Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bastids removed the "Milan Jovanovic is one of the greatest players in the World", Neighbours video. Can't find it anywhere now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ha! That jovanovic video never gets old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get this need for a 'star' or 'marquee' signing.

We arguably haven't had one at LFC since Torres, although Liverpool made him a better player.

Same with Suarez.

People baulked at Sturridge signing last year but wouldn't want him leaving now.

Think Liverpool create more stars than actually sign.

The thing is though, JWH was talking about how great it was to be in the CL because now we could get our targets.

Our signings might turn out to be of that calibre and profile, but they're not right now.

The players in question aren't just those that cost 20-30m.
    It's also about age and maturity. Obviously quality is the other factor.

Markovich might produce earlier than the usual 23/24 and deliver next season and Lallana might prove to be better than we think (like Sturridge) but as targets they don't fit that criteria of stars or proto-stars like Suarez and Torres who were ready to dive right in and become one of the very best in the league straight away.

We've continued to miss out on those targets this summer (Sanchez is the only one so far).

That doesn't mean that we're going to have a **** season, but we're yet to prove that we can go toe to toe with Europe's elite by matching them financially for top quality players in or approaching their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Knex. wrote: »
    Bastids removed the "Milan Jovanovic is one of the greatest players in the World", Neighbours video. Can't find it anywhere now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRcA5K3Is4
    skip to 15.30. Couldn't find the clip on it's own either but felt the digging was warranted given his retirement! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

mormank wrote: »
    skip to 15.30. Couldn't find the clip on it's own either but felt the digging was warranted given his retirement! :o

Fine work! Never seen that before, hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Andy Carroll has done his ankle ligaments in, and will be out for about 4 months!!!

Good old andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Just finished watching the game. Quite enjoyable I thought. Not the result you might want but it was pretty high tempo and a good workout for all involved.

Don't think anyone stood out really but Coutinho looked sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Vicxas wrote: »
    Milan Jovanovich announces his retirement.

Top top all round player. We are all worse off with his retirement

JZFCk3J.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That gif is just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Fescue wrote: »
    I wonder could Allen be the player to take over from Gerrard. Not a like for like replacement but someone who sits and dictates the tempo of our play. A much more controlling presence than Gerrard. Ahead of him two box to box players like Lallana, Henderson or Can.

I think the role is a luxury, need to be more dynamic. It's rare for mf players to have such a limited area of the pitch to work in. Can & Henderson athleticism should see us phase that position out. Dont think for example you'd see Germany play with a sitting mf player. I think thats why we bought Can and not a DM or DLM (whatever you wanna call it). Also why we will let Lucas go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For the clearest example of why Liverpool and Utd fans should be kept as far away from each other as possible, have a look at the pure dribblefest of sub adolescent nonsense geing spewed out on twitter after carragher23 rated Gerrard above Scholes and Lampard.

Would put you off football nearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder could Allen be the player to take over from Gerrard. Not a like for like replacement but someone who sits and dictates the tempo of our play. A much more controlling presence than Gerrard. Ahead of him two box to box players like Lallana, Henderson or Can.

To be honest I think that role was given to Gerrard because Rodgers couldn't/wouldn't or was afraid to drop Gerrard.

Once he is retired or is made a part-timer that role will not be replaced by anyone else. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Messi - Suarez - Neymar

One of Messi or Suarez's goal return will have to drop. I wonder who it will be?

Really don't care, he's gone, I don't follow Suarez, I follow Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dubdamo wrote: »

Cold! I always end up checking in on ex-players, sometimes even watching games to see how they play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not even going to pretend I'm not interested in how Suarez gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mormank wrote: »

I reckon our scouting team were just sat around watching neighbours tbh.

I am pie wrote: »
    For the clearest example of why Liverpool and Utd fans should be kept as far away from each other as possible, have a look at the pure dribblefest of sub adolescent nonsense geing spewed out on twitter after carragher23 rated Gerrard above Scholes and Lampard.

Would put you off football nearly.

You see similar in here all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is there a chance that we'd get Barcelona in the CL and Suarez could start against us?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is there a chance that we'd get Barcelona in the CL and Suarez could start against us?

Of course we can get Barca in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I get the sentiment but he gave us his absolute all every time he went out on the pitch. I wish him every success and will watch barcelona next season to see how he's doing. An unforgettable player for good and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I am pie wrote: »
    I think the role is a luxury, need to be more dynamic. It's rare for mf players to have such a limited area of the pitch to work in. Can & Henderson athleticism should see us phase that position out. Dont think for example you'd see Germany play with a sitting mf player. I think thats why we bought Can and not a DM or DLM (whatever you wanna call it). Also why we will let Lucas go
    To be honest I think that role was given to Gerrard because Rodgers couldn't/wouldn't or was afraid to drop Gerrard.

Once he is retired or is made a part-timer that role will not be replaced by anyone else. I think.

When he first took over I read some intersting pieces on his philosophy. I remember him talking about three man midfields. He believed in two formations. One sitting and two ahead, or two sitting and one ahead. Perhaps he has changed his mind but I would expect this to continue.

rob316 wrote: »
    I wish him every success and will watch barcelona next season to see how he's doing.

Don't particularly like Barca or Real. Hope Atlético do them over again in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When he first took over I read some intersting pieces on his philosophy. I remember him talking about three man midfields. He believed in two formations. One sitting and two ahead, or two sitting and one ahead. Perhaps he has changed his mind but I would expect this to continue.

What I mean by given to Gerrard is that Gerrard lost his legs and couldn't be the dynamic midfielder needed to play the football we were playing last season.

Even dropping Gerrard back to the sweeper role or DM whichever you want to call it didn't really help out the defence as we can see from goals conceded.

Brendan even came out today and said that Coutinho was the brain of the team!

That is something people were saying Gerrard was playing in the deep lying role!

The biggest decision Brendan Rodgers has this season is what to do with Gerrard!

He is the odd man out in midfield for me when you have Allen, Can, Lallana, Henderson, Coutinho and even Lucas all looking to play in a mildfield 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

hardy buck ^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Andy Carroll has done his ankle ligaments in, and will be out for about 4 months!!!

Good old andy
    Feel for Andy. Ever since he moved to us, he's just had disaster after disaster. £35M though, that still hurts.

• Advertisement

Feel for Andy. Ever since he moved to us, he's just had disaster after disaster. £35M though, that still hurts.

To think some people wanted to keep him for a plan B :rolleyes:

Newcastle absolutely robbed us and for all that he showed at Anfield we robbed West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

NukaCola wrote: »
    To think some people wanted to keep him for a plan B :rolleyes:

Newcastle absolutely robbed us and for all that he showed at Anfield we robbed West Ham.

I always look at it that Newcastle robbed Chelsea. Liverpool agreed to sell Torres for whatever Carroll cost + £15m.
    If we got Carroll for £5m, Torres would only have been £20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Mickalus wrote: »
    I always look at it that Newcastle robbed Chelsea. Liverpool agreed to sell Torres for whatever Carroll cost + £15m.

I always look at it that we made a £15 million profit on Carroll. We signed him for £2m around the same time we got that Suarez fella for £55m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Mickalus wrote: »

While I like your glass half full theory we panicked. Hopefully Rodgers isn't and won't. I'm cautiously looking forward to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

amber69 wrote: »
    While I like your glass half full theory we panicked. Hopefully Rodgers isn't and won't. I'm cautiously looking forward to the season.

My memory of that event is that Mickalus is 100% correct. Newcastle understood that Chelsea were effectively paying for Carroll and milked it accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I have a dislike for Barcelona but I'll be watching any game I happen upon if Suarez is playing.

There is no other footballer I'd rather watch.

I suppose if you look at the deals we got Suarez and Andy for £57 m. Recouped fees is approx £90 m. Little consolation but its all i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I am looking forward to next season now, we've got an absolute bargain in Remy who is a top class striker, and we have decent back up. our midfield is better with Lallana and Can played the whole season with Leverkusen we just need to strengthen the defense and Markovic is an unknown quantity.

Also think there is a big name coming in, Vidal or Pedro or someone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I want to say Can but it's Chan.

FutureGuy is a closet Liverpool fan. We all saw that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

tomaussie wrote: »
    My memory of that event is that Mickalus is 100% correct. Newcastle understood that Chelsea were effectively paying for Carroll and milked it accordingly.

Micklaus is not being serious though, but I think you are. That's the difference here to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You.

Saw.

Nothing.

Was it a case of ninja delete?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Was it a case of ninja delete?

I think I'm still feeling the effects of Hangballlouie's yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I am looking forward to next season now, we've got an absolute bargain in Remy who is a top class striker, and we have decent back up. our midfield is better with Lallana and Can played the whole season with Leverkusen we just need to strengthen the defense and Markovic is an unknown quantity.

Also think there is a big name coming in, Vidal or Pedro or someone

Assuming the other people we're constantly linked with (Remy, Lovren and either Moreno or Bertrand) are actually signed, would people then be happy with the transfer window? Or does there have to be a 'star' signing to make it a successful one? And is the 'star' signing necessary purely because we lost Suarez and/or have £75m to spend, even though everyone knows Suarez can't be replaced?

Personally I think once we sort out the needs in our defence, then I'd be happy enough with how the window has gone. You never know which players will work and which won't, teams have bought potential and it's paid off big time, and teams have bought world class players and it's just never worked out. There just are no guarantees.

I've no issues with us still having a chunk of the £75m left unspent when the window closes, we shouldn't spend just 'cos we have money. Of course, if the new players don't gel, that's the first thing that will get thrown at the club, 'why didn't we spend'?

But we seem to have bought players to strengthen our squad, and our first team, in the areas we need them, and they look like the kind of players that will suit our playing style. Only time will tell of course, as it always does...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Apparently a French have outlet called RMC have us liked with Gaitan tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Lads here is question for you -
    Who do you think will be out next captain ?

I personally think it should be Henderson. He Is starting to mature and is playing quite well. If it's not him Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Gerrard getting a new deal according to the Mirror.

And Coutinho has liked a couple of photos of Vidal's apparently. Must mean it's a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I personally think it should be Henderson. He Is starting to mature and is playing quite well. If it's not him Lallana

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I really like Lallana but he hasn't even kicked a ball for us and you're talking about him being the next captain?

Jaysus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't see it being Henderson, doesn't come off as much of a leader. I think it's more than likely going to be Lovren or Sakho. However, if Reina or Agger are still here when Stevie G retires, it's obviously one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Thread's gone mental.

Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jasonb wrote: »
    Assuming the other people we're constantly linked with (Remy, Lovren and either Moreno or Bertrand) are actually signed, would people then be happy with the transfer window? Or does there have to be a 'star' signing to make it a successful one? And is the 'star' signing necessary purely because we lost Suarez and/or have £75m to spend, even though everyone knows Suarez can't be replaced?

Personally I think once we sort out the needs in our defence, then I'd be happy enough with how the window has gone. You never know which players will work and which won't, teams have bought potential and it's paid off big time, and teams have bought world class players and it's just never worked out. There just are no guarantees.

I've no issues with us still having a chunk of the £75m left unspent when the window closes, we shouldn't spend just 'cos we have money. Of course, if the new players don't gel, that's the first thing that will get thrown at the club, 'why didn't we spend'?

But we seem to have bought players to strengthen our squad, and our first team, in the areas we need them, and they look like the kind of players that will suit our playing style. Only time will tell of course, as it always does...

J.

No, I wouldn't be happy with that. We have the biggest transfer kitty in the club's history but would be starting the season without a top quality player in the team. We have some very good players and we have signed some very good players - but I'm disappointed that we are not shopping for next level quality now that we have Champions League. Everyone we signed could probably have been signed by a non-Champions League team. Except maybe Markovic, but that's debatable.

Difficult to predict as things can change a lot in the one, two, perhaps three years it will take before a new captain is named.

From current squad Agger, Skrtel, Reina, maybe Lucas. Henderson (or Lallana) doesn't seem like the type to give a bollicking to a teammate, even if they need it. Maybe Sakho or Vidal could be that presence in time but not right now.

• Advertisement

Thread's gone mental.

Again.

You're over reacting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement