Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

Agger has never been one of the best defenders in the league, far from it. I always thought he was weak defensively, particularly in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Screw you guys. 7 pages since I last checked in, so I was expecting some exciting news but nope it's just 7 pages of Johnson bashing, some mad bigging up of Jones and only a little bit of leaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jones is like a new signing for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I think we can all agree that if Rodgers manages to keep Brad Jones it'll be the best piece of business he's done all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can somebody please photoshop a picture of Brad Jones leaning on an out-of-position Glen Johnson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

5live wrote: »
    He is supposed to be unhappy playing out wide to facilitate Ibrahimovich. A few murmurs of interest in him but i reckon he's out of our price range. Pastore would be a better bet from PSG i think.

Pity about Griezmann going to Athleti. Looks a super player.

Have absolutely no sympathy for Cavani. He knew he would be played out wide to accomadate Zlatan when he signed, if he didnt he over estimated himself big time, but had no problem signing for all that cash. Now he is unhappy, well boo hoo!! :mad:
    Fescue wrote: »
    People who don't like marzipan are generally social outcasts and do poorly in school. Seen a documentary on it.

Haha, in your face, I actualy did quite well in school!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Lads...

How did Johnson play last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Does anyone know why Assaidi isn't on the tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Robo looks decent going Forward, but I don't have much Faith in his Defensive Skills.

I've lost count the Number of Times, he got Beat.

You know what? I'd rather play Flano than Robo.

We're going to get Murdered, if we are going to play Johnson and Robo as FBs. Since both are Defensive Liabilities.

Not trying to be smart, but what's with the capital letters thrown in all over the place? Think I'd nearly prefer text speak :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Assaidi isn't on the tour?

Did he not sign for Stoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Knex. wrote: »
    Did he not sign for Stoke?

Wage demands are too high seemingly but I'd say it will go through. It's hard to see him breaking into the bench at this stage never mind the Starting 11

Jay Rodriguez links are heating up. I for one hope they don't go for him due to the injury, nobody has seen him play since so no idea how he's recovered and how it's affected him, plus Southampton would surely quote a stupid price over the players that have left already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surely we can do better than Jay ****ing Rodriguez. Seriously like if that is the extent of our ambition for a striker we are ****ed.
    I have no problem with us spending our money on squad players for any other area but there is a gaping Suarezless hole right now in our first XI that needs filling with genuine quality. Be it a striker or versatile forward player.

If Jay Rodriguez signs my mode will change from patient to concerned.

I'm hoping there's nothing in those stiories and we have our expectation set higher.

He's a decent player but either him or Lambert would be decent as backup, no need for both of them!

Would not be happy if we are actually in for Rodriguez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Not signing Remey because of medical issues. Then getting Rodriguez who won't play until at least the end of october because of an ACL injury would make little sense. A striker who I think could be great for us would be Aubameyang.

LiverHampton

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

I cant see Rodriguez getting much game time after Reus Falcao and Vidal sign

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I like Jay, but he is out injured til December and has not signed a new contract with Southampton.
    If we were to move for him, it would be January where we will know how the rehab went and will be even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

While I'm fairly happy with our transfers so far this summer, when it comes to a new striker I'm so underwhelmed by our targets. Bony and Remy - while both good players, I can't see them setting the league alight. I don't want Rodriguez in either. I'm really looking forward to seeing Can develop as a player and both Markovic/Lallana are exciting. I would love to see us try and land a really top class striker though.

• Advertisement

BREAKING: Liverpool have announced the signing of Southampton's tea lady for a fee believed to be in the region of £17 million pounds. This could rise to £20 million with add-ons.

BtlKip_IEAAOCmj.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lacazette IMO would be a very good signing. Good goal scoring record last season, bags of pace and skill and a fairly intelligent player too. He isn't a head down speed merchant, he would be well able to rack up the assists too.
    Lyon don't want to sell but a bid of around £16m could force there hand apparently.
    Only 23, got a massive ceiling. Only for the French having some pretty good strikers he would have been in the World Cup squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

martyos121 wrote: »
    BREAKING: Liverpool have announced the signing of Southampton's tea lady for a fee believed to be in the region of £17 million pounds. This could rise to £20 million with add-ons.

BtlKip_IEAAOCmj.png
    No lean ffs. We overpaid again.

MD1990 wrote: »
    No lean ffs. We overpaid again.

Ironically, her name is Eileen...

Echos summary of the game last night
    Markovic already looks a diamond to be smoothed
    Olympiakos panicked every time Lazar Markovic got on the ball. That, it would appear, would be the worst thing to do.

The more space he is afforded, the more chance he has of producing something special. Even in this 45-minute debut, he did so a few times.

His long legs, flashing over the ball, confused defenders; in a style that has become commonplace in football, he cut on to his stronger foot, opened up his body and looked to beat players with skill, speed and deft movement.

Twice he went close, both times curling his effort over, the goalkeeper looking beaten. With just five goals for Benfica last season, it is a part of a game that will have to develop; so, too, the defensive aspect of his play.

But he is in the right environment to learn, and already glimpses of his ability were seen. So far – albeit not far at all – so good.

View gallery
    """"""""""
    Liverpool FC 1 Olympiakos 0 - International Champions Cup (pics: Jason Roberts)
    View gallery
    Depth is getting better
    Ignoring the wonderfully American stadium announcer - with his sponsorship plugs and pronunciation of 'Oh-limpy-ay-koz' – for just a moment, the substitutions told a story.

Granted, this is just pre-season and there are more changes here than there ever would be in a Premier League game.

But at half time, Philippe Coutinho was introduced into the game. Alongside him, Joe Allen and Jack Robinson.

One is set to become one of Brazil's best over the next few years; Allen is deeply entrusted by the manager; Robinson is a young full back who has caught the eye at the most crucial time in his Liverpool career.

The conveyor belt continued. Lucas Leiva and Sebastian Coates appeared, as did Martin Kelly. Then came Rickie Lambert and Jordon Ibe.

The squad already has a depth to it not seen at Anfield in years. When considering Adam Lallana, Daniel Agger, Fabio Borini and Jon Flanagan are absent – and with more signings imminent – the manager will have plenty at his disposal this season.

A pity he can't make eight changes every game.

Fitness is getting better too
    It was hot in Chicago, played in a stadium with offered little shade, the vast stands rising out into the city skyline.

But for a pre-season friendly, the Reds' tempo was surprisingly quick from the first whistle.

Memories of the goalless draw against Tottenham in Baltimore two years ago threatened to dampen any enthusiasm, with conditions similar – if not quite as hot as that lava-like afternoon in 2012.

But Liverpool were energetic from the start, with Sterling's goal just reward for the purpose in their play.

This was the club's fourth pre-season game. Throughout the tour of the US, Rodgers has been keen to highlight how every day is a progression towards the opening game against Southampton.

The result will have pleased the manager, but more so the glimmer of intensity that pervaded much of last season.

WATCH: Fan with giant Sturridge mask dances pre-game

New bodies in defence needed
    Rodgers was keen to offer praise to the defence after their first clean sheet of pre-season. Throughout most of the game, they were solid.

But there were times when Olympiakos – nowhere near full flight themselves in attack – stretched the Reds. Only good last-minute defending, usually from Martin Skrtel, stopped a free chance at goal.

So Liverpool did defend well. But they also, at times, defended dangerously.

Liverpool conceded 50 goals last season, but it could have been more. Excellent one-on-one defending masked the lack of shape, the exposure and poor positioning that became too frequent in certain games.

Those bad habits looked to be returning. If a ball had just been more accurate, or harder, or lofted, then the Greek champions would have been given one-on-one opportunities.

Agger aside, the starting back four on Sunday is not too far removed from what the Reds lined up with during the early stages of the season. Is it the system or individuals that have Liverpool living so perilously?

The arrival of Dejan Lovren, a £20m signing from Southampton, will go some way to answering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lovren should be a solid enough signing. If we went into the season with:

Sakho
    Lovren
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Others

then it would be okay. If you drop out Agger then I'd feel better with another experienced center back on board.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Sakho
    Lovren
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Others

then it would be okay. If you drop out Agger then I'd feel better with another experienced center back on board.

Not sure centre half was really a major problem for us last year though
    We had much much bigger problems with our full backs.
    Enrique returning is an upgrade although not a huge one.
    As for the headless chicken playing right back im not even going to start on him. We should cancel his contract and let him leave on a free given his wages and lack of contribution.

Not sure if this has already been posted here, but surely one of you made this page? It's utter genius

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolPlayersAwkwardlyLeaningOnStuff

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Sakho
    Lovren
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Others

I'd be content dropping Agger from that list when you consider we would still have Toure, Kelly, Wisdom, Coates and Ilori all on the books.

• Advertisement

Not sure centre half was really a major problem for us last year though
    We had much much bigger problems with our full backs.
    Enrique returning is an upgrade although not a huge one.
    As for the headless chicken playing right back im not even going to start on him. We should cancel his contract and let him leave on a free given his wages and lack of contribution.

Looking likely with the Lovren signing that maybe it'll be 3 CB's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Carra is a special guest on TAW today :)

Gerrard after Saviola's pathetic dive

https://vine.co/v/M0PdKwmb3hq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Loic Remy will dominate todays news, Sky Sports reckon Liverpool canceled the deal because of Borini wanting to stay.

The Rodriguez rumours are from Talksport IIRC. They smack of incredibly lazy journalism. Team A buy a few players from Team B. Team A now need a striker. Conclusion: Team A will go in for Team B's striker. It was inevitable some low-rent outlet would go with it.

Before the week is out we'll be linked with Solomon Kalou (his agent links him with a big PL move every summer), Lukaku (despite it being incredibly unlikely, but Drogba has come back, so...) and any manner of striker reportedly looking for a move. Hernandez, Cavani, Huntelaar etc. - in spite of the obvious reasons we won't be in for them, we'll be linked by some clown-shoes outfit looking for click-bait.

mikeym wrote: »
    Loic Remy will dominate todays news, Sky Sports reckon Liverpool canceled the deal because of Borini wanting to stay.

No way id believe that
    He was a steal at 8.5m, cant see how we wouldnt have bought him no matter what our squad was if he was physically up to it.
    Borini will be sold or at least loaned out again, not good enough to play up front by himself

• Advertisement

I like Borini, but I really hope that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I heard them say that that is what Remy's agents are saying so I'd say its all bluster.

They don't want Remy to appear unsuitable to sign for a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Not sure if this has already been posted here, but surely one of you made this page? It's utter genius

1379553_462718433826965_1751277151_n.jpg
    Our page is now getting a little bit X-rated with naughty "Francois" Toure role-playing a hot and heavy post-coital satisfaction pillow talk lean. Not what Giaccherini had in mind when his Italian mates told him "the Premier League is really fast and physical", but from their faces we know our Kolo is definitely getting a second date, and more leaning privileges if he plays his cards right.

Ha!

From that link.
    The Uruguayan Jelavic wows photographers here with this deliciously bewildered straddling one-arm 'metal thing in the shape of a person' lean. He hasn't seen anything so static since the Arsenal back four.

1781901_519523158146492_869081991_n.jpg

Source

Loic Remy's transfer from Liverpool to QPR could be resurrected, despite the west London side's fury over claims from Anfield that the £10.5million switch has collapsed.

Rangers still consider the deal is on and are also annoyed that the news leaked out from Merseyside yesterday afternoon, according to the Daily Mirror.

The move is understood to have hit the rocks over Remy’s failure to pass a stringent medical, but further tests are planned on the France international today.

The 27-year-old striker – desperate to move to ­Liverpool to play Champions League football – was due to sign a four-year contract following a week of ­negotiations.

But the Reds pulled the plug yesterday and then declined to give a specific reason when they arrived in Chicago for last night’s game against Olympiakos.

Remy was on loan at Newcastle last season and missed almost a month at the back end of the campaign with a calf problem. But the issue is seen at Anfield as far more serious than that relatively minor injury.

He had flown to Boston for his medical and to discuss terms on an £80,000-a-week contract. But as the Liverpool squad moved on to Chicago as part of their pre-season tour, he returned home.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rogers said: “It's very simple. We made a decision as a club not to go ahead with the deal,” said Rodgers. “It's unfortunate for the player that it's happened before and it's happening on this occasion.

“We're obviously disappointed for the player but there's nothing more to be said, we have to move on and look at other targets.”

Remy now faces the prospect of missing out on his European dream and rejoining QPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is this a podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Not even Carra could make it bearable.

GBX wrote: »
    Is this a podcast?

Yeah

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/podcast/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be content dropping Agger from that list when you consider we would still have Toure, Kelly, Wisdom, Coates and Ilori all on the books.

Wisdom is playing for WBA and Ilori is almost certainly going on loan as well. Toure is off to Super Lig by the looks of it.

Surely nothing concrete was disclosed because it's a medical issue. You can hardly expect Rodgers to go into detail about the lad's heart condition/knee ligaments or whatever it was. Yesterday I thought that depending on the severity of the issue a fee could be renegotiated but Rodgers has now come out and said the deal is off publicly. The club has moved on it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

So Simon Clancy just re tweeted this....Works for the BBC btw.

Retweeted by Simon Clancy
    Callum Wright @_CallumMWright · 12m
    NEWS: #LFC considering paying Monaco's asking price of £9.5m for a season long loan of Radamel Falcao with a view to a permanent deal.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 26 times26 FavoriteFavorited 10 times10
    More

Yes. Yes please.

Just remembered though hes coming back from a cruciate injury. Big gamble at 9.5 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What's Heskey doing these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

joe123 wrote: »

NEWS: #LFC considering paying Monaco's asking price of £9.5m for a season long loan of Radamel Falcao with a view to a permanent deal.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 26 times26 FavoriteFavorited 10 times10
    More

Yes. Yes please.

Just remembered though hes coming back from a cruciate injury. Big gamble at 9.5 million.
    For a loan it's a big outlay....not sure the owners would sanction it but if there's a deal in place for a permanent transfer at the end of it then you never know. The guy's a phenomenal finisher

More

Yes. Yes please.

We are considering paying almost 10m for a season long loan?

Are we fcuk!

More

Yes. Yes please.

Just because he retweeted it doesn't mean he's endorsing it. It's laughable TBH. @_CallumMWright recently tweeted this:
    Join my Fantasy League for your chance to win shout-out’s:

... and only yesterday said both Origi and Lovren would be announced together at 11am today. He's a chancer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement