Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah its a half decent side and great team spirit.

Yedlin gets forward a lot but I did notice he failed to track back on Hazard but I suppose thats only to be expected with the amount of forward runs he makes.

I really like Bradley, nearly everything the US do looks to go through him.

Yeah, he kinda reminds me of Rakitic.

Oh he just got an Assist too. If I were a Low-to-Midtable EPL Club, I'd take a good long hard look at Bradley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If I were a Low-to-Midtable EPL Club, I'd take a good long hard look at Bradley.

2457791-0400837245-in2oC.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Even though they Lost, that was a real Gusty Performance by USA.

They really pushed a Star-laden Belgian Team, even with them 0-2 Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Commentator suggested Howard go up the pitch for the final free kick....

Rightly, Howard just took the free kick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Thought we retired the number 20 shirt after the tremendous servant (and talent) that was Aly Cissokho. Lallana has big boots to fill :)

BSICv5YCcAAsPZy.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

aramush wrote: »
    Thought we retired the number 20 shirt after the tremendous servant (and talent) that was Aly Cissokho. Lallana has big boots to fill :)

BSICv5YCcAAsPZy.jpg:large

Ah here...not even the club can spell Sakho right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He should have got Enrique's number...not like he'll need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Remember Freddy Adu? Poor sod.

Brfj0tcIYAA87dr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Who's in charge of the squad numbers and how the hell did Alberto, Aspas and Assaidi get 6, 9 and 11?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jako8 wrote: »

Brfj0tcIYAA87dr.jpg

Turned out to be... Much Adu about nothing in the end.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone else see the reports linking us with Ryan Bertrand again? ffs..if we sign him...

5starpool wrote: »
    Turned out to be...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Much Adu about nothing in the end.

YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jako8 wrote: »

Brfj0tcIYAA87dr.jpg

Ah stop, he'll come good eventually...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Excellent performance from Origi. Only one bad mistake was not anticipating the chance that rolled across the box in the second half. While he is still young and has a few rough edges, he really does has have a lot of the traits from the modern day striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Excellent performance from Origi. Only one bad mistake was not anticipating the chance that rolled across the box in the second half. While he is still young and has a few rough edges, he really does has have a lot of the traits from the modern day striker.

I can see why they would want to loan him back to Lille though. Needs to play. Don't think he was even a regular for Lille last season. Granted he was only 18 for most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

So 80 million pounds for Luis Suarez to Barcelona. Will be sad to see him go. If we can get Sanchez in with a chunk of cash that will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

£80m me bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We'll never know one way or the other but I reckon that after last summer when Suarez signed his deal, he was told he could go if Barcelona or Real came in for him this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

We'll never know one way or the other but I reckon that after last summer when Suarez signed his deal, he was told he could go if Barcelona or Real came in for him this year.

Yeah, I remember thinking that last year, kind of Ronaldo/Fergie deal. Stick around one more year, play your heart out and go wherever you want next year and let us both cash in.
    Thought it would have been Real though.

Bit defeatist perhaps but if it was good enough for the aforementioned probably good enough for us.
    It would be great if we could get Sanchez or otherwise attract other world class players all on our own but that time is not yet here.

Swap deals that i can think of that worked out successfully don't seem to be that common, in fact the only high profile one that i could think of, that did, was Ibra/Eto'o. at least for Inter and Eto'o, however short lived it may of been.
    Any one here think of others that have worked out well at any level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »
    Wasn't it the Ajax chairman who said "you can't replace Suarez" when asked how do you?

This is it. Whether it was last season, this or next, we'll have to do it at some stage. Saying we can't makes us a one man club.

It's also worth remembering that while he said that, Ajax went on to win the next 4 consecutive leagues without him, having not won for the 7 previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's also worth remembering that while he said that, Ajax went on to win the next 4 consecutive leagues without him, having not won for the 7 previous years.

probably on the back of the money we paid Ajax ...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Mumha wrote: »

With which he replaced Suarez....the man he claimed couldn't be replaced.

I think you missed the point. :p

Most of Ajax's players come from their academy though....

Anyone else hate the attitude that these mega rich clubs have towards others? It's almost as if we've to respect them and sell them whatever player they'd like. Ridiculous carry on...can definitely see Barca low-balling us on this one.

With which he replaced Suarez....the man he claimed couldn't be replaced.

I think you missed the point. :p

I was commenting on that post in isolation I'll have you know ! :cool:

• Advertisement

Most of Ajax's players come from their academy though....

Anyone else hate the attitude that these mega rich clubs have towards others? It's almost as if we've to respect them and sell them whatever player they'd like. Ridiculous carry on...can definitely see Barca low-balling us on this one.

Liverpool don't have to sell him, though it would be nice to see Real enter the negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

We should offer 30m and Aspas for Neymar

That's 24m....Barca would never go for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Stats bomb article on who we should look to buy to replace Suarez. Interestingly 2 of our very own show up highly on the list. Also Memphis Depay & Shaqiri.

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/who-should-liverpool-buy-to-replace-luis-suarez/

Liverpool don't have to sell him, though it would be nice to see Real enter the negotiations.

Exactly that. We don't have to sell, and I'm thinking JW doesn't want to sell. Would love for Real or another big money club to enter, just to spice things up a lil bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'll be devastated to see him go. But this would probably be the best time to sell him. He won't get more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You are talking like the club has never signed anyone before!

In fairness they have missed out on some recently.
    How the Suarez money is reinvested will most likely determine Liverpools fate for the next few seasons.
    Since Rodgers took charge, signings jave been checkered. The incoming windfall cannot afford to be hit and miss. Top targets have to be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think the days of spending 25 million on world class players is gone.

World class players are now in to 40-100 million bracket.

25 million is the new 15 million! (Especially if it's an English player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Haven't heard him pushing for a transfer

I think he's just being smarter about it this time round and letting others do the talking. Last year I got tired of his antics and didn't care if he stayed or left. Can't say that this year. Hope he stays but won't begrudge him if he leaves.

It's strange it wasn't that long ago we were knocking Barcelona and RMA out of Europe. They both got real powerful real quick. Did they come into some mega TV money or something in Spain? Are we getting left behind because of Champions League money?

Bayern Munich were also touted as a possible option for Suarez last year. This also confused me as I don't see them as an attractive option for the player regarding wages or their domestic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

skywalker wrote: »
    Stats bomb article on who we should look to buy to replace Suarez. Interestingly 2 of our very own show up highly on the list. Also Memphis Depay & Shaqiri.

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/who-should-liverpool-buy-to-replace-luis-suarez/

I have to say, for the most part Shaqiri has been disappointing. I have lost count of the number of times he has collected the ball in an advanced area and immediately offloaded it to move into a different position. It seems like he is intent on including others instead of making things happen himself. Kind of like what Sterling was doing first half of last year?

Based on this tourno, I wouldn't be mad on him, and I wanted him before it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think he's just being smarter about it this time round and letting others do the talking.

Well hes in no position to be bolshy or demanding. Also hes not too bright so probably best he keeps his mouth shut.

As for Bayern and Germany , its a less money mad, corporate culture over there so yeah , it probably wouldnt suit him nor would he suit them.

Im baffled by Liverpools adoration of this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

teddyhead wrote: »
    Also hes not too bright so probably best he keeps his mouth shut.

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Vanolder wrote: »
    Hmmm

Just let it slide. Don't feed the trolls :P :)

At a minimum, he's in the Top 10 players to EVER play for the club.

He's unbelievable at the most difficult part of the game. Scoring and creating chances, yet he bursts his balls chasing down everything as if he was a fan pulled from the kop and asked to help out.

In short, he's incredible, an absolute rarity, and despite all the controversy, I feel privileged to have watched him play in a Liverpool shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can we not keep any of this sh1t in - house anymore.

I doubt we want to! The more bidders who know he is available the better.

Still hoping it is not true of course.

We better get maximum value if he is sold. I hate the idea of getting players in a swap because you question if they actually really wanted the move.

If the latest bite had not happened, I would have said "ok Luis, we kept you an extra season and you dragged us to the CL, you owe us nothing".

I know the club will probably paint it as a "we had to get rid" transfer but to believe that would mean getting rid of the third (maybe even the second last season??!!) best player in the world or principles.

Oh, easy... It's all the impossible goals and assists .

Edit: I see Knex has described it better...with his English degree or whatever. Short stories job, making me look bad....

• Advertisement

Haven't heard him pushing for a transfer

What, the apology that was apparently demanded by Barcelona, that's not him pushing for a transfer to, oh I dunno - Barcelona?

Please...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Just let it slide. Don't feed the trolls :P :)

Indeed, I got a card for calling a troll a troll. Clearly, this is not one of these cases...

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Tell them we want Neymar seeing as himself and Messi aint best buds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

We'll never know one way or the other but I reckon that after last and summer when Suarez signed his deal, he was told he could go if Barcelona or Real came in for him this year.

Why is it that I've come to despise Real Madrid and Barcelona more than Utd and Chelsea?
    Both those clubs behave despicably and yet have the audacity to claim they're holier than thou. At least PL clubs don't try to behave like this (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When we sold Fernando at least he had just had a poor season.

Really tough to let him go right now.

It's time to say goodbye. Be interesting to see how long it takes Barca to get the ban reduced. It they haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Aguero, Nedved, Aldridge. There's a huge list of great players who weren't exactly household names when their club shipped them in to replace an irreplaceable player sold for a huge fee.

Much as I'd like Suarez to stay he's not irreplaceable. Not easy to replace, certainly risky, but not irreplaceable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's time to say goodbye. Be interesting to see how long it takes Barca to get the ban reduced. It they haven't already.

All the more reason for JW to play absolute hardball on the price. Given barcas record on dragging out payment I'd go for cash up front, preferably with Sanchez included. If Madrid could be tempted they have even better makeweights though whether they want him badly enough to include some of those is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

tritium wrote: »
    All the more reason for JW to play absolute hardball on the price. Given barcas record on dragging out payment I'd go for cash up front, preferably with Sanchez included. If Madrid could be tempted they have even better makeweights though whether they want him badly enough to include some of those is debatable.

Dont think Sanchez wants to join LFC though. Reckon it'll be a cash only deal unless they get Pedro included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's strange to think back and remember that the deal looked dead because we were haggling over a few million.

Now it seems like we underpaid when we spent 56 million on him, and 1 million on Andy Carroll on that infamous deadline day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement