
    [...]
    That's not to say they are doomed to failure. Many players do make the step up successfully. But the notion that 'we are signing a totally different calibre of player this time round' is nonsense. It's the same idea. Let us hope we get a different result.

The similarities are only superficial.

I was happy with the Henderson signing and have always been.

Downing and Lallana - Downing was an orthodox winger who could run, work hard, whip the ball in and every now and again score.
    Lallana is a far more techically capable footballer, has scored more goals last season than I think Downing ever has in a season and is just a much better footballer.
    Downing and Adam were like a pair of donkeys in midfield if they weren't delivering some end-product whereas Allen and Lallana will at least be able to slot in midfield and gel with the team, tactically and technically.

Carroll and Lambert - Lambert looks far more techincally capable, but that's besides the point. He's being brought in as cheap squad filler at low risk whereas we had a right to expect starting 11 world class ability for 35m quid.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's a lie. He had some good games for us and added something to the mix. His dead ball delivery was of a very high quality, and he is the type of player to make plays. A couple of items I remember are a superb whipped delivery from the left touchline against City at home in the League Cup semi; and there were a few occasions where he had a go at players and would beat one or two creating an opening from nothing. The issue was consistency - he struggled to maintain a level of performance over a full 90 minutes, never mind a stretch of games.

I utterly disagree. Having done some good things on the pitch doesn't mean Adam played well. His job isn't to have one good moment and be a bag of dicks for the rest of the game.
    He has to be able to work hard, make good use of the ball and keep our midfield in shape.
    The little flashes of quality every 3 or 4 games weren't enough to counter his terrible all round play and atrocious decision-making. He cost us scoring as many goals with his total lack of intelligence on the field as many times as he scored.

After Cole, which is the maddest thing this club has ever done, Adam was the worst of that batch of signings. At no point was he ever of the standard required under any circumstances. Not even good enough for our reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Adam only came good a Liverpool signing last season, he scored some crucial goals against our rivals.

• Advertisement

He should have been kept for the song alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Forget Charlie Adam ffs, this is 2014 calling, we want our thread back.

Charlie Adam was ok. He wasn't a disaster. I even have a few fond memories of him bobbling through the midfield with the ball going in his favour some of the time.

He loved a bit of Gareth Bale's legs, didn't he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Charlie Adams sisters pants

or was it

Charlie Adam sister's pants :P

Either way I doubt she was a looker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Had a few on me yesterday and was wound up, so I'd just like to apologise to Slick over this.

honestly man, no need to apologise at all.

we're all grown ups in here, and all get wound up from time to time. if we can't handle a few strongly worded posts at us, we shouldn't be on the Internet tbh.

i wouldn't want a culture to start whereby we're apologising for stuff on the Internet. it'd start getting a bit weird! :P

thanks for the gesture all the same. it takes a stand-up person to do so.

also, nevermind anything else that's going on in our lives, we all just want to see the club kick on. it's going to get a bit full-on at times because we all have different visions of how we want to see Liverpool push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BtETqCbIEAA7Zcm.jpg:large
    so long for now, sweet prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Slan leat Iago!

Lambert is a significant improvement on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Looks like a trainee newscaster in that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Looks like a trainee newscaster in that pic

As long as he doesn't ruin the corners on that sheet of paper he'll do a good job..

..runs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Aspas turns 27 in a week or so, and he looks like he's just done the Leaving and is heading into college. Maybe that's what fooled Liverpool into signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Aspas turns 27 in a week or so, and he looks like he's just done the Leaving and is heading into college. Maybe that's what fooled Liverpool into signing him.

Its like that 17 year old Lazio player who everyone thought was 35.

Aspas is the busiest guy at the office that doesn't get a thing done.

Apparently Spurs and Monaco are in for Griezmann.

SlickRic wrote: »
    BtETqCbIEAA7Zcm.jpg:large
    so long for now, sweet prince.

Needs some leaning to make it official.

Jeez, Ian Ayre aged over the weekend

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Apparently Spurs and Monaco are in for Griezmann.

Let's see how attractive Lahndan is when Monaco is an option :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

daithijjj wrote: »

The only worry now is it will prolong his club career.

Stevie G has retired from international football

Edit: Clearly beaten to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

daithijjj wrote: »

Good. Probably should have done it after Euro 2012 to be honest. He played really well in that tournament and you get no thanks for hanging in there for England once it goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Robbed from PP! The book maker of choice for all Man Utd Fans!

10534139_10152569042764914_869539377881945783_n.png?oh=8b436b012c4989d2ee23b01d8d3a16ab&oe=54543F9C&__gda__=1414726307_d6366ecad953a01b6ced59dfe68d1c7c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Looks like Borini wants to stay.
    Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 1m
    Fabio Borini's agent has told the Italian media that the forward will be turning down Sunderland's offer to fight for his place at Liverpool

Does that affect the Remy deal lads do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Gerrard has retired from international football. Good news for us:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166831-gerrard-reveals-england-retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Excellent movement from Borini if true, looks to be out the door and one stage much to the delight of one or two posters, only to pull a 180.

Top top movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TheTownie wrote: »
    Looks like Borini wants to stay.

Does that affect the Remy deal lads do ye think?

Doubt it. Rodgers wanted another striker anyway.

As much as it's admirable for a player to want to fight for his place the offer is too good to turn down so I still hope Borini can be convinced to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

[CynicalHatOn]Methinks that Sunderland's wages were the sticking point[/CynicalHatOn]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Don't mind Borini staying at all, but I'd rather have £14 million.
    brevity wrote: »
    [CynicalHatOn]Methinks that Sunderland's wages were the sticking point[/CynicalHatOn]

His wages at Liverpool were reported to be £30-40k p/w. Can't imagine Sunderland weren't willing to pay that or even slightly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Borini really needs to show us something in preseason if he is determined to fight for his place. Hasn't done much of note in the first two games, albeit they were both disjointed performances due to the amount of subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its admirable to hear fabio say he wants to stay and fight for his place but we are stacked with attackers, who of sturridge/remy/sterling/markovic/lallanna/lambert does he get a game ahead of? Even ibe and suso made a stake for a place more than fabio in the last game. I imagine the personal terms with sunderland were below expectations and so here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Look Fabio, it's not you, it's me we tried and trial separation and it felt right. I know you want to try and make this work but i think in the long run it's better we stop hurting each other. I think we should go our separate ways and enjoy our lives without each other. We'll always have Swansea.

Brendo.

ps. Look at Iago, he's gone off home to Spain and it's taken years off him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement