Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

klose wrote: »
    Suarez first game after his ban finished will be against real, couldn't write it ;)

He'll hardly make his debut then will he if he hasn't been training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Coutinho was the best player on the pitch last night although his shooting still looks pants. Can't figure out how a player who is so good technically constantly drags his shots wide and often well wide.

Can was good after he came on. He's a seriously big unit. Very strong and powerful. Quick too when he gets into his stride.

The rest were meh. Typical pre-season fare. Lots of misplaced passes and poor control. Rodgers has said that they've done very little ball work so far though. It's been all fitness based.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Coutinho was the best player on the pitch last night although his shooting still looks pants. Can't figure out how a player who is so good technically constantly drags his shots wide and often well wide.

He strikes a ball so cleanly from a dead ball. but when he is in motion, when he uses power, you can see that the ball glues to his foot on impact for a fraction of a second, this is what drags it. When he stokes it about he doesn't appear to drag it.

I'm guess it's something to do with striking a ball with power, and just not hitting it right. If he sorts that out, which I imagine would be difficult, then he would be lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

klose wrote: »
    Suarez first game after his ban finished will be against real, couldn't write it ;)

You just did :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You just did :confused:
    Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

jasonb wrote: »
    Judging by some of the tangents this thread has seen, this next one should seem fairly normal...

'Loan Watch' and 'Pandas' somehow got me thinking of...

J.

Honey Badger Watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

wow, no posts in here for well over an hour - I thought the thread was archived :)

Looks like we may have agreed a deal for Manquillo according to Marca....

So if he turns out to be great for us, we can buy him for 6mil but then AM can buy him straight back for another agreed price 6mil + x???
    Wierd...
    It's the way meltdowns will happen this season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is worrying. Stars are stars for a reason - because they are in the very top bracket of player. I don't think we have a single player in that bracket at the moment. We are buying lots of good players but no great players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/i-will-not-waste-luis-suarez-cash-on-stars-vows-brendan-rodgers-30455836.html

Brendan Rodgers says he will continue to snub stellar names unless they fit the "right profile" for Liverpool as he continues the £100m reshaping of his side in the wake of Luis Suarez's exit.

While some of the world's biggest clubs pursue their obsession with marquee purchases, Rodgers says he would rather save funds than waste his money on vanity products.

Liverpool are flush with the largest transfer kitty in their history and are likely to have a minimum of eight new recruits by August, the next of which Rodgers hopes will be the Southampton centre-half Dejan Lovren and Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand.

The London club are resisting an £8m bid for Bertrand, which Liverpool believe demonstrates how much more of a title threat they are now perceived as being.

Loic Remy is currently with the Liverpool squad in Boston to become their fifth summer signing, following Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Lazar Markovic and Emre Can.

Liverpool have been conspicuous by their absence in auctions for some of the stars of the World Cup, but Rodgers says his recruits were long-term targets, subject to diligent scouting and referencing rather than being assessed for their "names".

"They are all big signings for us because they will all make a big contribution," Rodgers said. "Maybe for the media there is guessing how we spend the money but you only spend the money if the players are there. What we can't do is spend for the sake of it. The players we've brought in are players we wanted anyway.

"Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team, but of course we want them to make a contribution. If that means we do not spend all the money or the net spend is the same, then so be it.

"There is a responsibility (to spend well). I have always said at every club I've been at, the club's money is my money. I work for the club. I'm there to serve the club and run it the best I can on the field and work with the owners off it.

"They know I push for the best players to come in and they trust how we work. I would not pay more than a value. If clubs sense there is an opportunity to get more out of us it won't happen. We are very unified in how we work in that way. There is money available but we know spending money does not guarantee success.

"Last January everyone was crying out that we needed more signings. We never signed anyone. OK, we might have done with one or two but it was not a major factor in us not winning (the title)."

Lallana is the most expensive deal so far at £25m, but Rodgers rejects the idea Liverpool paid too much for the midfielder.

"We paid what we thought he was worth," he said. "I spoke to enough people about him and have seen enough of him, and know enough people who had seen him and played with him to know he would be a great signing for us. I have no qualms about it. The value of British players is always pushed up. We would not go higher than we thought he was worth.

"He is a great boy. The types of players we bring in have the profile we want so the transition should be smooth. Of course it is strange for them coming into a new team, but you see it with Adam straight away, he presses for the ball when he does not have it and he has beautiful balance. He can score goals and create goals. He is a wonderful footballer.

"I have been impressed by his mentality and character. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person. I want players that are committed to the cause to make Liverpool the best we can be.

"I want players resting when they should be resting, training hard and working hard and focusing on their life as footballers.

"We have brought in those types. It is footballing qualities and human qualities we want."

It remains to be seen if he can add long-term target Bertrand. Rodgers thought he had an £8m deal in January, only for Chelsea to block the sale. The London club were unhappy at how little game time Victor Moses received at Anfield while on loan last season and that has made negotiations problematic.

Liverpool are also discussing a loan move for Atletico Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo. (©Daily Telegraph, London)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Tusky wrote: »
    This is worrying. Stars are stars for a reason - because they are in the very top bracket of player. I don't think we have a single player in the bracket at the moment. We are buying lots of good players but no great players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/i-will-not-waste-luis-suarez-cash-on-stars-vows-brendan-rodgers-30455836.html

It's good to hear Rodgers saying that, I do think he is going about it the right way, he has done a good job so far and I think it's clear to see he has a vision for how he wants us to play. While I think all the signings so far have been solid, I agree that we don't have any stars, and we have just lost one of the biggest. I would think we need to sign one, the signings would be slightly underwhelming if we don't. But realistically we have to ask are there any players that are A) available and B) fit our way of playing, there's no point in signing a big name for the sake of it.

With the amount of big transfers already this summer I thought that it might make a few more "star players" available, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is worrying. Stars are stars for a reason - because they are in the very top bracket of player. I don't think we have a single player in the bracket at the moment. We are buying lots of good players but no great players.

I think we are going about things the right way. Don't get me wrong, I would love one or 2 big star names to arrive. But, we are just back in the Champions League, we've just finished 2nd, we are still in transition. If we have the same sort of finish next year, with a little more of a run in the cups, we would be in with a better chance of getting those players we the fans would love to see.

I firmly believe that our football will be even better this year, but as a star player on the outside looking at us, we are like the girl growing up that has started to turn into a good looking bird, and the star players are just waiting to she if she turns into a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

This is worrying. Stars are stars for a reason - because they are in the very top bracket of player. I don't think we have a single player in that bracket at the moment. We are buying lots of good players but no great players.

While I agree stars are stars because of their footballing ability, it doesn't necessarily make them a good fit for any team because they're big names. Examples being Balotelli and Tevez. Great players, household names, absolute poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Nothing too contentious in that piece tbh, basically saying we won't be taken for mugs in the transfer market. We'd all love marquee signings but look at the attitude of some clubs marquee players over the years. Robinho didn't give a sh1t for city, Veron just never worked for united. Chelsea have had lots just sit on the training bench drawing 100k. Don't get me wrong if a big player wants to come for the right reasons I love them to join, but I suspect BR actually feels the same. I just want to know that they want to earn the opportunity rather than kick up their heels and look forward to buying their newest Ferrari.

Don't get this need for a 'star' or 'marquee' signing.

We arguably haven't had one at LFC since Torres, although Liverpool made him a better player.

Same with Suarez.

People baulked at Sturridge signing last year but wouldn't want him leaving now.

Think Liverpool create more stars than actually sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well next season is going to be fun by the looks of this thread
    Check in on Tuesday on Wednesday nights, there'll be plenty of chat to be had.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

murpho999 wrote: »

Always have done. Even during the 70's and 80's.

Buy players when they are young and upcoming, develop them and often sell them at their peak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Games within games... no one knows who we are targetting or who we may actually already be in talks with... Clubs know we have money... B-Rod playing it cool, that's the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :pac:

Yesterday was a good day, until things suddenly went Chris Martin and Coldplay up in here, and it was all yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Don't get this need for a 'star' or 'marquee' signing.

We arguably haven't had one at LFC since Torres, although Liverpool made him a better player.

Same with Suarez.

People baulked at Sturridge signing last year but wouldn't want him leaving now.

I actually disagree that Liverpool made Suarez into a better player. The reason he got better was playing in a better league. He's of the quality that would have thrived at any number of clubs and been as good as he is today. I actually think he'd be better now if he'd played Champions League football. How long since he's played CL? 4 years? And never in the knockouts.

I'm hugely looking forward to seeing him play next season, I think he'll tear it up in champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

"If that means we do not spend all the money or the net spend is the same, then so be it."

Here we go again... ;)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knex. wrote: »
    Yesterday was a good day, until Chris Martin and Coldplay came on, and suddenly it was all yellow.

Ha! You can't beat the perfect ownage post though. The wonderful moment where a jibe is taken and fashioned as an unintended weapon by the jibee. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

8-10 wrote: »
    I actually disagree that Liverpool made Suarez into a better player. The reason he got better was playing in a better league. He's of the quality that would have thrived at any number of clubs and been as good as he is today. I actually think he'd be better now if he'd played Champions League football. How long since he's played CL? 4 years? And never in the knockouts.

I'm hugely looking forward to seeing him play next season, I think he'll tear it up in champions league

Arguably you could say Brendan Rodgers incorporated a system around Suarez got the best out of Suarez. Works both ways, under Kenny Suarez couldn't a hit barn door. He and Rodgers were in the right place and time, both reaped the benefits.

Financially we did and he got his move. So works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We might yet have a few who kick on to become really world class. It's impossible to predict, those that at least have the potential imho are Sterling and Coutinho.

We'll need to be very carefully with Sterling re: injuries and burnout. Others might emerge, but right now I think those 2 have the most potential to continue improving. Sturridge, as much as I like him, is probably at his peek. He's a great premier league striker, but I dont think he'll kick on to become a player coveted by the European elite. Sterling could if he continues his current trajectory.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Arguably you could say Brendan Rodgers incorporated a system around Suarez got the best out of Suarez. Works both ways, under Kenny Suarez couldn't a hit barn door. He and Rodgers were in the right place and time, both reaped the benefits.

Financially we did and he got his move. So works both ways.

Will be very interesting at Barca. Messi & Neymar alone demand a fair bit of the ball. What is Enrique going to do with the 3 of them. Will he risk annoying little lord leo and playing Suarez centrally?

Some challenge to find balance and harmony at Barca this year.

Of course...that's why his value went from £23m to £75m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Always have done. Even during the 70's and 80's.

Buy players when they are young and upcoming, develop them and often sell them at their peak.

Er , I think thats arsenal .......

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Star players are great to have but I believe it is teams that win things and teams that make stars out of players. I think B Rodgers is going about things the right way and look forward to the new season. Only major concern is at the back didnt see any of the Roma game how did we look as a defensive unit. First post here so Hi to all looking forward to a interesting season

p38 wrote: »
    Star players are great to have but I believe it is teams that win things and teams that make stars out of players. I think B Rodgers is going about things the right way and look forward to the new season. Only major concern is at the back didnt see any of the Roma game how did we look as a defensive unit. First post here so Hi to all looking forward to a interesting season

Not particularly convincing. Hopefully see Sahko and Skrtel next game, need to get this Lovren business wrapped up sharpish or change tack and buy someone else.

Of course...that's why his value went from £23m to £75m

Yes, because he was playing in a better league. He was already outstanding in the Dutch league by the 10/11 season and needed to move on, he'd essentially out-grown it. Had he gone to United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City or Spurs back then I reckon he'd still have gone for huge money this summer.

I agree that Liverpool made Torres better, and I agree that Liverpool's system didn't hold Suarez back. I just think his talent is such that it's not just down to the club, had he gone elsewhere he'd still be good enough to go to a Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm happy enough for BR to build his own squad. I think he deserves to do it the way he wants. I might not agree with some of the signings and fee's etc but i am interested to see how BR builds his LFC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Just seen the Replay of our Friendly with Roma, and I've already taken a liking to Can.

Strong on the Ball, and wilingly Drives it to the Teeth of the Defense.

We've never had a Midfielder like that. Not since the Days of Gerrard's Captain Fantastic.

Can't wait to see us Play, with a Midfield Setup like this:

Hendo (DLM) Can (CM)
    Lallana (AM)

That's a Midfield with alot of Thrust and Workrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We've never had a Midfielder like that. Not since the Days of Gerrard's Captain Fantastic.

So what you're saying is we have had a midfielder like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Yes, because he was playing in a better league. He was already outstanding in the Dutch league by the 10/11 season and needed to move on, he'd essentially out-grown it. Had he gone to United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City or Spurs back then I reckon he'd still have gone for huge money this summer.

I agree that Liverpool made Torres better, and I agree that Liverpool's system didn't hold Suarez back. I just think his talent is such that it's not just down to the club, had he gone elsewhere he'd still be good enough to go to a Barca.

Kuyt scored 71 goals in 101 games in the dutch league
    Suarez scored 81 goals in 110 games
    By your reckoning Kuyt was inevitably going to become a world class player by playing in a bigger team and getting CL football. Definitely doesnt work like that at all.

He is at Barca because Rogers played a system where the ball got to him quickly, to his feet and whilst opponents were backtracking. Our pacy counter attacking football was tailor made for him.

Would he have had as good a season playing for Moyes last year? Probably not, he'd have spent the year watching Valencia clip crosses over his head.

I dont know that he got much extra in terms of skills and new tactics, but we put him in the spotlight by playing an attacking brand of football that not many other clubs were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

By your reckoning Kuyt was inevitably going to become a world class player by playing in a bigger team and getting CL football. Definitely doesnt work like that at all.

I really dislike these type of comparisons. Kuyt and Suarez, even just in their time in Holland, were two completely different players, and the expectations for both of them were rightly different.

The Kezman, Alves arguments, when looking at Suarez, do my nut in.

Anyway, aside from that, 8-10's point was different to that of just production, and is fairly valid, in my eyes. We're talking about the third best player in the World right now. That talent isn't circumstantial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

What position did Can play last night?
    I know he came on for Borini and I've seen his run down the left wing. Was it on the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Alfonso Alves says hello

Just seen the Replay of our Friendly with Roma, and I've already taken a liking to Can.

Strong on the Ball, and wilingly Drives it to the Teeth of the Defense.

Can't wait to see us Play, with a Midfield Setup like this:

Hendo (DLM) Can (CM)
    Lallana (AM)

That's a Midfield with alot of Thrust and Workrate.

Henderson won't play there, didn't last season. Gerrard did. Next year will be

Gerrard + Henderson
    Lallana

Gerrard will be phased out by Can in time, but it won't happen overnight. Gerrard is the club captain and will play most of the season, Can is a new 20 yr old with limited playing time ahead of him this year.

Henderson doesn't have the passing game to play DLM, he is better in the CM role supporting Lallana and providing extra cover at the back. His mobility is one of his biggest assets and to shackle him in a deeper position is a mistake that BR wouldnt make.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not a position he has played for us or previously for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I am pie wrote: »

Gerrard + Henderson
    Lallana

Gerrard will be phased out by Can in time, but it won't happen overnight. Gerrard is the club captain and will play most of the season, Can is a new 20 yr old with limited playing time ahead of him this year.

Henderson doesn't have the passing game to play DLM, he is better in the CM role supporting Lallana and providing extra cover at the back. His mobility is one of his biggest assets and to shackle him in a deeper position is a mistake that BR wouldnt make.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not a position he has played for us or previously for Sunderland.

I'd also expect our best mid / forwards currently to be:

Gerrard Henderson
    Lallana Coutinho Markovic
    Sturidge

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I'd also expect our best mid / forwards currently to be:

Gerrard Henderson
    Lallana Coutinho Markovic
    Sturidge

Surely sterling will start ahead of markovic ? At least in the first half of the season till the new lad cuts his teeth in a new league

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

p38 wrote: »
    Welcome.

Its always interesting here, even for the wrong reasons.

Panda saps have vacancies arising every day now...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gerrard + Henderson
    Lallana

You underestimate Hendo's Passing. He's probably the Best One we have, next to Gerrard.

Hendo will not be a Predefined DLM per se, but he will play it In Tandem with Can. Just like when he and Allen did it, when Gerrard got Injured last season. One goes Forward and Help in the Attack, while the Other stays to Cover.

The Reason why I put DLM on Hendo, instead of Can, is that Can will Run with the Ball more than I think Hendo will.

I know Hendo's a Strong Runner, but he usually does it Off the Ball. He's not the Type that will Dribble the Ball around a Defender, that Can or Lallana likes to do.

So even though both of them will Interchange in those Roles in that Setup, Can will be play more of the CM and Hendo the DLM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Messi - Suarez - Neymar

One of Messi or Suarez's goal return will have to drop. I wonder who it will be?

You underestimate Hendo's Passing. He's probably the Best One we have, next to Gerrard.

Hendo will not be a Predefined DLM per se, but he will play it In Tandem with Can. Just like when he and Allen did it, when Gerrard got Injured last season. One goes Forward and Help in the Attack, while the Other stays to Cover.

The Reason why I put DLM on Hendo, instead of Can, is that Can will Run with the Ball more than I think Hendo will.

I know Hendo's a Strong Runner, but he usually does it Off the Ball. He's not the Type that will Dribble the Ball around a Defender, that Can or Lallana likes to do.

So even though both of them will Interchange in those Roles in that Setup, Can will be play more of the CM and Hendo the DLM.

I can't see it and we haven't seen it.

When he played with Allen, Allen sat deeper and was less mobile.

I suspect you can probably throw those labels in the bin as what I believe BR is looking for is midfielders who can accelerate that attacking transition that this liverpool team is based on.

Right now Gerrard's weakness is his mobility. I think Can will directly replace him in time and play in tandem with Henderson. Neither one will be a (DLM), I dont see the need. We'll have 2 more mobile players who will cover ground between defense and attack, of course, as each game requires one or both can play deeper or further forward, but generally I would say they will play as a pair. Strengths will be quick transitions from attack to defence and vice versa. I dont think Rogers' ideal style needsd a DLM. I think that's a static position which will in time become less useful as players become more multifaceted. We all love Pirlo, but i think that role is becoming as much of a luxury as a static no.10 role in behind the strikers.

That's the over riding profile of the player we are buying, mobility, can carry and pass. I think we'll move beyond static fixed positions in mf beyond giving Can & Henderson responsbility for quick shift between def & attack and asking Lallana to drive & direct the attacking 4.

5live wrote: »
    Welcome.

Yeah, welcome to the worst thread for the worst fans in the league.

Our year....

...to be the worst team in the league. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I can't see it and we haven't seen it.

When he played with Allen, Allen sat deeper and was less mobile.

I suspect you can probably throw those labels in the bin as what I believe BR is looking for is midfielders who can accelerate that attacking transition that this liverpool team is based on.

Right now Gerrard's weakness is his mobility. I think Can will directly replace him in time and play in tandem with Henderson. Neither one will be a (DLM), I dont see the need. We'll have 2 more mobile players who will cover ground between defense and attack, of course, as each game requires one or both can play deeper or further forward, but generally I would say they will play as a pair. Strengths will be quick transitions from attack to defence and vice versa. I dont think Rogers' ideal style needsd a DLM. I think that's a static position which will in time become less useful as players become more multifaceted. We all love Pirlo, but i think that role is becoming as much of a luxury as a static no.10 role in behind the strikers.

That's the over riding profile of the player we are buying, mobility, can carry and pass. I think we'll move beyond static fixed positions in mf beyond giving Can & Henderson responsbility for quick shift between def & attack and asking Lallana to drive & direct the attacking 4.

I wonder could Allen be the player to take over from Gerrard. Not a like for like replacement but someone who sits and dictates the tempo of our play. A much more controlling presence than Gerrard. Ahead of him two box to box players like Lallana, Henderson or Can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkhbI-iDpmY

En Francais, malheuresement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

5live wrote: »
    Welcome.

Some of us are just making our way back from holidays

R3OPrbn.jpg

We'll be match fit in a couple of weeks :D

And that's definitely not what I said.

He was outstanding in 09/10 (season before he moved so by the 10/11 season) and had clearly outgrown the league, that's what I had said. Kuyt had not, goals are just part of the story. In 10/11, he was ready to move on and probably should have in that summer and not waited for January.

Suarez was, by my reckoning before he moved to Liverpool, already an outstanding player. And I actually thought he would go on to be world class! Based partially on his goalscoring in that season, but mainly on his all round game and ability to carry the team through games where the midfield was not performing.

Absolutely nowhere did I compare him to Kuyt (or Alves or anybody else) and you've completely taken my point up wrong.

If you've been watching him since he joined Liverpool you have to recognise that he's already blessed with the talent and desire to win. And I'm saying that Liverpool can be credited with not holding him back and under BR trying to get the best out of him - absolutely the right thing to do.

All I'm saying is that it's not as simple as Liverpool making him a better player, I think had he gone to another EPL club he would also have become better and been good enough for a move to Barca. Liverpool did what they could when they could, I just think he's such a good player that he would have had a huge impact on the other teams I mentioned and also grown to be 'World Class' (for lack of a better term)

And for what it's worth I do think it's a shame he has only played in the CL group stages once at his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Milan Jovanovich announces his retirement.

Goodnight sweet prince :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbtbUHRXyY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Vicxas wrote: »
    Milan Jovanovich announces his retirement.

Goodnight sweet prince :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbtbUHRXyY

True genius of the game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement