Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

10380201_10152703913802573_3073557104904234409_o.jpg

10575245_10152703914062573_3721939492840826049_o.jpg

10562612_10152703914542573_6820129173169673484_o.jpg

10484497_10152703914912573_6876186223656371946_n.jpg?oh=e8e0ae89eebd3ece0b99d6d67a7b6152&oe=544452D1&__gda__=1414780590_4611e7af68a63f8296732e4efc35006b

10485210_10152703915552573_6161521515034396181_o.jpg

10344419_10152703915582573_5665767424366753947_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I was a fan of Glen Johnson but I have lost patience with the lad. The reason I give him grief is that he has a ton of ability and for whatever reason his form has nose dived these past 18 months. When every player was buzzing last season he was sloppy in everything he did. I think Rodgers said he was playing through an injury so I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but his performances have been consistently poor for too long. Might be wrong here but he was immense against United in Anfield, I would love to see him in good form again but we need legitimate competition if he can't raise his game.

I know nothing about Manquillo but he is young and very inexperienced and unlikely to challenge Johnson for a starting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Liverpool looking at even more attack minded players for RB/LB.

No sign of a true DM on the horizon

Sahko/ Agger/ Skrtel are sure going to earn their money next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ah now jaysus. :eek:

Johnson has been frustrating, but the main reason he's been so is because he has shown in brief periods that he clearly still has what it takes to play at this level and play well.

TBH, I don't think Johnson's problem is lack of trying or care, I just think for whatever reason his head just isn't in it far too often unfortunately.

^^^^ This is the reason why GlenJo should not be allowed play in the first team. For all his ( on the wane) ability, he appears to not give a fcuk when he loses the ball. Either he doesn't have the pace or more worryingly the interest to track back. Some of his decision making in the last season was muck, schoolboys would have been better at times.

Yes, he played well for us initially, but for the last two seasons he has been very poor. Whether it gets blamed on not being fully fit, being played out of position or whatever, he should be only a third choice back up until his contract runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gafferino wrote: »
    10485210_10152703915552573_6161521515034396181_o.jpg

"Have you seen that gif? Ye'er all in the background, and I'm out in front twisting my nipples like this"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The moment Lucas found out he's going on loan to Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

johnson is gash. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think Johnson gets more criticism than he deserves as a result of his stature (England's first-choice RB) and the fact that he's earning a small fortune. His reputation as a defender has suffered greatly because he's encouraged to make runs from deep and is often 'missing' when moves break down and we get counter-attacked, and when he makes mistakes they tend to be on the obvious, glaring side, and are easily picked up on, leading to the myth that he can't defend.

He's often naive and makes too many wrong decisions when in advanced positions but he's still more than decent on his day. Anyone who thinks a 20yo with 5 league starts for Atletico is immediately going to be an improvement on him will be disappointed, but I do think the competition will be good for Johnson. If he reaches a point near his best we'll see a marked improvement in the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

lk8Hc5Cl.jpg

This is the greatest post in the history of all web forums
    Well played sir, well fúcking played!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't think Johnson suits the way we play any more as we don't have someone like Masch or Lucas covering the RB when he goes forward.

Since Johnson came back from his injury, he tanks out in the last 15 minutes of a game. Dead on his feet.

He had a few games where he ran his ass off, but his final delivery was poor, yet he was always an outlet. And then in final few minutes his body packed it in. He got slated harshly for those games.

He then had a few more games whereby he was lethargic with the ball in attacking positions, and laboursome in his passing and touch. Most noticeable, was just after Christmas, and the final couple games of the season.

I still think he's "grand", but I do think we can improve on him. I don't think he'll be as poor as last season, however. I like the idea of bringing in youth alongside him, and letting them battle it out for a while, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

BenThere wrote: »
    I think this deal is a very sensible one. It puts pressure on Johnson to perform this season. Lot's of guys in the last year of their contract throw a strop if they aren't offered another mega bucks contract and end up doing the minimum possible/protecting themselves whilst they concentrate on trying to get a deal elsewhere. Having a hungry young RB understudy will prevent the club being held hostage by Johnson. If Johnson plays well and earns a new contract at wages reflective of his age/form it's a win win for everyone but if he's not happy with the contract offered by the club or loses form we have a back up who will hopefully grab his chance with both hands and if he performs we have an option to buy at a sensible price.

A great deal all round.

Ben

Thats all pretty sensible. The only query Id have is whether we could/should have offered that back up slot to Wisdom this year instead of loaning him. Although if he gets a lot of playing time at West Brom its a non issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lk8Hc5Cl.jpg

I nearly would use it as my sig.

In stitches at Saville and the Goose. I'm going to hell.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

brevity wrote: »
    I don't think Johnson suits the way we play any more as we don't have someone like Masch or Lucas covering the RB when he goes forward.

And yet we continue to be linked with with attacking players in that position and to not be linked with covering defensive midfielder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

So Manquillo is known in Spain as Manqui?

I think we can all agree that henceforth he shall be known as Manky.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Luckycharms, he can't start a winning match thread to save his life, but he sure as hell knows how to photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

skywalker wrote: »
    Thats all pretty sensible. The only query Id have is whether we could/should have offered that back up slot to Wisdom this year instead of loaning him. Although if he gets a lot of playing time at West Brom its a non issue.

Exactly. Wisdom on loan at WBA should = lot's of games and enough premier league experience to step into Johnsons shoes next year if Johnson leaves (with Manquillo competing for the RB spot also) or preferably in another year or two if Johnson does enough to keep the spot for a couple of years by which time he is 32 and Wisdom and Manquillo are ready made replacements.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Knex. wrote: »
    In fairness to Luckycharms, he can't start a winning match thread to save his life, but he sure as hell knows how to photoshop.

I just hope he remembered to delete his browsing history :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I just hope he remembered to delete his browsing history :pac:

Private Browsing FTW :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That could only be improved by sticking in the chickatee from hangballlouie's masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Son is mad keen on a Sakho shirt for this season but I'm not convinced he will stick with #17 esp if Kolo leaves... Anybody got any inkling as to the chances of both happening?

Would hate to buy it and have him wearing #4 in a mth... is there a cut off date after which the player cannot change number anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Speaking of Shirt numbers, not sure if anyone posted it as I've been away for a week but Lambert is gonna wear No.9 next year so No.7 is still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

tritium wrote: »
    And yet we continue to be linked with with attacking players in that position and to not be linked with covering defensive midfielder

I suppose any new RB would hopefully be quicker getting back into defence than Johnson thus negating the need for a DM to cover that position.

EDIT: Either way, I do think we need covering defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The more I think about Lovren, the more I think it'd be a great deal for us, especially when you see a 30-year-old like Matieu go for €20m. There seems to be a lack of quality defenders available and I reckon he'd fit right in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The more I think about Lovren, the more I think it'd be a great deal for us, especially when you see a 30-year-old like Matieu go for €20m. There seems to be a lack of quality defenders available and I reckon he'd fit right in.

If Rodgers believes lovren is the right center back for LFC then just sit down southampton and sort it out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren was the best CB in the PL last year before ankle injury & he lost form for a few games after that. An excellent defender who I would have no problem if we payed 20m for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I actually think Johnson might have a return to form this season for no other reason than it is a contract year for him. So he has to impress to have any chance of getting any kind of new contract from Liverpool or to put himself in the shop window for others.

I think Liverpool have already decided to move on from him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Good scouting report on Moreno who looks increasingly like our new left back once the fee gets hammered out
    http://www.cravingfootball.co.uk/scouting-report-alberto-moreno.html

Here is the verdict on him
    Both Liverpool and Spurs have struggled in finding a reliable, defensively sound but attack minded left-back. The former have tried, and failed, with Jose Enrique and Aly Cissokho, while the latter have had to make do with Danny Rose. So, if the rumoured £16m valuation of a 21 year-old Spanish international is to be believed, Moreno would be a fantastic addition at a cut-price. In time, his defending nous will improve and, growing into his body, his upper body strength and ability to hold off players will develop. Fast and agile, Moreno is, without a doubt, a shoo-in for Spain's left-back role for years to come.

MD1990 wrote: »

Would be exciting but I think the Express is not very reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Some of the french papers are reporting the Remy deal as done - 5yr deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just curious, do you think he would choose liverpool over man utd or madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

hefferboi wrote: »
    Can't actually believe people are defending Johnson. Johnson wouldn't even defend Johnson because Johnson can't fcuking defend!

He used to be good going forward, used to be alright defensively but this season alone he's been absolute muck in every game bar maybe 2 at most where he was average. Maybe Inwas watching different games to ye but every time I saw him he seemed to give away the ball high up the pitch, get caught out of position and looked liked he just didn't give a single fcuk.

I wouldn't have him in the squad if he was paying us to play him, and that's no exaggeration. He's gone to cole/downing/Moses levels of hate for me, where I actually can't bear to look at him strolling around the place anymore.

And I usually give anyone who plays for us all the time in the world to get it right but Johnson just boils my blood after the season he's had.

Clouds judgment does hate.

Just curious, do you think he would choose liverpool over man utd or madrid?
    Madrid won't be signing him they are overloaded in CM. I could see Vidal choosing Liverpool instead of Man Utd as we have CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ah now jaysus. :eek:

Johnson has been frustrating, but the main reason he's been so is because he has shown in brief periods that he clearly still has what it takes to play at this level and play well.

Whereas with the likes of Cole, the chap not only didn't give a bollix, I'd question if he even had any ability left to contribute at this level. Moses, also didn't give a crap and well, was crap anyway.

Never really had a problem with Downing, he eventually knuckled down, he just wasn't good enough in the end.

TBH, I don't think Johnson's problem is lack of trying or care, I just think for whatever reason his head just isn't in it far too often unfortunately.

And lets just forget about the fact that he was playing injured for a period.
    Cold hard facts, He's only 30 with a year left, those who believe he doesn't care should believe he'll want a move next summer = lots of effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Good lad, Iago, a better defender than an attacker

apparently, Remy is taking a paycut to join us of €20k a week.

QPR are hilarious. i'd love to take a gander at their wage bill.

retalivity wrote: »
    Good lad, Iago, a better defender than an attacker

not really.

he'd have a point if Luis had actually gone to jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Iago is a goddamn hero. There's no way two ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Madrid won't be signing him they are overloaded in CM. I could see Vidal choosing Liverpool instead of Man Utd as we have CL football.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it. United are still the more attractive option in my opinion. Big name players, big name manager, higher wages, bigger crowds, a vastly superior recent history. One season under an inept manager doesn't just wipe all that away.
    Liverpool have just sold their only huge asset and are by no means guaranteed to be in the top 4 next season.

I don't think he will go to either club but if it came down to a choice between the 2 I'd be lumping on him choosing United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Vidal would like most footballers go to whoever gives him the most money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

For the sake of 6/8 matches? Thats very short sighted. Its a lazy cop out.

Man utd will be back in the cl next year but will Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Do you have tonight's winning lotto numbers spare buy any chance as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Do you have tonight's lotto numbers spare buy any chance as well?

I was about to ask the same, I'd take the euromillions though. I'm greedy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Big question marks over both clubs to be honest. I certainly wouldn't have United or Liverpool nailed on for top 4.

When's the CL draw anyway? Is it after the next qualifier round?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Vidal would like most footballers go to whoever gives him the most money.

What he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Depends what draw we get in the group stages!

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it. United are still the more attractive option in my opinion. Big name players, big name manager, higher wages, bigger crowds, a vastly superior recent history. One season under an inept manager doesn't just wipe all that away.
    Liverpool have just sold their only huge asset and are by no means guaranteed to be in the top 4 next season.

I don't think he will go to either club but if it came down to a choice between the 2 I'd be lumping on him choosing United.
    More likely Liverpool will be top 4 than Man Utd atm. We have players who are improving unlike some of Man Utd players who are on the decline. CL football os critical for most of the top players. Look at Sanchez for example Man Utd never had a chance of signing him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement