Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I would take Sanchez and £50 million right now.

He is the best possible replacement we could get for Suarez and we would have the cash to seriously upgrade 1 or 2 other positions.

Despite being the best player I've ever seen play for the club, I think he will become too much of a risk. If he still has a market value of £70/£80 million (which is by no means certain) then that is too much money for the club to gamble with.

Another indiscretion from Suarez (there have been 4 in the past 4 years) and he will be looking at a serious ban, maybe season-long. The FA would relish dishing that out. I really thought he had put all of that behind him and that we were looking at a new Suarez. I was clearly wrong and I'm extremely disappointed that I am. Let's be honest, he is likely to do something like that again, that much we can now say with confidence.

Put it this way, if we could somehow see the future and we knew Suarez would bite someone again, say in 12 months time, would anyone want to still keep him? Knowing the magnitude of his likely ban?

We could be left with a player playing increasingly less and less of each season, depreciating in value, and all the while still pining for a move to Real or Barcelona.

Regarding the risk of him re-offending, I think it's interesting that this happened while on International duty, in a World Cup eliminator, with Uruguay 10 minutes away from going home.

Looking at his behaviour at Liverpool last year, he was a model player. He cut out a lot of his play-acting, diving, moaning at refs, and generally just got up and got on with it.

Whether it's Rodgers, Peters, Gerrard or other factors, it's clear that the club have been helping him hugely to curb that side of the game. He is completely unpredictable, but I'd hope that he'd be less prone to this stuff during the season while at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah spurs thought the same thing last year. sure Paulinho, Soldado, Eriksen and Lamela will easily fill the void left by Bale :rolleyes:

We are far less reliant on Suarez than they were on Bale. We have Sturridge, which was also in the top scorers last season, and had us on top while Suarez was still out suspended. Spurs had Defoe, Dempsey and Adebayor, none of whom are within a country mile of Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Forget letting him go to Barca or Madrid!

I have a new idea a straight swap with Juventus for Pogba and Vidal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bale was pretty much the only functioning part of that Spurs team.

bale was the star player who made the team tick like suarez.

proof if you ever needed it was when suarez had a slight dip in form towards of the end of last season and not a single player on the liverpool team could step up.

lose suarez and you are left with a defense as leaky as an old bucket, a 34 year old gerrard, a 19 year old kid, an inconsistent 21 year old who can't shoot and people are pinning their hopes on two guys barcelona and bayern are trying desperately to get rid of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew I had rossie1977 on ignore for a reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

proof if you ever needed it was when suarez had a slight dip in form towards of the end of last season and not a single player on the liverpool team could step up.

lose suarez and you are left with a defense as leaky as an old bucket, a 34 year old gerrard, a 19 year old kid, an inconsistent 21 year old who can't shoot and people are pinning their hopes on two guys barcelona and bayern are trying desperately to get rid of

Are you kidding?

Sterling was our best player on our match-winning run. During that run was actually Suarez's leanest period of the season. Sterling and Coutinho stepped up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

50% f Liverpool's starting 11 players last years were people which other clubs didn't want and they did well enough. Sakho, Sturridge, Johnson, Coutinho and Toure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I prefer if he stays but like one poster said the fear is he does something again and incurs a massive ban.

I've never felt sorry for a professional footballer earning £200K pw but genuinely do have some sympathy for him (not sure I would if I supported someone else). Everything I read about him off the pitch he comes across as quite a nice, humble caring individual. There's something in his head though that's difficult to fix.

There's far worse assaults that occur in football on a regular basis but you can't just bite people or defend someone doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

NoelJ wrote: »
    50% f Liverpool's starting 11 players last years were people which other clubs didn't want and they did well enough. Sakho, Sturridge, Johnson, Coutinho and Toure.

mmmm, well enough, not too sure how your ratings are calculated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

yeah spurs thought the same thing last year. sure Paulinho, Soldado, Eriksen and Lamela will easily fill the void left by Bale :rolleyes:

The difference would be our attack is already settled. The players mentioned were all new to the league and the team

Can't compare the two IMO

Liverpool minus Suarez >>>>> Spurs minus Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

careca wrote: »
    mmmm, well enough, not too sure how your ratings are calculated
    Think back to the first few months with Toure when everyone was amazed by how well he was playing.
    He just dipped later in the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I would take Sanchez and £50 million right now.

He is the best possible replacement we could get for Suarez and we would have the cash to seriously upgrade 1 or 2 other positions.

Despite being the best player I've ever seen play for the club, I think he will become too much of a risk. If he still has a market value of £70/£80 million (which is by no means certain) then that is too much money for the club to gamble with.

Another indiscretion from Suarez (there have been 4 in the past 4 years) and he will be looking at a serious ban, maybe season-long. The FA would relish dishing that out. I really thought he had put all of that behind him and that we were looking at a new Suarez. I was clearly wrong and I'm extremely disappointed that I am. Let's be honest, he is likely to do something like that again, that much we can now say with confidence.

Put it this way, if we could somehow see the future and we knew Suarez would bite someone again, say in 12 months time, would anyone want to still keep him? Knowing the magnitude of his likely ban?

We could be left with a player playing increasingly less and less of each season, depreciating in value, and all the while still pining for a move to Real or Barcelona.
    Spot on, and as I said yesterday, this isn't about biting anymore. One more indiscretion that is viewed equally serious, and the FA will be jizzing in their pants in anticipation of throwing the book at him.

Specifically, if he does do something like an elbow or headbutt, it won't be treated in isolation. This is the problem we have now, he's being treated as a delinquent case across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Connavar wrote: »
    Think back to the first few months with Toure when everyone was amazed by how well he was playing.
    He just dipped later in the season

He did start well, not sure if it was months though rather than weeks, but he was **** from the West Brom (??) mistaken on. Looked frightened at times. I'd still throw him in for the odd game though, at least he tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Seems to be in relation to being banned from being around his team mates. The training and stadium ban I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

For me, the only way Suarez's price goes down, is if Liverpool actually want to sell him. Otherwise, the fact that Real and Barca still want him now, even in light of this bite incident, shows they're still pretty desperate to have him.

If Liverpool still really want to keep Suarez, then I don't see them making a cut deal and he'll be hear next season unless that release clause is met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

To me, there is absolutely no way we'll accept a cut price deal for Suarez. Really why should we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mike65 wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Sanchez, Sturridge, Sterling, Shaqiri (who I believe will be signed) would give every team in the Prem a hard time.
    No doubt, but will the new additions contest for the league and the CL? I am not convinced.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    To me, there is absolutely no way we'll accept a cut price deal for Suarez. Really why should we?

1. Because he's out for the first 2 months.
    2. Because we're running the gauntlet of him doing it again or something similarly nuts.
    3. And if it does happen again, the bans will get bigger.
    4. So the price keeps going down for a player we can't even use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

DrumSteve wrote: »

Seriously what happens the next time what will the ban be then wgat will he be worth then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For me, what is so attractive about potentially selling to Barca, is the possibility of Sanchez coming our way.

He is 25, is a proven quality player that I believe would be one of our most exciting signings ever.

Selling for 100m and spending it ala Spurs is pointless and is something I'd be immediately against , but when you start talking about throwing in quality players like Sanchez into the bargain the I t immediately becomes more interesting.

Pedro is another I'd be interested in.

Would I consider a straight swap Suarez for the two of them? At this point I would yes I probably would.

At least we would be assured of pure quality coming in in this scenario.

70 or 80m might leave us worse off.

Personally I think anything above 30m with Sanchez included we should seriously consider

BBC is officially saying that Barca are interested in him for the right price.

Sanchez + £50M. Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Is there any particular reason Bayern are willing to let Shaqiri go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

My initial knee jerk reaction yesterday was to sell him but thinking about it we should keep him,send him to a head doctor,get him sorted for once & for all.
    Unless we are going to replace him with Messi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seriously what happens the next time what will the ban be then wgat will he be worth then

Especially if it's for punching a child....remember, that article said it so it's bound to happen.

The same as he is worth now?

Regardless of a ban, he a 30 goal a season striker who hit that mark while still being suspended at the start of last season. Anyone who wants him pays the market rate.

They're still disappointed it wasn't Shakira.

Tbf, I would be too.

Rrobben, Ribery and Muller would be the 3 main reasons I can think of.

Getting 20m for a benchwarmer is probably attractive business even for a giant like Bayern. I'm sure they have some wonder kid waiting to take his spot on the bench anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If Barca are in for him who do we take off their hands:

We have been linked with the following barca players so far:

Sanchez
    Tello
    Masch
    Pedro

Knowing our luck it will be Tello and a mars bar for Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh lads we all knew he'd be gone next Summer at the latest. Sanchez to me looked like the long term replacement, maybe the club think things have moved on now. Seriously, we can't afford to have Suarez out for 6 months or a season, for me its too risky. Could end up costing us CL nights.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If Barca are in for him who do we take off their hands:

We have been linked with the following barca players so far:

Sanchez
    Tello
    Masch
    Pedro

Knowing our luck it will be Tello and a mars bar for Suarez

Still sounds like a better deal than we got for Mickey Owen. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Think Barca might make a bid for him in January, but to think his value hasn't been affected is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

IMO there is no way Suarez should be sold for less than€90 million. That's his value in the curent market.
    We are in the position of power .
    Or maybe €60 m plus Sanchez.
    Remember if they dont pay up we are still left with the 3rd best player in the world.

K-9 wrote: »
    Tbh lads we all knew he'd be gone next Summer at the latest. Sanchez to me looked like the long term replacement, maybe the club think things have moved on now. Seriously, we can't afford to have Suarez out for 6 months or a season, for me its too risky. Could end up costing us CL nights.

Yeah I have a similar feeling that now might be the right time, but that feeling would hinge a lot on the possibility of Sanchez.

We were never going to get someone as good as Suarez, but Sanchez would be as good as we could expect, probably would be our star man, and one of the most dangerous players in the league.

If Sanchez is available now then I think now could be the time to let Suarez go. Would rather do that this summer than really be stuck finding a top quality replacement next summer

Morzadec wrote: »

Getting 20m for a benchwarmer is probably attractive business even for a giant like Bayern. I'm sure they have some wonder kid waiting to take his spot on the bench anyway

And Lewandowski on the way, and Gotze....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think Barca might make a bid for him in January, but to think his value hasn't been affected is mad.

Don't see why his value is a affected as they all know his ability. If it is, just hang on to him and then sell when he's playing again.

I think we should cash in soon, as it's not fair on the team and the manager to try and plan a season with a player who has been suspended for 33 games in 3 seasons and no guarantee that he doesn't do something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Especially if it's for punching a child....remember, that article said it so it's bound to happen.

Ideally we'd keep him and get Sanchez to have a season to settle in, but again its the risk of him doing something stupid. The release clause of 70 million still should be his market value for me. Would have been 100 million previously.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't see why his value is a affected as they all know his ability. If it is, just hang on to him and then sell when he's playing again.

I think we should cash in soon, as it's not fair on the team and the manager to try and plan a season with a player who has been suspended for 33 games in 3 seasons and no guarantee that he doesn't do something else.

To my mind, he's a bit like a player who is injury prone. Because of his issues, he is likely to get another lengthy ban. That's a major risk for clubs. And things like that affect price.

Also, 100m is Ronaldo/Bale type money. They went for that type of money when they were 24. unblemished records. Great resale value after 4 years.
    Suarez will be 28 before he plays again. Terrible disciplinary record. poor resale value after 4 years (he'd be 32 at that stage). Doesnt add up for me.
    ^^ This is how he would be viewed from a financial perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

IMO there is no way Suarez should be sold for less than€90 million. That's his value in the curent market.
    We are in the position of power .
    Or maybe €60 m plus Sanchez.
    Remember if they dont pay up we are still left with the 3rd best player in the world.

Where'd you get that valuation from? You seem awfully certain.

Is there a scale that let's you easily value "brilliant 30- goal a season nutcases with 4 month bans and histories of stupidity that will very likely lead to further bans in future"?

Or are you just basing it on what all the other "brilliant 30- goal a season nutcases with 4 month bans and histories of stupidity that will very likely lead to further bans in future" have been sold for?

Presuming to have any idea what his market value is right now is just silly. The only people who determine his market value are Liverpool and whoever wants to purchase him, and I'm sure they have more sophisticated methods than just plucking a number out of their arse.

And the vast majority would disagree very strongly with the 3rd best player in the world claim.

To my mind, he's a bit like a player who is injury prone. Because of his issues, he is likely to get another lengthy ban. That's a major risk for clubs. And things like that affect price.

Also, 100m is Ronaldo/Bale type money. They went for that type of money when they were 24. unblemished records. Great resale value after 4 years.
    Suarez will be 28 before he plays again. Terrible disciplinary record. poor resale value after 4 years (he'd be 32 at that stage). Doesnt add up for me.
    ^^ This is how he would be viewed from a financial perspective.

But there was a small risk in Bale, he might not recreate that form in Spain in a different system. I don't think there is any question that Suarez wouldn't score 20+ next season, wherever he is, even in a shortered season.

Also, Barca and Real must both be thinking "We have two great attackers, he would complete that trio, we can't afford to let our rivals get him..."

Dickerty wrote: »
    But there was a small risk in Bale, he might not recreate that form in Spain in a different system. I don't think there is any question that Suarez wouldn't score 20+ next season, wherever he is, even in a shortered season.

Also, Barca and Real must both be thinking "We have two great attackers, he would complete that trio, we can't afford to let our rivals get him..."

That risk would also apply to Suarez, or any player really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No way is a player so handy with his teeth going to sell for 90 million, damaged goods will be sold at a discount.

That risk would also apply to Suarez, or any player really.

I don't think near as much. He proved himself in the PL after Ajax and kept getting better and better, I just don't see it. The risk is his temperament. Anyway the market will dictate and the club apparently has release clauses. If Barca are interested despite everything, it gives Lfc leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Right , so if Suarez was sold and Sanchez comes in . Who would everyone like to see come in as a striker ?

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't think near as much. He proved himself in the PL and kept getting better and better, I just don't see it. The risk is his temperament. Anyway the market will dictate and the club apparently has release clauses. If Barca are interested despite everything gives Lfc leverage.

Could be talking about Bale here..

I think he'll go for a handsome amount, just nowhere near 100 million.
    I'm thinking maximum 60m now. (which is still HUGE money for any player - especially a player in his late 20s).

Could be talking about Bale here..

I think he'll go for a handsome amount, just nowhere near 100 million.
    I'm thinking maximum 60m now. (which is still HUGE money for any player - especially a player in his late 20s).

Missed my edit, Suarez stepped up from Ajax. The release clause is supposed to be 70 million euro. Considering we were talking 100 the morning before the bite I'd say that's about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Morzadec wrote: »

Ribery is done (or close enough) i thought, surely Shaqiri is perfect to step into his role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The club have dismissed claims by Suarez’s lawyer Alejandro Balbi that their representatives are meeting with him and the player’s agent Pere Guardiola in Barcelona today.

IrishTimes

Right , so if Suarez was sold and Sanchez comes in . Who would everyone like to see come in as a striker ?

Benzema, if Suarez is going to Real.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement