Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Fescue wrote: »
    Liverpool is a big commercial juggernaut these days, do you think sponsors might have an impact on his future at LFC?

No.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Haven't read in here today, but here's is my general opinion on the topic du jour.

Even though I really didn't think they would ban him from all football he personally deserves the punishment, but it is obviously harsh on Liverpool. It's hard to find a balance where he is punished properly without some collateral damage, but it doesn't stop me being irritated because it leaves Liverpool short. I hope there is a stupid ban clause in his contract that will stop him being paid while suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

I hope we sell him now tbh, before the ban I was grand with keeping him but that 4 month ban's really changed my mind, is it true he can't train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

ush wrote: »
    Would he kill his granny?

:D

Eamo really does deplore Johnny's views on cynical football.

I thought the N Ireland said it best, that LFC are the ones that have worked so hard with him and that they kept his nose clean all season, and simply that the club shouldn't be brought into something that didn't happen on their watch.

Sadlier I also thought was quite good. He didn't say a lot, but you could tell that he was struggling to justify a ban either way. Telling from a man whose career was ended by a bad tackle (albeit "not the worst" as he put it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

niallo27 wrote: »
    Big gamble on Easter spirit in the 8:30 at tipp if anyone is interested. Good word for him.

Nice one - He came in 3rd

I backed him each way :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

ush wrote: »
    No.

Didn't Standard Chartered make noises the last time this happened? Perhaps I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Serious question. What do people think the punishment will be if he does this again, under the jurisdiction of the English FA? I'd guess a minimum 1 year ban, and possibly much more. Is he still worth keeping when that's not a terribly unlikely scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

x43r0 wrote: »
    Nice one - He came in 3rd

I backed him each way :cool:

Never really in it. He was 55/1 on the exchange this morning and 25s on paddypower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

MD1990 wrote: »
    Will he be allowed to play Fifa 14 with Enrique?

Isn't Enrique dead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Serious question. What do people think the punishment will be if he does this again, under the jurisdiction of the English FA? I'd guess a minimum 1 year ban, and possibly much more. Is he still worth keeping when that's not a terribly unlikely scenario?

A punishment that would ruin his career, a 2 year ban or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Didn't Standard Chartered make noises the last time this happened? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Yes..and they have already said they are waiting for Liverpool to get FIFA report before making their own response. Not that they have any moral high ground considering their chequered past

And with their own troubles - 20% drop in profits I can see us changing main sponsor soon enough anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Isn't Enrique dead?

He was bitten by Suarez before he died. He's a zombie now

Yes. And then the NY Dept of Financial Services dragged them over the coals for financial irregularities. LFC should have a word with Standard Chartered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Liverpool is a big commercial juggernaut these days, do you think sponsors might have an impact on his future at LFC?

No, as according to some posters here they will love all this publicity and Suarez is pure box office.:rolleyes:

Yes..and they have already said they are waiting for Liverpool to get FIFA report before making their own response. Not that they have any moral high ground considering their chequered past

And with their own troubles - 20% drop in profits I can see us changing main sponsor soon enough anyway

Maybe they're looking for an out!

It may well have no impact but we have seen sponsors intervene in situations where someone is disgraced. Because thats what he's done. Disgraced himself.

Maybe they're looking for an out!

Grand so. Plenty of punters wanting to have their brand immortalised in polyester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, as according to some posters here they will love all this publicity and Suarez is pure box office.:rolleyes:

When it takes a third bite I'd doubt the likes of Adidas's sincerity tbh, I suppose big business even has ethics when it comes to hitting them in their pockets. And yes he is box office!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It may well have no impact but we have seen sponsors intervene in situations where someone is disgraced. Because thats what he's done. Disgraced himself.

Its a rinse/repeat cycle. Disgrace/Punishment/Resurrection.

Plenty of positive publicity to be rung of of Luis.

• Advertisement

Will somebody please think of the shareholders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Morzadec wrote: »
    20m pounds and Sanchez (hypothetically) offered for Suarez (which would probably be enough for Shaqiri). Would you take it? I probably would

NO WAY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hate is such a strong word :(

Having just read the new Suarez thread,"hate" isn't half strong enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Oh Luis Luis Luis, you have really fcked us over this time, you have managed to reduce your value to Liverpool or else miss about 12 games of the new season, fcking hell.

Morzadec wrote: »
    20m pounds and Sanchez (hypothetically) offered for Suarez (which would probably be enough for Shaqiri). Would you take it? I probably would

That's the sort of offer that'll be coming I'd imgine.

No way anyone will pay over 50m for him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

rarnes1 wrote: »

He won't be sold so!

It'll be interesting to see where Liverpool will draw the line on this one now in terms of the risk/reward keeping him and selling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Personally I'd rather Luis was banned until October and still with us than sold to Barca this summer.

Also,by being not allowed to train with the team either as part of this, it is effectively a 5 month ban really in terms of match and ball sharpness. He can do some work on his own with personal trainers, etc I'm sure, but that doesn't come close to replicating proper training. Might not be Liverpool's problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Not allowed train, not even allowed to attend matches, Fifa seem hellbent on preventing Luis deriving any pleasure from the game of football. I'm only surprised they haven't tried to have him IP blocked and his tv licence revoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

There has to be a point were the out comes of a players behaviour outweighs his contribution to the club, and surely this is it.

Theres no denying his footballing skill, but this is the third time this has happened, and the second time its had an impact on Liverpool FC. Hopefully there is some clause in the contract re behavior, disciplinary, etc etc.

Yes if he does say, there's no doubt he could do again what he did last season re performance, however if this punishment also includs not being allowed to train with the club, surely its time to considering selling, if they have not done so already.

On a personal note, I dont think I'd be disapointed if he never pulled on a Liverpool shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Have not read the thread today as i am sure since the ban was made public a lot of SH1t has been written.......but my questions are:

1. Could Liverpool go after the Uruguayan FA for his wages/loss of income??? Maybe some sort of compensation??? Happened when playing for them.......
    2. Will FSG and Brenden stand by him this time??? Or will they cut their losses and ship him out to save image....seem to remember after the last case they said it was his final chance or am i dreaming???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

One thing I've been noticing when the idea of Suarez being sold for big money comes up, is that people don't think he can be replaced with the money, even if it's in Gareth bale territory.
    They cite spurs spending and failure last season as for the why it shouldn't be contemplated.
    Out until October and likely needing another few weeks to get into the game, is a serious amount of time out of the season. The important part of the champions league.
    I think he can be replaced with good spending and to go for maybe 4-5 players with extra funds alongside the Suarez sale, can fill and even surpass what Suarez gives to the team.
    Sanchez, a lb/rb, another forward, midfielder one creative and more defensive would improve the team no end. They need to be quality signings like Sanchez and not gambles/potential signings though, or at least heavily weighted for proven players (not premiership proven but just quality).

Personally I'd rather Luis was banned until October and still with us than sold to Barca this summer.

Same.

He's capable of starting in November and banging in 20 goals.

• Advertisement

Same.

He's capable of doing this again and getting banned from football for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    One thing I've been noticing when the idea of Suarez being sold for big money comes up, is that people don't think he can be replaced with the money, even if it's in Gareth bale territory.
    They cite spurs spending and failure last season as for the why it shouldn't be contemplated.
    Out until October and likely needing another few weeks to get into the game, is a serious amount of time out of the season. The important part of the champions league.
    I think he can be replaced with good spending and to go for maybe 4-5 players with extra funds alongside the Suarez sale, can fill and even surpass what Suarez gives to the team.
    Sanchez, a lb/rb, another forward, midfielder one creative and more defensive would improve the team no end. They need to be quality signings like Sanchez and not gambles/potential signings though, or at least heavily weighted for proven players (not premiership proven but just quality).

All depends if you believe the club would sign some genuine quality players with the Suarez money.

Not sure I do to be honest. We seem to have great difficulty concluding transfers at the best of times.

Suarez may be a nutter but at least you know what you're getting. A world-class footballer. Flaws and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Your forgetting that Ayre has barely signed any top class players. Its very unlikely we will get Sanchez tbh by just looking at Ayre's track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

There's nothing like a Suarez biting incident to show you how dumb a lot of people are.

How did we get so far as a civilisation while carrying so many silly cnuts along the way?

Get the lad proper help should be the first thing the club do. Proper help. Obviously he has some underlying mental issues.

Sort him and out and he might be ok.

He went through the whole season almost perfectly, was he even booked not sure. Then bang, a moment of madness. Head scratching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He seemed pretty well behaved when playing for Liverpool since the Ivanovic incident. Probably because of the presence of Steve Peters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

djPSB wrote: »
    He seemed pretty well behaved when playing for Liverpool since the Ivanovic incident. Probably because of the presence of Steve Peters.

He hasn't had the best of times lately really! Liverpool failed to win the league, Ronnie lost the World Final and England get knocked out after two games in the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Does anyone think that a player would ever refuse to play against suarez in fear of getting a bite?

Chance worth taking. You could but a 50 million player and he could break his leg in his 2nd game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Same.

As Fescue said, what happens when he comes back and is targeted by defenders, and he will be, looking for the 'fame' of taking Suarez out?

This last season, he was targeted by heavy tackles in nearly every game but didn't retaliate except by scoring goals.

I am starting to think with the length of the ban and stopping him even training with the club it may not be worth the risk any more.

I love the guy but the odds have dramatically shifted against him staying trouble free in even the short term not to mind the medium term.

Get the lad proper help should be the first thing the club do. Proper help. Obviously he has some underlying mental issues.

Sort him and out and he might be ok.

He went through the whole season almost perfectly, was he even booked not sure. Then bang, a moment of madness. Head scratching.

The whole situation is insane.

I haven't been able to form a real opinion on the best way forward for all concerned. In some ways a move to Spain might be better for Suarez sanity. I actually worry for the chaps mental well being after all this.

diceyd wrote: »
    Does anyone think that a player would ever refuse to play against suarez in fear of getting a bite?

Turkey have announce they will boycott any games against Uruguay.

Just looking at some stats there. Despite all the bans Suarez still played more league games than the likes of Rooney, van Persie, augero and yaya toure in the last 3 years. Maybe the bans are keeping him fit and fresh.

5live wrote: »
    As Fescue said, what happens when he comes back and is targeted by defenders, and he will be, looking for the 'fame' of taking Suarez out?

This last season, he was targeted by heavy tackles in nearly every game but didn't retaliate except by scoring goals.

I am starting to think with the length of the ban and stopping him even training with the club it may not be worth the risk any more.

I love the guy but the odds have dramatically shifted against him staying trouble free in even the short term not to mind the medium term.

I can see a lot of premiership defenders rubbing ketchup on their shoulders in the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Wonder if like last year it's to force through a deal.

He's not replaceable.... But we may start looking

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement