Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Where is Agueroooo today with all the twitter rumours?

I just wish I was seeing us linked to defenders as well.

It was the same last summer they seemed to be forgotten about till the last minute.

Agueroooo is Banned.

I thought we'd be in for Lovren and we've been linked with Alderweird again...Lots of people on twitter surprised that Garay went for so cheap, I wonder would he a have been an option for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Getting business done early anyway, solid signings adding squad depth. We really need Lambert as we don't really have any young lads coming up in that area, Can as well. Could see those getting plenty of cup games. Sanchez would be amazing but I can't help feel we'll be screaming about CM again. Allen I believe will improve a lot if he can injuries like Henderson, but I doubt we'll get that beast of a CM we'd love. Definitely seems to be a policy of MOAR goals and it makes sense. Score any where near last season and its guaranteed CL.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I bet it does, you have only finished in the top 4 once in the last several years.

140375966084.jpg

Good read that Sean Og piece. I would say that Lfc have stood by Suarez, probably more than a lot of others would and they've worked hard with him. Anyway, I doubt they'll be selling against his wishes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Good tactic from Liverpool spending the Suarez money now, before other clubs know they have the added cash.

Liverpool have no chance of the title next year with Chelsea splashing the cash on the likes of Costa and Cesc, while Pools targets are the likes of Lallana and Lambert.

Top four will be a struggle next season.

Our targets so far are players who will fit into the system that we play and won't upset the team chemistry we had all this season. It's grand buying all around you and hoping one or 2 of them end up being a hit but we don't have the money that Chelsea City and United have.

Even at that we managed to come 2nd last year, albeit thanks heavily to Suarez. But Rodgers instilled a fighting attitude and a team chemistry that almost saw us win our first pl title without spending heavily.

Say what you want about our signings but we'll be up there again next season, I've no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Suarez does leave, and we do get Sanchez we would still need another very good striker as well. Relying on Sturridge/Lambert/Borini (not even considering Aspas) would be far from good enough to get top 4 again and put up a decent display in the CL.

I'm not convinced that Suarez is oof though, or that that Sanchez is on the way in>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So, if Mike does come back, will he no longer be old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Knex. wrote: »
    So, if Mike does come back, will he no longer be old?

Young mike6.5 with super fast broadband for gifs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems like this Markovic move if it happens means we won't be following up our interest in Shaqiri.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

As exciting as some of these attacking players that we're linked with are, I'd prefer to see us sign a world class midfielder above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What kind of effect do ye think Suarez being sold would have on Sturridges game.

Would being no1 striker affect him, pressure wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

5starpool wrote: »
    If Suarez does leave, and we do get Sanchez we would still need another very good striker as well. Relying on Sturridge/Lambert/Borini (not even considering Aspas) would be far from good enough to get top 4 again and put up a decent display in the CL.

I'm not convinced that Suarez is oof though, or that that Sanchez is on the way in>

We'd need goals but we wouldn't necessarily need them from a striker.

Straight away we should be getting a dozen goals off the bench this season.

Between that, Sanchez (or a player of similar calibre), another wide forward/winger (like Markovich) and Lallana I think it would cover Suarez 30 odd goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

What kind of effect do ye think Suarez being sold would have on Sturridges game.

I think he looked happiest when Suarez was suspended last season. I think he plays well up top on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool would need another striker anyway. Sturridge will always miss a good handful of games every season with some class of muscle injury. Lambert is a great 3rd striking option but I wouldn't want to be relying on him as a number one too often.

Young mike6.5 with super fast broadband for gifs.

Seeing a new reg poster complain about gifs will be a sure fire way to spot the re-reg, not that we'll be able to speculate about such things of course.

Markovic doesn't mean we aren't in for Shaqiri, hopefully keeping options open which is wise.

I think he would love not having to play second fiddle to Suarez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Fescue wrote: »
    I think he looked happiest when Suarez was suspended last season. I think he plays well up top on his own.

Maybe. But he also knew that Luis was returning. I'm just worried that all the pressure now goes on him.

Maybe. But he also knew that Luis was returning. I'm just worried that all the pressure now goes on him.

He grabs me as the sort of chap who likes being the centre of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »

Agreed. I think a lot of people were thinking that Sanchez and Shaqiri would be a good start but looks as though we're heading for Markovic over Shaqiri.

Difficult to find decent strikers out there as a number of clubs can attest to.

• Advertisement

Still the pressure was on him and he coped well. I do think he's more than capable of 20 plus goals next season. The team is very much set up to exploit his strengths.

The only thing stopping Sturridge scoring goals like last season is injuries.

Which he seems to have a habbit of picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Drawing on K9's summary of the other thread (literally not allowed quote it) I think it could make a fantastic novel in itself.

Aids, Rape, Cantona: The Suarez Thread Story. That is how I will always remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I imagine after 90,000 posts and nearly as many on the Guardian website,Mike has typed his last remaining finger down to the knuckle and now he's done.

See ya round,Mike.

So if we have spent almost £40 million as it stands and with potential moves for Moreno, Lovren, Markovic and Origi in the pipeline, that would take spending over the £100 million mark. Would we spend that amount without selling Suarez?

I imagine after 90,000 posts and nearly as many on the Guardian website,Mike has typed his last remaining finger down to the knuckle and now he's done.

See ya round,Mike.

As a prolific enough poster I don't know how he does it. But very informative for the thread here, which mad as a box of hatters this is, we miss a few posters like that, that left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

So if we have spent almost £40 million as it stands and with potential moves for Moreno, Lovren, Markovic and Origi in the pipeline, that would take spending over the £100 million mark. Would we spend that amount without selling Suarez?

LFC can spend a fair chunk this summer . Top of the list for tv money . Gauranteed champions league money . All the the sponorships deals and then add in the fact they probably have clauses in them for playing in the champions league .

LFC can spend a fair chunk this summer . Top of the list for tv money . Gauranteed champions league money . All the the sponorships deals and then add in the fact they probably have clauses in them for playing in the champions league .

That's true enough. Still pretty unprecedented though.

I guess the club will expect a lot of money to come back in through the sale of a number of players.

We were supposed to have a £60/70m budget before any sales of players.

Lovern and Moreno would probably take spent monies up to that £60/70 budget.

So any big names brought in after that might hint at selingl Suarez but don't forget we were the biggest prize money winners in the PL last year we probably strech to a £100 million budget without having to worry about selling a player like Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

We were supposed to have a £60/70m budget before any sales of players.

Lovern and Moreno would probably take spent monies up to that £60/70 budget.

So any big names brought in after that might hint at selingl Suarez but don't forget we were the biggest prize money winners in the PL last year we probably strech to a £100 million budget without having to worry about selling a player like Suarez.

We still have to fund the development of anfield. Convinced Suarez is for sale. He is a stunning player and it would be a huge loss regardless of temperament.

Hard to know, IIRC one of the journos tweeted we'd be spending big. Reina and maybe Agger/Skrtel would free up wages. The players we've bought wouldn't be on big wages. How much would Sanchez be on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

brevity wrote: »
    Agueroooo is Banned.

I thought we'd be in for Lovren and we've been linked with Alderweird again...Lots of people on twitter surprised that Garay went for so cheap, I wonder would he a have been an option for us.

Is Agueroooo permabanned?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Is Agueroooo permabanned?

Best not to discuss these things here, but in general most of the info people talk about comes from the DRP forum (or else from clicking on cards to see the warning/ban info). Here is the relevant thread for this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057238328

Prob best to discuss the football anyhow. 7 weeks from now we will be like kids on Christmas eve as it'll be the day before the PL season starts. Hopefully one way or another all the Suarez stuff will be known by then and we'll have most if not all of our transfer business done.

I'm also getting the idea Brendan Rodgers is looking for players who won't mind rotation and understand it is a squad game.

Jaysus, the open month was going pretty well too until Suarez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blame suarez he has caused all the bans.

I'm also getting the idea Brendan Rodgers is looking for players who won't mind rotation and understand it is a squad game.

Yeah, its the right policy for us when we just don't have the squad depth others have.

rob316 wrote: »
    Blame suarez he has caused all the bans.

Hardly any point. His ban precludes him from all football related activity so he won't be logging into boards til November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

If Suarez plays fifa14 on ps4 - is this in breach of ban?

bitemeluis wrote: »
    If Suarez plays fifa14 on ps4 - is this in breach of ban?

They've deleted his save file remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Grayditch wrote: »

They're the real monsters here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Grayditch wrote: »

The bastards.

He's just going to be a big cencored block in the game until the January update.

Bit weird if the FIFA game let's you run around stadiums with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Our fallen comrade has a thread in his honour relating to his leaving of boards.
    His loss isn't being felt exclusively in this thread but all around the interweb

The Times are running this. It's gone behind the pay wall now.
    Luis Suárez appears to be heading inexorably towards an Anfield exit after Barcelona resolved to sign the controversial forward despite his four-month ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini, the Italy defender, in an incident that has overshadowed the World Cup.

The Barcelona hierarchy held talks in the aftermath of Suárez’s suspension to establish whether or not to continue their pursuit of him, and Luis Enrique, the club’s coach, is understood to have held sway with a passionate appraisal of the qualities that the 27-year-old would bring to the team.

According to reports in Spain, as well as extolling Suárez’s virtues as a player, those in favour of taking the Uruguay striker to the Nou Camp also offered a reminder that Barcelona retained the services of Hristo Stoichkov despite the Bulgarian receiving a two-month ban for stamping on the foot of Urizar Azpitarte, the referee, in 1990.

Liverpool are aware of the growing momentum behind Barcelona’s attempt to sign Suárez, and they are also conscious that the Uruguay striker has a long-held desire to move to Spain. Though Liverpool will not allow Suárez to leave willingly, there is a growing feeling within the club that it would make sense to allow him to depart should they receive an offer approaching the record £85 million fee that Real Madrid paid for Gareth Bale last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Times are running this. It's gone behind the pay wall now.

It's starting to look like we're spending the Suarez's money alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I won't be near as upset at Suarez leaving as I would have been Wednesday morning. I'd be delighted with Sanchez + £50m, but I'd hesitate for anything less.

Didn't realise Sanchez was only 25, feels like he has been at Barcelona longer than three years.

If we get near 85 milion pounds we'd be mad not to. It seems we are serious about Sanchez which might make it easier as both clubs will want to deal.

It looks like he is going to Barca. They won't pay straight up £80m anyway.

But I would take Sanchez and Deulofeu plus £40/50m cash.

I would also try for both full backs as well Montoya and Alba bringing the cash down to £20m and 4 players.

If they want him we want alot in return.

Imagine if Barca had Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

Sweet jaysus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement