Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yeah but my comment was a response to you saying arsenal blew their money on Ozil. I didn't say matched that by signing lallana.

Cheers for pointing out who we got tho. I was confused alright.

I could tell you were... No worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yeah apparently he ran the 5th most in the PL. Henderson was 4th.

In relation to that, how many games did the others around him run in the most distance covered league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

beakerjoe wrote: »
    In relation to that, how many games did the others around him run in the most distance covered league?

Between 30 and 33 games in the top 10 with them 4th and 5th.
    Within the top five in the distance-covered table are two midfielders surely headed for Brazil – Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson and Southampton’s Adam Lallana. Both have run just shy of 360km this campaign - that is eight-and-a-half marathons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some thoughts:

- Barcelona can pay through the nose, club should hold firm, etc;
    - Unless the new contract has this one sorted and it's X to Barca / Real / Bayern / etc where 'X' is ~£60m;
    - Either way, irrespective of how handsomely the club is compensated it will be a crippling loss from a competitive perspective. I'm sure some people will wheel out stats about when he scores goals or whatever but it misses what makes him so special - when he's on the pitch you have a one man threat / outlet operating on a level a couple of players in the world can currently touch;
    - We won't be able to replace him because, as Spurs found out last year, certain players aren't replaceable no matter how many ~£20m football hipster approved signings you can throw at the problem;

================

- Lallana is a rubbish piece of business. I hope you all get to quote this post and stuff it down my throat later of course though but I won't be holding my breath;
    - Leaving aside how overpriced he is for what he is, it's just an underwhelming direction to take with CL football on board;
    - Taken as a whole, our business thus far is underwhelming. Difference makers, that's what I want and what I think is needed;

Lallana is a rubbish piece of business? Jaysus, at least leave him kick a ball once for us before judging him.

Reminds me of a rush to judgement on our current manager not so long ago...

5live wrote: »
    Lallana is a rubbish piece of business? Jaysus, at least leave him kick a ball once for us before judging him.

Reminds me of a rush to judgement on our current manager not so long ago...

I think he can succeed. He did well at the saints and should have seen more game time at the WC. Think he will do well IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm not going to make a judgement on Lallana. This way, I'll never be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Grayditch wrote: »

Or you could make a huge statement to cause controversy and if you're wrong you can then apologise and get lauded for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sahin, even though it didn't turn out well. Everyone bar Knex was happy with Sturridge.

That's quite a few well received without even having to play the Victory card.

You bastard :pac:

I can't even remember how I felt about it, but I wasn't standing beside you holding your Fr Tedesque, "Fuck off Sturridge", sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'm quietly confident that lallana will win the b'allon dor. Don't want to set expectations too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Grayditch wrote: »

Saw Liam Brady do that the other day when asked "So who do you think's going to win the match, Liam?"
    TV Licence money well spent right there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Vanolder wrote: »
    Lallana was subbed off 22 times during the league last year--- I read somewhere... or at least imagined I did... that this was due to the amount of ground he covered and at the pace he covered it... Any truth to the second part? 25m is a lot for a player that rarely completes a game.

Gaston Ramirez.

Believe me, if we had a Gaston on our Bench last season, Cou and the others would get Subbed alot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Saw Liam Brady do that the other day when asked "So who do you think's going to win the match, Liam?"
    TV Licence money well spent right there

He probably had to clarify any choice with Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The way Real Madrid and Barcelona go about their transfers dealings they almost seem to think that you should be grateful that they want to sign one of your players.

Not sure that approach is going to wash with John Henry and FSG who are going to demand top dollar for him either way.

If Bale was worth 86 mil, you'd expect similar for Luis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Assuming Suarez leaves us, we need to learn from Spurs' example last year and go for a top quality replacement, not a collection of lesser players.

In the apocryphal Chinese fashion, we should also see this crisis as an opportunity. Last year, we were somewhat hamstrung trying to accommodate two out-and-out strikers in the one team: I think if Suarez leaves, we should take the opportunity to bring in more of a wide-man or attacking midfield threat, relying on Sturridge to continue to the business up front.

With that in mind, I'd like us to move for the likes of:

- Sanchez (should be a condition of any deal with Barca)
    - Di Maria (should be a condition of any deal with Madrid)
    - Reus
    - Pjanic

Haven't seen much of the following, but these are the caliber of names we should be looking at:
    - Pogba
    - Cuadrado
    - James Rodrigues
    - Griezmann
    - Isco

If we sell Suarez and end up spending the money on punts on prospects in the 10 - 20 million bracket, we'll be in serious trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Haven't seen much of the following, but these are the caliber of names we should be looking at:
    - Pogba
    - Cuadrado
    - James Rodrigues
    - Griezmann
    - Isco

If we sell Suarez and end up spending the money on punts on prospects in the 10 - 20 million bracket, we'll be in serious trouble.

If we were linked with any of those names, I'd cream my pants

Some of those names are very unrealistic tho. James Rodriguez is going nowhere bar maybe Madrid.

While I don't agree with Knex's opinions on Sturridge, I think him being our 'main man' next season will see a lot of World Cup -esque performances from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Gaston Ramirez.

Believe me, if we had a Gaston on our Bench last season, Cou and the others would get Subbed alot too.

This is a joke, right?

If Luis does go I think it's about time to give Pacheco and LDV a chance to make that step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Or you could make a huge statement to cause controversy and if you're wrong you can then apologise and get lauded for it.

Saying Lallana at twenty five ****ing million pounds sterling is rubbish business is hardly a huge controversial statement now is it?

Saying Lallana at twenty five ****ing million pounds sterling is rubbish business is hardly a huge controversial statement now is it?

It's a worthless statement without seeing the man play.

It's a worthless statement in that it suggests you have better judgement and information than those making decisions at Anfield.

In short, worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Assuming Suarez leaves us, we need to learn from Spurs' example last year and go for a top quality replacement, not a collection of lesser players.

In the apocryphal Chinese fashion, we should also see this crisis as an opportunity. Last year, we were somewhat hamstrung trying to accommodate two out-and-out strikers in the one team: I think if Suarez leaves, we should take the opportunity to bring in more of a wide-man or attacking midfield threat, relying on Sturridge to continue to the business up front.

With that in mind, I'd like us to move for the likes of:

- Sanchez (should be a condition of any deal with Barca)
    - Di Maria (should be a condition of any deal with Madrid)
    - Reus
    - Pjanic

- Pogba
    - Cuadrado
    - James Rodrigues
    - Griezmann
    - Isco

I think the only player on that list we would have a chance of would be Griezmann unfortunately. Sanchez a possibility but as you say probably only as part of a deal for Suarez.

But its not £25m is it?

It is some £16-17m plus add-ons.

Isnt it often said in here that the fee doesnt matter as long as he performs to a top level? That of course remains to be seen.

I am pie wrote: »
    This is a joke, right?

Joking about what?

If we had Gaston, he'd play ahead of Moses, Aspas and not DM Lucas as our 1st-Choice Sub.

Heck, he'd probably even Start a few Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He is your club's second most expensive signing. £10m to much but like Shaw it's the English tax. City, Chelsea and Arsenal don't seem to buy that many English players.

It's a worthless statement without seeing the man play.

It's a worthless statement in that it suggests you have better judgement and information than those making decisions at Anfield.

In short, worthless.

:confused: I have seen him play? Lots. I'd imagine most on here have.

Some people like to use this thread to spam transfer rumours. I like it to use to voice an opinion or prediction - i.e. my personal position or analysis on stuff that has happened or may happen involving the club.

That seems a reasonable use of a discussion forum. If you wish to sit on the fence and stay behind the action spamming transfer stories you are of course welcome to do so.

Thank jaysus for the world cup and a summer of actual top notch and unbelievably entertaining football though eh? :)

Some of those names are very unrealistic tho. James Rodriguez is going nowhere bar maybe Madrid.

He cost Monaco 45M even before he had a great World Cup. Completely out of our price range unless you wanted to blow all the Suarez money on one player. And even then you might not even get him.

gafferino wrote: »
    Isnt it often said in here that the fee doesnt matter as long as he performs to a top level? That of course remains to be seen.

It's all about likelihood of performing to a top level. Big step up for him - fingers and toes crossed obv.

• Advertisement

But its not £25m is it?

It is some £16-17m plus add-ons.

Apparently so. Probably add-ons for certain amount of league appearances, CL appearances, winning trophies, etc.

Joking about what?

If we had Gaston, he'd play ahead of Moses, Aspas and not DM Lucas as our 1st-Choice Sub.

Heck, he'd probably even Start a few Games.

Ramirez is a mid table player who will never play for a top 4 side in any serious league. He is a sub for Uruguay in a position where they are not spoiled for riches.

6 goals in 2 years.

3 assists in 2 years.

I wouldn't pick him for the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ah come on now... :P

He cost Monaco 45M even before he had a great World Cup. Completely out of our price range unless you wanted to blow all the Suarez money on one player. And even then you might not even get him.

And he'll be gone in a year or two to Madrid anyway. He's even said similar himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

The thing Im afraid of is that he might turn into Stewart Downing part II. I'll give him this, he seems a damn sight more talented but we have seen it happen with so many players over the years, especially young-ish Engerland 'stars' - they get a big media reputation then they trot out some average performances, lose their confidence and their shine wears off. Then they get sold to Villa/Spurs :p
    The one thing I do have confidence in though is Brendan Rodgers ability to coach this guy and get even more out of him than when he was at Southampton. I thought he was excellent last year, Im a big fan of the player and I want to see him do big things at liverpool. £25m? yeah, its a bit much but transfers nowadays often are

My opinion on the Lallana signing/fee is that I pretty much have none until I see what shape our squad is come August/September.

If we can still sign a Sanchez type player, and bolster other areas of the squad adequately, then all is fine with me. I am very happy to have him in the squad. I won't be if he's our *cringes a little* marquee signing.

Like most of these signings, time will tell.

:confused: I have seen him play? Lots. I'd imagine most on here have.

Some people like to use this thread to spam transfer rumours. I like it to use to voice an opinion or prediction - i.e. my personal position or analysis on stuff that has happened or may happen involving the club.

That seems a reasonable use of a discussion forum. If you wish to sit on the fence and stay behind the action spamming transfer stories you are of course welcome to do so.

Thank jaysus for the world cup and a summer of actual top notch and unbelievably entertaining football though eh? :)

Seen him play for Liverpool of course I meant.

It certainly is a reasonable use of a forum.

I am not sitting on the fence, which should of course be fairly evident by the fact that I am calling you out on the nonsense you have posted.

The rest, re: spamming and transfer stories? Glad you got it off your chest, no idea what it was supposed to mean.

Ramirez is a mid table player who will never play for a top 4 side in any serious league. He is a sub for Uruguay in a position where they are not spoiled for riches.

6 goals in 2 years.

3 assists in 2 years.

I wouldn't pick him for the reserves.

Huh?

I'm not exactly arguing whether he's Midtable Player or not. When it's a Moot Point already since he's playing for Southampton.

But it still doesn't change the Fact, that he's much better Option than Moses, Aspas and Lucas in our Bench.

And he actually got 6 Assists in 2 Injury-laden Seasons.

Knex. wrote: »
    My opinion on the Lallana signing/fee is that I pretty much have none until I see what shape our squad is come August/September.

Translates into F*ck off Lallana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ya'll should know by now that Lloyd hates fences...

It's all about likelihood of performing to a top level. Big step up for him - fingers and toes crossed obv.

Yes I agree. I certainly think 23m (rumoured) is a lot of money for him given his relative 'newness' to the scene but I thought he was fantastic for Southampton last season. I am more hopeful of him performing than I was of Adam, Downing or Henderson (although I am firmly in the Henderson camp now) and I think, in your words the likelihood of him performing is higher than the three I mentioned.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Translates into F*ck off Lallana.

How did I never notice his negativity before.... He's like a love child of Mr. Alan and PHB.

How did I never notice his negativity before.... He's like a love child of Mr. Alan and PHB.

Funnily enough, I was fuming when we passed on Benitez, and others, and were interviewing Martinez and Rodgers two years ago.

Was easily as pissed as Lloyd was on here at the time.

Been fairly alright with most things since then :P

Naw, he's just rarnes27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

In the apocryphal Chinese fashion, we should also see this crisis as an opportunity.

Chaos isn't a pit, Chaos is a ladder.

• Advertisement

Naw, he's just rarnes27

That's exactly what the real rarnes27 would say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I'm gonna strap my waders on for the notoriously difficult 'second post' in the soccer forum.

On Lallana, Liverpool have paid over the odds, not many are disputing that. I think it's important to look at the context within which he was bought, though. Up until this transfer window, FSG and the Liverpool board/transfer committee will have had a large say in transfers in and out. We have to suspect that some of these dealings did not have 100% support from Rodgers.

Now it's different. Rodgers excelled in the 2013-2014 season, met and exceeded his target and had his team in the title chase up until the last couple of weeks. He played very attractive football and the fans are now hailing him as a future champion.

What does all this have to do with Lallana? Well, it means Rodgers has much more clout when it comes to decisions. If he is adamant about getting a player then FSG will surely bend a bit in terms of outlay. For my money, given what he's achieved in such a short space of time, he can have anyone he asks for. He's earned it.

Jesus I just realized that if Suarez moves to barca we'll likely have andersonisgod posting in this thread... Anyone up for a sabbatical?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

BMMachine wrote: »
    The thing Im afraid of is that he might turn into Stewart Downing part II. I'll give him this, he seems a damn sight more talented but we have seen it happen with so many players over the years, especially young-ish Engerland 'stars'

I wouldnt put Downing and Lallana the same sentence tbh. Stewie D was a one trick pony, Lallana has many different qualities. I loved Stewies heart and really admire his persistence, but him and Lallana are in different leagues. I would even go so far as to say at the end of this season they probably will be in different leagues.

I dont care if we overpaid. I dont see the problem if we did tbh.

Jesus I just realized that if Suarez moves to barca we'll likely have andersonisgod posting in this thread... Anyone up for a sabbatical?!?

Yeah mike is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement