Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

kfallon wrote: »
    Fúck it anyway, Remy = goals!

I'm gutted, please don't spunk £20m+ on Bony, decent player but a very underwhelming signing imo

Interesting that you want the £8m player because of the goals he scores, but don't want the £20m player despite the 17 league goals he scored.

The likelihood is Remy was priced so cheap because of this medical problem. It also explains his pay cut. Personally I'd much rather a fit Bony at £20m than an unfit Remy at £8m.

joe123 wrote: »
    The great thing about Remy is that he could have played as the lone striker too. Now we are back to Ricky ****ing Lambert if Sturridge gets injured.

Surely the great thing about Remy failing his medical is that we have time and money to get an alternative in, rather than spend both on a player who likely won't be fit to lead the line as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gutted that he has failed his medical, was definitely a good option and as I am sure I have read others saying, he could have been a lone striker and done a job for us.

May as well just get Reus now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Not sure if ya heard. Remy failed his medical. And no Rickie Lambert is not good enough to lead the line if Sturridge gets injured.

Feel free to put your rose tinted specs back on though.

No rose tinted spectacles. I just have a bit more respect for a player that hasn't even been given a chance to show what he can do for us yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Not sure if ya heard. Remy failed his medical. And no Rickie Lambert is not good enough to lead the line if Sturridge gets injured.

Feel free to put your rose tinted specs back on though.

I didn't realise the transfer window closed with Remy failing his medical. Terrible blow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Interesting that you want the £8m player because of the goals he scores, but don't want the £20m player despite the 17 league goals he scored.

The likelihood is Remy was priced so cheap because of this medical problem. It also explains his pay cut. Personally I'd much rather a fit Bony at £20m than an unfit Remy at £8m.

We should have been going all out for Bony before even looking at Remy. Much better prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Surely the great thing about Remy failing his medical is that we have time and money to get an alternative in, rather than spend both on a player who likely won't be fit to lead the line as you suggest.

Not arguing the fact that if the club feel he wasnt right medically then to pull out.

Concerned though that links all Summer were with the likes of Wilfred Bony and Jay Rodriguez.

Neither good enough and Bony at 20 million is insane. Sturridge is injury prone and the fact is we will struggle if Lambert and Borini are our only alternatives.

Name one transfer we have made so far that strengtens our first 11? All business we have done this summer improves the squad but flies in the face of what Rodgers stated he wanted.

The league starts in 22 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Remy has done it for QPR and Newcastle, Bony could (but might not) be a one season wonder like Newcastle's Cissé or indeed our very own Andy Carroll. Plus we will be paying over twice as much for Bony as we were going to pay for Remy.

Bony is a decent footballer from what we've seen but I think £20m is too much for him. Will happily eat humble pie, my hat and me flute if he gets 20 league goals for Liverpool this season tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Bony has proven his quality.

If we played in a more deliberate and control-oriented style he could well slot in perfectly.

But as it is he doesn't seem to fit with the high-pressing, aggressive and direct style that characterised us last season and has characterised most of our signings.

• Advertisement

Joe what happened you used to be one of the optimistic ones!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Joe what happened you used to be one of the optimistic ones!

Suarez + our summer transfers :(

Suarez + our summer transfers :(

More players will come in, it's early days. I'd rather they come in asap as it's 3 weeks to the first game.

But yeah, it's been underwhelming so far

Not arguing the fact that if the club feel he wasnt right medically then to pull out.

Concerned though that links all Summer were with the likes of Wilfred Bony and Jay Rodriguez.

Neither good enough and Bony at 20 million is insane. Sturridge is injury prone and the fact is we will struggle if Lambert and Borini are our only alternatives.

Name one transfer we have made so far that strengtens our first 11? All business we have done this summer improves the squad but flies in the face of what Rodgers stated he wanted.

The league starts in 22 days.

Personally I don't think it's possible to improve our starting 11 on last season's since Suarez left. Right now, any fast, powerful player who knows where the goal is would thrive in this squad and improve our first team on what it is presently.

In any case, our squad outside the first team was horrific. If you think only first-teamers needed replacement I think you might be barking up the wrong tree when assessing our business so far.

By the way, we won't be looking at Rodriguez as an alternative to Remy. He's even less fit to play than Remy is right now.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Remy has done it for QPR and Newcastle, Bony could (but might not) be a one season wonder like Newcastle's Cissé or indeed our very own Andy Carroll. Plus we will be paying over twice as much for Bony as we were going to pay for Remy.

Bony is a decent footballer from what we've seen but I think £20m is too much for him. Will happily eat humble pie, my hat and me flute if he gets 20 league goals for Liverpool this season tho!

Bony has had one season in the PL but take a look at his record elsewhere if you think there's a risk of him being a one-season wonder. And as I said, the medical issue explains Remy's low price. If Remy was 100% fit but also cost £20m, would you be happy to pay it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Actually pretty sickened about Remy, think he's a very good footballer who would get goals, and a front 3 of Sturridge, Remy and Sterling would be **** to play against.

On the other hand the medical team have certain issues they can't take a risk on, so **** happens.

I'm not sure what way they'll go with it but it does leave the door open for a particularly exciting striker purchase, which would be a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Lambert borini and bony is piss poor strike force cover for sturridge. Not good enough for champions league. No pace at all there and a huge Downgrade on what we had last season. I really hope we don't blow 20m on bony, we need to get a pacy striker he can press defenders and score goals at the highest level. Bony strikes me of more of target man kind of striker, we have a cheaper version of him in Lambert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bony has had one season in the PL but take a look at his record elsewhere if you think there's a risk of him being a one-season wonder. And as I said, the medical issue explains his low price. If Remy was 100% fit but also cost £20m, would you be happy to pay it?

Ceteris Paribus I'd rather have Remy than Bony, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wonder if we could get Remy on loan. He is surely going to fail medicals at every club and doesn't seem to want to play for QPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I wonder if we could get Remy on loan. He is surely going to fail medicals at every club and doesn't seem to want to play for QPR.

In my opinion Remy was seen as a cheaper alternative to Bony. Just push for Bony. We know there are not many quality goal scorers out there.

Personally I don't think it's possible to improve our starting 11 on last season's since Suarez left. Right now, any fast, powerful player who knows where the goal is would thrive in this squad and improve our first team on what it is presently.

In any case, our squad outside the first team was horrific. If you think only first-teamers needed replacement I think you might be barking up the wrong tree when assessing our business so far.

By the way, we won't be looking at Rodriguez as an alternative to Remy. He's even less fit to play than Remy is right now.

Fair enough on the replacement of Suarez, its not possible but we definitely need an upgrade on Borini/Lambert. I wonder is the delay on Borini leaving linked to Remys medical?

We needed a new left back, we needed a defensive midfielder, we needed a right back. Can has looked good in pre season but like all our signings its more potential than anything else.

If someone said these are your signings, you would argue that this is the best we can do without Champions League. The thing is we havent brought in one player that would dislodge ANY of our first 11.

For teams that want to challenge for titles, you need your top players battling other players for their places. Say if Sturridges form drops, would you be confident with Lambert stepping in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Insurance might still be an issue and its also possible that this may be more than just an annoyance for internet posters, and the Remy heart condition that has been lurking is now more acute. We don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fescue wrote: »
    In my opinion Remy was seen as a cheaper alternative to Bony. Just push for Bony. We know there are not many quality goal scorers out there.

Would bony not just be an out and out striker. For 20 million he would have to be a regular starter which means 2 up front. The great thing about Remy is you could use him out wide and centrally if sturridge is out. Maybe Rodgers plans to keep 2 up front I've just got it into my head that with suarez gone it will be sturridge centrally flanked by 2 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Apparently Remy was set to wear No.7 as well.

Guess we'll just give that jersey to Reus instead.

Fair enough on the replacement of Suarez, its not possible but we definitely need an upgrade on Borini/Lambert. I wonder is the delay on Borini leaving linked to Remys medical?

We needed a new left back, we needed a defensive midfielder, we needed a right back. Can has looked good in pre season but like all our signings its more potential than anything else.

If someone said these are your signings, you would argue that this is the best we can do without Champions League. The thing is we havent brought in one player that would dislodge ANY of our first 11.

For teams that want to challenge for titles, you need your top players battling other players for their places. Say if Sturridges form drops, would you be confident with Lambert stepping in?

I reckon we could easily play a 4-3-3 with Markovic playing instead of Suarez, with Sterling opposite, ahead of 3 from Gerrard/Can/Hendo/Coutinho/Allen. Of course all of this is moot because we're definitely in the market for another striker, just as we're clearly in for a new starting full back or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I would be happy with Lambert stepping in, tbh.

We will be playing with a different focus this year, more varied formations against different teams depending on form and fitness of our squad.

Lambert isn't the only striker we will have come the end of the transfer window but his ability to hold up play and bring others into play allied to his heading ability will be a big addition to our matchday squad.

The squad was poor last year with a choice of 14 players to play. Now we have a very good squad and some different options in our first 11. Yes, the first team is weaker but, imo, the squad is better allowing better substitutions and rotation of off form players without weakening the first 11 a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Lovren is a done and fingers crossed it is.

Then we still need IMO a Keeper, LB, RB & a Striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hope we have a plan B in place now.

Feel sorry for the guy, how often does one fail a medical at this level of sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He wasn't "priced" cheap at all. The player himself insisted on an 8.5 million buyout clause for any Champions league club before he signed his original contract. The club are probably delighted they get to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

The Transfer Period isn't over and yet we are already having Meltdowns.

This Place.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Screen_Shot_2014_07_27_at_17_40_50.png

Borini looking to cool off the rumours that he's leaving?

We paid to much for Lallana & Markovic. We are paying to much for Lovren.

We are not signing Remy, Richie Lambert isn't good enough!

We sold our best player for only £$€60/65/70/75m depending on who you believe.

The season is over before it starts!!

I love this thread so much :D

Total_Drama_Meltdown_Part_1_by_vonmatrix5000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cjs21 wrote: »

Christ on a wobbly bike, Fab is on the sauce?! :pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    He wasn't "priced" cheap at all. The player himself insisted on an 8.5 million buyout clause for any Champions league club before he signed his original contract. The club are probably delighted they get to keep him.

I'd be skeptical of that TBH. All I've heard from Redknapp on the issue of Remy leaving suggests that they would be very happy to be rid of him - publicly stating he has a low clause, 'if it was up to me I'd sell him', etc. I put it down to his reputation/character before but this medical issue explains it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'd be skeptical of that TBH. All I've heard from Redknapp on the issue of Remy leaving suggests that they would be very happy to be rid of him - publicly stating he has a low clause, 'if it was up to me I'd sell him', etc. I put it down to his reputation/character before but this medical issue explains it too.

QPR love nothing more than an over the hill has-been on high wages. They need to offload Remy's salary to keep Rio & CO. in check.

Harry couldn't lie straight in bed.

T-K-O wrote: »
    QPR love nothing more than an over the hill has-been on high wages. They need to offload Remy's salary to keep Rio & CO. in check.

Harry couldn't lie straight in bed.

I think the idea of QPR wanting to keep Remy is completely at odds with what I've read from Redknapp. That's all I'm saying. It wouldn't benefit Redknapp to say "I'd sell him i was up to me, p.s. he has a very low release clause" if the club had any intention of keeping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I really want a subway now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cjs21 wrote: »

Borini is being economical and perhaps it's cheaper for him to fly into Liverpool and get the train to Sunderland rather than fly direct to Sunderland? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What channel is the match on tonight?

If Erin O’Neill wanted to go to Timbuktu I'd happily follow let alone the City of Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

ollie1 wrote: »
    What channel is the match on tonight?

Sky sports 1 ,man city vs ac milan is on before it @20:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Was watching a few rte sport youtube videos earlier and came across one with Didi, Giles and Dunphy talking about Roy Keane. Didi barely got a word in until the end where Bill asked who he preferred playing against; Veiria or Keane? He said Keane because it was the easier game for him. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Do you seriously think the club would sign a player on loan that failed a medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Finally gt around to sorting out my access after the World Cup

Disappointing about Remy but hopefully we can get a better option

Will be very happy with Lovern if he is confirmed tomorrow and happy in general with some of the players coming in as I do think having options and the system are more important than buying star power

That being said I wouldn't be against splashing the cash for a big name if the right signing became available

looking forward to the game tonight, hopefully we get to see more of the new boys, Can impressed me the last night

So good news or more bad news??
    LFC TV
    @LFCTV
    “We’ve got exclusive news coming up on Matchday Live. For more info tune in from 10 pm BST”

Hoping it's pictures of someone new leaning against something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Big Andy is coming back, I can feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It'll be the starting 11 for tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sounds good. I hope. By Jesus I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The lovren announcement apparently, maybe the origi one too?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Apparently Lovren said his signing would be announced tonight at 11pm CET, which is 10pm our time, so I reckon it's that, possibly with Origi as well. Must have been waiting for the Remi thing to play out.

It's the Lovren deal alright :D:D
    "I signed a contract with Liverpool on Saturday night, and the club would officially announce the transfer should now late in the evening, about 23 hours," the brief we contacted Dejan Lovren with new information from Liverpool.

http://gol.dnevnik.hr/clanak/rubrika/nogomet/dejan-lovren-za-gol-hr-potpisao-sam-ugovor-s-liverpoolom---345744.html

Not sure if this is an old picture or not.

But he has the start of a sleeve tattoo so he will fit in well:P
    60966512-dejan-lovren.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement