Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

K-9 wrote: »
    Did Arsenal really challenge for the title that long? Seemed to be more worried about Everton for a good while.

We were top for most of the season and right in it until ye thumped us at Anfield. We were very briefly favourites around Christmas (before we drew with Everton).

We finished 5 points off Liverpool (7 off the top), and Liverpool won 14 of their last 16 games (I think), so we must've been fairly close for a long while.

Searched it. We were level with Liverpool, same games played, 4 off Chelsea with a game in hand on the 21st of March with 29 games played. Fell off pretty sharply after that. Finished the same distance (7 points) from both Everton in 5th and City in first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What have Spurs done that you're still bitter about?

Just...being... Spursy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm basing the weak link idea on the fact arsenal don't score enough goals . Goals win you games and arsenal need to sign players who can add goals to a very good team .
    Giroud isn't a good enough striker for arsenal . They really need to go out and sign a top quality striker . One who can get 30 goals a season .
    So yes I do see the attack of arsenal being the weak link of the team .

Fair enough. Given that we haven't signed anyone yet and we'll definitely sign somebody before August, I would expect that an attempt will be made to fix that. It's not like Arsene isn't aware, after all. He spent all last summer chasing Higuaín and Suarez for that exact reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good to see this thread showing it's class again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Grayditch wrote: »
    Just...being... Spursy.

I still haven;t forgiven them for the whole lineker-gascoigne-mabbutt-venables era when ever annoying ****wit with a seemed to wind up there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

We were top for most of the season and right in it until ye thumped us at Anfield. We were very briefly favourites around Christmas (before we drew with Everton).

We finished 5 points off Liverpool (7 off the top), and Liverpool won 14 of their last 16 games (I think), so we must've been fairly close for a long while.

Searched it. We were level with Liverpool, same games played, 4 off Chelsea with a game in hand on the 21st of March with 29 games played. Fell off pretty sharply after that. Finished the same distance (7 points) from both Everton in 5th and City in first.

Are you not at all concerned about the losses of Sagna, one of the most solid right backs in the league for years now and Tommy V who while not being a starter for ye last season was still club captain I believe and ye're first line of cover after Mert and Kosh? Those two cannot play all season and if either get injured ye will suffer unless quality cover is attained, and no offence but Wenger has been quite poor at signing centre backs his whole Arsenal career when compared to any other position on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

When is the draw for the champions league groups?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Good to see this thread showing it's class again :rolleyes:

Worst thread in the world tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Augmerson wrote: »
    Worst thread in the world tbh

I am worried saying 'what do you expect from the worst fans in the world' will be carded. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

When is the draw for the champions league groups?

28th August :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

At the risk of sounding like an absolute eejit, a risk I take everytime I open my mouth to be honest, if we miss out on Sanchez and Suarez does leave, should Sterling be asked to play in a similar role that Sanchez would have done?

I see some similarities between the two. Sterling needs to add goals but if he is given the freedom of plaing up front, perhaps he can.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tbh the only reason the FA Cup was so important to Arsenal was because of opposition fans slagging for so bloody long. Its still the FA Cup, nice to look back on but thats about it.

Maybe I'm in the minority about this, and while I fully realise the excitement of winning the FA Cup is not what it was 25 years ago or so, it's still a trophy I want Liverpool to win every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority about this, and while I fully realise the excitement of winning the FA Cup is not what it was 25 years ago or so, it's still a trophy I want Liverpool to win every season.

Ah yeah, but would I take it over 3rd and guaranteed CL group football or it and 4th and maybe a tough draw? Nope.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Fescue wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like an absolute eejit, a risk I take everytime I open my mouth to be honest, if we miss out on Sanchez and Suarez does leave, should Sterling be asked to play in a similar role that Sanchez would have done?

I see some similarities between the two. Sterling needs to add goals but if he is given the freedom of plaing up front, perhaps he can.

No - pace is nullified once a defender sits back, best out on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Who should we sign if Suarez goes & Sanchez doesn't join?
    I can't think of too many maybe Jackson Martinez

bitemeluis wrote: »
    No - pace is nullified once a defender sits back, best out on the wing

His best performances for Liverpool have come when he has played in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The problem we all have trying to guess who we could should sign is Brendan Rodgers probably doesn't want to sign them.

Sakho probabaly is the only big name he has signed so far. Nuri Sahin I guess could be called another.

All others he has signed wouldn't really have been called big name signings.

In the hole behind the striker there is still room to use his pace - not up front. The majority of quality EPL strikers werent blessed with pace, just quick off the mark - Shearer, Rush, VP, Rooney, maybe Defoe and Owen being exceptions - but even Suarez isnt that fast - just an excellent reader of the game

bitemeluis wrote: »
    In the hole behind the striker there is still room to use his pace - not up front. The majority of quality EPL strikers werent blessed with pace, just quick off the mark - Shearer, Rush, VP, Rooney, maybe Defoe and Owen being exceptions - but even Suarez isnt that fast - just an excellent reader of the game

I was suggesting he plays as a second striker in the same way Sanchez does for Chile. Given freedom to move around, find space and take players on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

The problem we all have trying to guess who we could should sign is Brendan Rodgers probably doesn't want to sign them.

Sakho probabaly is the only big name he has signed so far. Nuri Sahin I guess could be called another.

All others he has signed wouldn't really have been called big name signings.

That's as much to do with FSG's transfer policy than it is with Rodgers.

MacBizzle wrote: »
    That's as much to do with FSG's transfer policy than it is with Rodgers.

I wouldn't be 100% sure about that either.

It may play a part in it. I'm just not sure Brendan is the greatest judge of a player.

He can do a great job at coaching a player to be better.

18 players brought in by Brendan Rodgers as manager how many of them would be first team starters tomorrow. NOT many really.

I know some people suggest Xavi Torres is reliable on Barca.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/luis-suarez-barca-van-mano-3338862

According to this the transfer to Barca of Suarez is a matter of time.

I was suggesting he plays as a second striker in the same way Sanchez does for Chile. Given freedom to move around, find space and take players on.

I know what you mean but I just dont think he's cut out for it - dont think he has a strikers nose for goal, maybe that will change but I still think he's weak when shooting, same for Coutinho

According to Xavi Torres its €30 million plus Alexis Sancez plus €6/7 million in variables. Which would mean the overall value being around €70 million perhaps. Surely Sanchez value exceeds €30 million?

€70 million = £56 million I can't see that happening that about £30 million short.

• Advertisement

€70 million = £56 million I can't see that happening that about £30 million short.

There is absolutely no chance of anyone paying that for Suarez in light of recent events.

There is absolutely no chance of anyone paying that for Suarez in light of recent events.

Billionaires like John W don't become billionaires by letting there prize assets go for two thirds there market value either.

Billionaires like John W don't become billionaires by letting there prize assets go for two thirds there market value either.

I think the problem is Suarez has last some of his market value after this world cup.

Get Real Madrid interested and price could well exceed 100m euro - it could be a case of whoever buys Suarez wins the league next season

I think the problem is Suarez has last some of his market value after this world cup.

Why?

A club or clubs seem to want him they just want him on the cheap.

We hold his contract and if they want him they need to meet our value of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

His value has been hit though, no-one can deny that surely? I'd say Barca feel they no longer have to throw Sanchez into the deal and £50-60m alone will be enough, and I don't think they'd be far off thinking that. No chance of his value being £80m now.

His value has been hit though, no-one can deny that surely? I'd say Barca feel they no longer have to throw Sanchez into the deal and £50-60m alone will be enough, and I don't think they'd be far off thinking that. No chance of his value being £80m now.

Well then we hold on to him till his value rises again which it will once he starts scoring goals again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only an initial offer though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The club would be mental to let him go for that and the fans would rightly go mental. If they aren't going to get 70-80 million pound sterling or cash plus Sanchez then there's no point. Might as well hang on to Suarez.

Only an initial offer though.

Yeah, I'm sure it will increase after negotiation.

I have no doubt that the club are willing to sell Suarez though. I'd say both parties have an understanding he will leave this summer.

It might explain his form and general good behaviour for the club last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Well then we hold on to him till his value rises again which it will once he starts scoring goals again.

There's a trust problem now for me, if he does it again or something equally mental then you're possibly looking at a season ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah, I'm sure it will increase after negotiation.

I have no doubt that the club are willing to sell Suarez though. I'd say both parties have an understanding he will leave this summer.

It might explain his form and general good behaviour for the club last season.

Nah I doubt this is the case. If so how could Suarez bite someone at the world cup and put this proposed move into jeopardy, unless of course barca are still willing to pay the same amount as before the bite incident. No way that henry and co would have agreed to a transfer in theory at a certain price and then would be happy to just make the same sale for 20mill less or whatever because of something the player brought upon himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Exactly, you never sell an asset when it's market value is at it's lowest. Come January Real Madrid will be in a dogfight for the league and they would see buying Suarez then as the lynchpin that will take it. By then he'll be back scoring goals and the biting will be more forgotten. Good news will replace bad and his value will rise to it's natural value again, £70m-£75m IMO.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Exactly, you never sell an asset when it's market value is at it's lowest. Come January Real Madrid will be in a dogfight for the league and they would see buying Suarez then as the lynchpin that will take it. By then he'll be back scoring goals and the biting will be more forgotten. Good news will replace bad and his value will rise to it's natural value again, £70m-£75m IMO.

Sanchez will be well gone by then. Who can we sign in January to replace him. It might be the best time to sell now as long as we can get Sanchez in at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Real Madrid are in negotiations for Falcao. They're not in for Suarez and won't be either. This is something that could seriously affect the price tag of Suarez; the lack of potential buyers.
    PSG have Cavani and Ibra.
    Real could have Falcao, Benzima, Ronaldo, Bale DiMaria,
    Chelsea will have their one striker in Costa,
    Monaco is graveyard for top players.
    City and United could afford him, but no way that's happening.
    Bayern wouldn't touch him.
    It only leaves Barca.

Sanchez plus 30m would be a decent deal considering Suarez is only now one crazy instant away from wrecking his career entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The problem with Suarez is not necessarily that his value has gone down, but the risk factor has gone up. The next bite would be a 12 month ban presumably, although if it was the Spanish FA giving it who knows what they'd do.

I expect we'll see something from the club once the result of the appeal is known. If there is still a deathly silence from LFC then, I expect negotiations are well underway to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Christ, that was some Arsenal invasion there for a while. Less of that nonsense lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Is there any chance we can just keep Suarez and sign Sanchez aswell and then be unreal and win shlt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

delaney001 wrote: »
    Is there any chance we can just keep Suarez and sign Sanchez aswell and then be unreal and win shlt

I'd love it if this was literally what Rodgers asked John Henry in an email.

5starpool wrote: »
    The problem with Suarez is not necessarily that his value has gone down, but the risk factor has gone up. The next bite would be a 12 month ban presumably, although if it was the Spanish FA giving it who knows what they'd do.

I expect we'll see something from the club once the result of the appeal is known. If there is still a deathly silence from LFC then, I expect negotiations are well underway to sell him.

Bizzare having to say that for a footballer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sell our star play half way through the season? Terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Real Madrid are in negotiations for Falcao. They're not in for Suarez and won't be either. This is something that could seriously affect the price tag of Suarez; the lack of potential buyers.
    It only leaves Barca.

Sanchez plus 30m would be a decent deal considering Suarez is only now one crazy instant away from wrecking his career entirely.
    Listen I don't think FSG read boards so ya can stop trying to devalue Suarez at every opportunity!

There's a trust problem now for me, if he does it again or something equally mental then you're possibly looking at a season ban.

So we let him go for half his value.

I would rather a take chance he didn't do it again than lose him for £50 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

It only leaves Barca.

There's always room for an extra 30 goals a season striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Whats that in old money?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement