Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

DrumSteve wrote: »
    And even then if Sanchez is told he "gently" should go to us, we could potentially have a very valuable player who doesnt want to be with us.

**** that.

The word 'gently' is in the wrong place. Thought you ought to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

NukaCola wrote: »
    Our attacking 3/4 players deserve a lot of praise collectively for the season just gone. Suarez was the spearhead but in no way should get all the praise.

I never said he should get all the praise though. I think he was our most important player and Id imagine almost everybody would agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

NukaCola wrote: »
    I never said he could be replaced. Personally i would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Dont mention the teeth:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Suarez after the season he had was always going to be impossible to hold onto your naieve if you thought otherwise.

It's about getting the best fee possible now and an adequate replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He did go mad in the World Cup and get banned from looking at a football for a while, it's not mental to think he might not be going.

I'm resigned to the idea that he may leave, seeing as how I did all bulls1t this last year, so I'm numb to it now, but it's not out of the realms of possibility that he might be staying for 6 months, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The reliable and non-sensationalist Liverpool Echo reporting that Barcelona were behind Suarez's statement today.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Losing Suarez could make us drop down to 5/6th in table easily .
    He makes all the others step up a level, it's a disaster if he goes.
    He is that influential a player!
    Sounds like he is as good as gone unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Suarez leaving would be absolutely ****ing horrendous for the club

It'll be tough but not that bad , club will buy more and move on.

Happened before and will happen again.

Torres leaving has thought me not to be emotionally affected by footballers leaving anymore.

Also, it appears that Suarez is trying to engineer a move away for the 2nd season in a row now and I think we can do without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Our very own Ozil.

So bitter, so so bitter. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

bad2dabone wrote: »
    So bitter, so so bitter. :-)

Turdy drops the bait and bad2dabone has a nibble. Sure as night follows day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hoping Suarez leaves us with an open letter thanking the club and the fans for standing by him 100% in all of the situations he's been in. Don't think he'll ever get a better support than the fans at Anfield chanting his name...it'll be a tough one to get over........if he even leaves ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ha, I think I'll pass on any more Suarez literature, if the last two releases have been anything to go by. He'll end up asking for thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Torres in his prime was not as good any where near as good as Suarez & when we lost Torres a lot knew he was on the decline. Suarez would a huge loss & I can't think of any sort of decent replacement if we don't get Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Said it before, but losing Suarez would be akin to if Gerrard had left in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MD1990 wrote: »
    Torres in his prime was not as good any where near as good as Suarez & when we lost Torres a lot knew he was on the decline. Suarez would a huge loss & I can't think of any sort of decent replacement if we don't get Sanchez.

Dunno about that, his form dramatically improved as soon as Hodgson left - scored 4 under Dalglish in his month under him (5 really, but one was incorrectly ruled out against Fulham).

But totally agree that Suarez leaving would be much worse. He's 2 top class players in 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dunno about that, his form dramatically improved as soon as Hodgson left - scored 4 under Dalglish in his month under him (5 really, but one was incorrectly ruled out against Fulham).

But totally agree that Suarez leaving would be much worse. He's 2 top class players in 1.

That was just a blip, as evident by his form before and since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Hoping Suarez leaves us with an open letter thanking the club and the fans for standing by him 100% in all of the situations he's been in. Don't think he'll ever get a better support than the fans at Anfield chanting his name...it'll be a tough one to get over........if he even leaves ;)

He can shove his letter up his hole for all I care. It's cash we want if he goes, not a ****ing letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

~Rebel~ wrote: »

He broke his a**e in that month to get his move. No other explanation needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This Barcelona rumour isnt going away. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

People need to relax. All this "we're ****ed if he leaves" is way OTT. We'd be in a perilous situation but one that doesn't guarantee disaster, it all depends on the money involved and the players bought with it.

Of course, to bat off those of you prone to hysterics before I say this I have to put in this Disclaimer: I'm not saying these players were on the same level as Suarez.

But there was life after Michael Owen. There was life after Fernando Torres. And there will be life after Luis Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Knex. wrote: »

Not quite imo.

Gerrard was playing for his boyhood club and always seemed to be 100% Liverpool.

Think we always kind of knew Suarez would be off at some stage once Madrid or Barcelona came in.

In terms of quality alone, Suarez will be a bigger loss than Gerrard would have been back then. Suarez is one of the top 3 players in the world, Gerrard was never at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Elsewhere Sammy Lee has done the dirt on Hyppia and joined Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »

But we genuinely don't know how we would have done without Gerrard, who we might have spent the money on. Maybe we would have signed someone like Vidic, who we were rumoured to have looked at. Or Berbatov before he went to Spurs. Or re-signed Owen, and maybe gotten a few good years out of him?

Likewise, we don't know what will happen here. If we lose him, and we sign Sanchez and Shaqiri (Lallana is alerady done), we bring in a lot of goals and creativity. Maybe not relying so much on one player would be better...

djPSB wrote: »
    In terms of quality alone, Suarez will be a bigger loss than Gerrard would have been back then. Suarez is one of the top 3 players in the world, Gerrard was never at that level.

I have to disagree there. At that stage, Stevie was among the top 5/6 CMs in the worls. Very few players could patrol that area of ther pitch so effectively, he single-handedly won games from all kinds of bad scenarios, and scored a good number of goals.

But because CM is a more complex position that CF, people have differing opinions. But at the time he was lauded by many as possibly the best box to box CM out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Dickerty wrote: »
    But we genuinely don't know how we would have done without Gerrard, who we might have spent the money on. Maybe we would have signed someone like Vidic, who we were rumoured to have looked at. Or Berbatov before he went to Spurs. Or re-signed Owen, and maybe gotten a few good years out of him?

Likewise, we don't know what will happen here. If we lose him, and we sign Sanchez and Shaqiri (Lallana is alerady done), we bring in a lot of goals and creativity. Maybe not relying so much on one player would be better...
    if ye get those two players not too bad, but when we sold ronaldo it became obvious replacing what he does on the pitch damn near impossible. suarez has the panic factor for defenders nobody looks comfy marking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Is CM more complex, you have to have immense football intelligence to be a CF imo, more than any other area on the pitch, you always have your back to the play and have to make the right runs all the time dealing with being man marked in Suarez case. Awesome player, best I've seen in a red shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

If Suarez goes and Liverpool bring in Sanchez, Markovic, Shaqiri or whoever then I'd be happy enough that they have improved the squad and options whilst losing a top quality player. I'd like to see another CM come in, Bender was linked yesterday and I think he good be a good addition.

But the defence needs to be improved for me so I'd like to see some activity happening on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Jako8 wrote: »
    Here's a quote of a quote to give us some Sanchez hope and Suarez woe:

Sauce

Here is the audio clip

Hunter: 'Suarez wants a move to Barcelona'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The important thing here is that Sanchez comes in, or another player with S.... It is imperative that we keep the S.A.S tag line moving forward... Seriously tho, Sanchez and cash would be a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

slingerz wrote: »
    If Suarez goes and Liverpool bring in Sanchez, Markovic, Shaqiri or whoever then I'd be happy enough that they have improved the squad and options whilst losing a top quality player. I'd like to see another CM come in, Bender was linked yesterday and I think he good be a good addition.

But the defence needs to be improved for me so I'd like to see some activity happening on that front.

If Suarez goes then we need to bring in someone with a consistent goal threat. If not, we'll have regressed, no matter who else we sign. Sanchez may be that person, the others above are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

p179676333-4.jpg

Vanolder wrote: »
    The important thing here is that Sanchez comes in, or another player with S.... It is imperative that we keep the S.A.S tag line moving forward... Seriously tho, Sanchez and cash would be a no brainer.

I am a lot more cautious about Sanchez really. He has had a good world cup but he didnt set La Liga alight for Barca. You may argue that was because he was playing second fiddle to Messi but he should still shine if he has the quality. Sturridge is likely to become the main man at Liverpool next season too. Sanchez has had a good world cup but I'd temper the expectations of him a little.

If Liverpool add Lallana, Sanchez, Shaqiri and Markovic to Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Lambert and Borini then they should be decent options for the attacking triumvirate even allowing for Lallana/Coutinho to be played as midfielders.

With the Suarez cash I would like to see another dynamic CM added to replace Lucas and then ensure that the Moreno deal gets wrapped up as well a centre half and possibly a replacement for Johnson as well

5starpool wrote: »
    If Suarez goes then we need to bring in someone with a consistent goal threat. If not, we'll have regressed, no matter who else we sign. Sanchez may be that person, the others above are not.

The likelihood is that we will regress regardless of who is brought in unless it is Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero or Zlatan.

But point should be to minimize the loss by improving the squad as a whole rather than an over reliance on one player. Sturrdige has had a good season last year as well so he should become the main focus of the Liverpool attack now and you would hope that Sterling continues to improve. If those other players are added then a strogn squad emerges to compete on all fronts IMO.

With Suarez we can challenge for the title.

Without him it's a top 4 challenge.

That's my simplistic view of it anyway.

Unless of course it's a swap deal with Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we sold Suarez and got Sanchez as part of the deal I would love us to try and test Dortmund's resolve for Reus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rarnes1 wrote: »

This is the way I'd see it too.

I'd actually have us as a decent enough outside bet for the title with Suarez.
    I'd have us as slight outsiders for the top 4 without Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I do hope we keep him, would be amazing to see him lift the title with Liverpool :)

We should go all out to sign Sanchez while keeping Suarez.

Then we would have a great chance of really competing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We should go all out to sign Sanchez while keeping Suarez.

Then we would have a great chance of really competing again

Yep, this summer has to be about improving the team and squad on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is it okay to say he is most likely gone now? It was likely since last September but anyone mentioning it was shot down by one or two posters.

• Advertisement

The last time we came 2nd we had a bad window. Obviously the club was in a different place with the jokers running the club but still, that summer the wrong signings were made.

Let that be a lesson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The last time we came 2nd we had a bad window. Obviously the club was in a different place with the jokers running the club but still, that summer the wrong signings were made.

Let that be a lesson

Hard to do much worse than last summer. Not one of the signings made a really important impression

Vicxas wrote: »
    I do hope we keep him, would be amazing to see him lift the title with Liverpool :)

And then bites the trophy, the way Rafa Nadal bites the Wimbledon trophy when he wins it!

But we have no idea who we will sign, and how they will perform. And they will be playing from mid August, not end October! What if he was injured for a spell of the time he was available - is Sanchez for a full season not better than Suarez for half of one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Suarez leaves, i would love him to stay mind, I would like to see us get Sanchez as part of the deal and then go after Witzel and either Shaqari, Bender, Draxler or the the Colombian guy that plays for Forentina, he was mentioned here over the last few days.

I know a lot of the above would be very hard to sign but they would defiantly take the sting out of loosing Chewie Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

emmetkenny wrote: »
    the Colombian guy that plays for Forentina

If I remember correctly, Fiorentina recently bought out the 50% owned by Udinese(?) so he is all there's now. I know the Italian FA are trying to get rid of all the co-ownership deals but maybe he is there's for keeps now?

As for Suarez, I am still in between minds of selling/keeping. Players as good as him don't come around too often so you have to make the most of them when they do. I always said, when we bought him first, that if a Barca/Madrid/Bayern came in for him, that we would have to let him go as you don't say no to teams like them, especially the 2 Spanish teams.

I just can't imagine how we will replace him. How many times last year did he come up with a moment of magic to break the deadlock at home to a lower team and then we go on to win comfortably after his initial goal. That is the hardest bit to replace - his moments of magic from nothing.

I'd love to keep him but at the same time, are his other actions worth all the hassle?

People need to be realistic about Suarez. Its clear as day that he wants out and is going to have offers for him from Barca/Madrid. I'm pretty sure that BR has contingency plans ready and is in all probability operating on the assumption that Suarez will leave.

Signings of Sanchez, Shaqiri whoever will be made in order to mitigate the loss but fans would want to wise up to the fact that its more than likely going to happen and Suarez has been angling for this move all summer. His actions are not taking into account the support he received over his numerous incidents while at Anfield and fans can feel rightly miffed at him angling to get his move for as low a fee as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

slingerz wrote: »
    The likelihood is that we will regress regardless of who is brought in unless it is Messi, Ronaldo, Aguero or Zlatan.

But point should be to minimize the loss by improving the squad as a whole rather than an over reliance on one player. Sturrdige has had a good season last year as well so he should become the main focus of the Liverpool attack now and you would hope that Sterling continues to improve. If those other players are added then a strogn squad emerges to compete on all fronts IMO.

My worry is that with Sturridge being the main man then all the greedy shoot on site tendencies will come back into his play. It happened a few times last season and on one occasion Rodgers hauled him off. Just looking at the last England game he seemed to be playing for himself unlike Suarez who generally always played in a teammate if they where in a better position. Suarez sort of kept him in check and if he does go i believe you need a new number 1 striker and not rely on Sturridge to be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd see it fairly similar. I think we all rue not winning the Premier League last season and now that Suarez seems to want out that ambition appears much further away than it does with still having him in the team. Even from a Champions League perspective Liverpool are defintely not front runners but if we can get out of our group and we had Suarez playing up front for the knockout stages who knows what could happen, we might not win it but with him spearheading the challenge and the glory European nights back at Anfield we just might have had an outside chance.

Without Suarez next season could be full of big What ifs. I'm kinda resigned to losing him now as I believe he himself wants out. Part of me is angry at him for not showing loyalty when the club have backed him to the hilt but there is no loyalty in football these days. In saying that I'd love if he just did one more season, this upcoming season is one of the most crucial we've had in 25+ years, it's do or die stuff for LFC to maintain Champions League football with a top 4 finish. If we don't achieve that the club will have regressed and come May 2015 everyone will agree that the departure of Suarez was a large factor in not achieving top 4. So from that perspective alone I really hope Brendan Rodgers and John. Henry are working furiously behind the scenes to hang on to him. They might be annoyed with his recent behaviour but they're not stupid- holding on to Suarez for one more season would give the club a huge leg up in terms of staying in the Champions League. And if part of that scenario playing out means that Man U or Arsenal miss out on Europe then all the better, because they are hoping that it will happen to us this season. No way do ManU or Arsenal want to see us become a permanent top 4 team because one of them would have to be the fall guy. Having Suarez is the difference of being almost certain we wouldn't be the fall guy finishing 5th.

Hanging onto him for one more season is no doubt a huge risk if he were to bite someone again. But I'm confident the club could work with him to ensure there isn't a repeat performance. For me it's a simple pay off- keep him for one more season and be almost guaranteed Champions League football for the following one, in doing so you run the risk of him biting someone else and getting a 6 month to a year ban. I'd take that risk if Suarez was willing to commit to one more season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Hi, another lurker here. Came on board around the Jan transfer window as I found it a good place to keep up with all the tittle tattle. Was here for the low of the Konoplyanka mess and the highs of hammering Arsenal/Everton/Spurs/United. What a season.

Given the relaxing of posting rules for the World Cup I thought i'd offer an opinion on the Suarez saga. A lot of posters seem to be terrified of him leaving, with comments like 'he's irreplaceable', and 'we'd be lost without him'. Fact is, his ban means we're without him for over a quarter of the season already. This is the third time he has received a lengthy ban and this has to be a factor in whether you keep a player or move him on.

He's not replaceable, we all know that, but neither is he bigger than the club. Liverpool have a proud tradition on and off the pitch and continually pandering to Suarez is not in keeping with this. Liverpool need to be realistic and understand that they are a second tier team in European terms. They do not have the allure of the Barcas or Reals, or the money of Man City and PSG. It is inevitable that Suarez will leave for one of these clubs. Suarez is a top tier player, just a rung below Messi and Ronadlo, he's destined to be at a top tier club. Liverpool's job is to maximise their profit on him and spend the cash wisely.

For what it's worth, I reckon the club would have sold him this summer even if the bite hadn't happened. Soccer is a business. Rodgers and FSG would have known that Suarez would leave eventually. As such, as with all businesses, you sell at the top of the market and Suarez is in his prime. The bite has just forced the issue now.

That cold, hard business logic coupled with the reputation of the club - and the ideal that no one player is bigger than the club - means that now is the right time to sell.

Oh...and panda...saps...net spend...OUR YEAR.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement