Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

niallo27 wrote: »
    You said the club though. I would think luis Suarez has made liverpool a fortune commercially.

There are limits you know.

Sponsorship is all about image and I think Suarez is damaged goods after this.

I don't understand this constant defending of him just because he plays for Liverpool.

He earns about £200k a week to play football for Liverpool and he's banned a lot of the time. That's not right and he is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I was of the opinion that suarez would definetly be gone to barca/ real this summer as he is the best player in the world outside the players at those clubs. I cant see him moving now and come next summer he will be 28 and those clubs may have someone else in their sights then. He misses 9 league games but I can see him staying with liverpool for the foreseeable future now. He is a nut job but Ill be delighted if he stays now as there is nobody in the league as good as him and he will still probably play as many league games as the likes of rvp and aguero. The key thing is now that sturridge stays fit for the first 2 months of the season. Just back from the world cup myself, was outside the stadium in natal trying to get a ticket for the uruguay italy game but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

murpho999 wrote: »

Partly about image, and partly about exposure. And hey, his bad boy persona ties in nicely with Warrior's branding...

I think the sponsorship thing is overblown. More than any other player in the world, Suarez is pure box-office, and that'll attract interest and sponsorship.

Partly about image, and partly about exposure. And hey, his bad boy persona ties in nicely with Warrior's branding...

I think the sponsorship thing is overblown. More than any other player in the world, Suarez is pure box-office, and that'll attract interest and sponsorship.

Yes as companies love to have their brand associated with perceived cheaters and racists and now a proven serial biter.

No doubt Colgate are ringing him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes as companies love to have their brand associated with perceived cheaters and racists and now a proven serial biter.

Racism is one thing, but I don't think the biting will really turn companies off him. Check out the reaction to Zidane's headbutt:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/media/2006-07-11-zidane-ads_x.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't understand this constant defending of him just because he plays for Liverpool.

He earns about £200k a week to play football for Liverpool and he's banned a lot of the time. That's not right and he is responsible.

I understand he is a liability, I can hear where your coming from. Just for me personally the good still outweighs the madness of the man. Winning is more important to me than image,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

That ludicrous, mike Tyson still sponsors infinite, so do plenty of other bad boys. Sure some companies might bail bit others will replace them. Tiger still makes a few bob from them too.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That ludicrous, mike Tyson still sponsors infinite, so do plenty of other bad boys. Sure some companies might bail bit others will replace them. Tiger still makes a few bob from them too.

You're talking about individuals not a club.

Tiger did nothing more than have a row with his wife and bang a few birds.

None of it on TV and no one knows if he wore his Nike gear.

Suarez has damaged brand Liverpool publically on TV in very unsavoury ways.
    I don't understand that people don't get this.

Also, make no mistake that I think Suarez is the best player we have ever had but this can't be allowed to go on. Also, he could still do it again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Gbear wrote: »
    There's a far better argument for axing someone like that who really endangers opponents than there is for Suarez' lunacy.
    HIV?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Seriously Aguero, why are you bothering with the other thread? You know what some of them are like away from this place. Wasting your time.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If sponsors cancel contracts with Suarez and potentially Liverpool, new sponsors will show up. Not a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

You're talking about individuals not a club.

Tiger did nothing more than have a row with his wife and bang a few birds.

None of it on TV and no one knows if he wore his Nike gear.

Suarez has damaged brand Liverpool publically on TV in very unsavoury ways.
    I don't understand that people don't get this.

Also, make no mistake that I think Suarez is the best player we have ever had but this can't be allowed to go on. Also, he could still do it again,

I really don't think he's damaged the clubs image tho. He's damaged his own. It's not like people think we're a club full of cannibals. The Evra thing may have damaged the clubs image a bit but that's in the past. We have employees who's job it is to make us look good as a club. That's not suarezs job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He'll learn his lesson this time, I tell ya..

Can't see him doing it a forth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Colgate will be in as a sponsor :D

DINO_6647036_34457089A.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

niallo27 wrote: »
    I understand he is a liability, I can hear where your coming from. Just for me personally the good still outweighs the madness of the man. Winning is more important to me than image,

And winning has just become that bit harder to come by. He's out for the first 2 months of a season that has a harder PL start than last year, with the small issue of the CL thrown in too.

Fifa have ****ed us, but we can't put up with this anymore. If he does something equally mad again, it doesn't even have to be a bite, then he's looking at a 6 month ban at least.

If a club is stupid enough this summer to offer ridiculous cash then we should sell. I'd take £60m at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hitchens wrote: »
    HIV?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

There are some terrible terrible posters in that Suarez thread

I hope they are just keyboard warriors. I would question humanity if I met people whose grasp of logic in real life matched the stuff I'm reading in that thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Garay just signed for Zenit for 6M. Would've been a great buy at that price

That is just what Benfica get as they only had 40% ownership, it's £12M.

Still, I would have loved him. On savage wages I bet!

I wish they had allowed him to finish the WC at least, you'd see worse incidents in the schoolyard ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

x43r0 wrote: »

I hope they are just keyboard warriors. I would question humanity if I met people whose grasp of logic in real life matched the stuff I'm reading in that thread

Haven't been in the thread but as I said yesterday the most vocal posters could have been named as soon as the incident happened. Faux outrage at it's finest.

However while I am often critical of the mods, to have one thread to attract them all to the one place was a good move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Seriously Aguero, why are you bothering with the other thread? You know what some of them are like away from this place. Wasting your time.
    x43r0 wrote: »

Leave the Suarez thread and its arguments and its posters in it. Don't bring them across to this thread and don't backseat moderate it from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He'll learn his lesson this time, I tell ya..

Can't see him doing it a forth time.

challenge-accepted.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

But he makes up for it in the games he does play. Top scorer in the PL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

So if the appeal doesn't go Uruguay's way ( which probably won't) can Fifa make the punishment worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

dfx- wrote: »
    Leave the Suarez thread and its arguments and its posters in it. Don't bring them across to this thread and don't backseat moderate it from this thread.

I'm not backseat modding at all. I pity the work the mods have on their hands with this sh1tstorm. I wouldn't fancy it

Having it all in that thread was a masterstroke from you guys - fair play

delw wrote: »
    So if the appeal doesn't go Uruguay's way ( which probably won't) can Fifa make the punishment worse
    can't be extended so Uruguay or LS have nothing to lose by appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Hitchens wrote: »
    can't be extended so Uruguay or LS have nothing to lose by appealing

Of course it can. FIFA can ban him for up to 2 years if they want to.. A spurious appeal could have them double it. The FA increase bans when appeals are rejected and seeing how FIFA are making this up as they go along who knows how far they'd go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

Great piece written before the WC thought needed to be linked again, as most would have read already. Sums up the warrior Luis Suarez (literally in his mind) becomes when on a football pitch.

Of course it can. FIFA can ban him for up to 2 years if they want to.. A spurious appeal could have them double it. The FA increase bans when appeals are rejected and seeing how FIFA are making this up as they go along who knows how far they'd go
    according to Billo they can't up it

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Wasn't expecting Saurez to be a Liverpool player next season so don't see the banned games as a loss to us.

The loss to us now I think will be his value. Surely 20 mill less now. .think any club be mad to buy him till January's window. Be mad to buy a player that cant even train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I said it yesterday that his best course of action was to come out as humble as possible with an apology while also stating that he'd work on this side of his temprement.

It may have softened FIFA's cough abit and thus thier ban.

Ridiculous response from Uruguay and Suarez has landed them in this mess now. Appealing seem futile now I think. The time to act wisely was before the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think we can all agree, the Uruguayan FA is a little... mental.

Knex. wrote: »
    I think we can all agree, the Uruguayan FA is a little... mental.

Obviously they haven't thought about their brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I hope the club come out and support him, blame the English media etch nd FIFA etc, help build that siege mentality and through that, strengthen his loyalty to the club.

The lad is a nut job, and fully deserving of the ban he got. However, even banned for ten games a season, he'll still contribute more than any other player the club could hope to attract. His value will have diminished on the back of this incident, so selling would be daft.

I'd also speculate that while his actions won't help his marketability, the eyes of the world will be on him next season, and increased tv audiences do drive revenues.

People talk about the reputation of the club etc, but the real damage in that regard was done with the Evra incident. That made him look nasty as oppose to just crazy, and nasty will damage reputations far more then 'crazy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I did post 12 games including club football last night, minimum. The English Fa would be in agreement and wouldn't kick up a fuss. He'll miss the WC, the defence of the Copa, first 3 games of the CL and its about double the English game ban last season. LOL at Adidas and 888Poker, yeah the third bite really crossed the boundary in getting paid millions and worldwide TV ad campaigns. Oh, we'll just wait till the WC is over first though till we take our moral stand.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Can LFC lodge an appeal in the hope of getting the ban reduced to international only?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I hope the club come out and support him, blame the English media etch nd FIFA etc, help build that siege mentality and through that, strengthen his loyalty to the club.

'.

YNWA and all that yes, but I really hope the club don't do the above.

I hope we support him in that we get our top brass to do their best to reduce the impact and reduce the PL ban, and get him all the help/theraphy he needs...that's about as much I would do for him.
    No big public displays of support, no siege mentality, or to be seen to be circling the wagons.

Does everyone deserve a 4th chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The lad is a nut job, and fully deserving of the ban he got. However, even banned for ten games a season, he'll still contribute more than any other player the club could hope to attract. His value will have diminished on the back of this incident, so selling would be daft.

I'd also speculate that while his actions won't help his marketability, the eyes of the world will be on him next season, and increased tv audiences do drive revenues.

People talk about the reputation of the club etc, but the real damage in that regard was done with the Evra incident. That made him look nasty as oppose to just crazy, and nasty will damage reputations far more then 'crazy'.

Actually looking at the wording of his punishment, we could still be feeling the impact of it after the ban ends.

The wording suggests that there may be issues with registering him for certain competitions whilst banned, so there may be a risk that he cannot be registered for our CL campaign at first, and we may have to wait until the latter round of registration (assuming we are still in the CL at that point) for him to be able to be added to our CL squad.

I might be way off base with this, but it could potentially be a case of us not being able to play our best player in CL games until after the group stages (again assuming we stay in the comp)

Do not want the club trying for a siege mentality thing though. Low profile and get him whatever help he needs (again) would be my approach. I

The problem long term here lads is the risk has gone up substantially. If something happens again, and come on its Suarez, the club are looking at a 6 month ban minimum, a season very possible. So while he'll probably score 20 plus goals anyway, the risk has just increased massively, despite the club obviously working hard with him on his behaviour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually looking at the wording of his punishment, we could still be feeling the impact of it after the ban ends.

The wording suggests that there may be issues with registering him for certain competitions whilst banned, so there may be a risk that he cannot be registered for our CL campaign at first, and we may have to wait until the latter round of registration (assuming we are still in the CL at that point) for him to be able to be added to our CL squad.

I might be way off base with this, but it could potentially be a case of us not being able to play our best player in CL games until after the group stages (again assuming we stay in the comp)

I read about the administration ban and I am putting it down to another oversight by FIFA.

Don't forget they had to go off and consult about the possibility of making transfers during the ban before giving a definitive answer.

but again this is FIFA we are on about.

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem long term here lads is the risk has gone up substantially. If something happens again, and come on its Suarez, the club are looking at a 6 month ban minimum, a season very possible. So while he'll probably score 20 plus goals anyway, the risk has just increased massively, despite the club obviously working hard with him on his behaviour.

He is closer to a lifetime ban than 6 month or year imo if there is another serious incident.

He is a massive liability now and I'm sure insuring the fella will be a more expensive procedure than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blame fifa? A siege mentality? Would you listen to yourself. Not one single player is bigger than this club you would do well to remember that.

They should public condemn him and then sort it out behind close doors wet her that is helping him or moving him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I read about the administration ban and I am putting it down to another oversight by FIFA.

Don't forget they had to go off and consult about the possibility of making transfers during the ban before giving a definitive answer.

but again this is FIFA we are on about.

It caught my eye because it could potentially open an avenue for another problem for Liverpool FC. Now maybe they have gone into more detail on what exactly the administrative ban means and have allowed for things like player registration in multi country competitions like the CL, but my worry would by that it is left vague enough to cause further complications down the line.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    YNWA and all that yes, but I really hope the club don't do the above.

I hope we support him in that we get our top brass to do their best to reduce the impact and reduce the PL ban, and get him all the help/theraphy he needs...that's about as much I would do for him.
    No big public displays of support, no siege mentality, or to be seen to be circling the wagons.

Does everyone deserve a 4th chance?

It's not about deserving a second/third/fourth chance. Its about what's best for the club on the pitch

Administration seems a weird thing to say, if it doesn't cover transfers. I'd have thought Liverpool could register him for CL, he'll miss 3 games so its their call. Had to laugh at it not affecting a transfer, Fifa getting their priorities right!

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Do not want the club trying for a siege mentality thing though. Low profile and get him whatever help he needs (again) would be my approach. I

A siege mentality isn't ideal, but I'm thinking in terms of keeping him at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is all actually Hodgson's fault.

if he wasn't so fúcking shíte, Uruguay would've lost agsinst England, Uruguay would've had nothing to play for and Suarez wouldn't have lost it out of frustration.

yup, Roy's fault.

poor Luis.

It's not about deserving a second/third/fourth chance. Its about what's best for the club on the pitch

Sorry man that was my point.

The club has done it's bit and will continue to do so, but it needs to be behind closed doors and really no public displays of defiance etc

I hate to get all corny when I reference that it really is all about the crest on the front and not the name on the back when it comes to Luis Suarez from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

reports this evening that shaquiri deal is close. 95000 pounds a week, 5 year deal.

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is all actually Hodgson's fault.

if he wasn't so fúcking shíte, Uruguay would've lost agsinst England, Uruguay would've had nothing to play for and Suarez wouldn't have lost it out of frustration.

yup, Roy's fault.

poor Luis.

You know one of them are going to take this seriously, right?? And punch you in the head for hours.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement