Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Never got the fuss about Falcao to be honest - he's 28! Didn't think he was that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Falcao is unbelievable but I can't see the club paying that money for a year of his services, especially coming back from a curciate injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Never got the fuss about Falcao to be honest - he's 28! Didn't think he was that old.

Didn't something come out last year stating that's he's actually a couple of years older, as well. Much to Monaco's fury, at the time.

Also, I don't think 10m for a season loan for Falcao, is that ridiculous.

Now, I don't think it'll happen, but if it did and he got us into the Top 4 again, and beyond the group stages of the CL this year, then he has more than justified that fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'd take him if it's £9.5m for this year with an option of a permanent move for ~£20m at the end of it, otherwise it doesn't stack up in our favour. I don't see why we should pay top money to babysit his knee for Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

€12m for a 10 month loan that's €1.2m a month before his wages which are around €250/300k tax free in Monaco if not more.

So we could be looking at paying close to €20m total for a 10 month loan.

Can anyone really see FSG agreeing to that?

€12m for a 10 month loan that's €1.2m a month before his wages which are around €250/300k tax free in Monaco if not more.

Nah, but I wouldn't be against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Not that I believe it for a second, but just to entertain the idea, £9.5m for a 28yo (thought that's debatable as Knex. suggested) works out at £38m on a 4-year deal. That's arguably less than his market value but with no sell-on fee, it might be about right. Does he still have that crazy 3rd-party ownership thing going on though?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Extended highlights of the Olympakios game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Augmerson wrote: »
    What's Heskey doing these days?

Heard he's big down under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Knex. wrote: »
    Didn't something come out last year stating that's he's actually a couple of years older, as well. Much to Monaco's fury, at the time.

Tsk. These Africans eh?

No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

don't give the Falcao rumours any credence, please.

it's complete bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SlickRic wrote: »
    don't give the Falcao rumours any credence, please.

Too late Slick, Falcao's in the bag bhiys!! Yeeeeowwwwwww!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Right lads realistic targets for a striker cause the closer to the start of the PL the more concerning our current situation gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

D'Agger wrote: »
    Too late Slick, Falcao's in the bag bhiys!! Yeeeeowwwwwww!

Falcao and Reus lads...our year..our year...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Right lads realistic targets for a striker cause the closer to the start of the PL the more concerning our current situation gets.

We have Sturridge, Borini, Lambert and a host of supporting attacking players. This isn't deadline day 2010/2011/2012. Things aren't that bad.

We have Sturridge, Borini, Lambert and a host of supporting attacking players. This isn't deadline day 2010/2011/2012. Things aren't that bad.

If we want a title challenge - and we should - that won't be anywhere near enough firepower. There is a reason - clearly recognised by the club - that we tried to sign Remy and have been willing to sell Borini. We need more goals and Borini is not the answer.

Borini wont be at liverpool in 4 weeks time.
    We will need another striker and preferably one with pace
    I would have been happy had Origi been that third option but thats a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I see Barcelona are rumoured to be interested in Agger! They really have no ambition do they.....buying players from a team that haven't been in the Champions League in years!

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »

Jackson Martinez. Haven't seen him too much so I'll defer to others' better judgements. He's top notch but he's in his prime and might not fit the brief for cheaper, younger players who are going to improve.

Interesting read on Lambert

http://www.sheptonmalletjournal.co.uk/Liverpool-s-signing-Ricki-Lambert-shrewed/story-21948072-detail/story.html?
    Rickie Lambert has somewhat become a folklore hero for football fans in the South West. Transcending from his days in League Two with Bristol Rovers, to the dizzying heights of Premier League football with Southampton and national duty with England, Lambert has epitomised the boy hood dream. What is not to admire?

Liverpool have undertaken a purge of Southampton, which says something about how well the latter did last season. He is now been joined by the likes of Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and rumour has it Jay Rodgriguez following the collapse of the Loic Remy deal.

Football fans and pundits alike are a fickle bunch. Many fans will question why Brendan Rodgers has brought in Lambert who isn't the youngest and doesn't fit the Liverpool transfer ethos of buying young talent. There are many misconceptions all over the place with this one, so we'll try and debunk most of them and examine what Lambert actually offers Liverpool. For those doubters out there, hear me out on this.

Lambert should not be patronised or degraded in the assumption that he's just a squad player that will fill in here and there when Rodgers sees fit. Yes, there will be some squad rotation this season (more competitions), which is why Rodgers has emphasised the importance of assembling a squad and buying players that fit the philosophy. Fans that are prone to the reputation of players by name, may want to look at Germany again for an example of what a squad can do.

Lambert is also a player who is fundamentally misunderstood in a footballing context. Many align with the notion that he'll play in a similar manner to Andy Carroll being the target man, and subsequently failing to adapt to the high tempo possession game that is now associated with Liverpool. The Time football editor Tony Evans remarked:

"Anyone like to explain to me how Lambert fits into Liverpool's philosophy?"

This is misguided. Lambert is a superb off the ball player while possessing an excellent first touch and reading of the game. In contrast with his large frame, he is in essence a completely different player than one might at first assume. Fomer Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino had a tremendous influence on Lambert's footballing education prompting the Anfield man to reflect by stating:

"I never really got taught to be a striker in the first place and then I never got taught how to be a lone striker. He taught me how to be the lone stiker and the thing I was doing wrong the most was the fact I thought I had to show for everyone on the pitch.

"Whoever had the ball, I felt I had to run over and show for the ball, get on the ball. He was saying 'take your time' and 'wait until the right people have got on the ball' like Adam Lallana and others further up the pitch. After that, I had an understanding of how to play the position much better.

The only downside so far I can think of is the fact he has no re-sale value, but even then it doesn't mean much. At 32-years of age and at a cost of £4m, Lambert has been bought on the cheap at the peak of his powers. From a business standpoint, as well as football, the risk in all facets is minimal. In addition, if you then factor in Liverpool have already brought in three Southampton players, with a fourth in the pipeline, and possession based, then the potential significantly outweighs any risk.

Lambert is a player that possesses the dual ability to score and create. Last season, he was only one of four players to reach double figures in goals and assists. Bear in mind, two others out of the four were Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez so go figure.....

His build and height ensures that he'll be a threat in all areas of the forward play. In the box he is powerful in the air and good with his feet. The players that will be interchanging around him like Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana will enjoy playing off of him and looking for the quick passes. His off the ball movement will also be invaluable in synergising with Gerrard's range of passing and vision.

Liverpool are also in a lot of games this year with the added competitions such as the Champions League. No player, nevermind Lambert, will be short of game time.

This is a good move for Liverpool and one I expect to pay off. He has an excellent range of abilities and will involved in so many aspects of the play. His merely transferring to another side who play quick possession based football and will have the added compliment of having his former Southampton team mates around him. Liverpool fans should back Rodgers with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

amber69 wrote: »
    Heard he's big down under.

No no that's Dion Dublin.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I see Barcelona are rumoured to be interested in Agger! They really have no ambition do they.....buying players from a team that haven't been in the Champions League in years!

Can't wait for Barcapool vs Liverhampton in the CL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Suarez money spent with more to come, happy so far? Guessing one more striker and will be done.

I would say definitely stronger than last season

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

RasTa wrote: »
    Suarez money spent with more to come, happy so far? Guessing one more striker and will be done.

not without another out-and-out striker imo

RasTa wrote: »

I would have said that we spent what we were going to, and now have the Suarez money in reserve, but I suppose that's just a matter of perspective.

I am relatively happy with how our squad is, but I would have been happier if we signed a fit Remy.

A full back is likely to be needed, also.

I would have been happy with Moreno and Remy along with what we have already signed
    Can reinforce again in January if we are weak in certain areas.

I would have been happy with Moreno and Remy along with what we have already signed
    Can reinforce again in January if we are weak in certain areas.

Why would we wait until January when we know that we need another striker now?

mosstin wrote: »
    Why would we wait until January when we know that we need another striker now?

Sturridge, Lambert, Remy, Lallanna, Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Ibe

For me that is enough attacking options but now Remy is out of contention we need to replace him.
    I dont think we need 4 strikers at all to be honest as Lallanna, Sterling and Markovic call all play as a second striker so 3 out and out strikers is enough

• Advertisement

For me that is enough attacking options but now Remy is out of contention we need to replace him.
    I dont think we need 4 strikers at all to be honest as Lallanna, Sterling and Markovic call all play as a second striker so 3 out and out strikers is enough

Well technically speaking we still have Borini too. Given Sturridge's injury issues and the fact that he's our number one striker, we need a quality back up, preferably with pace and a decent finisher. Midfielders and wingers will chip in with goals but there's Suarez sized hole in the squad that must be filled, even to 50% of what he contributed. We need another striker before the season begins.

Well technically speaking we still have Borini too. Given Sturridge's injury issues and the fact that he's our number one striker, we need a quality back up, preferably with pace and a decent finisher. Midfielders and wingers will chip in with goals but there's Suarez sized hole in the squad that must be filled, even to 50% of what he contributed. We need another striker before the season begins.

Agreed 100%, I dont want borini at the club. Nothing personal against him but he is not prolific enough

This makes me happy
    Rodgers knows what he wants from the remaining weeks of the transfer window. Another forward and two fullbacks. #LFC (Tony Barrett)

Agreed 100%, I dont want borini at the club. Nothing personal against him but he is not prolific enough

This makes me happy

I can see us upping our bid for Moreno. We've played footsie - allegedly - all summer, so we'll probably bring him in.

Harry not happy with the Remy situation
    Redknapp on Remy: "I don't know how he failed a medical. He passed one here, had one at NUFC... I don't see there can be issue with fitness"
    Redknapp: "Loic Remy will return to #QPR. He's a fantastic striker."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Really, when it comes down to it, I'm feeling optimistic not just because of who we've brought in, but because of Rodgers. I just trust him to do a good job, he'll know what the team needs, and he'll get the players he wants. If we have a glaring need (RB for instance) but he can't find anyone suitable, then he'll make the best of it until someone suitable comes along.

To put it another way, even with Suarez gone and Lemy not coming, we've got Rodgers so I'm not panicking. Just imagine how we'd be feeling if it was still Hodgson...

J.

He had a medical, but he didn't have a top, top medical. He has now.

He had a medical, but he didn't have a top, top medical. He has now.

West Ham must have the worst medical staff in global sports
    Newcastle are not far behind

Andy Carroll and Sylvian Marveaux spring to mind.

Re; Remy

The club hasn't made any statement at all about Remy.

It all seems to be coming from the same journo's who said he passed the medical the before.

Who knows what the real story is maybe he would take a wage cut, Maybe he wanted to guarantee in his contract that he would be a first team starter.

Who knows.

Maybe he will do another medical in Liverpool and pass that.

West Ham must have the worst medical staff in global sports
    Newcastle are not far behind

Andy Carroll and Sylvian Marveaux spring to mind.

We can't say anything about big Andy we bought him injured as well.

We also bought Aquilani while he was injured.

That doesn't say much about our then medical team.

Maybe we are learning.

• Advertisement

Perhaps his QPR medical was performed by Harry driving by and sticking his head out the window for a look at him, before saying "t'riffic" and driving off.

Re; Remy

The club hasn't made any statement at all about Remy.

It all seems to be coming from the same journo's who said he passed the medical the before.

Who knows what the real story is maybe he would take a wage cut, Maybe he wanted to guarantee in his contract that he would be a first team starter.

Who knows.

Maybe he will do another medical in Liverpool and pass that.

Rodgers said last night that the deal is off and that they are looking for alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Lying in bed last night in the middle of The Fear, as ya do, and I got this random thought. Remember about 4 or 5 years ago, we were playing Sunderland, Masch played RB. Why was it? Was it due to injuries in that position or was it just to get him playing more games?

I don't think Harry understands quite how time works.

"But he was fine last year, and the year before".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think Coutinho and Lallana are more effective as midfield options than they are across the front three. I haven't watched enough of Lallana but I got the impression he played primarily as a midfielder for Soton rather than a wide man or forward. Certainly Coutinho is more effective as a midfielder, whenever he plays wide he becomes less effective, I'd be far more in favour of seeing him used deeper and centrally this season, its where hes produced his best form for us.

I'd view our front three options right now as Sturridge, Sterling, Markovic, Lambert, Borini, Ibe and maybe Lallana. Its not quite enough and at least one more attacking option is needed. Remy would have been perfect as he can play up front on his own or in either wide position. Perhaps now that the deal is off we can find someone a little bit better (not that I don't rate Remy) but It'll be hard to find someone who covers all three attacking options like Remy.

Once we add at least one more option to the front three, preferrably one whos ready to start games straight away, I think we'll only need a full back or two and we can consider it a good transfer window and we'll have a good squad for the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

FitzShane wrote: »
    Lying in bed last night in the middle of The Fear, as ya do, and I got this random thought. Remember about 4 or 5 years ago, we were playing Sunderland, Masch played RB. Why was it? Was it due to injuries in that position or was it just to get him playing more games?

I vaguely remember this. Think it was down to injuries, was around the time of a bad few results in the league. Might have been around the start of the 10 wins from 11 run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barrett says Rodgers wants a striker and two full backs still, if we got that we would have a very good squad. Generally fairly young but with a bit of experience.
    If we can retain top 4 then next year that's when we can start spending £30/£40m on one position and build a much higher quality squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nearly at 10k, will start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement