Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

John Henry saying that Suarez was sold to add depth to squad
    Good effort John, good effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkEfvWiLf8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

martyos121 wrote: »
    I always wondered what they really did at a medical. If Charlie Adam can pass one though, I'm sure anyone can. They probably just dangled a Snickers in front of a treadmill for half an hour.

Que the Homer Simpson "it's almost hypnotic" gif...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

John Henry saying that Suarez was sold to add depth to squad
    Good effort John, good effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkEfvWiLf8

He's hardly going to come out and say we sold him because we were fed up of the disciplinary issues.

And in any case if we spend 130m this summer we will have built the squad.

He's hardly going to come out and say we sold him because we were fed up of the disciplinary issues.

And in any case if we spend 130m this summer we will have built the squad.

He could just do what BR did and say the time was right to cash in, he wanted to leave etc etc
    Doesnt really matter though and im also looking forward to seeing our explosive offence this season

Mirror linking us with Gaitan again
    According to French station RMC, Liverpool are in a race with Atletico Madrid to sign Nicolas Gaitan . The Benfica attacking midfielder has been linked with a move to the Premier League on a few occasions in the last year and is thought to be sought-after once again. The player has been given the thumbs up for a move to Monaco, but the clubs have been unable to settle on a fee and the move looks set to break down. With a release clause of €45million, he would not come cheap, but the Reds have not been worried about splashing the cash this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't know what Henry is thinking saying all this about selling Suarez to add depth.
    It's like saying you'd sell your Ferrari for three or four Nissan Micras.

Don't know what Henry is thinking saying all this about selling Suarez to add depth.

Well if he goes and buys Reus and Vidal with the money its like selling a Ferrari to buy two other Ferraris. You really can never have enough Ferraris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

NukaCola wrote: »
    Gerrard has no role in our team? A player who scored 13 goals and had 13 assists last season?

I mean I'll be one of the first to say he shouldn't be viewed as a guaranteed starter but he certainly has a role to play and I would guess has a big part to play next season.
    Been taken for granted for so long now. People are going to get a serious shock when he does eventually call it a day.

Speaking of Gerrard. Had no one mentioned that he was going into the last year of his contract? Well, he's just signed a 1 year extension to take him up to 2016.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-liverpool-fc-contract-steven-7503927
    Brendan Rodgers says a new contract for Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is a formality this summer.

The talismanic midfielder has entered the final year of his current deal but the manager expects Gerrard to soon pen a 12-month extension.

The 34-year-old retired from international football earlier this week in order to focus on his club commitments and Rodgers believes he still has a huge amount left to offer at the highest level.

“I am very happy that Steven is now going to commit to Liverpool and I am sure that (his contract) is something that we will look at,” Rodgers said.

“He is in real good condition and I’m sure it is something that will happen at some point.

“Listen, for his own mind, I’m sure he will want it sorted out, absolutely. You never want to leave players with not too long to go on their contract.

“A lot has gone on at the club over the course of the summer. It is something I am sure will get sorted.”

Gerrard, who is third in the club's all-time appearance list on 669, flourished last season in a new role as a deep-lying playmaker.

He contributed 13 goals to the Reds' Premier League title challenge and Rodgers hailed him as the best controlling midfielder in Europe.

A 12-month extension to his current contract would keep him at Anfield until his 36th birthday in 2016.

“I know that Steven can continue to play on beyond this season. I have always said that,” Rodgers added.

“Now he doesn’t have international football, he will have that freshness. I think it is something that will be looked at by the club.”
    Can't have any arguments with that.

• Advertisement

Lallana and Markovic are hardly Micras now :)

But I get your point. Thing is though if we add a Vidal or Reus (I know he's not signing for us) then we will have strengthened the squad and added quality where we had very little last season.

If we had had injuries to Sturridge and Suarez last season at the same time we were looking at Aspas and Moses as our back up....

This coming season....Remy, Markovic, Sturridge, Borini (if he stays), Lambert, Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling can all play in the front 3. That can only be seen as an improvement in overall options. Admittedly with a gaping hole where Suarez used to be. Still time to let go... Suarez is gone we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

£190k a week according to the wireless....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gerrard was superb last season i thought. When he is gone we will especially miss the early pass he plays to create chances for Sturridge & Suarez. Coutinho is also great at sliding passes through as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

BMJD wrote: »
    £190k a week according to the wireless....

More like 90, would not be handling out a contract like that to someone his age.

The rag that is the daily star saying that its 150k a week
    Gerrard's decision will undoubtedly prolong his club career, and the Daily Star's Chris McKenna suggests his new deal will be worth £150,000-a-week, depicting just how highly the Merseysiders still value their long-term servant.

Gerrard doesn't belong in our fast, counter-attacking style of play.
    Eh? How did we score so many goals and play so well if Gerrard was in the team for most of last season then?

You don't need 11 quick players to play counter attacking football. Gerrard can function in the system fine because he is the deepest lying midfielder and has a good range of passing to actually release the counter attack.

• Advertisement

Very interesting if this is true
    Bundesliga Spotlight ‏@BundesligaSpot 1h
    Blick: Liverpool had an €18m bid for #FCBayern's Xherdan Shaqiri rejected. #LFC

Blick: Shaqiri's agent had a meeting with the #FCBayern board about extending the Swiss star's contract until 2018.

You don't need 11 quick players to play counter attacking football. Gerrard can function in the system fine because he is the deepest lying midfielder and has a good range of passing to actually release the counter attack.

Exactly ... goal Sturridge scored against Fulham away being a case in point. One stunning long range pass and Sturridge was away.

BR will always find a place for any player capable of doing something like this in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOQZbSoPPI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BR will always find a place for any player capable of doing something like this in a game

That was absolute filth.

Assist of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This guy is alright. We should keep him.

Dodgy music track, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Those YT videos always have dodgy tracks. I wouldn't mind a Suarez best of to the sound of AC/DC, that would be proper ****. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah here some of those goals are actually outrageous. Against arsenal and villa especially were superb.
    Lot of linking up with Sterling in that footage too, hopefully that becomes a big partnership for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Augmerson wrote: »

Shouldn't even get a game for the reserves. The video clearly shows a fella that's done at this level.

not a serious post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hey Mike if you use the you tube links instead of url links in the post it embeds the video :o

Like this

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Must have went to bed too early and missed this :pac:

http://liverpoolfc.com/match/last-match/match-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Remy passed his medical according to sky sports news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like that Remy does goals. And looks like a young Xzibit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Luis Alberto has just scored for Malaga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

KingJamsie wrote: »

https://vine.co/v/M0qgK2LUUV7

Missed the confirmation of this move, was wondering where he was pre season!

• Advertisement

KingJamsie wrote: »

https://vine.co/v/M0qgK2LUUV7
    Did the goalkeeper let that in on purpose? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The Count vs Roma

Can't wait to see him next season. He looks fresh and I can really seeing him stepping up to the plate and becoming the "Star" of this team :)
    That pivot and turn @ 2:50 was class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Whens our next match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

The Count vs Roma

Can't wait to see him next season. He looks fresh and I can really seeing him stepping up to the plate and becoming the "Star" of this team :)

Was disappointed for him that he missed out on the World Cup squad, but it looks like we might benefit from that now, and it's probably much better for him as well that he wasn't involved in the catastrophe that was Brazils last 2 matches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grayditch wrote: »
    Thats it!!!

I couldn't think who he reminded me of:)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Vicxas wrote: »
    Whens our next match?

Olympiacos, Sunday night.

Highlights of the Roma game on by sports1 @ 4 today for anyone that missed it.

The Count vs Roma

If he was wearing a barca jersey you would swear it was iniesta
    Sublime player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Grayditch wrote: »
    Id expect to hear a collaboration with Remy,Sturridge & Sterling soon.
    Remy - We Go Again ft D Stud & Raz

If he was wearing a barca jersey you would swear it was iniesta
    Sublime player

Mes que un 'Inho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Just skimming over the thread from last night, is Emre Can's surname really pronounced 'Chan'? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Did the goalkeeper let that in on purpose? :pac:

I've seen a few keepers do that over the years, going for a shot / header and then seeming to give up on it and then end up on their knees. I've never known if they think (wrongly) that it's going wide, or realise they're not going to make it (without looking like they're really trying).

It reminded me a little of Dida's 'attempt' of a save for Gerrard's goal in Istanbul. Not saying it wasn't a good header, but I always felt like it looked like Dida gave up on it...

J.

Just skimming over the thread from last night, is Emre Can's surname really pronounced 'Chan'? :confused:

Yeah. And his middle name is, 'Jackie'.

Yep. His name is spelled Çan, the letter Ç is a different letter in the Turkish alphabet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Well, you chan if you want to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english-league/2014/0725/633059-vidal-appears-to-rule-out-man-utd-move/
    Speaking on his return to Turin following a post-World Cup holiday, Gazzetta dello Sport reported Vidal as saying: "Can I say that I stay at Juve? I do not know. I will talk with [new Juve coach Massimiliano] Allegri then we'll see. I'm happy here.
    "I have not yet spoken with Allegri and even with my friends, I do not go to Manchester."

Vidal to Liverpool is pretty certain now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I highly doubt we will sign Vidal.

But I would love to see just to see all the back tracking in Manchester about not wanting him in the first place etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

The Count vs Roma

[/YOUTUBE]

Looking very sharp already.

Here's hoping Brendan has him doing some shooting practice - his shot selection and technique can let him down at times. If he can add a few more goals to his game and impose a bigger threat around the box he looks ready to step up another level on CL stage.

Olympiacos, Sunday night.

Highlights of the Roma game on by sports1 @ 4 today for anyone that missed it.

Who just beat Milan 3-0, while doing this:

ImpureMajorBoubou.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The commentator was pronouncing it 'Shan'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Read that Atletico were going to gazump us on Origi.

I'd be happy enough to be honest. Don't think he'd add much beyond what we have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement