Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Welcome Adam! The worst fans in the world welcome you...

Woah woah woah, we have the worst fans in the whole world. We have nuriii sahin, turtyturd, knex and gafferino oooah ooooo

Ahem...I do believe I was in this chant originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Read some thought of analytical football brain Ted Knutson onLFC for next season.
    https://twitter.com/mixedknuts

He reckon LFC will have to go 3-5-2 to accomodate Gerrard, Lallana etc.
    He's also pointed out that Henderson was bought because of the high percentage of turnovers he makes in the opposition's half. Lallana had similar stats last season.
    He reckons with Gerrard playing the Pirlo role, he needs protection from players than can get the ball back after losing possession in the oppositions half.

So it would appear than LFC will evolve further on the high pressing game a la last season.
    So, I see the 5-2 being, Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard, Lallana & Coutinho with Sturridge & Lambert/Borini (we can only presume Suarez is gone following his 'apology' last night.

Everything looks fine, although I'm not a huge fan of Lambert or Borini, I think Sanchez if he comes in the swap deal would be a step up on them.

However, is Rodgers actually going to do anything about the back?
    Sakho has had a good WC, Skrtl can play in a 3 CB, as can Agger, but still, it's unsettling to think of those slow 3 at the back and a slow Gerrard 'protecting' them.

Who would you bring in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Woah woah woah, we have the worst fans in the whole world. We have nuriii sahin, turtyturd, knex and gafferino oooah ooooo
    Fúcking plagiarizing bastard...

Might have to add you to the song now...

We really are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Move out of the way, Grandpa, Knex is stepping up to the plate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Look I like your hussle buddy, that's why it was so hard to cut you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Welcome to the club Lama
    llama10.jpg

Are llama's the new panda's?

Also, that Rakitic quote is just plain lolz.
    To have the character and strength to apologise in front of the world shows what a noble person he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Scary flashback there for a minute! :mad:
    charlieadam100.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Very underwhelming signing.

Its like we never signed Downing, Carroll and Adam.

Look I like your hussle buddy, that's why it was so hard to cut you.

I'm not your buddy,pal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Very original with their paper name, I'll give them that

They hired the same marketing team who helped out this chain of restaurants delis in the UK

eat-flickr-ewan-large-370x229.jpg?1322056609

2nd verse

Super-Rush wrote: »

I'm not sure how signing someone renowned for his versatility is the same as signing those one dimensional players you've named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Why does anyone care how much wages he's on?

Spoken like a man who is clearly on the big money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lallana was a nominee for PFA Player of the Year. I think its too much money but a good signing. He is no Downing etc imo. He probably covers more distance in a game than Adam & Carroll combined too.

2nd verse

Start singing that song anywhere in public, and you're not getting to a 2nd verse :P

Dickerty wrote: »

Its all the royalties from having his name in songs, I bet.

I'm not your buddy,pal. :)

I'm not your pal, guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the only way this is in any way comparable is that Lallana is British and it's expensive.

Lallana will be a lot better that any of those signings, I can guarantee it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Sanchez, Shaqiri, a decent LB and a quality CB then I'll be happy with Suarez leaving. Irreplaceable talent that I'll forever respect.

Vermaelen also looks interesting, seems to be on his way out of Arsenal. Proven in the PL...any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You get what you pay for - the few million extra is probably to ensure that he doesn't wear high vis tops on a night out like wor Andy.

Dickerty wrote: »

Congratulations, you are now my agent. Will you have a word with my boss please?

Congratulations, you are now my agent. Will you have a word with my boss please?

If I ever had to get someone from here to speak to my boss, that man would be Grayditch.

"Howya, Gerry?"

Obviously this would be after I handed in my notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lallana was a nominee for PFA Player of the Year. I think its too much money but a good signing.

Wasn't Charlie Adam a PFA Player of the Year nominee too? And for a fraction of the cost of Lallana.

Don't get me wrong, Lallana was excellent last year from what I saw, and could be an excellent player for us. But it's a mad amount of money to spend on what imo is not a sure thing.

(He is costing more than what we spent on Suarez and Torres. A comparable amount to what Fabregas went for a couple of weeks ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Its easy to forget he's not 18-19.

He just looks so gosh-darn young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Vermaelen also looks interesting, seems to be on his way out of Arsenal. Proven in the PL...any takers?

Oh his way to Man Utd if the rumors are true.

Consider it done.

20%, yeh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Knex. wrote: »
    If I ever had to get someone from here to speak to my boss, that man would be Greyditch.

"Howya, Gerry?"

Obviously this would be after I handed in my notice.

Clear yer desk and hold the lift open, he's not going to like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wasn't Charlie Adam a PFA Player of the Year nominee too? And for a fraction of the cost of Lallana.

My God you're right :eek:

I had completely forgotten about that

(He is costing more than what we spent on Suarez and Torres. A comparable amount to what Fabregas went for a couple of weeks ago)

Fabregras is also on €250,000+ a month so that comparison is a little unfair, but yeah, he costs more than Suarez and Torres. Lets hope he rises in value like those two have.

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    Oh his way to Man Utd if the rumors are true.

He would be a good signing, but I'll stick with Hummels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Rodgers doesn't strike me as a mug. Yes he's overpaid but only because he thinks what Lallana will give to the team is worth the premium.

SlickRic wrote: »
    the only way this is in any way comparable is that Lallana is British and it's expensive.

Lallana will be a lot better that any of those signings, I can guarantee it.

See this is absolute horse**** and the kind of hyperbole that has become so popular around these parts.

Signed at 26
    Signed from a smaller team
    Talisman and captain of that team
    Shortlisted for player of the year

True of both Charlie Adam & Adam Lallana.
    Adam cost £6m quid or whatever, Lallana has been signed for £25m.

I hope Lallana is way better than Adam was for us, but it's not a sure thing & considering the monies involved, it's not near as much of a sure thing as one would hope it would be.

Our business this summer to date, has been poor & we need up our game significantly.

Fabregras is also on £250,000+ a month so that comparison is a little unfair, but yeah, he costs more than Suarez and Torres. Lets hope he rises in value like those two have.

I don't care what his value does, he's one for now, so I only care if he improves the side. He's talented, hard working, flexible and creative - I don't think he'll let us down. Fabregas is not exactly twice the player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Fabregras is also on £250,000+ a month so that comparison is a little unfair, but yeah, he costs more than Suarez and Torres. Lets hope he rises in value like those two have.

Link for Fabregas wages?

I've seen it guesstimated widely at £200,000. Still ridiculous money for any footballer but not the numbers you have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don't get me wrong, Lallana was excellent last year from what I saw, and could be an excellent player for us. But it's a mad amount of money to spend on what imo is not a sure thing.

Fabregas is on the decline imo. He started playing very young at 16 & its catching up with him. He finished each season with Barca in terrible form. Lallana has improved rapidly the last 2 years & is also a leader which is important.

Signed at 26
    Signed from a smaller team
    Talisman and captain of that team
    Shortlisted for player of the year

None of those things has ANYTHING to do with their qualities as a footballer!

You might as well compare eye colour, height and what level their pokemon are at...

SlickRic wrote: »
    Lallana has improved rapidly the last 2 years & is also a leader which is important.

Remember people saying the same about Charlie Adam......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Overpaid massively but so long as it doesn't result in losing out on someone else over £1-2 million I'm not too bothered.

Happy to get him in the squad and hopefully he keeps up his form. Think the comparisons to Adamso and Downing are unfair, Lallana has a hell of a lot more to him than either of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Have come up with a solid rule to guide us away from dodgy dealings...

1. Aspas
    2. Alberto
    3. Assaido
    4. Andy Carroll
    5. Aquilani

Careful with the A's!!

• Advertisement

Link for Fabregas wages?

I've seen it guesstimated widely at £200,000. Still ridiculous money for any footballer but not the numbers you have suggested.

Yeah I meant euros, corrected my post. As you have said though, the wages of players are only guesstimates. Overall though, his wage inflates his price compared to Lallan's, which was my original point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some thoughts:

- Barcelona can pay through the nose, club should hold firm, etc;
    - Unless the new contract has this one sorted and it's X to Barca / Real / Bayern / etc where 'X' is ~£60m;
    - Either way, irrespective of how handsomely the club is compensated it will be a crippling loss from a competitive perspective. I'm sure some people will wheel out stats about when he scores goals or whatever but it misses what makes him so special - when he's on the pitch you have a one man threat / outlet operating on a level a couple of players in the world can currently touch;
    - We won't be able to replace him because, as Spurs found out last year, certain players aren't replaceable no matter how many ~£20m football hipster approved signings you can throw at the problem;

================

- Lallana is a rubbish piece of business. I hope you all get to quote this post and stuff it down my throat later of course though but I won't be holding my breath;
    - Leaving aside how overpriced he is for what he is, it's just an underwhelming direction to take with CL football on board;
    - Taken as a whole, our business thus far is underwhelming. Difference makers, that's what I want and what I think is needed;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some thoughts:

- Barcelona can pay through the nose, club should hold firm, etc;
    - Unless the new contract has this one sorted and it's X to Barca / Real / Bayern / etc where 'X' is ~£60m;
    - Either way, irrespective of how handsomely the club is compensated it will be a crippling loss from a competitive perspective. I'm sure some people will wheel out stats about when he scores goals or whatever but it misses what makes him so special - when he's on the pitch you have a one man threat / outlet operating on a level a couple of players in the world can currently touch;
    - We won't be able to replace him because, as Spurs found out last year, certain players aren't replaceable no matter how many ~£20m football hipster approved signings you can throw at the problem;

================

- Lallana is a rubbish piece of business. I hope you all get to quote this post and stuff it down my throat later of course though but I won't be holding my breath;
    - Leaving aside how overpriced he is for what he is, it's just an underwhelming direction to take with CL football on board;
    - Taken as a whole, our business thus far is underwhelming. Difference makers, that's what I want and what I think is needed;

As per the last point, I don't think we'll see much movement for big names until the Suarez situation is resolved.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    As per the last point, I don't think we'll see much movement for big names until the Suarez situation is resolved.

Shouldn't be the case though.

What was the plan pre bite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    - Taken as a whole, our business thus far is underwhelming.

Have to say, I pretty much agree with this.

Hope my negativity is proved wrong.

DrumSteve wrote: »

If that's the case it's baaaaad sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If we lose Suarez we are completely and utterly fooked! Totally bollixed and we all know it deep down! :(

No amount of money can replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I am pie wrote: »

1. Aspas
    2. Alberto
    3. Assaido
    4. Andy Carroll
    5. Aquilani

Careful with the A's!!

And somehow missed Adam, Charlie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I am pie wrote: »

1. Aspas
    2. Alberto
    3. Assaido
    4. Andy Carroll
    5. Aquilani

Careful with the A's!!

Needs just one word to rebut this.

Alonso.

• Advertisement

I think lalanna will surprise a lot of people. He's got a great engine and is a completely different kind of footballer to Charlie Adam. It'd be like saying don't sign Verrati or marchisio because aquaman didn't work out.

We'd all love us to be bringing in a bunch of top class players but I just don't think that as a club we currently have that drawing power. If Rodgers feels he needs a bunch of players to bring up the level of squad depth which was out Achilles heel last year then I think that people hoping for multiple big name signings will be disappointed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement