Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I am pie wrote: »
    Allen has been good, without being excellent. Champions League and competing in the prem demands more than he offers.

Allen or Anders Herrera?

Allen or Ozil?

Allen or Fabregas?

He's a step below those players unfortunately.

Herrera hasn't played a minute in England yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't think Gerrard is necessarily past it yet. Wasn't he in the running for POTY? I wouldn't agree that his form dropped off at the end of last year. He had the slip against Chelsea that everyone remembers but he was still one of our better peformers last year.

The Crystal Palace game btw I thought was one of the best games I'd seen them play up to the final 10 minutes when it all imploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Can, Lucas, Assaidi, Sterling and maybe add Shaqiri that's a strong and solid midfield to complete across next seaon.

Then add in maybe some youth who don't go on loan Teixeira and Ibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Came to pay my respects to the big man in dial-up heaven. Pouring a 40 to the side for 65 yo1$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

slingerz wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with Lallana tbh. I think the difference between him and Sanchez/Shaqiri on the pitch for Liverpool would be pretty negilible.

The difference is Sanchez/Shaqiri are exotic signings that are currently flavour of the month with the World Cup.

Not really, both are currently in one of the top 3 teams in the world. Both have CL experience and both have won a number of trophies are there respective clubs. What exactly has Lallana done that he demands a £25m fee and consideration over Shaqiri? If its Shaqiri or Lallana, we have picked the wrong player IMO.

Would it make sense to buy both? Really wanted Shaqiri for a while, he would suit the EPL down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Lallana doesn't address the elephant in the room, replacing Gerrard. Poor world cup, his form also dipped in the last month of the season.

Am not sure Can is ready, Lucas is not the answer either. We'll play Henderson, Lallana and Gerrard i assume, with Sterling, Sturridge +1 (Suarez when fit) in front.

Even more than I'd like to see Sanchez, I'd like to see a real presence, a big name, brought in to take Gerrards place. I can only see Gerrards performances going one direction, and it aint up.

Alex Witsel comes to mind.. He cost Zenit St Petersburg £32 m 2 years ago so that aint gonna happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I think we all know the obvious replacement for Gerard is Pirlo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In a week where we will lose Suarez for 4 months the biggest loss is undobtly mike hope it's over a ban rather than health
    Very civil lad wish him all the best

What? Mikes gone?

Ah balls, liked his posts.

He'll be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rob316 wrote: »
    Not really, both are currently in one of the top 3 teams in the world. Both have CL experience and both have won a number of trophies are there respective clubs. What exactly has Lallana done that he demands a £25m fee and consideration over Shaqiri? If its Shaqiri or Lallana, we have picked the wrong player IMO.

Would it make sense to buy both? Really wanted Shaqiri for a while, he would suit the EPL down to the ground.

We could get both, we need players of real quality in reserve. A bench of the likes of Lambert, Lucas, Borini, Coutinho, Allen, Agger and Enrique, that's what we need...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I think we all know the obvious replacement for Gerard is Pirlo![/
    Was very poor in the World Cup England game aside kept getting caught in possession
    Premiership wouldn't suit him wouldn't get the same time on the ball as in Italy

Lallana doesn't address the elephant in the room, replacing Gerrard. Poor world cup, his form also dipped in the last month of the season.

Am not sure Can is ready, Lucas is not the answer either. We'll play Henderson, Lallana and Gerrard i assume, with Sterling, Sturridge +1 (Suarez when fit) in front.

Even more than I'd like to see Sanchez, I'd like to see a real presence, a big name, brought in to take Gerrards place. I can only see Gerrards performances going one direction, and it aint up.

I keep saying it but I would love Toni Kroos I think the problem there is he loves money, supposed to be want ridiculous wages that Bayern wont even pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What? Mikes gone?

shock

Ah balls, liked his posts.

anger

He'll be back

acceptance

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Now, a little death anxiety is normal. You can expect to go through five stages. The first is denial.

Homer Simpson: No way, because I'm not dying!

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Second is anger.

Homer Simpson: [furiously] Why you little... !

Dr. Julius Hibbert: After that comes fear.

Homer Simpson: [worried] What's after fear? What's after fear?

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Bargaining.

Homer Simpson: Doc, you gotta get me outta this. I'll make it worth your while.

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Finally acceptance.

Homer Simpson: Well, we all gotta go sometime.

Dr. Julius Hibbert: Mr. Simpson, your progress astounds me.

:D

Lord above £30m for Luke Shaw, Sterling must be worth £50m :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I think we all know the obvious replacement for Gerard is Pirlo![/
    Was very poor in the World Cup England game aside kept getting caught in possession
    Premiership wouldn't suit him wouldn't get the same time on the ball as in
    Italy

I'd reply to you but since you appear unable to quote I won't bother

• Advertisement

Lord above £30m for Luke Shaw, Sterling must be worth £50m :D

He's overpriced alright but so is Lallana.

The money Bournemouth are due artificially pushed up the Lallana price though. Otherwise we would probably have gotten him for at least 5M cheaper.

He's overpriced alright but so is Lallana.

The money Bournemouth are due artificially pushed up the Lallana price though. Otherwise we would probably have gotten him for at least 5M cheaper.

True he is, just would make you wonder what Sterling would be worth with fees like that been thrown around for English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the TV money has inflated the English market more than ever so.

Shaw for £30m and Lallana for £25m is hilarious.

Shaw is £15m overpriced and Lallana is about £10m.

ah well, it's not my money. if Lallana does the business, none of us will care about the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Not thrilled about Lallana at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

I'd take Lallana for 25 million over Shaw for 30 million.

Quite happy with Lallana tbh.

• Advertisement

TrueIt wrote: »
    Not thrilled about Lallana at all..

He's a good player but hard to get excited about English players after their abysmal World Cup. Club football is different though and he was very good last season. First half away to Southampton I remember he was brilliant and ran rings around our midfield until we got hold of the game after half-time. Think he presses the ball extremely well as well which Rodgers will love.

Not many teams will cover more miles in a game than us with Henderson, Lallana and Can in the team thats for sure.

He's a good player but hard to get excited about English players after their abysmal World Cup. Club football is different though and he was very good last season. First half away to Southampton I remember he was brilliant and ran rings around our midfield until we got hold of the game after half-time. Think he presses the ball extremely well as well which Rodgers will love.

Thankfully we have a manager who lets footballers play football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

England were never going to do anything without Flanagan.

Is Can a good buy? I personally haven't heard anything about him. All I know is he's a midfielder... is he? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Is Can a good buy? I personally haven't heard anything about him. All I know is he's a midfielder... is he? :pac:

I know a few of the Bundesliga heads around here weren't exactly full of praise for him when he signed for us. We'll have to wait and see.

He's a very Coutinho buy from what I hear. A friend of mine is a Bundesliga nut (like our resident Nuri) and he says Can excelled at all levels underage and was a real prospect but he has not lived up to hype since. Rodgers and his wonders with youth is the right man to unlock his potential.

He's a very Coutinho buy from what I hear. A friend of mine is a Bundesliga nut (like our resident Nuri) and he says Can excelled at all levels underage and was a real prospect but he has not lived up to hype since. Rodgers and his wonders with youth is the right man to unlock his potential.

Coutinho-like in the way he plays, or in the way he underperformed at first-team level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Coutinho-like in the way he plays, or in the way he underperformed at first-team level?

I would imagine it's a case of he looked like a good prospect like Coutinho . Made it into the first team and kind of looked abit bad or not good enough .

No they are a different player, buddy compared him to Nuri Sahin (I know that's not great as he was rubbish for us). Like Coutinho as in he is a midfield player with a lot of potential. He said he could be a starter for us or he could be out the door in a season, you just don't know. A low risk signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Whatever the reasons mike closed his account but after 14 years and 90,000 posts id say it was tough clicking that button..this forum and boards will be a different place without him thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

10418915_10152520514429138_4246088518196563480_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some chatter about that Lallana has passed the medical and that the deal could be worth up to as much as £23m for Southampton. The "up to as much" bit seems to be repeated in a few places, so has me thinking a chunk of his fee will be dependant on hitting certain targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Delighted about the Lallana news, going to be a super signing. He was always going to be a bit over priced but doubt anyone will care this time next season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Comparisons with Downing are so wrong. Lallana is not a winger. Lallana Is able to take on and beat a defender 1 on 1. He's able to cross the ball when he has to and he's used to playing the type of football that Rodgers teams play. He's also prone to the odd goal himself.

Downing can't do any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Never bothered posting here or looking for permission, would have checked the Liverpool thread every day for years now. I feel like I know all the main posters so with Mike65 closing his account I like to say a fond fair well to him and I hope that he is back posting very soon.

Anyhow while I'm on I thought the right punishment for our star player would have been Immediate expulsion from the World Cup along with ayear or two ban form the national team and a massive fine. Something like a 5 million pound fine.

On Lallana I hope he isn't another Harry Kewell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Akabusi wrote: »

Anyhow while I'm on I thought the right punishment for our star player would have been Immediate expulsion from the World Cup along with ayear or two ban form the national team and a massive fine. Something like a 5 million pound fine.

Really?

OMG HE tried to bite Stevie G's arm off as well:eek::eek::eek::pac:

tACfS04.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

10418915_10152520514429138_4246088518196563480_n.jpg

The one thing about Lallana, is that regardless of what happens he will work his bollix off.

Downing didn't have the mentality or the ability to be a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

OMG HE tried to bite Stevie G's arm off as well:eek::eek::eek::pac:

tACfS04.gif

I'm done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

On Lallana I hope he isn't another Harry Kewell

Don't think he'd bite yer hand off for that offer

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Mike65 closing his account I like to say a fond fair well to him and I hope that he is back posting very soon.

What did he get banned for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Heard we offered Southampton the loan of saurez for 4 months as part of the lallana deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Is Mike65 gone? wtf

Really?

Well fifa talk about Liverpool just being unfortunate victims in the punishment. By slapping him with a massive fine he is the only one being punished. Anyhow it would only be a couple of months salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well fifa talk about Liverpool just being unfortunate victims in the punishment. By slapping him with a massive fine he is the only one being punished. Anyhow it would only be a couple of months salary

Speaking of which, do lfc still have to pay him during his ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

djPSB wrote: »
    The one thing about Lallana, is that regardless of what happens he will work his bollix off.

Downing didn't have the mentality or the ability to be a success.

You're forgetting he scored when he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, I see the sense in punishing the player rather than his club but 5 million pounds is obscene.

Yeah, I see the sense in punishing the player rather than his club but 5 million pounds is obscene.

So is the 200k a week he earns, but that's the world we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/liverpool-deny-suarez-lawyer-claims-of-barcelona-meeting-1.1847573

Liverpool are working their way through the legal minefield of striker Luis Suarez’s four-month ban for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini but are still a long way from even considering launching a challenge to Fifa.
    The club have dismissed claims by Suarez’s lawyer Alejandro Balbi that their representatives are meeting with him and the player’s agent Pere Guardiola in Barcelona today.
    Chief executive Ian Ayre and Guardiola have a good relationship and there has always been an open line of communication between the pair and Press Association Sport understands Ayre has been in regular contact with principal owner John Henry from the moment the Suarez incident happened on Tuesday evening.
    Whether the meeting in Barcelona ultimately takes place or not — it is understood Balbi was scheduled to accompany Suarez on a flight back to Montevideo following his expulsion from the World Cup — Liverpool are still trying to assimilate all the details and implications of the punishment handed down to the Uruguay international.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement