Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When are we on the box again?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Latest full back that we are linked to. Know nothing about this guy
    Javier Manquillo had been wanted by Arsenal according to reports in Spain. The Premier League club had gone about things the right way and contacted his current club Atletico Madrid, but were told that the young Spanish fullback wasn't going anywhere.

It was reported that Arsenal wanted a loan with a right of purchase, which sounded like it would be an extended trial, and they were told by Atletico that Manquillo would be staying with them. Arsenal demanded a transfer summit to talk face to face about the possible deal but it didn't go much further from there.

Atletico at the same time were trying to use Manquillo in a deal to buy Alberto Moreno from Sevilla. Atletico's offer of Manquillo as part payment showed that their insistence the player wasn't going anywhere didn't ring entirely true. Rather than a flat refusal to let him leave, the Spanish champions appeared to be coming at the situation from a negotiation viewpoint and trying to get the most money possible.

Following the sales of Diego Costa and friends, Atletico will be reluctant to let any further players leave the club but if the money is right then it's clear that deals can be done.

Spanish newspaper AS say on Tuesday that Manquillo is now 'a step away' from joining Liverpool. A move to Merseyside would also be on a loan basis and it's a puzzle as to why Premier League clubs would be so interested in such an idea, but it's being reported anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Meh...I dunno....seems like a lose-lose situation for a club like Liverpool imho...if he comes over and plays sh1t/doesn't fit in etc (eg. Sahin, Moses) it's a waste of everyone's time and money, and if he plays out of his skin, he'll probably want to go back to Real and prove himself over there

If he comes in and plays badly/doesn't fit in it's not really a huge waste of money on our part. Worth a punt for a player of Isco's quality. To say him coming in and playing unreal with the view of going back to Real is a lose scenario is wrong IMO. If he plays out of his skin and wants to go back to Madrid next season so be it, at least we got a great player for a year a la Luis Suarez last season.

Great comparison of Lovern to other quality centre halfs.
    His errors per game, tackles and aerial duels would make him and Skrtel an impressive proposition

3EBTcoC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Meh...I dunno....seems like a lose-lose situation for a club like Liverpool imho...if he comes over and plays sh1t/doesn't fit in etc (eg. Sahin, Moses) it's a waste of everyone's time and money, and if he plays out of his skin, he'll probably want to go back to Real and prove himself over there

If he comes in, plays well and is a factor in maintaining cl then its definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

kfallon wrote: »
    When are we on the box again?

Wednesday night I think :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dan Agger's aerial duels and % of duels won are far higher than I expected.

Still, defensive errors are too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems james is indeed joining madrid, think we should be all over isco and not a loan deal either, straight up cash that we have plenty of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't unerstand why a club of our stature are even considering loan signings :confused:

None of the other Top 5/6 are doing it so why are we??

Arsenal have loaned a few players in recent times, some did nothing whilst Beniyuom helped big time securing champions league football.

Also can somebody tell me what the Jan Molby clause is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wednesday night I think :(

Early hours of Thurs morning job, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

All this talk of lovren, I would prefer hummells who may be going to manu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Knex. wrote: »
    Dan Agger's aerial duels and % of duels won are far higher than I expected.

Still, defensive errors are too high.
    Get off my fúckin case already!!

jem wrote: »
    All this talk of lovren, I would prefer hummells who may be going to manu.

To be honest lovern and hummels are both very slow centre halfs
    Makes me nervous thinking about either of them playing behind Gerrard against counter attacking teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Also can somebody tell me what the Jan Molby clause is?

Basically the eating of pies is excluded from consideration in any dietary regieme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Hummels and Thiago Silva had no defensive errors judging from that sample size.

I would be delighted with Isco we would be stacked with attacking midfielders. The guy is pure quality. he played 53 games for Real Madrid last season so I doubt he is going anywhere even with the arrival of James.

We have more pressing needs in defence and competition for Gerrard but if there is a chance of buying quality like Isco then you don't turn your nose up at it. If he is available we should buy and Real get can stick in a buy back clause like they have with Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

0028673 wrote: »

I would be delighted with Isco we would be stacked with attacking midfielders. The guy is pure quality. he played 53 games for Real Madrid last season so I doubt he is going anywhere even with the arrival of James.

We have more pressing needs in defence and competition for Gerrard but if there is a chance of buying quality like Isco then you don't turn your nose up at it. If he is available we should buy and Real get can stick in a buy back clause like they have with Morata.

That Morata buy back clause struck me as a bit dumb. Basically Madrid want you to develop their player for them more or less for free. The buy back has a max of +10million but in 5 years that likely to be less than the rate of transfer fee inflation. Surprised anyone would go for it on less than a very top player tbh.

Madrid seem far better than barca at getting value for their players.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

kfallon wrote: »
    Early hours of Thurs morning job, is it?

Yeah, 12:30 am I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

tritium wrote: »
    That Morata buy back clause struck me as a bit dumb. Basically Madrid want you to develop their player for them more or less for free. The buy back has a max of +10million but in 5 years that likely to be less than the rate of transfer fee inflation. Surprised anyone would go for it on less than a very top player tbh.

Moratas clause is only for two season, the 2nd season its a 35mill buy back so id be very surprised if he returns. A decent young striker but id be fairly certain madrid will buy in 1 if not 2 better strikers in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

tritium wrote: »

The thing is Madrid hold all the cards. With Morata the fee was €22m which is only slightly above what Sunderland offered us for Borini. Juventus will get one of the best strikers in the World for his age, he will probably bang in the goals for a couple of years and if he does well ( and being Spanish and all) and if Madrid come knocking he will want to go back and Juve will have made a marginal profit in the deal.

The pinnacle for any Spanish player is playing for Barca or Real Madrid, the benefit for the likes of Juve is getting a World Class talent for a few years who can be the difference in winning titles or not.

That is why I would not be opposed to Real Madrid sticking in buy back clause I think it would lower the initial fee, obviously I would prefer if there was no buy back clause but I can't see them being that foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Isco on loan? Well, unless there's an option to buy, then this is a complete waste of time. Also, if we're looking at bringing him in, then I think his most effective position is in the AM role. What becomes of Coutinho in that case? We're not spending big money on Markovic to leave him on the bench. Likewise, we for Lallana. With Sturridge's scoring record and with Sterling finishing the season as one of our best players, Rodgers has a serious headache on who starts.

Perhaps I will be shown to be wrong, but the Isco speculation seems like the press putting 2 and 2 together. I know there will be extra games this season, but even with that, we can't turn around to Coutinho and tell him that he'll only be starting about 10 games a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Isco on loan? Well, unless there's an option to buy, then this is a complete waste of time. Also, if we're looking at bringing him in, then I think his most effective position is in the AM role. What becomes of Coutinho in that case? We're not spending big money on Markovic to leave him on the bench. Likewise, we for Lallana. With Sturridge's scoring record and with Sterling finishing the season as one of our best players, Rodgers has a serious headache on who starts.

I'd be ok with adding Isco to his headache. Better than the headache of who to bring on, Alberto or Aspas, that he had last season. Hopefully we'll be having a lot more games this coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When you see the figures for tv rights money we miss out on so much money, that if we were playing in La Liga for example, would be worth just under 75m per season. Thats why FFP is a myth, it only vaguely applies to ring fenced associations.

Edit, thats 75m per season more than we get currently.

0028673 wrote: »

Isco vs Sterling and Coutinho
    Not a huge upgrade but would add a LOT of depth to the squad

wpifAoe.png

Really really hope we get this lad. He is yet another jordan ibe but his attitude apparently stinks. Hopefully we can fix that
    Liverpool target Zakaria Bakkali is understood to have turned down a possible move to German club Eintracht Frankfurt.
    Despite only breaking into the PSV Eindhoven first team last year, the winger has been the subject of transfer speculation all summer, with a host of clubs tracking him.
    Brendan Rodgers is believed to have made an enquiry about the teenager earlier this month, but it looked like the Reds would miss out with other club known to have made a firm bid.
    That club was Eintracht Frankfurt, but reports in Belgium claim Bakkali is considering all his options before deciding where he will play his football next season.
    PSV would like to keep the 18-year-old, who didn't make Belgium's 23-man World Cup squad, but seem prepared to sell if they receive what they feel is a fair price.

http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-League/Liverpool/Rodgers-could-yet-win-winger-race/X1Y44Z1781578?#sthash.MMHrFjcH.dpuf

Squaka is the new Kate Cohen.

How is Sterling's shot accuracy 100%? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Squaka is the new Kate Cohen.

How is Sterling's shot accuracy 100%? :pac:

I was wondering that, but wasn't confident enough in my knowledge to question it...

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    I was wondering that, but wasn't confident enough in my knowledge to question it...

J.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not commenting from a basis of fact either :pac:

Just seems far too unlikely to me.

I ran it again just there and it said his shot accuracy is 67%.
    Very odd
    Glitch in the Matrix......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I ran it again just there and it said his shot accuracy is 67%.
    Very odd
    Glitch in the Matrix......

Tank
    Taaaannnnnnnk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looksl like we are in for Atletico's young RB Manquillo .
    Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes
    As reported in the Spanish media today, Liverpool are in for Atletico Madrid's Javier Manquillo. Hoping to get him on a season long loan.

Seen him a few times for Spain & Atleti. Very attacking RB who looked a very good prospect but is very inexperienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

MD1990 wrote: »

Seen him a few times for Spain & Atleti. Very attacking RB who looked a very good prospect but is very inexperienced.

Hopefully that's a loan with an option to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

[quote="Francie Barrett;91383437". What becomes of Coutinho in that case?[/quote]

I have a capable understudy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

3FYjMgx

Awkward transfer photo of the year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Isco vs Sterling and Coutinho
    Not a huge upgrade but would add a LOT of depth to the squad

wpifAoe.png

How can anyone take these stats seriously when Sterling has a 100% shot accuracy rating and Isco has completed 100% of his passes? Load of cobblers that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

daithijjj wrote: »
    When you see the figures for tv rights money we miss out on so much money, that if we were playing in La Liga for example, would be worth just under 75m per season. Thats why FFP is a myth, it only vaguely applies to ring fenced associations.

Edit, thats 75m per season more than we get currently.

Not sure how you figure that. Nobody outside madrid and barca makes serious money off tv deals in spain. They have the monopoly and they know it. They take a massive chunk of the available money.

None of the also rans have it nearly as well in spain as the also rans in england. The spanish equivalent of aston villa would be getting a pittance compared to villa are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

So we apparently looking at Isco & Manquillo on loan while we sit on a pile of cash,keeping it for a rainy day are we :)

delw wrote: »
    So we apparently looking at Isco & Manquillo on loan while we sit on a pile of cash,keeping it for a rainy day are we :)

I think we are saving up to buy Southampton FC.
    Save us a fortune in the long term at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Nope.

We're actually buying Southampton. :D

EDIT: Damn you, Underpaid Mike! :D

Nope.

We're actually buying Southampton. :D

EDIT: Damn you, Underpaid Mike! :D

Haha great minds think alike!

*The fools seldom differ part of that saying obviously doesnt apply to us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »

Anyone over johnson. This kid couldn't be worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Was the Suarez paid up front or in installments?

Apparently the bulk of the cash will be up front
    AS reports that Liverpool will only receive about £54million of the Suarez fee up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Kirby wrote: »
    Not sure how you figure that. Nobody outside madrid and barca makes serious money off tv deals in spain. They have the monopoly and they know it. They take a massive chunk of the available money.

None of the also rans have it nearly as well in spain as the also rans in england. The spanish equivalent of aston villa would be getting a pittance compared to villa are.

It's crazy that they get away with that tbh. It gives them such an advantage over other top European clubs. An unfair one imo.

I think 'The Suarez' will be paid weekly or monthly until his time at Barca ends. ;)

"Will only receive about £54million".

Only.

Jaysus.

"Will only receive about £54million".

Only.

Jaysus.

Yup, but judging off previous reports of Barca's transfer dealings who knows when we will be seeing the last 21mill or whatever it is.

mormank wrote: »
    Yup, but judging off previous reports of Barca's transfer dealings who knows when we will be seeing the last 21mill or whatever it is.

Guess is we will never see it we will be offered some fringe player to settle it. We did well to get 54m upfront, real are paying spurs for bale in 20m installments.

mormank wrote: »

Ah let them keep the 21m and we will take Pedro and Afellay instead

Ah let them keep the 21m and we will take Pedro and Afellay instead

Afellay is 28 now! I couldn't believe it when I looked him up yesterday whilst discussing potential transfers with friends. I'm not sure I would want him anymore. Looks like another career wasted by one of those two big Spanish clubs.

Koeman, saying no fresh bid from us for Lovren. All the reliable lads are reporting we have had a bid accepted, is Koeman just posturing for the supporters and making it look like they are trying to keep Lovren?

On Lovren I'm not a fan of his conduct forcing the move out of Southampton after only a year there but I can see his point on them having zero ambition. The manager, Shaw, Lambert, Lallana and possibly Schneiderlin will have left.

Lovren, Lallana there stock may never be higher so to secure a move to a prestigious club like Liverpool and play in the CL is something they cant turn down as the opportunity may never present itself again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement