Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

City and Chelsea are the 2 I cant see finishing out of the top 4. The rest are up for grabs imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

SlickRic wrote: »
    apparently, Remy is taking a paycut to join us of €20k a week.

QPR are hilarious. i'd love to take a gander at their wage bill.

If Atleti are anything to go by, it's more than enough for them to win the league next season.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Vidal would like most footballers go to whoever gives him the most money.

Madrid and Barca are a much bigger draw to most European and South American players I'd imagine.

Madrid are the biggest club in the world. If they want someone they usually get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

For the sake of 6/8 matches? Thats very short sighted. Its a lazy cop out.

Man utd will be back in the cl next year but will Liverpool?
    No they won't. Man Utd finished 7th don't u remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

If liverpool signed Vidal they would be in the CL next season simple as that.
    He is one of the top 5 central midfielders on the planet, scores goals and gets assists despite being a central midfielder. He is the complete package and would take liverpools already formidable midfield to the next level.
    Wages also wouldnt be an issue considering Suarez was supposedly on 200k a week
    So you can argue the pros and cons of living in manchester v living in liverpool or the clubs history over 30 years v 5 years etc etc but the crux of the matter is neither city is London, neither club will win the premiership most likely this year so huge nights in the CL should be enough to attract him the Liverpool assuming he open to it which apparently he is.

Most likely though this is all BS and is simply his agent trying to build up interest for him before he goes and gets a new whopper contract from Juve.

As a liverpool fan it would be brilliant if he joined, huge step up in class and could play anywhere in our midfield 3. Is he what we need right now ? Answer would have to be no, we need two full backs and at least a centre half far more desperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

rarnes1 wrote: »
    When's the CL draw anyway? Is it after the next qualifier round?

Aug 28th according to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Do you have tonight's winning lotto numbers spare buy any chance as well?

So Liverpool can jump from 6th to 2nd and will stay there?

But the most dominant team in recent history back with a proper manager cant go back to their their usual spot or very close to that?
    plus mata, shaw, a new cm and whoever else comes with all the old lads gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

[QUOTE=MD1990;91402110]No they won't. Man Utd finished 7th don't u remember.[/QUOTE]
    Oh yes they will...:pac:

Well they are so much better than us that without that accursed distraction of the CL they should have the season wrapped up before christmas.

We could only go from 7th to 2nd. They will, without a doubt, go from 7th to first.

No pressure, like:p

MD1990 wrote: »
    No they won't. Man Utd finished 7th don't u remember.

Oh ya sorry, we will stay there next season and ye can finish second again.

Totally forgot how this works.

Man utd will do a lot better than 7th and Liverpool will do a worse than 2nd. the man who won ye games on his own is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

But the most dominant team in recent history back with a proper manager cant go back to their their usual spot or very close to that?

If ye don't at least win the league, ye'll have bottled the season, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

AC didn't make any such guarantees about Liverpool, you did with Man United however. The way I see it, no-one can be absolutely guarantee anything in regards to the top 4 as IMO, the days of the those positions being hold by a monopoly are gone.

Van Gaal isnt a miracle worker. Man Utd defence is poor & is still lacking pace in the final third. Liverpool have players who are improving Sturridge,Sterling,Coutinho,Henderson,Lallana are all players who have improved alot in the last 2 years. It will be close but I think Liverpool are still ahead of Man Utd atm.

Any Liverpool news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Will Shaw cover the entire back 4? Rooney plays in Mata's position and this new CM hasn't arrived just yet.

UTD have money and are a huge club but they have their own problems. Van Gaal has a tough time ahead.

AC didn't make any such guarantees about Liverpool, you did with Man United however. The way I see it, no-one can be absolutely guarantee anything in regards to the top 4 as IMO, the days of the those positions being hold by a monopoly are gone.

If Man utd dont finish in the top 4 I will eat my own face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn't make any statement of fact about Liverpool finishing in the top 4 next season.

You on the other hand did about utd!

So I guessed you could see into the future hence asking for the winning lotto numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Better make sure of top 3 just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Oh ya sorry, we will stay there next season and ye can finish second again.

Totally forgot how this works.

Man utd will do a lot better than 7th and Liverpool will do a worse than 2nd. the man who won ye games on his own is gone.

If there was a single person responsible for our amazing season , trust me he's still at the club.

What, the same one you ate last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

hang on, surely us arsenal fans can be guaranteed 4th! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Bookmarked :p

Well you could look at it this way too
    Liverpool 3rd year into a new system, with players comfortable and a manger who is now the third most experienced in the league. Have lost their main goal scorer but have 5 of the leagues 15 most creative players in their squad (gerrard, lallana, lambert, sturridge, sterling). Goals unlikely to be an issue
    Instead we need a new full back and cover at centre half. No reason to think we cant at least maintain a top 4 position this season if we shore up our defence even just a little.

Looking at united.
    Lost 3 of their back 4 which won all those premierships. Lost giggs.
    Signed Fellani who has been a disaster, Mata who plays the same role as Rooney and they didnt need. Need an entire back 4, need at least 1 if not 2 central midfielders now that carrick is out for 3 months. Need 1 if not 2 backup strikers given hernandez will most likely leave and Wellbeck is being turned into a winger rather than an understudy for RVP.
    United could see 10-12 players come into the squad and a new manager with a different and more pragmatic style than players are used to.
    They could hit the ground running and they could finish top 4. More likely is they struggle for a few months like most clubs do initially under a new manager with a new squad and have a decent second half of the season.

What I will say is to take a non biased approach to this Paddy power have United 1/2 to finish top 4 this season while they have Liverpool 4/5.
    Bookies are wrong from time to time but more often they get things right.
    Rest of the transfer window will be very interesting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Hmmmm, I doubt the sincerity of this. There's only one man that can ensure this happens......
    Hannibal-Mads-Mikkelsen-dons-some-fancy-plastic-clothes-for-Buffet-Froid-600x400.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    Half his face is gone. Its why he calls himself Gowlasaurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Well next season is going to be fun by the looks of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Look at Sanchez for example Man Utd never had a chance of signing him.

Lol. He snubbed Liverpool for a team that are consistently in the CL. That's a poor example :)

Try look at it objectively. Say for example Everton had finished top 4, would you think he would be more likely to go there than United? It's not all about having CL, it obviously helps. Spurs didn't have world class players lining up for them the year they qualified.

I'm off out for a bit I'll reply later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sure we will always have you to pop in and remind us anyway if we forget!

Knex. wrote: »

What? I wasnt here last year?

Next year will be fun anyway.

Maybe I am being biased and dismissing Liverpool, but the loss of saurez is huge .

I'm having plenty of fun already.

Lol. He snubbed Liverpool for a team that are consistently in the CL. That's a poor example :)

Try look at it objectively. Say for example Everton had finished top 4, would you think he would be more likely to go there than United? It's not all about having CL, it obviously helps. Spurs didn't have world class players lining up for them the year they qualified.

I'm off out for a bit I'll reply later.

Exactly, having CL dosent mean players are foaming at the gash for the team who got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Exactly, having CL dosent mean players are foaming at the gash for the team who got in.
    Didn't know we were in for Marta :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

More likely Liverpool will be top 4 than Man Utd atm. We have players who are improving unlike some of Man Utd players who are on the decline. CL football os critical for most of the top players. Look at Sanchez for example Man Utd never had a chance of signing him.

I must have missed all of the uber world class players playing for Copenhagen in the CL last season

How many times are you going to use this argument and be shown it's wrong before you realise it?

I must have missed all of the uber world class players playing for Copenhagen in the CL last season

How many times are you going to use this argument and be shown it's wrong before you realise it?

If Copenhagen had the financial clout to match any of the bigger teams in Europe, rest assured they'd have a few.

For your average player, money and CL matter. After that, location, or maybe recent history, and way, way down the list, your overall history. There's variables here, of course, such as money shows you can sign many players, and therefore have a team that is capable of getting into the CL and competing for trophies. Recent history, could be like Arsenal being consistently in the CL.

Most players in Europe didn't even know Manchester had another team until recent years. Some again didn't even know before the Club tried to sign them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

With these little nuggets of nothingness we are pretty much guaranteed and ongoing dribblefest of "my club is better than your club" playground dirt.

I find it other fans opinions on Liverpool interesting if you can find anyone who has the ability to rise above the emotive playground stuff. Hen's teeth unfortunately. After a while you realise who the baiters are and who the people who like to discuss football, players and tactics are.

As far as Man U are concerned, I think it will be facinating to watch them this year. We know they will be tactically innovative, and we know the LVG sometimes comes with a learning curve. Big season for RVP who had a poor season and WC. If LVG emulates his dutch team we'll be looking at him + one up front, can rooney play the role that robben did? Mata can play the role that Schneider did for sure, probably better. Certainly needs more quality at CB if he will play with 3 cbs and will need more at RB. Interesting times ahead.

Liverpool have a system which suited them last year, I suspect that we might tweak it again, we moved from being a possession based team to a team set up to counter. I think teams will be more wary of us this season and won't attack us as naively as United & Spurs did in those famous wins, we're going to need more intelligence in mf and better options at RB. We look top heavy to me, definitely need better options to stabilise the defense. To much last minute in the trenches style defending last year, we need a system and a squad which allows us to absorb pressure better. Not sure those additions have been made yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Check in on Tuesday on Wednesday nights, there'll be plenty of chat to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have to laugh really. Someone posts a link to an article saying that Vidal may or may not be interested in signing for Madrid, Liverpool or Man U. Liverpool fans say it's probably paper nonsense and United fans invade to tell us there is simply no way whatsoever he would even slightly consider Liverpool. Because they are comparable to FC Copenhagen or something like that.

Have to laugh really. Someone posts a link to an article saying that Vidal may or may not be interested in signing for Madrid, Liverpool or Man U. Liverpool fans say it's probably paper nonsense and United fans invade to tell us there is simply no way whatsoever he would even slightly consider Liverpool. Because they are comparable to FC Copenhagen or something like that.

Silly season well and truly underway!
    Have no clue what the United fans are doing have a cut off of Vidal joining Liverpool. It is a step down for him to leave a team that has won 3 Italian championships in a row to joining either Liverpool or United if you want to be totally honest. Difference is Premier League teams will pay him more so if he moves that will be his sole motivation. Not club history, heritage, location, manager, team mates etc etc. It will be 110% about money otherwise he would be shutting the hell up and looking forward to another league win for Juve

Can't wait to see their faces when we sign Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You'd know the new season is nearly upon us...United fans emerging from the cave, Arsenal fans predicting they are going to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I don't know why anyone would sign for United they're a sacking club one bad season and they'll sack the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Singing Vidal would be a massive waste of money. Gerrard is a legend and shouldn't be moved from his position, Henderson is the best midfielder in the PL at the moment, and Reus will slot in as the 3rd man in the midfield.

Signing a guy like Vidal would be a step back for the club.

That should keep them going for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You'd know the new season is nearly upon us...United fans emerging from the cave, Arsenal fans predicting they are going to win the league.

Is next year our year yet :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is next year our year yet :P

Next year + 1£.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

No offence but for a long time after our last title win Liverpool fans had a similar attitude. The truth is if you begin to slip it can be very hard to stop and next thing you know someone else has taken your seat at the top table. You ditched Moyes quickly enough but utd still have massive work to do and just having financial clout is no guarantee, especially when the money is going up for the top teams. Van Gaal too could go either way, again Liverpool have had their share of highly regarded managers who didn't quite deliver. In many ways fergie left a mess similar to what daglish did at Liverpool, success but no succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

does anyone have the monthly lfctv sub?

Im thinking of paying monthly for just two months to get the preseason friendlys in....like tonights one...just wondering how much it costs and whats the quality like watching online?

Just a quick look at last season's prediction thread to shows how so many people got it spectacularly wrong. (myself included)

If it were that easy to predict who will/won't finish in top 2/3/4 I'd be living on a yacht somewhere. Unfortunately I'm not!

Talk is cheap.

El Inho wrote: »
    does anyone have the monthly lfctv sub?

Im thinking of paying monthly for just two months to get the preseason friendlys in....like tonights one...just wondering how much it costs and whats the quality like watching online?

Its free to air is it not?

It's on Sky anyway afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Its free to air is it not?

It's on Sky anyway afaik

That's the TV channel.

What's he's referring to is the internet subscripition with access to interviews, exclusives etc. Think it's called LFC Go now.

I personally wouldn't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's the TV channel.

What's he's referring to is the internet subscripition with access to interviews, exclusives etc. Think it's called LFC Go now.

I personally wouldn't bother with it.

yeah I've no sky in me gaff, i usually just stream, but dont have much faith that tonight will be streamed...

was thinking it might serve good value just for the preseason no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

2016 is our year. The start of are era is the end if utds. Just when ares ended as there began under ferguson.
    They won their first league 26 years after their last. We will win ours in 2016 26 years after are last.
    Both had young upcoming managers. Both were in the shadow of the other. Both were in the s***e

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement