Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Vicxas wrote: »
    I would die happy if Rodriguez signed for us. Such a good player.

Don't think he'd be able to handle Stoke on a cold wet night at the Brittania :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Need to sign a Columbian, so Liverpool can be the Newcastle of the 90s in the 10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Anytime I have seen cavani he has been pure crap

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Cuadrado would be a great signing too, very good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Uruguay as a whole look toothless without Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

They look very functional with Suarez providing a spark of genius to provide results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Uruguay really are just stumbling from one game to the next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just saw on Twatter that The Daily Fail are running with a story of Kuyt to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Real Madrid prepping Raheem Sterling bid as Ronaldo injury concerns grow.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/real-madrid-prepping-raheem-sterling-3780512

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

same here. me and my brother cant understand why he is regarded as such a good player. we seen him alot in the CL for psg and napoli aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Not sure if it's been posted yet but this is by far the best piece I've read on Suarez since the incident. Cusack talking a lot of sense without the sensationalist BS everyone else has resorted to

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/suarez-is-just-another-crazy-mixed-up-kid-not-a-bad-person-273535.html#.U656m6ZqaxV.facebook

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/real-madrid-prepping-raheem-sterling-3780512

As good as Sterling is I can't see Real going in for him. His career would be much better off with Liverpool in any case, first team place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    same here. me and my brother cant understand why he is regarded as such a good player. we seen him alot in the CL for psg and napoli aswell

It's really easy to understand. It goes like this:

104 games, 78 goals. That's his Serie A record with Napoli.

He hasn't looked great whenever I've seen him, but those numbers don't happen to average players. I'm going to assume he's just had poor games whenever I've watched him until there's a lot more evidence against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

but dem cheekbones *faint*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He was a beast tonight.

The amount of work he got through was incredible.

He did all he could but Colombia are just way better than Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Cavani's been playing second fiddle to Suarez and Zlatan. He'd be lethal again, if a team was built around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think his record just shows how bad Serie A is.

Now, there's a well researched journo story!

In other news Borini to Bayern for 67m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm gonna miss The mike65's paper round up :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

As much as I'll miss his contributions I admire his integrity, his principles. Not to be ****ed with was our Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

And his loan watch.

We will have to delegate Mike's duties to other PandaSaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I missed the Mike saga - Brief rundown??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shaw went for 30m I would be asking atleast 50m for sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Quick question, first friendly is on the 16th, when do players who weren't involved in WC begin training and how long do players who are involved in WC get off before they return for training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Express and a few other sources stating Sanchez has opted for Arsenal :(

Gutted if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Gbear wrote: »
    He was a beast tonight.

The amount of work he got through was incredible.

He did all he could but Colombia are just way better than Uruguay.

Not sure what game you were looking at - he was pants, even if he did some running around, he's their main striker and should have been in the box at all times - Forlan was never going to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think his record just shows how bad Serie A is.

Rubbish. Higuaín only scored 17 last year. Higuaín is a fantastic striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Suarez lawyer has given a statement

BrOPbggCQAEGth8.jpg

Wow, really? Dig *up* Luis!

I don't have time for all the knee-jerk reaction stuff, but clearly Luis has problems and clearly he's currently surrounded by people who are not helping him, and giving him bad advice. He really can't claim to be innocent here, and doing so only looks even worse, and feeds into his 'they all hate me, I'm the innocent party' attitude...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mike is still posting prolifically on the guardian website...he could be back

Lebron is available on a free transfer should we give our minority owner a try out as a back up keeper :pac:

His jeresy sales alone would pay his wages for the first season (Maybe):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Who's Mike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Interesting article by Catahl Kelly in thescore.ie,, take it ye would take the deal below.
    In the hours before FIFA banned him for four months of “football-related activity,” you could sense where Luis Suarez wanted this to go.

He wanted to leave this tournament a footballing martyr. He also wanted to manipulate the circumstances of his employment. FIFA has just helped him accomplish both.
    There was a great bureaucratic tongue-lashing given out, which won’t come close to touching Suarez. In fact, he didn’t seem at all bothered by the idea of missing the rest of the World Cup. An hour after the game against Italy – enough time to absorb that he’d been caught on camera and was doomed – he’d shrugged in the mixed zone like a man without worries.

To his way of thinking, he’d already gotten revenge in the one game that mattered – against England.

Since arriving there three years ago, Suarez has repeatedly claimed the English media has a vendetta against him. This despite the fact that he was just named the country’s footballer of the year.

In the presser following The Bite, there were three questions to Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez about it. All came from English journalists. Tabarez lost his cool and began lecturing them about “cheap morality.”

For whatever reason, Suarez has concocted a paranoid fantasy in which the forces of Europe have lined up against him. The Uruguayan football establishment has abetted him in this delusion.

“We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suarez involved, and, secondly, because Italy have been eliminated,” his lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, told Uruguayan radio. “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy.”

That story is impossible to disprove, and will therefore live forever. Suarez is now able to pass himself off as a victim in the only place he’ll care about - back home.

After two goals against England and a great deal of post-match jabbering, Suarez’s desire palpably drained. He was half-hearted against Italy. It’s also important to remember that he underwent knee surgery a month ago. Those are now some very valuable knees, and Suarez may want to protect them.

One of the several ways to look at his biting of defender Giorgio Chiellini is as a way to end an unwanted professional commitment.

Surely, he understood that he was headed home once he bit someone. For the third time. Suarez is unhinged, but he’s also proven himself a wonderful facilitator at getting the things he wants.

So, having showed up the country he hates, he grows bored and frustrated and bites the Italian. He gets banned for however many games. He goes home, where he starts his real work of the summer – leaving England.

As such, there is a malign brilliance to what Suarez has accomplished here.

Suarez will not be able to play for his club, Liverpool, until November 1st. He’ll miss a quarter of the Premiership season. He’ll also be absent for the beginning of Liverpool’s crucial Champions League campaign.

They began last year in similar straits. Suarez missed the first several weeks as he served out a ban for another biting incident – this time against Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

This must be getting very old for them.

From the beginning of this tournament, there was a clear whisper campaign under way to plant the idea of Suarez leaving Liverpool. His father-in-law gave an interview to Spanish TV in which he said it was time for Suarez to decamp England for Spain.

A former teammate in the Dutch league was dredged up to assert that it was always Suarez’s dream to play at Barcelona.

And then, lo-and-behold, those very rumours began to surface. Last summer, Suarez flirted outrageously with Real Madrid, saying he would do anything to leave England. When that got nowhere, he switched his sights to Arsenal – which you’ll recall is in England. Neither move came off. Suarez signed a new deal with Liverpool that extends until 2018.

Now, Barcelona has reportedly made a gigantic cash-and-players pitch that would include $150-million, Chile’s Alexis Sanchez and Spain’s Pedro.

That would be a very difficult offer to turn down.

Nonetheless, Liverpool will not want to sell. Or, to put it more precisely, will not want to be seen to be selling. They’ve just bobbed to the surface of the Premiership for the first time years. Suarez may be the best striker on the planet. Selling him will seem like a surrender or, worse yet, a confirmation of their minor league status.

But Suarez has created the path by which everyone gets to their hoped-for destination.

The ban makes him a toxic commodity. Liverpool does not have the depth to cover his weeks-long absence. Barcelona does.

So, he gets to leave. Liverpool can let him leave. Barcelona gets their man.

Having tried once to disentangle himself from the Premiership, Suarez realized he would have to take more dramatic measures. Those would require rendering himself a pariah in England, paving the way for his exit.

This is not to suggest that was running through his mind in the moment he sank his teeth into Chiellini. But perhaps he’d been thinking about it long before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's just as bad as the conspiracy theories about the English media. There is no way on this earth Suarez wanted to get banned playing for his country and miss the rest of the WC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

K-9 wrote: »
    That's just as bad as the conspiracy theories about the English media. There is no way on this earth Suarez wanted to get banned playing for his country and miss the rest of the WC.

Exactly , to me Suarez is the type of player that plays the game like he is on the streets and will do what it takes to win .
    Wether he has to handle it on the line or bite people to annoy or put them off his game . Suarez is a win at all costs player and you can see that very clearly in him .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

patmac wrote: »
    Interesting article by Catahl Kelly in thescore.ie,, take it ye would take the deal below.
    In the hours before FIFA banned him for four months of “football-related activity,” you could sense where Luis Suarez wanted this to go.

He wanted to leave this tournament a footballing martyr. He also wanted to manipulate the circumstances of his employment. FIFA has just helped him accomplish both.
    There was a great bureaucratic tongue-lashing given out, which won’t come close to touching Suarez. In fact, he didn’t seem at all bothered by the idea of missing the rest of the World Cup. An hour after the game against Italy – enough time to absorb that he’d been caught on camera and was doomed – he’d shrugged in the mixed zone like a man without worries.

To his way of thinking, he’d already gotten revenge in the one game that mattered – against England.

Since arriving there three years ago, Suarez has repeatedly claimed the English media has a vendetta against him. This despite the fact that he was just named the country’s footballer of the year.

In the presser following The Bite, there were three questions to Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez about it. All came from English journalists. Tabarez lost his cool and began lecturing them about “cheap morality.”

For whatever reason, Suarez has concocted a paranoid fantasy in which the forces of Europe have lined up against him. The Uruguayan football establishment has abetted him in this delusion.

“We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suarez involved, and, secondly, because Italy have been eliminated,” his lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, told Uruguayan radio. “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy.”

That story is impossible to disprove, and will therefore live forever. Suarez is now able to pass himself off as a victim in the only place he’ll care about - back home.

After two goals against England and a great deal of post-match jabbering, Suarez’s desire palpably drained. He was half-hearted against Italy. It’s also important to remember that he underwent knee surgery a month ago. Those are now some very valuable knees, and Suarez may want to protect them.

One of the several ways to look at his biting of defender Giorgio Chiellini is as a way to end an unwanted professional commitment.

Surely, he understood that he was headed home once he bit someone. For the third time. Suarez is unhinged, but he’s also proven himself a wonderful facilitator at getting the things he wants.

So, having showed up the country he hates, he grows bored and frustrated and bites the Italian. He gets banned for however many games. He goes home, where he starts his real work of the summer – leaving England.

As such, there is a malign brilliance to what Suarez has accomplished here.

Suarez will not be able to play for his club, Liverpool, until November 1st. He’ll miss a quarter of the Premiership season. He’ll also be absent for the beginning of Liverpool’s crucial Champions League campaign.

They began last year in similar straits. Suarez missed the first several weeks as he served out a ban for another biting incident – this time against Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

This must be getting very old for them.

From the beginning of this tournament, there was a clear whisper campaign under way to plant the idea of Suarez leaving Liverpool. His father-in-law gave an interview to Spanish TV in which he said it was time for Suarez to decamp England for Spain.

A former teammate in the Dutch league was dredged up to assert that it was always Suarez’s dream to play at Barcelona.

And then, lo-and-behold, those very rumours began to surface. Last summer, Suarez flirted outrageously with Real Madrid, saying he would do anything to leave England. When that got nowhere, he switched his sights to Arsenal – which you’ll recall is in England. Neither move came off. Suarez signed a new deal with Liverpool that extends until 2018.

Now, Barcelona has reportedly made a gigantic cash-and-players pitch that would include $150-million, Chile’s Alexis Sanchez and Spain’s Pedro.

That would be a very difficult offer to turn down.

Nonetheless, Liverpool will not want to sell. Or, to put it more precisely, will not want to be seen to be selling. They’ve just bobbed to the surface of the Premiership for the first time years. Suarez may be the best striker on the planet. Selling him will seem like a surrender or, worse yet, a confirmation of their minor league status.

But Suarez has created the path by which everyone gets to their hoped-for destination.

The ban makes him a toxic commodity. Liverpool does not have the depth to cover his weeks-long absence. Barcelona does.

So, he gets to leave. Liverpool can let him leave. Barcelona gets their man.

Having tried once to disentangle himself from the Premiership, Suarez realized he would have to take more dramatic measures. Those would require rendering himself a pariah in England, paving the way for his exit.

This is not to suggest that was running through his mind in the moment he sank his teeth into Chiellini. But perhaps he’d been thinking about it long before.

I don't know what's funnier: the ludicrous conspiracy theory, the fact that he had the balls to publish it, or the idea that Suarez is worth 150 million. Either way, that lad needs to get out more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we cant get Sanchez as part of the deal, I would'nt sell. I cant think of single forward out there that I would want in Suarez's place bar Sanchez. Better to keep him, hope the ban is reduced on appeal and hope he can repeat last seasons form.

The reason Suarez is so good is that he plays in the moment he has no Idea what he is going to do next when the ball comes to him. That is why he is so good if he doesn't know what he is going to do how can a defender.

So to say he is premeditated in anything he does on the pitch is a mistake.

Of course for a deadball situation he does have a time to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I wonder do the people who think cavani is rubbish think the same about Zlatan. I've read that fallacy a lot on boards too.

I'm hoping we can still convince Sanchez to sign. Tho last night my pyjamaland dreams revealed that we keep Luis and sign xerdan and benatia. That would do gone for me...

150m dollars ? is only 88m pounds. But I don't know why the writer of the article would use dollars?

Secondly to try and say that Suarez bit the guy on purpose to engineer a move is totally daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

That article is horsesh&t.

'The only game that mattered to him was the England game'. Gimme a break. It amazes me how some people buy into this manure.

Echo reporting that Sanchez fancies a move to Arsenal if he moves at all

Yeah I'd say Sanchez may prefer Arsenal ( London etc etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »

Looks like a case of dumping more money infront of him so .

Hehe...people getting caught out by the amount :D. I'd be proud if that was an original boards post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Where? I see it in the gossip/rumour section but no where else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Both arsenal and united seem to think he's moving to their club. Wonder what would happen if arsenal were to lose their champions league play off game?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

There's a bit of a trend in this World Cup of experienced players from premier league teams showing a complete lack of discipline which they never would during the prem season (Muntari, Boateng, Valencia, Assou-Ekotto and 13/14 Luis Suarez). I think when u take some players out of their premier league comfort zone, where they are part of a structure of team mates, managers & coaches (and even psychologists) who know how to make them tick and control them they resort to type. Possibly even the same with Roy Keane back in the day. Doesn't condone what Suarez did at all but might help towards explaining how / why he could let this happen again.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Where? I see it in the gossip/rumour section but no where else?

Yeah that's where it is. No quotes so who knows.

Both arsenal and united seem to think he's moving to their club. Wonder what would happen if arsenal were to lose their champions league play off game?

Aren't United busy signing the Bundesliga?

As for Arsenal...hopefully Sanchez is this season's Suarez or Higuain or Bender....etc, etc.

As for the 2nd question...laughter, lots of laughter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement