Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mickalus wrote: »
    I always look at it that Newcastle robbed Chelsea. Liverpool agreed to sell Torres for whatever Carroll cost + £15m.
    If we got Carroll for £5m, Torres would only have been £20m
    tomaussie wrote: »
    My memory of that event is that Mickalus is 100% correct. Newcastle understood that Chelsea were effectively paying for Carroll and milked it accordingly.

They said this at the time, but I really hope it's not true. Makes us look exceptionally stupid.

They're effectively saying that if Newcastle had only wanted 20 million, we'd have done a deal with Chelsea for 35 million. Regardless of what Newcastle were doing, we should have been trying to get the best deal possible from Chelsea. We should have been buying for 15 to 20, and selling for 50+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sakho for captain
    th?&id=HN.608038919758154196&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can't see it being Henderson, doesn't come off as much of a leader. I think it's more than likely going to be Lovren or Sakho. However, if Reina or Agger are still here when Stevie G retires, it's obviously one of them.

Im a liverbird upon my chest fan,let no one question my loyalties.

But for me Steven Gerrard has no role in this team going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You're over reacting.

And?

Isn't that what everyone does in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The highlight from the game was 100% Emre Can. The guy is a dreamboat. Swoon!!

Here are the highlights of him. He looked class

http://www.footylounge.com/films//edenhazard10i/emre-can-vs-roma-14-15-hd-720p-video_46894c20f.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

And?

Isn't that what everyone does in here?

Post reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Post reported.

Careful now. If you don't specify that you're joking you're liable to pick up a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

rob316 wrote: »
    I get the sentiment but he gave us his absolute all every time he went out on the pitch. I wish him every success and will watch barcelona next season to see how he's doing. An unforgettable player for good and bad.

He''ll be the first player I''ve 'followed' out of the club.I love Liverpool but I also love football, and I love watching this guy play. It was an amicable breakup and I don't really like Barca but I hope he does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Post reported.

:P

magentis wrote: »

Can we discuss the elephant in the room please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

We don't need our captain or a leader in the team that wants this club to succeed with every ounce of his soul?

Yeah fk it, this leadership stuff is overrated, we'd have pissed the league last year without a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We'll if we signed Vidal in this window, I'd personally buy Stevie G a nice comfy throw for his spot on the bench, but we're not signing a top class midfielder so we'll have to make do with him for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

How do you think he and the team played from Feb onwards last year?

We don't need our captain or a leader in the team that wants this club to succeed with every ounce of his soul?

Yeah fk it, this leadership stuff is overrated.

No questioning his desire,but his legs are gone.His role infront of the back four has not been a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lads here is question for you -
    Who do you think will be out next captain ?

I personally think it should be Henderson. He Is starting to mature and is playing quite well. If it's not him Lallana

Henderson isn't really leadership material unless he does an awful lot of growing up. There's been a few glimpses over the past couple of years but there's been plenty of hiding as well. He's only just turned 24 so he has time.

It seemed like Lucas and Agger were being groomed but I can't see either sticking around long.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the lads from this window (in 2 years time).
    jasonb wrote: »
    Assuming the other people we're constantly linked with (Remy, Lovren and either Moreno or Bertrand) are actually signed, would people then be happy with the transfer window? Or does there have to be a 'star' signing to make it a successful one? And is the 'star' signing necessary purely because we lost Suarez and/or have £75m to spend, even though everyone knows Suarez can't be replaced?

It's hard to say.

What are we trying to do this season? If the goal is to win the league then, while these signings have been excellent on the face of it in their own way, they're far from being ambitious enough.

If we're progressing along on our 5-year plan or whatever and the goal is to stick in the CL (with last season being an anomaly), then we're probably ok.

Unless we absolute nail that superstar, it might not be worth getting them just for the sake of it. If they're going to peak this season and next season, unless they're serious business I can't see it being enough to win the league.

On the other hand, if we solidify our position over 2 or 3 years and get within striking distance, then might be the time to go for the throat and get that superstar.

Without crazy money it'll be very difficult to maintain success so we might have to accept flittering around most of the time and taking a run at winning the big trophies once every few years.

How do you think he and the team played from Feb onwards last year?

Yes they done very well.
    But when i look at how porous we were at the back i cant help thinking if we had someone with a bit more mobility would things have been even better?

The main problem with Gerrard in the team is that he's being played in a Pirlo type of role, but it's completely ineffective. Pirlo saunters around the Juve midfield at a snails pace, because the team plays around him to suit his style of play. It's a very slow, deliberate style of play, with short, accurate passing, rarely looking for the killer pass in behind. We have Gerrard playing like this, yet his teammates playing the complete opposite of this. Gerrard doesn't belong in our fast, counter-attacking style of play. He's not a box-to-box midfielder anymore. We need someone like Khedira, Vidal or Matuidi to replace him, and that's how we'll get the most out of our midfield. Just my opinion.

The main problem with Gerrard in the team is that he's being played in a Pirlo type of role, but it's completely ineffective. Pirlo saunters around the Juve midfield at a snails pace, because the team plays around him to suit his style of play. It's a very slow, deliberate style of play, with short, accurate passing, rarely looking for the killer pass in behind. We have Gerrard playing like this, yet his teammates playing the complete opposite of this. Gerrard doesn't belong in our fast, counter-attacking style of play. He's not a box-to-box midfielder anymore. We need someone like Khedira, Vidal or Matuidi to replace him, and that's how we'll get the most out of our midfield. Just my opinion.

Its a very difficult thing to say but we have to face the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Thread's gone mental.

Again.

We go from Meltdown Mondays to Wipeout Wednesdays.

But we go on...

Yes they done very well.
    But when i look at how porous we were at the back i cant help thinking if we had someone with a bit more mobility would things have been even better?
    Could they really have been any better. Someone with a bit more mobility chances are would not have the ability to set us on the attack with quick long raking passes. I think his mobility isnt as much an issue in his current position and the fact we lieak so many goals at the back is down to a number of issues of which gerrard may be one of many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The closest Henderson should get to the armband, right now, is when he's standing in the wall next to Gerrard.

As much as I rate him, I really don't see him as captain material.

Not even kidding, if Gerrard goes down injured, or is rested at some stage, the armband will probably go to Johnson :pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    The closest Henderson should get to the armband, right now, is when he's standing in the wall next to Gerrard.

Not even kidding, if Gerrard goes down injured, or is rested at some stage, the armband will probably go to Johnson :pac:

The armband would probably be out of position too, somewhere down his forearm.

Completely ineffective the results would indicate otherwise. He does belong in our fast counter attacking style as he is one of the few players in england that has the passing ability to turn defence into attack from a deep position.

Now thats a horror story with an unhappy ending:(

Completely ineffective the results would indicate otherwise. He does belong in our fast counter attacking style as he is one of the few players in england that has the passing ability to turn defence into attack from a deep position.

Im not doubting his passing ability for a second.
    But he has got burned for pace a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Sakho for captain
    th?&id=HN.608038919758154196&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Is it just me or does Sahko remind you of the Creeper?

Im not doubting his passing ability for a second.
    But he has got burned for pace a few times.
    I dont think he is that slow at all much quicker than lucas and at a par with allen. The likes of gareth barry are slow and do a decent job in that role. I thought when he was playing higher up the pitch in the first half of the season he was clearly struggling energy wise with that role but personally cant remember a game from the DM role where I thought his pace was an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Now thats a horror story with an unhappy ending:(

He was captain a couple of times last season, if I remember correctly.

West Ham game, for sure, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gerrard has no role in our team? A player who scored 13 goals and had 13 assists last season?

I mean I'll be one of the first to say he shouldn't be viewed as a guaranteed starter but he certainly has a role to play and I would guess has a big part to play next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

He looked ok, lets not get ahead of ourselves. People already talking about him as Stevie G.'s long term replacement - ffs!

To be fair though, he seems well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone questioning gerrards contribution to the team needs their head checked.

Even if Liverpool signed a world class midfielder they'd play alongside Gerrard not instead if him. Amazes me how quick some 'fans' want to put a Liverpiol icon out to pasture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

NukaCola wrote: »
    Gerrard has no role in our team? A player who scored 13 goals and had 13 assists last season?

I mean I'll be one of the first to say he shouldn't be viewed as a guaranteed starter but he certainly has a role to play and I would guess has a big part to play next season.

"Fans" have been writing him off for the past 2 years or so, only for his technical abilities as a footballer to allow him move position and add value to different roles. Producing those kind of offensive stats (13:13) from the DM position at his stage of career is staggering - but let's not kid ourselves that "Chan" will step up and match that output, let alone provide the passing range which proved pivotal to opening up teams on the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'd written him off and have gladly eaten humble pie about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Iv'e been reading the same stuff about Gerrard for 3 years.

He has played around 100 games the last 2 years. He will now get 4 or 5 fortnightly breaks from international games to freshen up for the club.

Gerrard is playing the role Rodgers is instructing him to play.

I read tonight he is signing a 1 year extension.

People should me more alarmed by Rodgers/the club not bringing in a yard dog to play in front of defence. Can isnt the answer, for another year or two anyway imo. Lucas is dead weight im afraid, i honestly dont trust him even up against weaker teams now. We have ball winners but no muscle. The EPL requires some muscle in the DM/CM slot. Its great to have an ethos in style but when the same old issues arise and are treated like nothings wrong you are only causing yourself unnecessary issues throughout a season.

So far we havent really done anything to cure the goals we conceded last season. If Lovren comes in that will help. Imo, he will be the leader of that defence after 5 games played, mark my words :cool: :pac:

Still need a yard dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

daithijjj wrote: »
    Iv'e been reading the same stuff about Gerrard for 3 years.

He has played around 100 games the last 2 years. He will now get 4 or 5 fortnightly breaks from international games to freshen up for the club.

Gerrard is playing the role Rodgers is instructing him to play.

I read tonight he is signing a 1 year extension.

People should me more alarmed by Rodgers/the club not bringing in a yard dog to play in front of defence. Can isnt the answer, for another year or two anyway imo. Lucas is dead weight im afraid, i honestly dont trust him even up against weaker teams now. We have ball winners but no muscle. The EPL requires some muscle in the DM/CM slot. Its great to have an ethos in style but when the same old issues arise and are treated like nothings wrong you are only causing yourself unnecessary issues throughout a season.

So far we havent really done anything to cure the goals we conceded last season. If Lovren comes in that will help. Imo, he will be the leader of that defence after 5 games played, mark my words :cool: :pac:

Still need a yard dog.

Don't really agree regarding the need for a 'yard dog', and I think we'll see a defensive improvement purely by shift to playing one up top.

Let's not forget we had a great defensive record during Suarez's ban, winning a lot of games 1-0.

Also look at the likes of Khedira, Busquets, Fernandinho and so on: they contribute as much in attack as defence, and I think Rodgers will want similar from Gerrard or Can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

By all accounts Henderson is actually one of the more vocal guys in the squad.

Haven't a clue if he will ever be captain but it's not that crazy a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Gbear wrote: »
    Henderson isn't really leadership material unless he does an awful lot of growing up. There's been a few glimpses over the past couple of years but there's been plenty of hiding as well. He's only just turned 24 so he has time.

It seemed like Lucas and Agger were being groomed but I can't see either sticking around long.

Stevie got the captaincy in October 2003 when he was 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

@EPLBETS1: Vidal announced that he will not be joining #ManUtd, but he is still odds on (1/5) to join them.
    #LFC are priced at 5/1 & #AFC are 33/1.

Vidal would be an incredible signing. If we signed him and lovern we would win the league. No doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get this need for a 'star' or 'marquee' signing.

We arguably haven't had one at LFC since Torres, although Liverpool made him a better player.

Same with Suarez.

People baulked at Sturridge signing last year but wouldn't want him leaving now.

Think Liverpool create more stars than actually sign.

You definitely make a valid point, the club has improved players like Suarez & Torres. Torres was a marquee signing, Suarez not quite as much so but that might be to do with him coming from the Dutch league rather than La Liga. He soon turned that notion on its head, the little scamp :D

But all that aside I disagree somewhat on not buying a 'marquee' signing. Marquee is probably too derogatory a word because it smacks of playboys in Ferraris enjoying £200k per week wages and not producing the form we expect of a £50-60m player.

What I want is a world class player. One who, like Suarez, can deliver the goods even when others around him aren't producing an end product. The reason I want that type of player in the squad is because I'm of the firm belief that winning the Premiership is so competitive that it's millimetres that count as we know painfully too well from the season just gone. If you look at any Premier League winning teams of the last two decades there is a common strand running throughout- they all had one, sometimes two world class players who were the difference between winning the PL and not winning it. Look at the impact Cantona had at both Leeds and ManU, he was the lynchpin that swung titles his teams way at crucial junctures in crucial matches. Henry did the same for Arsenal, Viera and Petit to a certain extent, both world class midfielders who were often the difference in tight away games. Ronaldo with his 41 goal season did likewise at Utd, RVP did similar as has Drogba for Chelsea. Aguero was the difference between Man City winning their first title in 50 years when he stepped up to the plate and kept a level head to score a 93rd minute goal. You wouldn't have wanted anyone but Aguero in that position, because a world class player like him is what can swing a title.

In a competition where centimetres are no longer enough and every millimeter counts that extra bit of class that can win 0-0's in the final few minutes is what makes a difference. All the players I mentioned were IMO world class and often proved to be the difference between winning the PL and not winning it.

That's the reason I want a world class player in the squad. Not so we can boast about how were putting it up to the big boys by splashing £60m but because I'm firmly of the belief that it is almost impossible to win the Premier League without one.

Sturridge may well develop into what I'm talking about and I truly hope he does. But if he doesn't or if he gets plagued by injury again I think we could really struggle to make the top four. I suppose that's why the Sanchez thing annoyed me, he was the perfect fit at the perfect time, just a shame the bright lights of Liverpool wasn't for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Andy Carroll has done his ankle ligaments in, and will be out for about 4 months!!!

Good old andy

Yeah, good old Andy….

sports-gifs-1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Stevie got the captaincy in October 2003 when he was 23.

Yes, but he was a freak!

Odds on us signing Reus have shortened from 7/2 to 15/8 somewhere between
    9 AM and now. Not a chance of it happening, but if they DID pull that off....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gbear wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the lads from this window (in 2 years time).

It's hard to say.

What are we trying to do this season? If the goal is to win the league then, while these signings have been excellent on the face of it in their own way, they're far from being ambitious enough.

If we're progressing along on our 5-year plan or whatever and the goal is to stick in the CL (with last season being an anomaly), then we're probably ok.

Unless we absolute nail that superstar, it might not be worth getting them just for the sake of it. If they're going to peak this season and next season, unless they're serious business I can't see it being enough to win the league.

On the other hand, if we solidify our position over 2 or 3 years and get within striking distance, then might be the time to go for the throat and get that superstar.

Without crazy money it'll be very difficult to maintain success so we might have to accept flittering around most of the time and taking a run at winning the big trophies once every few years.

growing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wgytl

we're gunna win the league, wgwtl

anygbu

and now you're gunna believe us, anygbu,
    wgWTL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

growing up?
    wgytl

we're gunna win the league, wgwtl

anygbu

and now you're gunna believe us, anygbu,
    wgWTL!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

After my fiasco with my memberships last week I got 2 tickets from the general sale next to each other for the saints game. Pretty lucky considering it was limited to 300. Now I don't have to go fishing for scummy touts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Divock Origi has arrived in United States to undergo his medical and confirm his £10 million signing * The Telegraph *

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Divock Origi has arrived in United States to undergo his medical and confirm his £10 million signing * The Telegraph *

This'll be about the 4th medical he's done for us at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »

Remys medical has been going on for about 4 days now.

5starpool wrote: »

I always wondered what they really did at a medical. If Charlie Adam can pass one though, I'm sure anyone can. They probably just dangled a Snickers in front of a treadmill for half an hour.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement