Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

El Inho wrote: »
    Wonder if like last year it's to force through a deal.

Go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Your forgetting that Ayre has barely signed any top class players. Its very unlikely we will get Sanchez tbh by just looking at Ayre's track record.

Of course all those deals fell through because of Ayre's poor skills.

Nothing at all today to with excessive demands by the sellers and protecting the clubs interests?

Transfers are often more complicated than people think and involve many parties and conditions.

Also,he did seal Sturridge, Sakho and Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

djPSB wrote: »
    He seemed pretty well behaved when playing for Liverpool since the Ivanovic incident. Probably because of the presence of Steve Peters.

Agreed, if he didn't crack in that title run in when things were beginning to slip it can only come down to the people around him while on international duty. While Rodgers emphasizes the team and along with Peters repeatedly hammers home that he must channel his aggression constructively through his feet not his teeth, Uruguay coaches and fans pin the hopes of a nation on him, and on the biggest stage of all, he cracked under the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Agreed, if he didn't crack in that title run in when things were beginning to slip it can only come down to the people around him while on international duty. While Rodgers emphasizes the team and along with Peters repeatedly hammers home that he must channel his aggression constructively through his feet not his teeth, Uruguay coaches and fans pin the hopes of a nation on him, and on the biggest stage of all, he cracked under the pressure.

Uncalled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5live wrote: »
    As Fescue said, what happens when he comes back and is targeted by defenders, and he will be, looking for the 'fame' of taking Suarez out?

I don't think anger is ever the cause though, I think it's all frustration. The best thing an opposition player could do to provoke this reaction, is to simply have a really good game in a really important setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He hasn't had the best of times lately really! Liverpool failed to win the league, Ronnie lost the World Final and England get knocked out after two games in the World Cup.

Liverpool had no right to be even involved in the PL title.

Ronnie credits him with transforming his career at a time when he was debating quitting the game.

England were managed by Roy Hodgson. They hadn't a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think anger is ever the cause though, I think it's all frustration. The best thing an opposition player could do to provoke this reaction, is to simply have a really good game in a really important setting.

My thoughts exactly. As in the case with Ivanovic, he was having a tough time one on one with Chiellini. This massive will to win brings out a kind of primal burst of frustration he can't control.

On a seperate note, is Sakho really going to escape without even a word over his blatant elbow to the face in his last game?

I'm just baffled that Suarez gets such incredible abuse, but other players, doing much more dangerous stuff, get completely ignored. I mean, I don't want Sakho to be missing any liverpool games or anything, but that was a definite straight red offense, and I def expected retroactive punishment. Same for Costa one also to an extent, and others too.

On a seperate note, is Sakho really going to escape without even a word over his blatant elbow to the face in his last game?

I'm just baffled that Suarez gets such incredible abuse, but other players, doing much more dangerous stuff, get completely ignored. I mean, I don't want Sakho to be missing any liverpool games or anything, but that was a definite straight red offense, and I def expected retroactive punishment. Same for Costa one also to an extent, and others too.

A defender can argue that it was an accident, didn't see attacker etc.

You general don't bite someone by accident.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. As in the case with Ivanovic, he was having a tough time one on one with Chiellini. This massive will to win brings out a kind of primal burst of frustration he can't control.

Yup. It's also interesting how it's never getting mentioned that Rooney is exactly the same way. In moments of frustration when games aren't going his way, he lashes out - he kicks people though, so it's only "normal" violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Careful now, you might be accused of whataboutery.

murpho999 wrote: »

Thats fine, but they're not even being accused. It's just being ignored. Also, Costa's was very obviously not an accident, and Sakho's was very obviously not an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'd imagine Suarez would have regular meetings with Peters to ensure that his 'Chimp' is controlled.

Obviously this wouldn't have happened during the World Cup as Peters was with England.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Origi on for 10 man Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Lots of psychologists on the thread today debating it all. The man is a nutter.

I think the owners will be getting close to a risk assessment on the worth of keeping Suarez. An undoubtedly quality player who will have the ability to score up to 20 goals even after his suspension. Its fair to argue however that him missing will cost Liverpool points between August and November.

What happens next time Suarez flips even if its not a bite next time. If he kicks someone he'll be dealt with harsher than a player without Suarez's history.
    Another bite and its probably a 9-12 month suspension. Then his value really goes to pot.

For me if a good offer comes in the club should seriously consider it. Whilst the ban will naturally deplete the asking price somewhat they might squeeze a bit more from Barca with potential transfer ban in the future.

A figure of £56m and Sanchez was mentioned a few days ago. If that could be kept north of £45m with Sanchez going to Anfield it would be a tempting offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Whataboutery- uggh! what a cringey word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Origi on for 10 man Belgium.

What's the fee banded about Ade?

An accident was more or less the ingenious Uruguayan FA defence

Wasn't somewhere in the region of £6m bandied about yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The media scrum have resulted in this avalanche of hyperbole. Make no mistake Suarez is an absolute idiot of the highest order. A fool with zero self control it seems whe it comes to the crunch.

But the offence is pretty minuscule, it's actually more of an embarrassment then dangerous. If football wants to get on it's high horse then we should see harsher treatment for far worse behaviour off the field, like players playing week in week out after multiple speeding or drink driving bans. If you want to be on your moral high horse and all that.

He should be banned but it should be decided on the seriousness of the offence and damage caused as opposed to the media scrum it has caused and which the verdict seemed to want to appease.

Calling for him to be sold at a knock down price is laughable aswell. I'd only have ever sold him for top dollar but I'd be loathe to lose him on the cheap, makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Alonso77 wrote: »

I thought it was just me.

Fu*king hell.

€10M, though I read from a couple of French journos, Lille are holding out for around 12M. Other than that and a medical, all the finer details between Origi and his contract structure for the move to Liverpool are sorted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bits and bobs usually get knocked off these FIFA punishments at the appeal.
    So would be cautiously hopeful that the end result won't be quite as bad as todays initial sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

United fan but think the pool have been hard done by here. Should really only be an international ban. I overheard something on radio earlier about Suarez head butting a referee in his youth but it was swept under the carpet because of his talent? Never heard this before anyone know anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a contact sport but not a biting one.

Lovely turn from Origi who then strikes it from outside of the box and forces an impressive save from Korean keeper, but Vertonghen follows up the rebound.

Just won a useful free kick - looks like a more talented Danny Welbeck! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Bag of tricks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Lovely turn from Origi who then strikes it from outside of the box and forces an impressive save from Korean keeper, but Vertonghen follows up the rebound.

You're not doing it right.

A majestic turn straight from the prodigious Genk academy, mes que un club, leaving the Koreans dumbfounded by his grace, genius and style, as Origi then comes close with a stunning intuitive effort.

The Belgium wheel is turning.

United fan but think the pool have been hard done by here. Should really only be an international ban. I overheard something on radio earlier about Suarez head butting a referee in his youth but it was swept under the carpet because of his talent? Never heard this before anyone know anything about it?

You might enjoy this

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10984370/portrait-serial-winner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

• Advertisement

I posted that article last night it contains a prediction that Suarez would do it again during the World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

mike65 wrote: »
    I posted that article last night it contains a prediction that Suarez would do it again during the World Cup!

Yeah read it a few weeks ago. Decent article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I never heard about that but did hear that he has claws as big as cups and
    he has four ears, two for listening and two "are sort of back-up ears." He has a retractable leg so he can leap up at you better.
    He has magnets on his tail, so "if you're made out of metal, he can attach himself to you."
    He lights up at night and has a tremendous fear of stamps.
    His yawn sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel.
    He only has eyebrows on Saturdays and lives "on the place where there should be moors."
    He makes a "terrible howling noise" and has got big white teeth, as sharp as knives(that's a given)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mike65 wrote: »

It also mentioned him punching a child.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It also mentioned him punching a child.

There's time yet.

The media scrum have resulted in this avalanche of hyperbole. Make no mistake Suarez is an absolute idiot of the highest order. A fool with zero self control it seems whe it comes to the crunch.

But the offence is pretty minuscule, it's actually more of an embarrassment then dangerous. If football wants to get on it's high horse then we should see harsher treatment for far worse behaviour off the field, like players playing week in week out after multiple speeding or drink driving bans. If you want to be on your moral high horse and all that.

He should be banned but it should be decided on the seriousness of the offence and damage caused as opposed to the media scrum it has caused and which the verdict seemed to want to appease.

Calling for him to be sold at a knock down price is laughable aswell. I'd only have ever sold him for top dollar but I'd be loathe to lose him on the cheap, makes no sense whatsoever.

Part of the reason some want him sold I think of the potential for yet another bite. Then he's suspended for maybe a yr
    Is that worth the risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The look on Alonso
    Waxing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Alonso77 wrote: »

Absofrigginlutely, I'd say it could be traced to some clown on boards who started that shyte.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, that's twice now he's done that to Alonso. Still no reaction.

He's some man.

Knex. wrote: »
    You're not doing it right.

A majestic turn straight from the prodigious Genk academy, mes que un club, leaving the Koreans dumbfounded by his grace, genius and style, as Origi then comes close with a stunning intuitive effort.

The Belgium wheel is turning.

Pfft, I would have had I not been sweating on a four figure bet!

Was hoping earlier in the day he was going to start, but at least he got on, and in his third straight cameo he was very impressive and now has contributed twice to winning goals. His football IQ for someone in his position s combined with his physical traits and skill all at the age of 19, well it's hard not be excited about the prospect of signing him.

Oh, that was the first I saw of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Uruguay threatening to boycott/strike according to the lads on RTE, ridiculous story imo. It was reported by some Colombian news reporter on twitter so it must be false.

BMJD wrote: »
    Uruguay threatening to boycott/strike according to the lads on RTE, ridiculous story imo. It was reported by some Colombian news reporter on twitter so it must be false.

RTE believing Twittter rubbish, should not be reported or discussed.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Oh, that was the first I saw of it.

Was only posted once. Well worth a repost man, I was just being my usual idiotic self :p

I'm too easily amused :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RTE believing Twittter rubbish, should not be reported or discussed.

sorry :o

Knex. wrote: »
    Was only posted once. Well worth a repost man, I was just being my usual idiotic self :p

I'm too easily amused :o

Sure you're an awful messer.

RTE aren't following the right people;)

4eae2e116b26cab61ba40c8f1188bfa6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

As you said a few posts ago, frustration seems to be a huge part of his make up and its how he responds to that frustration in the future will determine his own future.

Once I can understand.

Twice I can possibly accept.

Three and there is a definite pattern emerging. The time scale between it happening is also reducing and the risk of massive hits to results and finances is increasing.

I like and expect that the club should assist a player regardless of whether he is an iconic player or not but I am swinging more towards selling asap right now.

The risks of his being banned are beginning to outweigh the benefits of keeping him, imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement