Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Gerrard has retired from international football. Good news for us:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/166831-gerrard-reveals-england-retirement

It's actually good to see him retire now . He can now give Liverpool everything for the remainder of his career .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Brilliant news about Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithijjj wrote: »
    When we signed players in 2011/12 we signed players with good stats.

Some proper sh1te players have good stats. Thats the problem with using stats in general.

Whatever about Downing and Adam, i remember lads in here telling me off for saying Jovanovic and Voronin were sh1te even before they joined, give them a chance i was told. They were a whole new level, well below what Adam and Downing were. People forget how bad we had it prior to them lads. In fairness, things had got that low near the end of G&H that signing a player that would improve us was cause for celebration. Fact is Downing and Adam did improve us from where we were.

Anyone remember Kenny walking through the door having to play Jovanovic and Poulsen away at Blackpool in a shop window situation?. Thats how bad it got, never forget it, as much as we'd like to. :pac:

Don't remind me, remember the pre season games for a couple of years, the most important thing was hoping Jova, Cole or Degen (if able to walk) and a whole list of others could play well in Norway or somewhere!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gerrard's being looking at a lot of the new lads hair, the Lallanas, Cans, and so on, and decided he was having a bit of that. He has a way to go yet, and there's a hint of Gordon Henderson off it, but I'm hoping it works for him and we can see him play at a high level for a while yet.

As mentioned, I think the retirement came two years too late, and it may warp some people's view of his contribution for England.

daRobot wrote: »
    Good ole' Gerrard - watch with volume :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho
    Loic Remy flying into Boston tonight to undergo medical and complete his £8.5m move from QPR. #LFC

Remy deal doesn't seem to be dependent on Borini going anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Knex. wrote: »

Thanks mate, made a mess of that and deleted it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

brevity wrote: »
    Adam was a scapegoat for that seasons transfer activity. Much like Joe Allen was. Both players put in good performances but not regularly enough.

They also missed out on having Lucas around them as he was either injured or Gerrard was preferred over him.

I thought when we bought him Adam would be a good squad player to have, he was just over used and as pointed out, we'd him and Spearing to rely on. Got us to 2 cup finals so not all bad!
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Was very very underwhelmed with the Downing and Adam signings, didn't really know a lot about Henderson at the time tbh and had hoped that if Carroll really knuckled down and applied himself he could be a useful asset upfront.

This year? Know zero about Can and Markovic tbh but they sound promising by all accounts; Lallana could be very good for us I think - has a much higher ceiling than Downing or Adams ever had imho.

Slightly bemused by the Lambert love in - seems a bit premature being that he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for us yet....when he cracks in a couple of injury time winners in front of the Kop he'll have earned his cult hero status

This is the thing about proven PL players, it isn't about the league they play in, its about the actual player. Lallana definitely looks to have more about him than a Downing type player, Lambert makes sense and he's a bargain, Remy similar though I'd share Kess's concerns. We have good attacking squad options, one good quality signing and it would be fine for me.
    Pity Maxi Rodriguez wanted to go home, i'd have kept him no question about it.

I think we could have got another season for him, he'd have read Carrolls knock downs well, Bellamy was about the only one who did for us, even Suarez never really did.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Think he is a very good squad buy. He looks a very clever player when the ball is played in to his feet, and he appeared to be very good at dropping deep to collect the ball with his back to goal. His link up play, with Lallana in particular, reminded me a hell of a lot of how Teddy Sheringham used to do it or, for even older heads, of how Kerry Dixon was able to bring midfoelders into the attacking third with hold up play and lay offs.

Think what impressed me the most about Lambert was his range of passing. Now he is no Alonso on that front, but he seems very comfortable on the ball and is well able to pick a pass be it short or long range.

Can see him working very well in allowing quick players like Markovic, Sterling, Lallana etc to run onto a pass as they break from deeper positions.

Yep, we don't really have a player like that. Sturridge is just ok at holding it up, Sterling can do it but I'd prefer him getting it and turning at pace, its what he's good at.

Just on the Southampton thing Lloyd was on about, yep, they lost a good few games last season but they drifted a bit near the end, the whole ownership thing probably didn't help. They still did well and gave a lot of better quality teams bother with their pressing, counter attacking style. Again it comes back to the quality of the players, Lallana looks quality and is versatile, a good sign.

Transfers are hard to call but it's about the right type of buys, Lallana and Lambert look fine to me. Markovic and Can would be the ones I'd worry about more mainly because of their youth. Remember the stats by Tomkins, getting 50% of transfers at pretty decent to a success is doing ok!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No worries! All you need is to use the end of the YouTube url, with the tags:

(Obviously remove the spaces :p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Remy deal doesn't seem to be dependent on Borini going anyway.

If Borini doesn't go now he'll go in January. His self belief is admirable but his cards have been marked, he's a goner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He only did it to get your thanks, which is the real purpose of posting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't remind me, remember the pre season games for a couple of years, the most important thing was hoping Jova, Cole or Degen (if able to walk) and a whole list of others could play well in Norway or somewhere!

I still remember the Carroll debacle. We're near the end of a transfer window and I'm feeling pretty good. We have Fernando and some promising signings coming in. Sky sports announce the Chelsea have bid for Torres and we've turned them down. No worries I think. Then they say his agent has instructed Liverpool to keep negotiating.

Cue a scramble to replace our best player with fcuk all time left in the window. Mad bids for players who werent worth it in anything but desperation mode.

That shameless excuse for a striker left us high and dry at the worst possible moment. I like to think after the Suarez to arsenal nonsense last season that if it happened now it would work out somewhat differently and fsg would tell him to take a hike. But if Torres couldn't buy a goal with a platinum card I wouldn't be too upset since in my humble opinion (and I'm sure others will disagree) he basically shafted us and left us with Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And I used to think that I was cynical :pac:

Have a thanks.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have a thanks.

I don't want your pity. Post deleted.

:pac:

Have a thanks.
    I don't want your pity. Post deleted.

:pac:

Ok. Thanks, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

tritium wrote: »
    I still remember the Carroll debacle. We're near the end of a transfer window and I'm feeling pretty good. We have Fernando and some promising signings coming in. Sky sports announce the Chelsea have bid for Torres and we've turned them down. No worries I think. Then they say his agent has instructed Liverpool to keep negotiating.

Cue a scramble to replace our best player with fcuk all time left in the window. Mad bids for players who werent worth it in anything but desperation mode.

That shameless excuse for a striker left us high and dry at the worst possible moment. I like to think after the Suarez to arsenal nonsense last season that if it happened now it would work out somewhat differently and fsg would tell him to take a hike. But if Torres couldn't buy a goal with a platinum card I wouldn't be too upset since in my humble opinion (and I'm sure others will disagree) he basically shafted us and left us with Carroll

I know they were bleak days, but it wasn't that long ago!

Good news about Gerrard.

Would be great if the rest of the squad would retire from international duty too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

He only did it to get your thanks, which is the real purpose of posting here.

Is there any way to thank your own posts? It would mean more to me coming from myself as opposed to you losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good news about Gerrard.

Would be great if the rest of the squad would retire from international duty too

Johnson retired from football about 18months ago.... :)

I can laugh about it now but I die a little more inside when I see his name on the teamsheet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Fescue wrote: »
    Is there any way to thank your own posts? It would mean more to me coming from myself as opposed to you losers Saps.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

For my homie Ade

1366116815_tumblr_lzu0cj22J11rp8pduo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great news about Gerrard will still be one of the best midfielders in the league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Twitter rumblings that Chelsea are about to hijack the Lovren deal. Its probably BS but you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bit bizzare but james pearce from the echo saying can has not travelled boston because of his calf injury despite being photod going on the plane with the rest. Hardly an ideal start to his career here in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

The great NURI is site banned:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

john why wrote: »

why john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just saw that, wonder what he did?
    Hopefully he got the responsibility for the FSA Fantasy Football league off to the new owner beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

They're playing him out of position AGAIN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Just saw that, wonder what he did?
    Hopefully he got the responsibility for the FSA Fantasy Football league off to the new owner beforehand.

Have a read of "For those who like to b2tch and moan about us on twitter..." sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

Folks, please don't start discussing bannings and the like in the thread. It is against charter, and not something that anyone should put themselves into a position to be carded over.

Those that want to chat about it can surely find ways to do so without breaking forum rules (by PM, on other sites, on twitter or wherever), but please do not get yourselves carded by trying to do it in the soccer forum.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The only worry now is it will prolong his club career.

Quotes like this necessitate a "thumbs down" feature on boards. He will be gradually phased out over the next couple of years and I will privately shed a tear when he last kicks a ball for LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

garra wrote: »
    Quotes like this necessitate a "thumbs down" feature on boards. He will be gradually phased out over the next couple of years and I will privately shed a tear when he last kicks a ball for LFC.

Why not suggest it in the feedback forum? Not a bad idea but maybe they don't want it to turn out like how comments are on "The Journal" site.

Did a load of tags disappear?

And before someone asks, some skins don't show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why not suggest it in the feedback forum? Not a bad idea but maybe they don't want it to turn out like how comments are on "The Journal" site.

On reflection I'm happy enough to post my opinion rather than offer a vague "Un-thanks"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

murpho999 wrote: »

Not sure if you are aware, but it's been suggested and dismissed several times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

52815370.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The only worry now is it will prolong his club career.

I dont care if i get banned for this, YOU SIR ARE A ****ING GOB****E after a comment like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I dont care if i get banned for this, YOU SIR ARE A ****ING GOB****E after a comment like that

Jesus.

Why? He could be like giggs for ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

shamrock55 wrote: »

Learn to take a joke perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Rumours floating about that United have thrown a bid of £16m in for Hummels...would also love this guy at Liverpool. In his mid 20s and would be a solid marquee signing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Fescue : Upsetting shamrock55's applecart since 3pm today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I think this place needs a signing, asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A meltdown monday feeling.

hear_no_evil__see_no_evil__speak_no_evil_by_bluemisti-d6qex3n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think this place needs a signing, aspas!

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A meltdown monday feeling.

hear_no_evil__see_no_evil__speak_no_evil_by_bluemisti-d6qex3n.jpg
    Wow, i had forgotten all about Meltdown Mondays. Logging in around 10 am and finding 2-300 posts of bile and invective and greyditch in the middle with some insanely funny comment.

Good,good days...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Klopp has come out saying reus and hummels are staying at dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Rumours floating about that United have thrown a bid of £16m in for Hummels...would also love this guy at Liverpool. In his mid 20s and would be a solid marquee signing imo

I'd prefer Lovern. Hummels is vastly over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rob316 wrote: »
    Twitter rumblings that Chelsea are about to hijack the Lovren deal. Its probably BS but you just never know.

Well If that happens I can just imagine the chants from the crowd during the first Chelsea/Liverpool meeting....

"You've lost that Lovren feelin, whoa that Lovren feeling......"

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If there's any hint of a sale I think it be a higher figure than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

T-K-O wrote: »
    I'd prefer Lovern. Hummels is vastly over rated.

Hummel's was a lot of peoples bitch over the WC

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement