Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Liverpool should pay FIFA off and take it from Suarez's wages.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Knex. wrote: »
    Do Uruguayans believe that Suarez is somehow innocent in all of this? Because whatever about the ban being harsh, innocent he most certainly is not.

'Luis we are with you', seems a little much for a someone who lost his temper and flipped out in the more bizarre manner yet again.

They seem to believe that he's been stitched up which is the last thing we need. As Sadlier alluded to last night, the last thing we need is him coming back with a persecution complex. He did wrong and if he's staying he needs to take the steps necessary, which revolve around him accepting he has a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I genuinely feel like there is a lot of good work on his brain being undone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Grayditch wrote: »
    Liverpool should pay FIFA off and take it from Suarez's wages.

Simples.

That might actually work. Funny how they react so quickly to public concern over a bite at the World Cup, but only respond to allegations of corruption in the hosting of a World Cup with 'ah you're just being racist now'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They seem to believe that he's been stitched up which is the last thing we need. As Sadlier alluded to last night, the last thing we need is him coming back with a persecution complex. He did wrong and if he's staying he needs to take the steps necessary, which revolve around him accepting he has a problem.

Yep, its a big contrast from the way Lfc handled it. He is getting poorly advised out there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Personal sponsor deals and club ones are not really comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In other news, I'm reading everywhere that a deal for Shaqiri is close.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

murpho999 wrote: »
    The origi deal is supposed to be close for around 10 mil too(L'Equipe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I read his agent is in england discussing personal terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

888Poker with the moral high ground..........Shane Warne lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I see Toby Alderweireld being linked this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Wtf dude, you've been bashing me a lot lately.

+1

Knex is a snitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

Knex is a snitch.

Last night you claimed I had "burnt my one brain cell", and today I'm a snitch. You must really think I epitomize all Liverpool and Uruguay fans.

I'm the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Hey leave Warney alone! Although it is funny that a website that thrives off degenerative gamblers has somehow took the moral high ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It's not moral high ground it's taking advantage of a story to get publicity. They announce they are canceling the deal and loads of people talk about including the media. Their name gets mentioned more than when they signed him up.

This is nothing to do with moral high ground, just publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

abeautifulmind002.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    Last night you claimed I had "burnt my one brain cell", and today I'm a snitch. You must really think I epitomize all Liverpool and Uruguay fans.

I'm the worst.

I'd say it's a case of mistaken identity, the poster must be thinkmg of another worst Liverpool fan.

It's not moral high ground it's taking advantage of a story to get publicity. They announce they are canceling the deal and loads of people talk about including the media. Their name gets mentioned more than when they signed him up.

This is nothing to do with moral high ground, just publicity.

Which was the general consensus during the Anelka thing a few months back (does everyone else still wake up at night replaying the details of that over and over again? It's impossible to move on from these things). But that doesn't fit the story this time.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Which was the general consensus during the Anelka thing a few months back (does everyone else still wake up at night replaying the details of that over and over again? It's impossible to move on from these things). But that doesn't fit the story this time.

why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RainMaker wrote: »
    I see Toby Alderweireld being linked this morning

That's clearly not right - he wasn't even playing last night, never mind scoring a goal.

Oh and whathisface at the Echo says Moreno deal is NOT dead, its just gone for a lie down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

2hzh0ec.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fizman wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already (can't see anything else other than LS talk) but I see that Luis Alberto gone on loan to Malaga for the season.
    This seems to have got lost in all the Suarez hub-bub.

Good move for him I think, if he's good enough, he will get games and may yet come back to us a proper player.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/27/luis-suarez-ban-liverpool-legal-advice
    The player’s lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, said that he will meet with legal representatives from the Merseyside club on Friday. “Tomorrow we will meet in Barcelona with Liverpool’s lawyers,” he told Cadena Cope. Interestingly, Balbi also claimed Pere Guardiola, the agent brother of former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola, will also be present at the meeting – something which will fuel claims that Suárez could be set to move to the Nou Camp this summer.

“Tomorrow we will talk with Pere Guardiola,” Balbi added when asked about a potential move for Suárez from Liverpool to Barcelona.

Could be nothing, just tease talk...

why not?

Because people who really haven't got a clue what kind of effect it will have want to portray it as being extremely detrimental to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

mike65 wrote: »

Barca could still want him and make the deal...

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Because people who really haven't got a clue what kind of effect it will have want to portray it as being extremely detrimental to the club.

OK sorry i thought you were disagreeing what i was aying, I didn't quite understand your point it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Vicxas wrote: »
    Barca could still want him and make the deal...

they could be highly unlikely IMO.

Liverpool dont have to sell him without getting the correct fee. Barca may not wish to cough up that fee given his unavailabilty until November.

That said, I reckon the appeal will reduce his total ban given its club impact and the possibilty of clubs not wishing to release players for international duty for fear of suspensions carrying over to club level

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well its a bit odd that they are meeting reps of LFC in Spain, Sanchez deal to be wrapped up over the weekend or something like that I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

888 Poker have terminated all connections with Luis Suarez with immediate effect.

The fallout from ban has begun.

I thought companies didn't care about these sort of things?

Link

Just cheap publicity for them imo. I mean 2 bites and racist abuse was fine but a 3rd bite no way.

• Advertisement

The S*n sez Barca want 20 million off the release fee while the Mirror go with similar
    Barca were plotting an £80million player-plus-cash bid for the 27-year-old, with Alexis Sanchez and Pedro both touted with moves to Anfield.

However, the Spanish giants now believe they could get him for £50million as he is "damaged goods" although Liverpool are determined to hold out for at least £70million.

Barcelona chiefs are due to meet on Friday to discuss the Suarez situation further and believe they can get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

slingerz wrote: »
    they could be highly unlikely IMO.

Liverpool dont have to sell him without getting the correct fee. Barca may not wish to cough up that fee given his unavailabilty until November.

That said, I reckon the appeal will reduce his total ban given its club impact and the possibilty of clubs not wishing to release players for international duty for fear of suspensions carrying over to club level

The thing about la liga is they could comfortably beat all but two teams without him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

naughtb4 wrote: »
    The thing about la liga is they could comfortably beat all but two teams without him anyway

Yep although one of those teams will be weaker than last season i would imagine.

That still doesnt affect Liverpool's approach to his transfer though.

naughtb4 wrote: »

Its not about the other 18 teams - its about the 19th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£70million and Sanchez I would take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It's £70 million including Sanchez, I believe they mean.

Sanchez would presumably be valued somewhere around £25 million, making it £45 million plus Sanchez.

If you could get that from them you should bite their arm off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barcelona would be stupid to offer that and we would be more stupid for not accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

rob316 wrote: »
    Barcelona would be stupid to offer that and we would be more stupid for not accepting it.

I agree, and if Guardiola is there, he is as good as gone imo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we lose Suarez then we can say goodbye to top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Somebody said it earlier, but if we're going to sell him, we need to play Madrid and Barca off each other. Barca would be rightfully terrified of competing against Ronaldo-Suarez-Bale, and Madrid likewise against Neymar-Messi-Suarez. Adding him to either team would really shift the power significantly in La Liga, and we need to use that to drive up the price.

£50 million is ridiculous -- you'd be looking at £70m at an absolute minimum, and ideally negotiating for the likes of Sanchez/Pedro/Di Maria/Marcelo/Jese as part of it.

To be honest, I don't think John Henry will accept a discounted bid on account of the latest bite. He knows Suarez's value, and ultimately 2 months of the season isn't enough to wipe out 25% of a player's value. He showed last year he wouldn't be bent over a barrel, and if anything, he's in a stronger position this year, with Suarez having extended his contract, and the club back in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fieldog wrote: »
    I agree, and if Guardiola is there, he is as good as gone imo....

Guardiola can have all the talks he wants, only matters if WE are talking...

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

Sanchez, Sturridge, Sterling, Shaqiri (who I believe will be signed) would give every team in the Prem a hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I do not agree with this at all. We had a good start without last season.

Don't want to see him go but if he does the team will buy and move on.

Still a good squad there and it will be strengthened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nonsense.

Sanchez, Sturridge, Sterling, Shaqiri (who I believe will be signed) would give every team in the Prem a hard time.

And suarez...

That'd be mental seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DrumSteve wrote: »
    And suarez...

That'd be mental seeing that.

It would be jizztastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would take Sanchez and £50 million right now.

He is the best possible replacement we could get for Suarez and we would have the cash to seriously upgrade 1 or 2 other positions.

Despite being the best player I've ever seen play for the club, I think he will become too much of a risk. If he still has a market value of £70/£80 million (which is by no means certain) then that is too much money for the club to gamble with.

Another indiscretion from Suarez (there have been 4 in the past 4 years) and he will be looking at a serious ban, maybe season-long. The FA would relish dishing that out. I really thought he had put all of that behind him and that we were looking at a new Suarez. I was clearly wrong and I'm extremely disappointed that I am. Let's be honest, he is likely to do something like that again, that much we can now say with confidence.

Put it this way, if we could somehow see the future and we knew Suarez would bite someone again, say in 12 months time, would anyone want to still keep him? Knowing the magnitude of his likely ban?

We could be left with a player playing increasingly less and less of each season, depreciating in value, and all the while still pining for a move to Real or Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Entirely depends on what else we do. Shaqiri, Sanchez and a top class defender, and I don't see any reason we need to consider such a huge drop.

We still have Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Hendo, Stevie, Sakho and are adding players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Not necessarily, just because Spurs fluffed their lines with the Bale money doesn't mean we'll do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Nonsense.

yeah spurs thought the same thing last year. sure Paulinho, Soldado, Eriksen and Lamela will easily fill the void left by Bale :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah spurs thought the same thing last year. sure Paulinho, Soldado, Eriksen and Lamela will easily fill the void left by Bale :rolleyes:

Bale was pretty much the only functioning part of that Spurs team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Somebody said it earlier, but if we're going to sell him, we need to play Madrid and Barca off each other. Barca would be rightfully terrified of competing against Ronaldo-Suarez-Bale, and Madrid likewise against Neymar-Messi-Suarez. Adding him to either team would really shift the power significantly in La Liga, and we need to use that to drive up the price.

£50 million is ridiculous -- you'd be looking at £70m at an absolute minimum, and ideally negotiating for the likes of Sanchez/Pedro/Di Maria/Marcelo/Jese as part of it.

To be honest, I don't think John Henry will accept a discounted bid on account of the latest bite. He knows Suarez's value, and ultimately 2 months of the season isn't enough to wipe out 25% of a player's value. He showed last year he wouldn't be bent over a barrel, and if anything, he's in a stronger position this year, with Suarez having extended his contract, and the club back in the CL.

Madrid don't have any interest in him, Real have a very public way of conducting transfer business. I said it before if Suarez was a target for them they would have tapped him all season long. Zidane, Ancelotti and Perez would all said there piece about him.
    It's pure speculation about Madrid wanting him, Barcelona do have a strong reported interest though.

Liverpool either keep him or sell him to Barcelona at a reduced rate those are the options right now. If we could get anything north of £60/65m for him after this it would a good fee.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement