Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

SlickRic wrote: »
    i said to a mate last night that I reckon it'll be a one game ban.

FIFA might not make the big call here.

FIFA is all about the monaaaayyy, and Suarez, whether you think he's deplorable or not, is box office. FIFA may well find a way to keep him in the tournament.

No I would be shocked if it was only one game, I'd almost say it's more likely that it's nothing, that they somehow say there is insufficient evidence (of course there is evidence).

It would have to be at least 3 games. There is a lot of attention on this and a lot of people angry about it...

I don't know, the act itself probably warrants 4-6 games, something like that, but the fact it's a repeat occurrence, the fact a lot of people are watching and he's a high-profile player, it could be more...

I would surprise if it goes as far as effecting Liverpool though. I would be surprised if it was a global 6-month or 1-year ban, imo those type of sentences should be reserved for very dangerous play where a player's career is deliberately threatened, Thatcher or Keane's famous fouls, maybe Pepe's outburst where he nearly kicks the player's head, these type of instances.

I would make a guess at maybe an 8-match ban, but what are we to know? Very difficult to call, but 1 game I really can't see. It would have to be 3 at a minimum.

Uruguay's and Suarez's reaction and statement should have some bearing too. If they own up and prepare a well-worded statement the could be lesser than if they continue to deny, which i think is a crazy path to take considering the overwhelming evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ok,so who posted the loyalist panda's pic near the end of the last thread ? !! things are fractious enough right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Although looking at Zidanes punishment - 2 match ban and a 2,000 pound fine....

Seems very tame, although Suarez's incident is of course worse.

Also, Tassotti only got 6 games for this:

Now that was 20 years ago, so maybe a different era slightly, but still seems pretty tame when you look at the devastating effect it had on Enrique's face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Morzadec wrote: »
    Although looking at Zidanes punishment - 2 match ban and a 2,000 pound fine....

Seems very tame, although Suarez's incident is of course worse.

It is?

You mean the headbutt on Materazzi? Where he headbutted the absolute **** out of him?

Don't be daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

With all the other serious incidents being mentioned, surprised nobody has mentioned Schumacher yet... Zero punishment for that incident which almost killed somebody!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Zidanes was way worse imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Zidanes was way worse imo

But that was a one-off, in the last game of a sterling career.

This is Suarez's 3rd incident, although the first in International football.
    Can they really treat it as an isolated incident?

I suspect an 8 game international ban, nothing on club football, but we sell him anyway. The English media will be ALL OVER him, and if he snaps again in a pool shirt, we could be without him for months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

That's coming back again to the point about biting just being weird. The headbutt was far more likely to do damage and looked a lot more vicious but because a headbutt is more 'normal' than a bite it also seems more acceptable to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

At this stage I think the only fair thing is to ban Suarez from life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RainMaker wrote: »
    With all the other serious incidents being mentioned, surprised nobody has mentioned Schumacher yet... Zero punishment for that incident which almost killed somebody!

You might as well cite something from the 19th century as regards punishment standards - everyone knew that was practically malicious intent to wound but back then even in a world cup the pressure was far less than it is now. Also imagine if he did it twice or three times! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

gimli2112 wrote: »
    They can ban him for club games. It's FIFA they can do what they want. What would annoy Liverpool fans is he wasn't banned from internationals, I think, when he got banned (the last time) at club level.

They have the power to ban him from club games but I can't see it happening . LFC could bring an argument that it didn't happen while he was playing for them so FIFA shouldn't punish the club for his actions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kenny and Ritchie speaking sense on RTE whereas over on SSN Ray Wilkins "understands" that Rodgers and Liverpools owners are having a meeting now and that they'll have to sell Suarez now, without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

mike65 wrote: »
    You might as well cite something from the 19th century as regards punishment standards ...

I couldn't find any videos on youtube from back then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Didn't even get a free kick IIRC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kenny and Ritchie speaking sense on RTE whereas over on SSN Ray Wilkins "understands" that Rodgers and Liverpools owners are having a meeting now and that they'll have to sell Suarez now, without question.

Ah sky sports news , got to love them . Such an amount of hype around Suarez by them . LFC won't sell him unless a crazy offer comes in for him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll decide on how I feel about this, depending on whether he stays or not...

Much easier that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Glad to see the auld bit of bite coming back into the game. Football has been becoming less and less of a contact sport recently. Players should be fighting tooth and nail for the win if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dickerty wrote: »
    But that was a one-off, in the last game of a sterling career.

It wasn't a once off. Zidane had a fierce temper and got his fair share of red cards.

He got a 5 match ban for headbutting a fella in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Glad to see the auld bit of bite coming back into the game. Football has been becoming less and less of a contact sport recently. Players should be fighting tooth and nail for the win if you ask me.

They fight tooth, shoulder, and elbow....it's just that the last 2 go unnoticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sure no one's going to buy him now. He's damaged goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pointing to more serious one off offences is idiotic when you remember this is his 3rd time doing it. 7 matches didn't work, 10 didn't work so naturally the 3rd time you are looking at the full 24 match ban I reckon.

Honestly I think he should take a break from football altogether, figure out wtf his wrong with him and come back to us when he gets help. He is a very private guy off the pitch and by all accounts a very nice one just something makes him snap on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

taidghbaby wrote: »
    At this stage I think the only fair thing is to ban Suarez from life.

Hello Danny Mills welcome to our thread!!.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

FIRST!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I wonder if Suarez can be taught to respond to pressurised situations in a different manner?

Substitute biting for something a little more innocuous. How many games for a purple nurple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm glad most of the mod-tolerated sweeping statements about Liverpool fans and the idiots that post them seem to be boxed off in that Suarez thread. Great move, making that thread to attract the flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nuri Sahin posts like a tabloid newspaper assassinating characters.

Gbear wrote: »
    It wasn't a once off. Zidane had a fierce temper and got his fair share of red cards.

He got a 5 match ban for headbutting a fella in the CL.

Well he WAS born in Marseille!!

(I thought it was a one off... :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin posts like a tabloid newspaper assassinating characters.

Finally playing him in his proper position and look at the results;-)

Fescue wrote: »
    I wonder if Suarez can be taught to respond to pressurised situations in a different manner?

Substitute biting for something a little more innocuous. How many games for a purple nurple?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/u/glasgow-psychologist-suarez-should-slap-his-thigh-hit-a-pillow-or-scream-to-avoid-biting-on-t.1403693028
    Glasgow psychologist: Suarez should slap his thigh, hit a pillow or scream to avoid biting on the pitch

Now that I'd pay to see!

Fescue wrote: »

Or a nice Chinese Burn??

Nah, he'd probably get banned for rasism again!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

mike65 wrote: »

I thought that said bite a pillow and then I got a weird image in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

brevity wrote: »
    I thought that said bite a pillow and then I got a weird image in my head.

We're getting dangerously close to that line...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Dickerty wrote: »
    Or a nice Chinese Burn??

Nah, he'd probably get banned for rasism again!! :eek:

Well the last two opponents he bit were both white so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Did Warrior give every player in the world cup a free pair of boots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

jMlxCCx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Terrible. Why would it be game over after he eats the ghosts?! There's loads of coins left :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Bq-CHJUCcAERLQw.jpg

Fifa have finally captured Suarez

Bq7WaN7CYAEpPMN.jpg

Bq9saZUIgAArzEP.jpg

Next time your hungry grab a Snickers.

Bq7AZT0CAAAxeAU.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

suarez-replay.gif

suarez1.gif

suarez3rd.gif

EnchantingImmaculateHumpbackwhale.gif

Genius.

• Advertisement

tWKzQ3h.gif

Oh on thommo saying Sanchez is a done deal the last time he said a deal was done for a player was the time Jose Enrique signed for LFC .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

I think we should Take a Punt on Ahmed Musa from Nigeria. Only 21 and plays for CSKA Moscow.

He just Scored 2 against Argentina, while going up against Pablo Zabaleta.

Never seen anyone get the Best of Zabaleta in the PL, as much as Musa is doing in this Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

I think we should Take a Punt on Ahmed Musa from Nigeria. Only 21 and plays for CSKA Moscow.

Never seen anyone get the Best of Zabaleta in the PL, as much as Musa is doing in this Game.

He did look quality in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Oh on thommo saying Sanchez is a done deal the last time he said a deal was done for a player was the time Jose Enrique signed for LFC .

Really? I was sure he has spouted some stuff over the last season or two that didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

21 you say, eh?

Call me sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Knex. wrote: »
    21 you say, eh?

Call me sceptical.

He does look Old.

But then again, most African Football Players look Old to me. :D

Knex. wrote: »
    21 you say, eh?

Call me sceptical.

Stephen Alkin is that you?
    Referring to the supposed doubts over Samuel Eto'os age, he said "you never know with African players.

gafferino wrote: »
    Really? I was sure he has spouted some stuff over the last season or two that didn't happen.

he got Jose Enrique (RIP) correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mourinho even commented on Eto'o's age last season.
    He is 32 years old, maybe 35, who knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement