Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

Liverpool and Arsenal ladies currently playing each other.

Winner gets Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can see us just ending up doing a swap for Tello :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

With all the talk of World Cup players, it would be a good time to make a bid for Firmino. Another year and his price will skyrocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

SHUT UP
    SHUT UP
    SHUT UP
    SHUT UP

:( :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If Liverpool sell Suarez they need to replace him with world class players, Sanchez fits the bill and would be an incredible signing, realistically the best we could hope for. Shaqiri may not be world class but I would suggest that he is an elite player, despite being maybe a level below Sanchez, signing at least one or two players of this quality is essential if Suarez leaves. What I can see happening however is players such as Lallana and Markovic coming in instead, and while they might turn out to be great signings they are risky signings as replacements for Suarez and could backfire.

I really think the club need to go all out for Sanchez, if there was ever a time for us to sign a player of that ilk it would be now, and using him as part of the Suarez deal would make sense for all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Both arsenal and united seem to think he's moving to their club. Wonder what would happen if arsenal were to lose their champions league play off game?

Wishful thinking. He will be playing champions league football with arsenal next season. It is an easy decision for Sanchez to make imo. It's obvious what club is moving forward, especially with all the talk of suarez leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Wishful thinking. He will be playing champions league football with arsenal next season. It is an easy decision for Sanchez to make imo. It's obvious what club is moving forward, especially with all the talk of suarez leaving

The only club from the trio that's moved forward recently isn't arsenal. Unless staying exactly the same in the league at 4th is progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lol at that Score.ie article. Fairly unsuprising though in fairness considering the score.ie is the sport branch of thejournal.ie, all round hack journalism at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Arsenal have been standing still for the last 5 years.....

There's only talk of our best player leaving, Arsenals best players have all left the club in the last few years

Stones and glass houses etc..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Liverpool go from 7th place one season to within 3 points of winning the league the next season and you're arguing Arsenal are the team moving forward? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Arsenal will fall out of the top four next year IMO. Arsenal don't have the team to compete for trophies either. United have no Champions League to offer and Liverpool have the potential of a summer of Suarez leaving hanging over them.

If you're Alexis Sanchez you're probably not going to be joining a Premier League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Not sure if serious .

That's the next punishment for Suarez while FIFA continue to make up his punishment as time goes on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

You start your post with "Wishful thinking" and then indulge in the same for the rest of it. Good work fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

glued wrote: »
    Arsenal will fall out of the top four next year IMO.

That one's been doing the rounds for about a decade now, you'd think people would learn. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

glued wrote: »
    Arsenal will fall out of the top four next year IMO. Arsenal don't have the team to compete for trophies either. United have no Champions League to offer and Liverpool have the potential of a summer of Suarez leaving hanging over them.

If you're Alexis Sanchez you're probably not going to be joining a Premier League club.

Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League for seventeen consecutive years. Nothing whatsoever to suggest that they won't do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This reads like one of Turty's posts :D

Knex. wrote: »

True :D

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dairygold1990

Arsenal have been standing still for the last 5 years.....

There's only talk of our best player leaving, Arsenals best players have all left the club in the last few years

Stones and glass houses etc..........

since last summer arsenal are no longer letting their world class players leave instead they are buying them. Times have changed, arsenal now have the money to compete for any world class player in the world.

When suarez leaves liverpool will be back to where they were before, a mid table team. It's obvious if Liverpool are settling average players such as lambert, they will not get near 4th this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Who are you?

• Advertisement

This is why we had a posting requirement.

Maybe if we (Arsenal) sign another world class player you can start to say that sort of thing, but right now the best thing to do is shut up and see if it's actually a new dawn in terms of Arsene's transfer policy.

Everyone else is, fairly reasonably, sceptical. Buying one Ozil doesn't make us Chelsea or City quite yet (in terms of buying established top players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If Suarez leaves Liverpool can offer Sanchez big wages plus guaranteed CL football. Those are facts, not opinions!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League for seventeen consecutive years. Nothing whatsoever to suggest that they won't do it again.

That's all well and good qualifying for 17 years on the bounce it doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen . Right now man utd have strengthened , Liverpool have bough a few players too . So arsenal could find it tough this season . Then you have spurs if poccethino can get the best out of that squad they will be contenders too .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They are becoming a parody of a parody.

One thing about FSG is they want to stay in the CL and chat of 60 Million pounds + sales minimum to spend. Sell Suarez and that's 150 ml stg, or Sanchez, Lalana, Can, Lambert, Shaqiri, Markovic and still 40 ml. Left over. These guys have spent 4 years getting here, they aren't going to let it go without a hell of a fight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's all well and good qualifying for 17 years on the bounce it doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen . Right now man utd have strengthened , Liverpool have bough a few players too . So arsenal could find it tough this season . Then you have spurs if poccethino can get the best out of that squad they will be contenders too .

This has all been trotted out every year for the last decade. I'm actually slightly surprised it's still being trotted out now, when we are actually improving rather than stagnating, have more money than ever, and finally no major losses likely in the summer either.

People very rarely learn though, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

This has all been trotted out every year for the last decade. I'm actually slightly surprised it's still being trotted out now, when we are actually improving rather than stagnating, have more money than ever, and finally no major losses likely in the summer either.

How have Arsenal improved this year from last?

Fescue wrote: »

59210_wenger_stranfoci.jpg

Let it go lads...they are currently in their 'Our Year' stage (but in a non joking way), let them have it.

People very rarely learn though, I suppose.

We will have to wait and see but it looks like arsenal could be the weak link of last seasons top 4 .
    As good as team as arsenal they really need to sign players to score goals . Until they sort this out then I can't really see them challenging for top honours .

• Advertisement

Is that a serious question? I'll pretend for a minute it is, just in case.

Lets look at players first:
    We have signed Mesut Ozil, first of all. Secondly, Aaron Ramsey has developed into a midfielder who seems to score in every other game. Thirdly, Wojciech Szczesney has tied for Golden Gloves in the EPL with Petr Cech. Mertesacker and Koscielney formed arguably the best defensive partnership in the league last year, besides maybe Chelsea's.

Now, results:
    We finished with our highest points total since around 2004 (not sure of this, but I would guess so). We sustained a challenge for most of the season for the first time in years, which subsequently fell apart, mostly due to a lack of squad depth and some severe injuries. We won our first trophy in a long time, the FA Cup (beating Liverpool, Spurs and Everton en route).

Now, none of the above suggests we're going to win the league or anything next year. I'm not claiming that. But to say that doesn't represent improvement over years of no trophies and few real threats of winning anything is completely absurd.

We will have to wait and see but it looks like arsenal could be the weak link of last seasons top 4 .
    As good as team as arsenal they really need to sign players to score goals . Until they sort this out then I can't really see them challenging for top honours .

I don't think so. We still have better players all around the pitch (except up front, where both Pool and Utd have much better options) than everyone bar City and Chelsea.

If you're basing the "weak link" idea on the fact that we haven't signed anyone, while we're still in June, all the best players are at the World Cup, as is our manager, and nobody has really made any major signings bar Chelsea signing Fabregas (calling teenage full backs, decent attacking options like Lallana, and unheard of Spanish/German midfielders "major signings" is a bit of a stretch) I think that's more than a little premature.

Is that a serious question? I'll pretend for a minute it is, just in case.

Lets look at players first:
    We have signed Mesut Ozil, first of all. Secondly, Aaron Ramsey has developed into a midfielder who seems to score in every other game. Thirdly, Wojciech Szczesney has tied for Golden Gloves in the EPL with Petr Cech. Mertesacker and Koscielney formed arguably the best defensive partnership in the league last year, besides maybe Chelsea's.

Now, results:
    We finished with our highest points total since around 2004 (not sure of this, but I would guess so). We sustained a challenge for most of the season for the first time in years, which subsequently fell apart, mostly due to a lack of squad depth and some severe injuries. We won our first trophy in a long time, the FA Cup (beating Liverpool, Spurs and Everton en route).

Now, none of the above suggests we're going to win the league or anything next year. I'm not claiming that. But to say that doesn't represent improvement over years of no trophies and few real threats of winning anything is completely absurd.

It was a serious question actually.

Still you finished fourth again. Fair enough with a few more points than last year but fourth is fourth. Winning the FA cup may well be a turning point for this squad in terms of confidence, time will tell.

The manner in which you lost to Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea though has to be hugely concerning.

If you're talking about improving then you look at a team like Liverpool going from 7th to 2nd. Thats improvement. Arsenal might be marginally better, thats about it. Marginal.

It was a serious question actually.

Still you finished fourth again. Fair enough with a few more points than last year but fourth is fourth. Winning the FA cup may well be a turning point for this squad in terms of confidence, time will tell.

The manner in which you lost to Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea though has to be hugely concerning.

If you're talking about improving then you look at a team like Liverpool going from 7th to 2nd. Thats improvement. Arsenal might be marginally better, thats about it. Marginal.

Fourth is not practically very different to second or third (given that we always win the qualifier). Of course, I'd much rather come second or even third, but I wouldn't swap winning the FA cup for them.

It's a good bit more than marginal improvement, I think, but we will not see which of us is right on that point for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Arsenal had a better season than us last year, by the end.

Also, we're hardly nailed on for a top 4, yet...

Fourth is not practically very different to second or third (given that we always win the qualifier). Of course, I'd much rather come second or even third, but I wouldn't swap winning the FA cup for them.

It's a good bit more than marginal improvement, I think, but we will not see which of us is right on that point for a while yet.

I think both Liverpool and Arsenal will have to improve more than marginally this season if they want to challenge for a top four place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

patmac wrote: »
    Interesting article by Catahl Kelly in thescore.ie,, take it ye would take the deal below.
    In the hours before FIFA banned him for four months of “football-related activity,” you could sense where Luis Suarez wanted this to go.

He wanted to leave this tournament a footballing martyr. He also wanted to manipulate the circumstances of his employment. FIFA has just helped him accomplish both.
    There was a great bureaucratic tongue-lashing given out, which won’t come close to touching Suarez. In fact, he didn’t seem at all bothered by the idea of missing the rest of the World Cup. An hour after the game against Italy – enough time to absorb that he’d been caught on camera and was doomed – he’d shrugged in the mixed zone like a man without worries.

To his way of thinking, he’d already gotten revenge in the one game that mattered – against England.

Since arriving there three years ago, Suarez has repeatedly claimed the English media has a vendetta against him. This despite the fact that he was just named the country’s footballer of the year.

In the presser following The Bite, there were three questions to Uruguay manager Oscar Tabarez about it. All came from English journalists. Tabarez lost his cool and began lecturing them about “cheap morality.”

For whatever reason, Suarez has concocted a paranoid fantasy in which the forces of Europe have lined up against him. The Uruguayan football establishment has abetted him in this delusion.

“We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suarez involved, and, secondly, because Italy have been eliminated,” his lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, told Uruguayan radio. “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy.”

That story is impossible to disprove, and will therefore live forever. Suarez is now able to pass himself off as a victim in the only place he’ll care about - back home.

After two goals against England and a great deal of post-match jabbering, Suarez’s desire palpably drained. He was half-hearted against Italy. It’s also important to remember that he underwent knee surgery a month ago. Those are now some very valuable knees, and Suarez may want to protect them.

One of the several ways to look at his biting of defender Giorgio Chiellini is as a way to end an unwanted professional commitment.

Surely, he understood that he was headed home once he bit someone. For the third time. Suarez is unhinged, but he’s also proven himself a wonderful facilitator at getting the things he wants.

So, having showed up the country he hates, he grows bored and frustrated and bites the Italian. He gets banned for however many games. He goes home, where he starts his real work of the summer – leaving England.

As such, there is a malign brilliance to what Suarez has accomplished here.

Suarez will not be able to play for his club, Liverpool, until November 1st. He’ll miss a quarter of the Premiership season. He’ll also be absent for the beginning of Liverpool’s crucial Champions League campaign.

They began last year in similar straits. Suarez missed the first several weeks as he served out a ban for another biting incident – this time against Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

This must be getting very old for them.

From the beginning of this tournament, there was a clear whisper campaign under way to plant the idea of Suarez leaving Liverpool. His father-in-law gave an interview to Spanish TV in which he said it was time for Suarez to decamp England for Spain.

A former teammate in the Dutch league was dredged up to assert that it was always Suarez’s dream to play at Barcelona.

And then, lo-and-behold, those very rumours began to surface. Last summer, Suarez flirted outrageously with Real Madrid, saying he would do anything to leave England. When that got nowhere, he switched his sights to Arsenal – which you’ll recall is in England. Neither move came off. Suarez signed a new deal with Liverpool that extends until 2018.

Now, Barcelona has reportedly made a gigantic cash-and-players pitch that would include $150-million, Chile’s Alexis Sanchez and Spain’s Pedro.

That would be a very difficult offer to turn down.

Nonetheless, Liverpool will not want to sell. Or, to put it more precisely, will not want to be seen to be selling. They’ve just bobbed to the surface of the Premiership for the first time years. Suarez may be the best striker on the planet. Selling him will seem like a surrender or, worse yet, a confirmation of their minor league status.

But Suarez has created the path by which everyone gets to their hoped-for destination.

The ban makes him a toxic commodity. Liverpool does not have the depth to cover his weeks-long absence. Barcelona does.

So, he gets to leave. Liverpool can let him leave. Barcelona gets their man.

Having tried once to disentangle himself from the Premiership, Suarez realized he would have to take more dramatic measures. Those would require rendering himself a pariah in England, paving the way for his exit.

This is not to suggest that was running through his mind in the moment he sank his teeth into Chiellini. But perhaps he’d been thinking about it long before.

I think you need to look up the word 'interesting' in the dictionary, i think you have it confused with 'pathetic' or something else along those lines. There is nothing interesting at all to be gleaned from this article, except perhaps the writer's wild imagination. I will say it is quite funny tho how he seems to paint Suarez as some sort of Bond villain, with evil pre meditated plans and reach and influence so far that he could anticipate Fifa's reaction/ruling on such a bite. Hilarious! :rolleyes:

I mean, seriously if the guy wanted out of England so badly that he would be willing to do something as drastic as bite someone at the World Cup don't you think he would be willing to just take the drastic step of not renewing his contract with Liverpool so many times since he has been here. I'm not sure of the length of his original contract but I'm sure he could have walked out of Liverpool next summer on a Bosman and pick his club, which would in turn mean that we would have probably cashed in even sooner meaning he would have gotten his dream move sooner. Christ on a bike!!!! :rolleyes:

Grayditch wrote: »

I'd gladly take Arsenal's 2013/14 for Liverpool next year.

Top 4, FA Cup, and decent showing in the CL as well.

I think both Liverpool and Arsenal will have to improve more than marginally this season if they want to challenge for a top four place.

Well, at the very least one of them will get it. Spurs aren't within an asses roar of a shot, and Everton have lost their best player.

• Advertisement

If we'd got 4th we'd be fretting about the play off draw. FA Cup would have been nice but I'd prefer guaranteed CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

since last summer arsenal are no longer letting their world class players leave instead they are buying them. Times have changed, arsenal now have the money to compete for any world class player in the world.

When suarez leaves liverpool will be back to where they were before, a mid table team. It's obvious if Liverpool are settling average players such as lambert, they will not get near 4th this year

That's because they didn't have any left, they sold them all.

This place is finally getting to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They did though, if Spurs had done the same, I wouldn't say it. My Spurs are your Arsenal, Turdy, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Well Fabregas hasn't left this summer...

They did though, if Spurs had done the same, I wouldn't say it. My Spurs are your Arsenal, Turdy, haha.

What have Spurs done that you're still bitter about?

And K9 sums it up...situations reversed Arsenal fans would still be going on about having the best season after City.

• Advertisement

I'd gladly take Arsenal's 2013/14 for Liverpool next year.

Top 4, FA Cup, and decent showing in the CL as well.

Liverpool have had similar seasons in times past, never given me as much excitement as this season.

Did Arsenal really challenge for the title that long? Seemed to be more worried about Everton for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Bendtner has left.

I don't think so. We still have better players all around the pitch (except up front, where both Pool and Utd have much better options) than everyone bar City and Chelsea.

If you're basing the "weak link" idea on the fact that we haven't signed anyone, while we're still in June, all the best players are at the World Cup, as is our manager, and nobody has really made any major signings bar Chelsea signing Fabregas (calling teenage full backs, decent attacking options like Lallana, and unheard of Spanish/German midfielders "major signings" is a bit of a stretch) I think that's more than a little premature.

I'm basing the weak link idea on the fact arsenal don't score enough goals . Goals win you games and arsenal need to sign players who can add goals to a very good team .
    Giroud isn't a good enough striker for arsenal . They really need to go out and sign a top quality striker . One who can get 30 goals a season .
    So yes I do see the attack of arsenal being the weak link of the team .

Tbh the only reason the FA Cup was so important to Arsenal was because of opposition fans slagging for so bloody long. Its still the FA Cup, nice to look back on but thats about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement