Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I know hes just come on and is fresh but the difference lambert made pressing the ball in his first 19 seconds on the pitch is blindingly showing sturriges half arsedness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Game has gone flat, but we're still the better team here.

Usually does after a ball of substitutions. I've had enough...early start. Enjoy the rest of it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Has Joe Allen been pretty terrible or is it just me?

Probably just you.

To me he's been our Best Midfield Player, in this Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just you:)

He's lost the ball on a couple occasions but has actually played ok for most.

Overall a standard pre season game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Coutinho getting closer at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I think he's doing fine, nothing spectacular, just recycling possession well, deffo not terrible imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Probably just you.

To me he's been our Best Midfield Player, in this Game.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just you:)

He's lost the ball on a couple occasions but has actually played ok for most.

Overall a standard pre season game.

Yeah he did well there. He keeps losing the ball though and he defensive positioning is all over the shop.

Meh its preseason. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Poor ball from Coutinho. Some good build up play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Coutinho getting closer at least.

How often do we hear that though!

Allen doing a Gerrard amirite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Vital tackle from Coates there, just nudged the ball ahead of the defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jaysus me heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sturridge looks sharp. Which gives me a lot of confidence.

Thought he looked very poor myself! :confused:

I know its late but I kinda want penalties.

Your man was too honest, could have ran into Jones and got the penalty.

Good challenge from Coates.

Allen was to casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

That was a whopper of a mistake by Allen, could have been very costly

Got away with it thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Commentator with I bee! Has to do his homework

The one that really Surprises me is Coates.

I don't think he has put a Foot wrong, in any of the Games he has played, in our Preseason so far.

I don't think he has put a Foot wrong, in any of the Games he has played, in our Preseason so far.

He's been a gem since he came back from injury.

• Advertisement

Commentator with I bee! Has to do his homework
    Thats how its pronounced isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lucas just realised he only has three minutes to get booked.

From the man himself: https://vine.co/v/hA6eumlJ1Ki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

What you's make of him? i remember seeing him a few years ago in the Copa America and he looked like a great player for his age, Almost forget about him these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

bmcc10 wrote: »
    What you's make of him? i remember seeing him a few years ago in the Copa America and he looked like a great player for his age, Almost forget about him these days.

Since then he declined, but he's at an age where he could easily improve again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coates & ILori as back up to Sakho & Lovren maybe.

Agger & Skrtel sold maybe.

• Advertisement

He is just off the pace of being a great player, not sure there is much that can be done about that. He'd do really well in a slower paced league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not by his tribe.

Solid performances from Skrtel and Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brad Jones is seriously underrated. He's never gonna compete with Migs or Reina, but he's more than solid when he comes in for them. Very rarely see a mistake from him.

Great save by Jones.

• Advertisement

Kolo%20Toure

That was a decent semi-competitive match to help get us prepared, Olympiacos certainly didn't hold back, so hopefully it helps us with match sharpness. Other than Johnson being rubbish, we looked good value for the win. Sterling without a doubt was our key man, he had the opposition defenders pulled all over the place and finished his chance well. Can showed a great engine in the first half and might just be a box to box type player we've been looking for. Markovic showed some great feet, hopefully with games, his final ball will improve. Sturridge looked a little rusty, but he often does but can still score, definitely needs more games. Roll on Man City :)

FT: 1-0 LFC. Nice to get a win, pretty good performance overall.

GET THE FÚCK IN 3 POINTS

OUR YEAR

#WE'REGOINGTOWINTHELEAGUE

Coates is an Odd One.

Before I always thought that he looked so Labored in the Games he played for us. It's like every Move he makes, feels like his Body is Submerged under Water.

But now, there's like a Spring in his Step.

Is as if, getting Injured (a Major One at that), made him actually Move better.

It's definitely Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Be very interested to see if robbo gets a look back in. Was a big fan of him before his loan to wolves/blackpool.

I'm horrified that sky just called this tournament "prestigious"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Coates is an Odd One.

Before I always thought that he looked so Labored in the Games he played for us. It's like every Move he makes, feels like his Body is Submerged under Water.

It's definitely Weird.

It's the Sakho effect! A year of watching him and Coates is a fckn ballet dancer!

martyos121 wrote: »
    Brad Jones is seriously underrated. He's never gonna compete with Migs or Reina, but he's more than solid when he comes in for them. Very rarely see a mistake from him.

Ah now. I've defended him the past but he's been caught out more than once in this preseason alone with poor positioning. Fine for a third choice and keeping the glorious hair quota up, but I wouldn't like him playing between the sticks outside of the odd cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Coates is an Odd One.

It's definitely Weird.

Coates doesnt have much pace but is very composed on the ball and reads the game very well. Not sure if he has the pace to make it in the Premier League but he'd be great in Italy or Spain.

El Inho wrote: »
    Be very interested to see if robbo gets a look back in. Was a big fan of him before his loan to wolves/blackpool.

I'm horrified that sky just called this tournament "prestigious"

Robo looks decent going Forward, but I don't have much Faith in his Defensive Skills.

I've lost count the Number of Times, he got Beat.

You know what? I'd rather play Flano than Robo.

We're going to get Murdered, if we are going to play Johnson and Robo as FBs. Since both are Defensive Liabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Liked what I saw from Kelly, Coates and Lambert in the 2nd half.

It'd be great if we could get a good young RB in and give him, Kelly and Flanno a chance to stake a claim.

It's plain as day that Lambert isn't just some lump. Lovely touch off both feet and his chest, has enough of a brain to both make runs and spot them and the execution to knit it all together.

Not sure how you can talk about selling Skrtel and replacing him with Coates when Skrtel himself has been faultless in pre-season. Indeed, you could also argue that Kelly has been faultless.

We dont seem as leaky in defence so far.

And with Mignolet, Sakho and Lovren still to play. Just hope we can get at least one starting FB in.

Suarez kept giving the ball to the opposition with all the goals he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not sure how you can talk about selling Skrtel and replacing him with Coates when Skrtel himself has been faultless in pre-season. Indeed, you could also argue that Kelly has been faultless.

It's just right now with the number of CB's we have and Sakho and Lovren nailed on starters, Skrtel and Agger's value in the transfer market make them the top two to be sold.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Coates doesnt have much pace but is very composed on the ball and reads the game very well. Not sure if he has the pace to make it in the Premier League but he'd be great in Italy or Spain.
    I still have nightmares about the time Coates was destroyed in the cup by Matt Smith, a journeyman from the lower leagues. Based on that, a big, fast, strong attacker like Benteke would just destroy him. Also, you're going to have cynical fookers like Cahill and Terry who will intimidate and pressurize him when defending set pieces. Before Coates gets let anywhere near the team again, you'd want to see him play well against these type of players first.

I don't think he will get the chance though.

I still have nightmares about the time Coates was destroyed in the cup by Matt Smith, a journeyman from the lower leagues. Based on that, a big, fast, strong attacker like Benteke would just destroy him. Also, you're going to have cynical fookers like Cahill and Terry who will intimidate and pressurize him when defending set pieces. Before Coates gets let anywhere near the team again, you'd want to see him play well against these type of players first.

I don't think he will get the chance though.

The above post could just as easily apply to Agger or Skrtel. Both were shown up against more physical strikers, including lower league ones. The home game vs Villa still haunts me.

It's just right now with the number of CB's we have and Sakho and Lovren nailed on starters, Skrtel and Agger's value in the transfer market make them the top two to be sold.
    Agger is gone, I have no doubt about that. Skrtel will certainly be staying. Whatever you say about value, after the season he just had, I can't see Rodgers selling our best defender. Ilori has been unfortunate, but he definitely fits the mold as a Rodgers player, he has the balling playing skills, he's fast and from what we've seen so far, he at very least looks ok defensively. With Kelly getting a fair bit of game time, I suspect he'll be kept around as well.

• Advertisement

The above post could just as easily apply to Agger or Skrtel. Both were shown up against more physical strikers, including lower league ones. The home game vs Villa still haunts me.
    I'm not going to defend Agger, his rapid decline (and it has been rapid considering he was once one of the best defenders in the league) has been puzzling.

Skrtel is different though. Yes, he has made mistakes, but the majority of his games, he has been very good. Also his offensive threat has been insane. His goal tally from last season is testament to that. He's a proven Premier League player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement