Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 *mod warning linked in OP 26/07*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's strange to think back and remember that the deal looked dead because we were haggling over a few million.

Now it seems like we underpaid when we spent 56 million on him, and 1 million on Andy Carroll on that infamous deadline day.

Still massively overpaid for Carroll there though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

It's strange to think back and remember that the deal looked dead because we were haggling over a few million.

Now it seems like we underpaid when we spent 56 million on him, and 1 million on Andy Carroll on that infamous deadline day.

Made some profit on that deal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Club never gets any credit for selling a waning Torres for 50m, and replacing him with Suarez for 25m.

God damn Andy Carroll ruining that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Why is it that I've come to despise Real Madrid and Barcelona more than Utd and Chelsea?
    Both those clubs behave despicably and yet have the audacity to claim they're holier than thou. At least PL clubs don't try to behave like this (yet).

The spain players putting a barca shirt on fabregas, Marca (RM’s propaganda mouthpiece) printing pictures of a RM jersey with bale’s name and number on the back, RM temporarily putting bale jerseys in the club shop window before the deal was finalised, and not the barca tried and tested method of having your players & excecutives charm a target, as we see with Suarez. This went on with fabregas too.

At least you’ll get a very decent amount of cash for Suarez.

This might sound a bit mad but if I was LS I would be very careful about a decision to go to Barcelona. Barcelona is Messi’s fiefdom, we can all see how given a bit more freedom Sanchez and Neymar have displayed their talents to the fullest. They’re simply not given the freedom to play like that at Barcelona, mostly because it’s messi’s team. Ronaldo hasn’t got such a hold on Real Madrid – Bale was integrated into the team far more successfully that Neymar into Barca.

I think Suarez’ competitive character is such that he will not fail to impress if he moves to barca, but I think he’d be a better fit for Real Madrid.
    Maybe I’m wrong.

slingerz wrote: »
    Dont think Sanchez wants to join LFC though. Reckon it'll be a cash only deal unless they get Pedro included

That's the word on the grapevine alright. Just another reason to tempt Madrid since DiMaria might be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It would be great to get Real into the mix. It's obviously not a genius, oracle like call, but whoever got him/gets him would/will win La Liga.

And I still won't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

bad2dabone wrote: »
    The spain players putting a barca shirt on fabregas, Marca (RM’s propaganda mouthpiece) printing pictures of a RM jersey with bale’s name and number on the back, RM temporarily putting bale jerseys in the club shop window before the deal was finalised, and not the barca tried and tested method of having your players & excecutives charm a target, as we see with Suarez. This went on with fabregas too.

And they did it with Masc, and the Real president openly said he was after Alonso in the summer they signed him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

This might sound a bit mad but if I was LS I would be very careful about a decision to go to Barcelona. Barcelona is Messi’s fiefdom, we can all see how given a bit more freedom Sanchez and Neymar have displayed their talents to the fullest. They’re simply not given the freedom to play like that at Barcelona, mostly because it’s messi’s team. Ronaldo hasn’t got such a hold on Real Madrid – Bale was integrated into the team far more successfully that Neymar into Barca.

I think Suarez’ competitive character is such that he will not fail to impress if he moves to barca, but I think he’d be a better fit for Real Madrid.
    Maybe I’m wrong.

I agree, Madrid looks like the better fit for him. I can imagine him playing at the striker position with Ronnie and Bale either side of him, where as it doesnt look as balanced with him Messi and Neymar. Maybe Im wrong but Madrid look like the better option.

What ever happens, a move to either side will start a chain reaction of transfers out of either Real or Barca. The likes of Benzema and Sanchez will most likely move on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'd actually prefer if Suarez went to Real if I'm honest. Greater options to pick up players from there in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Felt physically sick last night when I read the link to The Echo regarding Ayre meeting Barcelona.

We have the 3rd best player in the world and we are possibly going to sell him!!!!! If you want to progress as a club the only reason you'd do that is if you are buying the 1st or 2nd best player in the world and we are not getting Messi or Ronaldo.

Sanchez is not in the top 10 in the world and getting possibly 50 million on top is USELESS unless you can buy a world class goal scoring player.
    I don't care about what he might do in the future, the risks involved, the sponsorship consideration (we bought him after biting in Holland and kept him after Evra and Ivanovic) etc etc he guarantees you goals and a crack at the title - the bloody title!

Again, and I am starting to feel sick and very angry again -
    We have the 3rd best player in the world and we are possibly going to sell him!!!!!

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I agree, Madrid looks like the better fit for him. I can imagine him playing at the striker position with Ronnie and Bale either side of him, where as it doesnt look as balanced with him Messi and Neymar. Maybe Im wrong but Madrid look like the better option.

What ever happens, a move to either side will start a chain reaction of transfers out of either Real or Barca. The likes of Benzema and Sanchez will most likely move on

Any more on the Falcao to RM rumour. I would have thought that's a pretty big risk for them. Its also one thing that would certainly cool their interest in Luis

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

When will FIFA rule on Urugruays appeal? I can see the ban been reduced so we should add another few mil onto the price if a deal hasn't been done by then...balls in John Henrys/Ayres court for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Surely Madrid can see an attacking 3 of Neymar Messi and Suarez would be a massive threat to them and would enter the negotiations. At the very least if i was Madrid I'd come in with an offer making sure Barca pay top dollar to secure Suarez if nothing else. Perhaps thats wishful thinking though.

Suarez will be probably playing his football elsewhere next season but I hope the club stands as firm as they did last summer and get the absolute best deal possible.

I hope negotiations collapse and we keep him though. Better than any cash + player deal available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever the price the lad seems like a class act.

Full page advert, placed in the Southern Daily Echo, thanks the fans for their support during his 14 years at the club.

BrhEZeCCAAA3Enr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Lads, if we sell Suarez, im going to bed for a day or two. Why on earth would we sell him. I just dont understand.
    IMO hes the 3rd best player in the world. I know he does some stupid stuff, but when will we see his class at Anfield again.
    I just dont get it. What do we gain apart from some cash and Sanchez. That leaves a Suarez sized whole in our squad.

He is irreplaceable. No questions. It be fact. Id put money on him being top scorer in prem even if he was out until November. There are not a lot of players I could say that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Maybe I’m wrong.

I think you make a very good point here in regards to Barcelona being Messi's fiefdom! If reports are to be believed some players have been squeezed out due to falling out with Messi!

Rogers has effectively built his team around Suarez and you cannot argue that he hasn't flourished in this system! That's not to say he's lazy (nor Messi nor Ronaldo for that matter) but more so that he is perfectly suited to be the focal point of a team! If he goes to Barca or Real then he will have to play second fiddle to either Ronaldo or Messi!

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a success with either Barca or Real (of course he would) but all world class players are egotistical and goal scorers even more so in my opinion! Either way your essentially going to be pairing two of the top 3 (IMO) current goal scorers together! Fantastic for the team no doubt but the dynamic between the two would/will be fascinating to watch develop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looking at the journalists who broke the London meeting last night (Guardian's Andy Hunter, BBC's Ben Smith, Times' Tony Barrett and Liverpool Echo's James Pearce), it's almost certain that they've been briefed by the club.

After being blind-sided by the Barca-driven apology, this looks like their attempt to wrestle back control of the narrative, and drum up interest from other clubs. We need to hope now that Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Monaco get sucked in.

And regardless of the ban, or that Suarez wants to leave, I absolutely cannot see Henry accepting an offer less than the release clause in his contract, supposedly £70-80m.

IK09 wrote: »
    Lads, if we sell Suarez, im going to bed for a day or two. Why on earth would we sell him. I just dont understand.
    IMO hes the 3rd best player in the world. I know he does some stupid stuff, but when will we see his class at Anfield again.
    I just dont get it. What do we gain apart from some cash and Sanchez. That leaves a Suarez sized whole in our squad.

He is irreplaceable. No questions. It be fact. Id put money on him being top scorer in prem even if he was out until November. There are not a lot of players I could say that about.

You sell him because he wants to go, has orchastrated his move and you will receive a substantial sum for him.

Life goes on and so does LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And regardless of the ban, or that Suarez wants to leave, I absolutely cannot see Henry accepting an offer less than the release clause in his contract, supposedly £70-80m.

This. For all those saying "Why are we selling him??", the answer is the release clause, which was a requirement of him signing that new deal.

He wants to play for one of the big 2 in Spain, that is clear, so the clause was in there to make sure that could happen in the fairest way possible.

We have not actively hawked him just for a pay-day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do people think we have a choice in selling Suarez or not.

A new contract was signed between all parties that obviously contained a legally watertight selling clause for a particular amount or club that Liverpool could not get our of like they did with Arsenal and the infamous £40m +1 bid.

No point in my opinion criticising the club for this and I think Suarez clearly wants out. That "apology" was a huge signal and I think it's time to cash in.

Regarding replacing of him, of course he is replaceable but it's unlikely we'll get anyone as good, so Rodgers will have to adapt the team to a different way without Suarez.

At least the manager will know that it's unlikely to be more controversial incidents regarding biting and racism that will rule him out of 25% of each season.

• Advertisement

Sure Andy Carroll is a more than capable of plugging that hole, sure hes twice the size :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm confused now...I thought the contract was a guarantee that he would stay at the club.

I thought I was reading my own post 10 minutes earlier when I read yours above! I am of the same feeling, totally sickened.

I'm confused now...I thought the contract was a guarantee that he would stay at the club.

Contracts don't mean a lot in football. Something John Henry complained about when he first came to Liverpool

You sell him because he wants to go, has orchastrated his move and you will receive a substantial sum for him.

Life goes on and so does LFC.

He was orchestrating a move to go even more last season and we didn't sell him?
    A substantial sum is useless unless you are replace him with the same quality or higher. There are only a handful of players in the world of his quality and we are not going to get them to move to Liverpool. Sanchez is not of the same quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Maybe after we sell Suarez we'll be able to afford to bring Andy Carroll "home".

Every cloud.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Me too, I'd love to sign a new contract for an extension with my job on nearly double my wages and then go to a competitor whenever I can attract their attention without so much as a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Me too, I'd love to sign a new contract for an extension with my job on nearly double my wages and then go to a competitor whenever I can attract their attention without so much as a care in the world.

Ok let's not feel sorry for soccer clubs! They take advantage of far more players than the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Seaba wrote: »
    I thought I was reading my own post 10 minutes earlier when I read yours above! I am of the same feeling, totally sickened.

Ugh, get a room.

• Advertisement

Slut.

Knex. wrote: »
    Slut.

If I worked for Yahoo, worked hard, bettered myself and the company, then got a pay bump and continued to work hard and better the company.... then google swing in and offer me better working conditions and a pay rise and I take them up on teh offer. Id be delighted and I see nothing wrong with it.

Fair play to Luis. Its harsh on Liverpool but ya cant blame him

A substantial sum is useless unless you are replace him with the same quality or higher. There are only a handful of players in the world of his quality and we are not going to get them to move to Liverpool. Sanchez is not of the same quality.

So are you saying that Suarez should only be sold if we can buy Ronaldo or Messi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    Contracts don't mean a lot in football. Something John Henry complained about when he first came to Liverpool

I get that...however several posters were insistent that this contract meant he was staying.

If I worked for Yahoo, worked hard, bettered myself and the company, then got a pay bump and continued to work hard and better the company.... then google swing in and offer me better working conditions and a pay rise and I take them up on teh offer. Id be delighted and I see nothing wrong with it.

Yes but you probably aren't signing a contract to stay with yahoo for x amount of time. Footballers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We are not privy to what was said last summer to keep Suarez at Anfield. We should be grateful some of the big 2 in Spain did not go looking for him last summer. The reality is Suarez wants a move to either Barca / Real and nothing will change his mind on this. Of course the ball is in our court, if they don't pay up we don't sell

• Advertisement

Slut.

I prefer to think of myself as a mercenary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes but you probably aren't signing a contract to stay with yahoo for x amount of time. Footballers are.

I don't think there can be any doubt that there isn't a watertight release clause in his new contract, allowing him to leave, at least to the Spanish clubs, for between £70 - 80m.

Barca will undoubtedly try to get him for less, considering his recent antics, but I think Liverpool will dig their heels in, as well they should.

Let's hope Linda hasn't been giving John W any for a while and he is bad form while this Barca meeting is on!

I wasn't being remotely serious :D

I fully agree with ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dont think Sanchez wants to join LFC though. Reckon it'll be a cash only deal unless they get Pedro included

They can shove Pedro up their hole, I wouldn't want him at all. Seems to me to average at best, prob be lucky to get 10 Premier League goals a season out of him at best! His touch and distribution can be woeful at times.

• Advertisement

If Tello is part of any deal I will cry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

and equally clubs sign contracts commiting themselves to paying the player for X amount of time but sometimes they change their mind and want to offload the player e.g. Reina at the moment and when the player reminds them he still has 52 X 2 X £100,000 = £10.4m left on his contract the club (and many fans) start to blame the player for being greedy etc.

Clubs wanting to terminate contracts and offload players = players wanting to terminate contracts and join another club. That's just life. the best thing to do, which I believe LFC and most successful PL clubs do these days, is recognise that all players have a value and if that value can be secured from the acquiring club then the loss of the player = the cash received and everyone is happy. I know some people will say Suarez is "priceless" etc but the reality is no one is priceless. The graveyard is full of people who were "irreplaceable".

Ben

If Tello is part of any deal I will cry!

So... Its not him you're looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

BenThere wrote: »
    The graveyard is full of people who were "irreplaceable".

Ben-what does that even mean?!

Mr Alan wrote: »

*Dons Philosopher hat*

I believe Ben is stating that they're are plenty of people gone and forgotten about, who were once labeled as irreplaceable, and have since proven to be otherwise.

I don't think you can replace Suarez though. You can change the team, and perhaps have similar success, but you can't replace.

I can't think of a single player that makes me laugh like a fucking school girl on such a regular basis.

So... Its not him you're looking for?
    Hello it's not Tello & Pedro no.

Sanchez has to be involved in any deal

Montoya, Alba & Deulofeu I would be very happy with if palyers are involved in deal.

Song I would take as well.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Speaks for itself Alan. Tesla, James Joyce and Hendrix were all irreplaceable but yet the world moved on without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Speaks for itself Alan. Tesla, James Joyce and Hendrix were all irreplaceable but yet the world moved on without them.

They never scored 30 Prem League goals in a season for Liverpool tho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

We are not privy to what was said last summer to keep Suarez at Anfield. We should be grateful some of the big 2 in Spain did not go looking for him last summer. The reality is Suarez wants a move to either Barca / Real and nothing will change his mind on this. Of course the ball is in our court, if they don't pay up we don't sell

Looks like another username change coming up for you either way....giving your record, I think we'd all be grateful if you could resist using "Sturridgeistheman", "Sterlingistheman" or "Coutinhoistheman".

I think "GlenJohnsonistheman" would keep everyone happy

Ya i'd agree he was orchestrating for a move last season but didnt have the interest from Spain that is there now. Liverpool also wouldnt sell to a EPL competitior. Barca/Real fit the bill for both club and player so its going to happen once a sizeable fee is agreed.

Time to accept it and move on methinks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement